Start by marking “Warhorses of Letters” as Want to Read:
Warhorses of Letters

Warhorses of Letters

The world's greatest gay, equine, military, epistolary romance.

These powerfully moving letters were exchanged between two of the most significant warhorses in history: the dignified Marengo, devoted bearer of Napoleon; and the dashing Copenhagen, a slightly flighty racehorse who became the warhorse of the Duke of Wellington.

Originally made public by the highly acclaimed BB
Hardcover, Special Limited, 115 pages
Published May 2012 by Unbound (first published November 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Warhorses of Letters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warhorses of Letters

Eva Müller
All I can think of is how the production-meeting at the BBC went, where they came up with that idea.

"I have a great new idea for a radio-series!"
"What?"
"An episotolary romance!"
"Yeah, cause we haven't had dozends of those, yet."
"A gay epistolary romance."
"Still not original enough."
"Set during the Napoleonic war."
"Please..."
"And they're fighting on opposing sides."
"Cause that is so new..."
"They're Napoleon's and Wellington's war-horses."
"That...What drugs are you on?"
"You don't like my idea?"
"I.
Jacob
Copenhagen to Marengo: ...I am just a big, handsome racehorse with amazing muscle definition and huge eyelashes, and now I am walking slowly towards you, whinnying gently to let you know I am aroused...

Marengo to Copenhagen: I am approaching you with a crop and spurs - you are wearing leather blinkers but at the sound of me you start to quiver - the whip comes down on your saucy waggling rump...
(Warhorses of Letters, p. 29)

Oh, my.

Love letters between Marengo, Napoleon Bonaparte's personal warhor
Mir
May 20, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: epistolary

The world's greatest gay, equine, military, epistolary romance.
Sam
This is a rather entertaining collection of letters between Copenhagen (Wellington's Horse) and Marengo (Napoleon's Horse) as they establish and develop a relationship often unspoken amongst horse-kind (that between English and French horses, obviously). I haven't heard the original radio version of these but still found them really funny and highly amusing (although I think some of the people on the train were getting a little concerned by my chuckling). The letters are brilliantly written and ...more
Reni
The series is currently airing, and it sounded pretty cute, so I thought I'd check out the first series. And yes, it is very cute and absurdly funny once you get your head around the bizarre idea of horses writing love letters. My only complaint would be that it's so short.

I do wonder though how the producers convinced the BBC to air a radiodrama about an epistolary romance between homosexual horses.
Laura ★☮☯
This started off as such a funny read. It has very witty humour and I really enjoyed the epistolary genre but it started dragging a little towards the end.
Quite enjoyable as a quick read!!

Camilla
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Wow. Um. I'm not entirely sure how to describe this. These are the letters between two gay warhorses, one Wellington's, and one Napoleon's. It's absolutely hilarious, and I'd highly recommend it if you haven't given it a listen yet--the second season is out now, too. The voices are both perfect, and there's even humor in the narration at the beginning and end of each episode.

Jo Brand
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Probably better read (or listened to, Stephen Fry recorded the passages of Marengo) in small stints as it became repetitive and jokes got tiresome.
M
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: genre-historical
Cutely done, charmingly transgressive, a little less actual history than I was hoping for.
Cristina
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You don't expect a satire love story about warhorses to break your heart, but then op there you go and there are tears all over the place. One of the most random, funny reads expertly well done.
Spring Horton
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Warhorses of Letters is billed as the greatest epistolary romance and it really is...at least as far as gay horses go. The book is a lot of fun and I love that it's written as if it truly were factual with little tidbits and footnotes written in. I'm sorry, that should say hoofnotes.

If you've been lucky enough to see some of it performed live then it just adds to the fun. The authors are wonderful people and very helpful to fellow authors and just insanely funny! And on top of that, it manages
Gabi Coatsworth
Silly but amusing. These are the love letters between Napoleon's horse, Marengo, and The Duke of Wellington's horse, Copenhagen. The horses are male, so if you're not into gay equine romance, don't read it. On the other hand, I didn't know I liked gay equine romance before I read this. The letters are cleverly done, with a little history thrown in, but the book is based on a BBC radio series and that may be why it has an unfinished air about it. Only 49 pages, so a quick read, but only available ...more
Rachel
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A quick read but a great one. Having heard these originally on Radio 4 it is impossible to read without hearing Stephen Fry's dulcet tones as Marengo. The added hoofnotes (especially that about So Macho) were a bonus!
Mohammed Al-bulushi
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
A quick and funny read
Ginny Handy
Jun 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
I only made it through 10 minutes. no idea what this author was thinking. it's literally 2 gay horses sending love letters. odd
Nicole L.
Sep 01, 2012
Amy Barnes
Dec 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Cover for Zum Schluss ein Pferdekuss 2 11 Jan 18, 2018 10:08AM