Start by marking “A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)

A Darkness At Sethanon

(The Riftwar Saga #4)

A Darkness at Sethanon is the stunning climax to Raymond E. Feist's brilliant epic fantasy trilogy, the Riftwar Saga.

Here be dragons and sorcery, swordplay, quests, pursuits, intrigues, stratagems, journeys to the darkest realms of the dead and titanic battles between the forces of good and darkest evil.

Here is the final dramatic confrontation between Arutha and Murmanda
Mass Market Paperback, 527 pages
Published 1987 by Grafton Books (first published February 7th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about A Darkness At Sethanon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Darkness At Sethanon

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Lord have mercy, at one point I thought one of my characters was dead and I thought, don't be doing this to me today. Don't make me get all cray up in here! But, it's all good =)

This book and the one before it were my favorites. The whole series is sooooooo good though.

Everyone is back in this book even if it's just a little part here and there.

There some evilness out to kill Arutha again. I mean leave him the hell alone! So we are off to see the wizard again. <-- Heh, I didn't even realiz
Matthew
I gave this a star rating back before I was adding reviews to every book - I am sad about that because this book is a great ending to a great saga and I hope that a verbal review will draw more readers to the flame of Feist's fantasy world! Even though this ends the Riftwar Saga, there are many more books in the series overall to keep this story going!

Thanks to Melissa for reminding me to come back and recommend this series on others! If you are a fantasy fan, you owe it to yourself to read this
Choko
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
*** 4 ***

A buddy read with some friends @ BBB

"...“power is limited to the strength of will within the man who holds it. Falter in your resolve and you will fall. Remain steadfast and you shall prevail. Always remember that. "..."

This was a nice way to wrap things up for this first arc of 4 books in the Riftwar Saga. It started a bit shaky, there were some meandering passages, but overall, it was a classic Fantasy which hit a lot of favorite notes for the fans of the genre.

Loved Jimmy and Loky
Hasham Rasool
I am satisfied with the conclusion of the 'Riftwar Saga' Alhamdulillah!

'Magician' is the best book in the series.
Wanda
A satisfying end to an acceptable fantasy series. The Riftwar books suffer by comparison to modern high fantasy series, but in their day, they were the next step for those looking for a LOTR substitute. At least Feist came up with his own version of The Enemy to deal with, instead of just dusting off Tolkien’s idea, changing a few names and calling it good.

Yes, there are elves, goblins, trolls, and such—and although they share some characteristics with their counterparts in other fantasy litera
Brenton
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Meh.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but when I read Magician I thought Feist's writing was pretty decent, if heavy on fantasy tropes (some of which I'm sure he helped create). So I don't know if his writing got worse or my tolerance of it went down since then, but I just found this book a trifle tedious. The dialogue is trite, there's far too much overblown exposition, everything "seems" to do something or does something "as though" doing something else, and by god could you not change POV without war
Graeme Rodaughan
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Epic Fantasy Aficionados
Thank the gods of Midkemia - an ending worthy of the name. The final book of the Riftwar Saga brings all the threads together and weaves a seamless ending of multi-level conflicts filled with dramatic and emotional power.

This ending was a relief after witnessing some really terrible endings recently (Here's looking at you JKR and Netflix)... Enuf said.

As is typical with Raymond E. Feist, the story is rich with feeling, the characters are wonderfully developed, (except the bad guys - which we'll
Mary King
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Not one strong female in the entire series. After reading the entire Wheel of Time series (where strong females grace every storyline) last year I wandered off to see more of the fantasy genre. Sadly I will not be reading anymore Feist. I loved the fast pace but hated the sexism. The main women in the storyline are always beautiful and never have anything helpful to say. They are always badgering the male characters.

Like another reviewer I don't believe it was done maliciously, it just seemed to
Bradley
I'm so glad I squeezed it in for the end of the year. :) Reading A Darkness at Sethanon again after so many years and having loved the series BOTH times, I feel kind of sad having finished it. I could keep going forever.

Fortunately, I might be able to. Feist has kept writing since I finished these the first time. :) :)

We see a lot more of the dragons, Pug, and Thomas in this one. But let's not forget about Jimmy the Hand! Martin Longbow! Getting to know past enemies and butting heads with new is
Penny
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this is very satisfying last book in a series (within a series). The Riftwar Saga is home to some of my all time favourite characters and even the ones I just kinda liked rather than adored all had their place and contributed to my enjoyment of this book.

I'm so happy not to be experiencing the series hangover I often get at the end of a great trilogy since there are still many series within a series waiting to be read :) I've heard nothing but good things about The Empire Trilogy so I'm
Lena
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AE46BA74-7ECF-4295-BA45-74DEA1D13FAD.jpg
“They were images of terrible beauty, magnificent beings of astonishing power, in armor of bright color and splendid form, riding upon the backs of ancient dragons.”

The Enemy is here!

Quests, magic, intrigues, passion, mystery, and revenge culminate in an explosive battle to close out the Rift War Tetralogy.

Did I mention the DRAGONS?

After four books this was a real first pump of an ending! And there are thirty more books!

“Then we can celebrate. Damn me, but if we don’t have a reason, no one
Kaitlin
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a mixed one for me because some of it I really enjoyed whilst other parts were very slow and dragged on so much I couldn't be bothered with it. For the third book in the trilogy and the final part of this storyline I was expecting something rather epic, and although this storyline does have some wonderful aspects and some chilling and crazy scenes, a large majority of the story seems a bit redundant and dull.

This is the continuation of book 2 and is much more in line with the story
Heather
Aug 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: series fantasy addicts
Recommended to Heather by: Chip
Kostas
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy, fantasy
9/10

From the beginning till the end of the Riftwar Saga Feist managed to create a lot of expectations for the world of Midkemia and, indeed, in A Darkness at Sethanon, the fourth and final part, he comes and fulfils them in the best way bringing a strong, complex and rich story, as he gives more depth both to the characters and also to the world-building itself, and takes us to an incredible adventure of fantasy through space and time.

A year has passed since the events of the mysterious Silverth
Michael T Bradley
Aug 18, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a difficult book to codify. I like a lot of things that occur in this book (Locklear's sudden jumps of character being at the top; he was my favorite character from the start, and where his arc goes in unexpected & interesting). And the first 2/3 of the book are not dull. And I liked that the reveal of the "Enemy," while a little less than mind-blowing, did make a lot of sense, and followed from the things the book had been focusing on, and was not just some sort of 'big threat from ...more
Noel
Oct 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so disappointed in this series. I loved Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master, but after that, the series took a turn. Silverthorn and A Darkness At Sethanon have a completely different feel than the Magician books. The magic practically disappears, and the majority of both books are composed of battle after battle after battle. It's incredibly tedious. The series should have stopped after Magician: Master.

If you're interested in reading this series, my recommendation is to definitely r
Jon
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: FBCS Riftwar Saga May 2011 Selection
The final installment to the Riftwar Saga series contained page-turning action and most of the answers to mysteries and questions posed from earlier in the series, including a surprise twist that posed ... more questions. While I enjoyed reading A Darkness at Sethanon, I felt the characters gained less growth this time around, being more reactive to the harsh circumstances thrown at them on their quest to stop Murandamus. The Pug, Tomas and Macros cameo chapters intrigued me the most, providing ...more
Jim
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
This felt more like the second part of Silverthorn than an entirely separate book, but was very good. It wraps up the Rift War pretty well. The characters can still go on, as people do, but so many loose ends were tied up for me that I really appreciated it.
Aaron
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very happy with how the saga ended. I wrapped things up so that it could end yet left certain possibilities open for the story to continue. I plan on reading more of the author’s work within this word
Jeremy Brown
Jul 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mycollection
I personally felt that A Darkness at Sethanon is a very good book and a fitting end to a very good fantasy series. The author stepped up the action quite a bit and the battle of Armengar is just amazing. If there is one thing about The Riftwar Saga that I will always remember, it is the battle of Armengar. The rest of the action is very well written and the author's use of the character Guy was superbly done. While I really enjoyed the battle scenes in the novel, I was really confused by some of ...more
David Pearson
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Really struggled over what to rate this, and think over time it may drop to a 3/5. The characters are great, and the story interesting, but the lack of rules to the magic system made things somewhat easy in some situations. Tomas & Pugs quest got a bit weird and I felt it quite out of place with the rest of the book, Mario kart rainbow road the worst of it.
Dirk Grobbelaar
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
I'm slightly conflicted about the rating I've given this book. The problem is: any review of this book will inevitably be a review of the entire Riftwar Saga. Perhaps this novel is a better spiritual successor to Magician than Silverthorn was, since it elaborates more closely on the events of the aforementioned. On the other hand, Silverthorn introduced some pivotal characters and bridged the gap between Magician and A Darkness At Sethanon nicely. On its own, A Darkness At Sethanon probably garn ...more
Christopher
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Neha Singh
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2018
Finally the first series of riftwar cycle has come to an end. I really loved it and have a lot to talk about.

Full review - http://randombookthought.blogspot.com...
Thomas
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maja Ingrid
Let’s be honest here. The real reason I’ve given the last two books 4 stars is partly out of nostalgia. Was this the first time I read the series I would likely rate it 3 stars. But my 13-14 year old self would beat the crap out of me (I was more fit back then) if I gave the series less than 4 stars and you don’t mess with your past self. I will still always love it because it’s my roots (along with Eddings and Paolini) when it comes to fantasy.

I’m not too fond of the writing. It has a thing wh
Pallavi
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantacy
****5.0****

The last book in The Riftwar Saga is a concluding part for the evil that was raising in the last book. Here Murmandamus is rising in full force after a year's hibernation. Arutha is still tormented by Murmandamus in different ways.

Arutha comes across traitor branded Guy du Bas-Tyra as the protector of the city Armengar which is threatened by the dark army of Murmandamus. They all figure out what Murmandamus is behind of! So they team up against Murmandamus.

And Pug who was left out in
Nick
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A fitting end to the Riftwar Saga. I have a couple of gripes involving the romanctic relationships of Martin and Locklear which seem played up in order to elicit an emotional response from the reader, but come off as somewhat ridiculous. The chronic issue plaguing the series as a whole continues as there are yet again no well developed women characters. I feel like Feist tried with the creation of an egalitarian warrior society where women are seen as equal to men, but the three women we meet on ...more
Stefano G.
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book, satisfying ending, really worth reading if you want to finish the series!

Feist's writing really improves as the series progresses, and in many aspects A Darkness at Sethanon feels like the best book in the series. The plot itself is rather predictable, but the world-building really comes along, especially in Pug's and Tomas's odyssey through the cosmos and space-time, you view crazy places and creatures. Frankly, this was too abstract for me, and somewhat hard to follow but it defin
Katy
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Overall, a satisfactory conclusion to the trilogy (not quite the series - he's written a few more set in the same world, but this finishes the stuff that should be read close together). Just one bit I wanted to mention. Just remember that these books are considered a classic in fantasy writing from the mid 80s.

One of the characters is a magician who appears to be exceptionally long lived - he pops up at critical points in the first couple of books, but explains some of his history towards the en

• Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master (Premiere)
  • In the Realm of the Wolf
  • Master and Fool (Book of Words, #3)
  • King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)
  • Warhost of Vastmark (Wars of Light & Shadow, #3; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #2)
  • Wizardborn (Runelords, #3)
  • Presságios de Inverno (Acácia, #2)
  • The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)
  • The Seventh Gate (The Death Gate Cycle, #7)
  • Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #2)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more

The Riftwar Saga (4 books)
  • Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1)
  • Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga #2)
  • Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3)
“I know you'll think this odd, but I find it strangely exhilarating not knowing what's coming next.” 22 likes
“Your destiny is now your own to forge as best as you may.” 9 likes