Start by marking “Anti-Sentient” as Want to Read:

Anti-Sentient

Strange things are happening in Los Angeles: a vintage guitar shop owner finds a strange woman lingering near his shop as he closes up for the night; a homeless man attacks a waitress returning home from the late shift; the residents of a West Los Angeles apartment complex are awoken in the middle of the night to discover a group of strange people attacking a man in the bu ...more
ebook
Published April 26th 2012 by Spore Press

To ask other readers questions about Anti-Sentient, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anti-Sentient

World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoThe End by Mark TufoFeed by Mira Grant
Best Zombie Books
1,256 books — 2,900 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 1 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
1,523 books — 4,208 voters

More lists with this book...

Robin
Jun 25, 2012 rated it liked it
First off let me say I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend it. The story is interesting and fast paced, the zombie origin is well thought out,the zombies truly creeped me out, and the characters (in the first half/three quarters of the book) are well drawn and believable. That being said this book is way too short. The last half felt rushed, and the characters loose something in the rushing towards an end to the story.
Sheila
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ms. butler quickly established characters you could care about and one despicable one you hope gets his just reward. If you're a fan of zombie stories , this one takes off quickly and never stops. A fun and scarey read!
Mary Ellen
Nov 30, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE AUDIOBOOK VERSION.

DISCLAIMER: I received a free copy of this book for review purposes.

My problem with the book is the woman hired to do the narration. While I appreciate her efforts to convey emotion, they were simply too overwrought. This made many of the characters seem shrill, hysterical, and instantly unlikeable. It also undermined the growing horror of the story, because rather than a gradual realization of the threat and a corresponding increase in fear, the characte
Gregory
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
"Anti-Sentient" or: "Characterization in Times of Trouble".
Essentially a short story about 1000 zombies somehow throwing an entire urban center into chaos, Ms. Butler jars the reader into and out of Family-Guy-esque, non-sequitur character-defining segues, with little heed for pacing. While I appreciate getting to know my protagonists, these segments come at the expense of the story. I am most of the way through the book, and know everything about the characters, except why I should care about t
Christoph Fischer
"Anti-Sentient" by Linda J. Butler is the story of Abby, her boyfriend and some of their neighbours as they are trying to escape an apocalyptic Zombie epidemic in LA. The phenomenon has been created by a new psycho-pharmaceutical trial, something which Abby's father is responsible for.
As you can imagine, the personal conflicts in this story and the side-theme of drug testing and its ethics make this book a particularly gripping read with more than 'just' Zombie action.
I found the beginning sligh
Wanda Hartzenberg
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
By Lind J Butler
Narrator Lisa Cartmell
Date 2012
Length : 5 hr, 9 min. 55 sec.
Story
This is a post apocalyptic book with a focus on strained relationships, which gives it a rather unique twist, how do you survive in a world bent on destroying you if you can't trust your own father? Read this book and find out.
Production
Narrator Lisa Cartmell did a good job in narrating this book, capturing and keeping a grip on my imagination as she takes me from one character to the next.
Recommendatio
Janie
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I will admit the cover freaked me out a bit but once I got on to the reading I was hooked and read it in one sitting :)
This was such a refreshingly NEW take on Zombies. I loved how the author used a drugs trial as the start. I really enjoyed this book and is a MUST read for anyone who likes a good gritty read :)
EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!
Tramov
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Butler comes up with some novel ideas towards a by now well played out genre. That being said, what really soured me in this book was the characters. Aside from being two-dimensional, they seemed to have their lives and jobs pulled from the bucket labeled Hip Jobs for Characters.
Taj
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
its a great read that move quickly into what everyone is reading it for...ZOMBIES. A very well thought out story that introduces characters you relate to and grow to know quickly and is definitely a must read.
Ann
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a really scary book, a real page turner. I don't even read this genre, but I couldn't put it down. I really recommend it!
T
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Easy, enjoyable read. Some really funny lines (in a sick, twisted kind of way.) Quick but fairly solid character development.
Alice
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
zombies in LA !
Sky
Jul 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, this is one of the worst books I've read. I'm not even sure why I finished it. The plot is kind of dumb and nonsensical. 1300 zombies somehow throw all of West LA into chaos, and the characters run in to gangs of dozens of zombies or more several times throughout the book. So apparently a sizable portion of the zombies are concentrated in the area where the characters happen to be. What terrible luck!

Also, the characters are all cliches. This is actually kind of funny, because each tim
Sharon VanOrman
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The very first home that I ever owned was a small bungalow that was built in the 1920's. Electricity had been added after the home was built. There were all kinds of switches and plugs that were random, at best. I had no idea what went with what. For me, the easiest way to figure things out was to just start pushing buttons and flipping switches. It was an effective experiment and certainly helped me figure things out.

But what happens when the switches that you are flipping are genetic markers?
Brian Bigelow
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where do I start? This book is about an experiment that has gone horribly wrong. I'll say it has a few warnings between the lines. You might want to stay away from clinical trials especially if genetic manipulation is involved. Technically they aren't zombies in the conventional sense of the term, however they mostly act that way.

I thought the storyline was really good and the book is well-written. It took me a few hours to read and I had a hard time putting it down because I had to see what wa
Charles Vrooman
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a well written novel with great character development. The zombies are used as vehicles to bring out the personalities and emotions of the various individuals in this story. The relationship between Abigail and her father is the driving force behind the plot of this novel.
This is not just a tale about zombies, but instead it’s a story about how real live humans react to dead zombies. The way Linda Butler handles the reactions of her various characters makes for a great novel.
Linda
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: oh-the-horror
3.5 stars, marked down to 3 because of typos, the occasional bit of bad grammar and the flagrant misuse of semi-colons. This was a good enjoyable story with nice characterization, but would have been better if edited. Some parts of the story seemed very rushed, which was strange interspersed with the characters' detailed backstories.
Lauren
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally a fresh take on zombies! A young woman and her boyfriend watch people killing one another outside of their window. Her father offers them shelter. Little did they know the nightmare that was waiting on them. I absolutely fell into this story and did not want it to end. The only part that threw me was the ending. When you get to it you'll understand why I am confused. WaAR
Alma
Sep 01, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No me gusto paRa nada, mal desarrollo de los personajes, final abrupto y sin sentido, la trama tiene muchisimas fallas y aunque la literatura zombie es por definicion, cliché, este libro hace uso y mal uso de los mismos,, nada recomendable!
Shelley Sikorski
Sadly my dear friend and first time author Linda passed away last week from Breast Cancer... She fought a good fight... This book was excellent and so sad she didn't finish her second.. But she got to live her dream and have this published... Please give a read in Linda's honour....
Rick Urban
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story - I loved the characters!
BlushedBindings
Jun 02, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
Too choppy, too junked up, too stupid! I didn't like any of the characters or connect with them
Which is kinda important for a "zombie eats your face off "book!!
Joe
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really quick read! Not a whole lot of substance but I was totally okay with it because it was essentially nonstop action! I really enjoyed this book!
Linda
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Margaret
Paranormal and Ho...: New Zombie Novel 3 11 Sep 01, 2012 01:02AM
The Zombie Group!: New Book Anti-Sentient 2 14 Jul 06, 2012 02:30PM

• Dead Nations' Army Book One: Code Flesh
  • Apocalypse
  • Deluge of the Dead  (Sovereign Spirit Saga, #3)
  • A Game of Chance (Dana Whitestone #2)
  • Closure
  • Choices
  • Fathom (Crescent Moon Bay, #1)
  • Universal Guardians: The Royal Descendant
  • Zombielicious
  • Killing Silence (The Loser Mysteries, #1)
  • The In Between (The In Between, #1)
  • Shedding Skin: Two Tales of Horror and Identity
  • Brushfire Plague
  • Insanity Plea
  • The Secret of Spirits Bay
  • Dead Things
  • Close Quarters
  • Fing
From the age of ten, I wanted to read adult novels. I remember sneaking The Godfather from my Mother's bag and being captivated. I tried to read The Autobigoraphy of Malcolm X next, but I just couldn't wrap my mind around the the concepts and the language. It would become a favorite book of mine as an adult, and always remind me of my mother and her love of reading.
I fell in love with horror the