Start by marking “Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga #2)” as Want to Read:
Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga #2)

Magician: Master

(The Riftwar Saga #2)

He held the fate of two worlds in his hands...

Once he was an orphan called Pug, apprenticed to a sorcerer of the enchanted land of Midkemia.. Then he was captured and enslaved by the Tsurani, a strange, warlike race of invaders from another world.

There, in the exotic Empire of Kelewan, he earned a new name--Milamber. He learned to tame the unnimagined powers that lay with
Mass Market Paperback, Author's Preferred Edition, 499 pages
Published January 1993 by Spectra Books (first published November 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Magician, please sign up.
John The publisher has not authorized an ebook. You can submit a request via amazon

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I have never read a book that jumped ahead so many years in my life. I feel like everyone should be old and barely getting around at this point. Okay, it wasn't that bad. Lol. It makes me wonder though how the other books are going to go with Pug. I'm assuming he's in the next two books with the others that weren't killed in this book.

I'm worried about what his going on with Tomas.

I still love so many of the characters and I was starting to list them all and thought that list was getting too bi
Choko
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
*** 4 ***

A buddy read with the Fantasy Fans @ BBB!

This was a very strong second installment to this series. Pug and his friends have lived 8 years after the faithful moment the two best friends, Tomas and Pug, were separated and faced their very different paths. Tomas was gifted with a magical armor, while Pug was taken to the world of the invaders and after being a slave for a while, was sat on a journey to discover his limits in the magical arts.

The war has been exposing the weaknesses of the
Bradley
I'm SO happy to realize that my original love of these books in my youth remains as bright in my middle age. :)

As a matter of fact, now that I've had a lot of time to read and process a very large assortment of fantasy novels both epic and derivative and sometimes both, I can confidently say that this may very well be as good as the WoT series that I have been known to put so much store by.

Impressive, no?

So Much Happens. Pug gets kidnapped in the previous book and sent to an alternate world acr
Maria Dimitrova
Buddy read with the Fantasy lovers of BB&B.

The previous book left us unsure of the ultimate fates of our heroes. So, naturally, I was excited to read this one and find out what will happen with them. Magician: Master did not disappoint!

Most of Pug's POV were on Kelewan - the world from which the Tsuranni invaders hail. It was a fascinating world, filled with strange creatures and bizarre fauna, complex political and social order and powerful magicians. As usual I had major problems with the
Matthew
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Still great the second time! I only read the first four the first time around. I plan to read them all now.

Warning to readers! Book 1 and 2 really are "book one" of a trilogy. Frequently they are combined into one volume (Magician) If you only read the first book, this is not a case where you get the complete first part of the story. You really need to read a least the first two before you will be able to tell if this story is for you or not!
Wanda
Lots of plot, very little characterization. The young men of the first book, Pug and Tomas, grow up and by second book’s end are reunited. Several things felt a little off to me—that both youngsters should have such an easy time becoming very powerful men, that Macros would instigate treachery rather than negotiate with the Midkemians & Tsurani, and that everyone at book’s end would just be so accepting of that whole situation. In fact, so many potentially highly charged situations are solve ...more
Michael *Windrunner*
Good news - 15ish years later I still enjoyed this story.
Michael Y. Patuwo
Jun 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
After "Magician: Apprentice", I was hoping that the second half of the Feist's Magician series would deliver closure to the multitude of plot threads that have been constructed in the first half, but as it turned out, I was disappointed. There are many problems with this book that impede my enjoyment, because every other page of the book seems to make me look up and whisper to myself, "What? Why? How is this reasonable? Why do I have to see this scene? Why is the guy I'm supposed to be rooting f ...more
Gary
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Magician: Master sees Pug go from being a slave in the Tsuranuanni Empire, to becoming a great magician of the Assembly, a Great One, by the name of Milamber.
It is here that we learn of the intricate fascinating world of Kelewan (the Tsurani home world) where giant, intelligent insectoid creatures called Cho-Ja reside, as well as six legged bovine creatures called Needra.
Bees are not yellow and black striped but bright red, eagles have yellow bands on their wings, and hawks are purple.
Unlike Pug
Lena
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A3062091-469B-497A-9853-73F565666E55.jpg

Oh hell yes.

Violence, betrayal, sex, intrigue, magic, mystery, romance, humor, and bone deep joy.

Every time I thought the story would be bogged down by a character’s trial, or politics, something would be solved and another plot point would carry on.

This book flowed.

I can’t say enough good things about this story. If you’ve never read these works of Feel-Good-Fantasy you should.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
4/5; 4 stars; A-

I really enjoyed the characters and the adventure in this book. It seemed quite a bit tighter than the first book in the series. I was going to read book three now but think I will switch to Daughter of the Empire to get the viewpoint from Kelewan during the Riftwar.
Sud666
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In the land of Midkemia there is a rift that leads to another world. This world is the Empire of Tsuranuanni, losely modeled after Japan during the Shogunate Era, and they are invading. This is the background for this story. A young boy named Pug is taken by the Tsurani and turned into a slave. But his fortunes change and he is taken in by a noble Tsurani family. There he is found to possess great magical ability. He is taken by the Mages of Tsurani to be trained as a Great One.

There are many ot
Megan Baxter
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
My complaint about the first volume of this saga was that everything felt very mundane. Feist may have been one of the first to do these things, but there wasn't much more to the book. It was fine, but not exhilarating, and I've seen the "young man joins a band of heroic travellers; discovers destiny" paint by numbers a million times. I was taken to task by some people for not recognizing Feist as a pioneer in the field. My position remains: that's fine. Maybe if this was the first of the genre ...more
Mrs. S
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the Riftwar Saga. This was a new author for me but I have always been a fan of fantasy novels. The first book, Magician: Apprentice was okay, but this book was great. For just the one scene where Pug, now called Milamber, first uses his full magical powers, the book is worth recommending. Fortunately, the entire book is highly entertaining and VERY readable.

Synopsis: A rift has been created between two worlds. In this book, Pug is a slave on Kelewan, the capital city o
George Jankovic
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one. It's better than the first book. My favorite scene is when Milamber gets mad. Reminded me of Rand in the Wheel of Time.
Jeremy Brown
Jul 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mycollection
Magician: Master is a deeply engrossing story which is fairly straight forward from beginning to end. Based on the title of the novel and the actions in Magician: Apprentice it is obvious that the book will revolve around Pug’s capture and his training to become a Master Magician. This book involves more political intrigue and less action than Magician: Apprentice but the author manages to make the political intrigue interesting enough to make me not lose interest in reading the novel.

The one ma
Josh
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adventure, fantasy
Aaron
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. It was a good second book in the rift war series. I found myself wanting to order the next book as I got closer to finishing this one. I really enjoyed the overall feel of the book. The world building and characters are great! The only way I can describe this book is an old feeling wholesome story. It really made me feel like I was transported back in time to when this story took place. The ending was a little strange. It didn’t leave off with as much of a cliffhanger as I would have ...more
Jon
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jon by: FBCS February 2011 Selection
The second half of Magician became increasingly dark as I approached the climactic end to the Kelewan-Midkemian Riftwar. I observed definite growth to full maturity between Pug and Tomas, and perhaps that growth from boyhood through young adult into adulthood is what I lament - the rite of passage of most normal young boys, though Pug and Tomas could never be mistaken for normal. While everything seemed wondrous and adventurous in the first half of the novel (also known as Magician: Apprentice), ...more
Greg Strandberg
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Good fantasy. This is the second time I've read this book, the first being about 20 years ago. Certainly, it's better the second time around.

I was glad to see a return to the Kingdom from the far off lands the novel begins with. Mostly, you see good character development, and even short passages having getting a little misty at the way the characters interact and care for one another. It's good writing.

I look forward to reading the 3rd volume soon.
Ana
Passados 4 anos desde o cerco a Crydree, a guerra contra os Tsurani continua. Os amigos seguem caminhos diferentes.

Pug encontra-se escravo do povo de Kelewan. É através deste e de Laurie, o seu novo amigo que o autor nos dá a conhecer o outro lado da guerra. Entrando em terras do inimigo, ficamos a conhecer os seus costumes, a sua cultura, os jogos políticos, e a sua hierarquia. Apesar de Pug começar por ser um escravo no mundo dos Tsurani, ao longo do tempo vai aprendendo a conhecer e a control
Lauren
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physically-own
Magician: Master, the second half of Raymond E. Feist's 'Magician,' (after it was subdivided for audiences with shorter attention spans) picks up some years after the first half ends. Pug has been captured and enslaved on Kelewan, serving the Tsurani. One day, a passing Great One (magic user) notices Pug's latent power and immediately takes him for magical training. Unlike Pug's home world of Midkemia, on Kelewan, magic users are revered, as they form the basic protective and governing body of t ...more
Silvana
A very thin, emaciated (and possibly stunted) 3-star rating. (Disclaimer: I might even lower the rating to two stars if I find myself still fuming about this book the week after I read it, like I did with Joe Abercrombie's Half A War)

This book is rather annoying, to be frank. While I appreciated the fast pacing story in Magician: Apprentice, that book has less plots and subplots compared to this one. I could not even find myself liking Pug and Tomas because their character grew exponentially (if
Dave Philipson
Jul 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Thankfully a Total Absence of Campfire Songs

A well realised, clever political story. That said it really was a take in two acts for me.

The first act made me feel that the author was reading LOTR while he was writing. 'The pass is blocked we will have to go through the mines'!! Hmmm where have I heard that before? If I hadn't been a fan of the genre I would have stopped reading here.

But I'm glad I didn't because the second act is brilliantly original. I really liked the mixture of cultures, and t
Jim
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
As much as I loved 'Apprentice' this was a worthy follow up & ended satisfactorily. Oh, there's plenty more story to be told, but I appreciated that I could put the series down for a while. I didn't feel that way when I finished 'Apprentice'.

I think I'm going to pick up the Empire trilogy when I start to re-read the series again, although I'm waiting to see what Mr. Feist has to say about the matter. (He's doing a Q&A in the Fantasy Book Club Series group where we're reading this now.)
Ignacio Senao f
Su predecesora me dejo un estupendo sabor de boca de 5 estrelllitas, ella ha hecho que la 2 parte sea sacrificada por la imposibilidad de mantener la novedad.

Aquí mezcla fantasía épica con espada y planeta, lo que mola mucho. Continúa siendo coral, desarrollando a los personajes en su moral y personalidad, pero poco como elemento de acción. La mejor parte son las del mago, que fue rastrado por los extraterrestres y llevado a su mundo, el que me recordó bastante al de Edgar Rice, su historia es a
Dan
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Very good.
Nicole Gozdek
Inhalt:
Pug, der ehemalige Zauberlehrling, fristet nach seiner Gefangennahme durch die Tsuranis ein elendes Dasein als Sklave auf deren Heimatwelt Kelewan. Als eines Tages jedoch sein magisches Talent von einem Erhabenen, einem Zauberer Kelewans, erkannt wird, wendet sich sein Schicksal.
Unterdessen geht der sogenannte Spaltkrieg weiter. Prinz Arutha, sein Bruder Lyam, ihr Vater Borric, der Herzog von Crydee, und ihre Verbündeten, die Elben und die Zwerge, kämpfen weiter gegen die Invasoren. Auch
Matt
Jun 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Every chapter begins with a simple sentence.

Not only does the chapter begin with a simple sentence, but that sentence gets its own paragraph. When I was in sixth grade, and a budding student of literature and writing, that struck me as the coolest thing ever. I was a new minted Dungeon Master, and I was just beginning to appreciate the value of a good hook – starting a story in a way that right from the start the audience was engrossed in the story – and that simple sentence hanging nakedly alon
Debbie
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure if I'd like Magician: Master as I had mixed feelings towards Magician: Apprentice. I enjoyed this one much more than I thought. The changes in Pug where huge. His character grew in confidence and depth. My favorite part was his confrontation with the Tsurani Warlord. The arc with Tomas and the elves disappointed me. It was a lot of build up with minimal payoff.

Overall a solid 4 stars. I see more Raymond E. Feist books in my future.
Play Book Tag: Magician: Master 4 stars 1 9 Jan 25, 2019 08:24AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Magician: Master [Oct 1, 2018] 53 33 Nov 03, 2018 04:40PM
Goodreads Librari...: Change description 2 13 Nov 27, 2015 07:23AM
Goodreads Librari...: Change description 2 137 Oct 27, 2015 04:54PM
Wellington Reads: Fantasy Fiction 2 26 May 20, 2013 04:17PM
Fantasy Book Club...: Magician Master: Planning to read, first impressions **NO SPOILERS** 21 28 Mar 28, 2011 03:46PM
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Vingança do Assassino (A Saga do Assassino #4)
  • The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3)
  • Into the Labyrinth (The Death Gate Cycle, #6)
  • King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2)
  • Wizardborn (Runelords, #3)
  • Master and Fool (Book of Words, #3)
  • The Heir Apparent (Guardians of the Flame, #4)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more

The Riftwar Saga (4 books)
  • Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1)
  • Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3)
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
“But for the most part, love is a recognition, an opportunity to say, 'There is something about you I cherish.” 36 likes
“- Няма друго място като морето, господа. Тези, които цял живот изкарват на сушата, никога няма да го разберат. Морето е първично, понякога е жестоко, друг път - нежно, и никога - предсказуемо.” 11 likes