Start by marking “Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga, #2)

Magician: Master

(The Riftwar Saga #2)

He held the fate of two worlds in his hands...

Once he was an orphan called Pug, apprenticed to a sorcerer of the enchanted land of Midkemia.. Then he was captured and enslaved by the Tsurani, a strange, warlike race of invaders from another world.

There, in the exotic Empire of Kelewan, he earned a new name--Milamber. He learned to tame the unnimagined powers that lay with
Mass Market Paperback, Author's Preferred Edition, 499 pages
Published January 1993 by Spectra Books (first published November 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Magician, please sign up.
John The publisher has not authorized an ebook. You can submit a request via amazon

Start your review of Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga, #2)
Petrik
May 30, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5/5 stars

I feel like nostalgia goggles are needed to enjoy this to the fullest now. I gave this an honest attempt, but I won’t be continuing with the Riftwar Saga.

Magician: Master is the second half of Magician—the first book in the Riftwar Saga series—by Raymond E. Feist. Despite the issues I had with Magician: Apprentice, I thought that book did have plenty of redeeming factors that I thought could be explored further in the second half. And to be fair, before I get to the things that didn’t
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Reread. Deleted my review because who cares.

*I enjoy this world of Pug and the gang!
Choko
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
*** 4 ***

A buddy read with the Fantasy Fans @ BBB!

This was a very strong second installment to this series. Pug and his friends have lived 8 years after the faithful moment the two best friends, Tomas and Pug, were separated and faced their very different paths. Tomas was gifted with a magical armor, while Pug was taken to the world of the invaders and after being a slave for a while, was sat on a journey to discover his limits in the magical arts.

The war has been exposing the weaknesses of the
Bradley
I'm SO happy to realize that my original love of these books in my youth remains as bright in my middle age. :)

As a matter of fact, now that I've had a lot of time to read and process a very large assortment of fantasy novels both epic and derivative and sometimes both, I can confidently say that this may very well be as good as the WoT series that I have been known to put so much store by.

Impressive, no?

So Much Happens. Pug gets kidnapped in the previous book and sent to an alternate world acr
NAT.orious reads ☾
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 STARs ★★★★✩
This book is for you if… you ever wondered what the mash up of classic science fiction and high fantasy would birth. Welcome to the Riftwar. Pro: extremely engaging, Con: you might end up enslaved to a people from another dimension.

Overall.

In true Raymond fashion, we continue the Riftwar Saga with as much extravaganza as we started it. I'm very fascinated by how well he managed to mingle together the different storylines without creating a disrupted plot that yanks the re
Wanda Pedersen
Gary
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Magician: Master sees Pug go from being a slave in the Tsuranuanni Empire, to becoming a great magician of the Assembly, a Great One, by the name of Milamber.
It is here that we learn of the intricate fascinating world of Kelewan (the Tsurani home world) where giant, intelligent insectoid creatures called Cho-Ja reside, as well as six legged bovine creatures called Needra.
Bees are not yellow and black striped but bright red, eagles have yellow bands on their wings, and hawks are purple.
Unlike Pug
Matthew
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Still great the second time! I only read the first four the first time around. I plan to read them all now.

Warning to readers! Book 1 and 2 really are "book one" of a trilogy. Frequently they are combined into one volume (Magician) If you only read the first book, this is not a case where you get the complete first part of the story. You really need to read a least the first two before you will be able to tell if this story is for you or not!
Michael Y. Patuwo
Jun 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
After "Magician: Apprentice", I was hoping that the second half of the Feist's Magician series would deliver closure to the multitude of plot threads that have been constructed in the first half, but as it turned out, I was disappointed. There are many problems with this book that impede my enjoyment, because every other page of the book seems to make me look up and whisper to myself, "What? Why? How is this reasonable? Why do I have to see this scene? Why is the guy I'm supposed to be rooting f ...more
Maria Dimitrova
Buddy read with the Fantasy lovers of BB&B.

The previous book left us unsure of the ultimate fates of our heroes. So, naturally, I was excited to read this one and find out what will happen with them. Magician: Master did not disappoint!

Most of Pug's POV were on Kelewan - the world from which the Tsuranni invaders hail. It was a fascinating world, filled with strange creatures and bizarre fauna, complex political and social order and powerful magicians. As usual I had major problems with the Tsu
Lena
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A3062091-469B-497A-9853-73F565666E55.jpg

Oh hell yes.

Violence, betrayal, sex, intrigue, magic, mystery, romance, humor, and bone deep joy.

Every time I thought the story would be bogged down by a character’s trial, or politics, something would be solved and another plot point would carry on.

This book flowed.

I can’t say enough good things about this story. If you’ve never read these works of Feel-Good-Fantasy you should.
Michael
Good news - 15ish years later I still enjoyed this story.
Sud666
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In the land of Midkemia there is a rift that leads to another world. This world is the Empire of Tsuranuanni, losely modeled after Japan during the Shogunate Era, and they are invading. This is the background for this story. A young boy named Pug is taken by the Tsurani and turned into a slave. But his fortunes change and he is taken in by a noble Tsurani family. There he is found to possess great magical ability. He is taken by the Mages of Tsurani to be trained as a Great One.

There are many ot
Laura (Kyahgirl)
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
4/5; 4 stars; A-

I really enjoyed the characters and the adventure in this book. It seemed quite a bit tighter than the first book in the series. I was going to read book three now but think I will switch to Daughter of the Empire to get the viewpoint from Kelewan during the Riftwar.
Amber
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It has been four years since Pug was enslaved and sent to the world of the Tsurani. When he is chosen by their magicians known as the great ones, Pug adopts a new name and will become a force to be reckoned with. Can he go home and stop their Riftwar before it's too late? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a great installment of the Riftwar saga. It was action packed as well as full of magic and more. If you love these fantasy stories, be sure to check this book out at your local library
George Jankovic
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one. It's better than the first book. My favorite scene is when Milamber gets mad. Reminded me of Rand in the Wheel of Time. ...more
YouKneeK
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Magician: Master is the second book in Raymond E. Feist’s Riftwar Cycle, the first subseries in the longer Riftwar Saga. Although there are two more books in this subseries, this one finishes the main storylines that were begun with Magician: Apprentice and comes to a satisfying conclusion.

I enjoyed this nearly as much as Magician: Apprentice, but it did have a bit less of an ensemble feel with some characters going off in different directions for most of the book, so it lacked some of the camar
AndrewP
The second half of the Magician book and this one takes a very different turn. While the first half of the story was full of D&D and fantasy tropes this part is much more original. Writing and complexity continue the same way the last few chapters of 'Magician"Apprentice' ended and it's the better half of the overall work. We pick up Pug's story and see the war from the land of Kelewan on the other side of the rift and things are not as simple as they at first may have seemed.

Lot's to like here.
Megan Baxter
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
My complaint about the first volume of this saga was that everything felt very mundane. Feist may have been one of the first to do these things, but there wasn't much more to the book. It was fine, but not exhilarating, and I've seen the "young man joins a band of heroic travellers; discovers destiny" paint by numbers a million times. I was taken to task by some people for not recognizing Feist as a pioneer in the field. My position remains: that's fine. Maybe if this was the first of the genre ...more
Adam
May 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, fantasy
This book made my top 10 fantasy reads from 2021, check out the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9pwG...

Another enjoyable read in The Riftwar Saga; I liked this book more in some ways and less in others than the first entry.

I thought the first book was written better. There were a few examples early on where it really seemed like Feist was telling instead of showing. From page 14: “Their eyes locked briefly before Pug dropped his as a slave is expected to do. For an instant communica
Jeremy Brown
Jul 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mycollection
Magician: Master is a deeply engrossing story which is fairly straight forward from beginning to end. Based on the title of the novel and the actions in Magician: Apprentice it is obvious that the book will revolve around Pug’s capture and his training to become a Master Magician. This book involves more political intrigue and less action than Magician: Apprentice but the author manages to make the political intrigue interesting enough to make me not lose interest in reading the novel.

The one ma
Aaron
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. It was a good second book in the rift war series. I found myself wanting to order the next book as I got closer to finishing this one. I really enjoyed the overall feel of the book. The world building and characters are great! The only way I can describe this book is an old feeling wholesome story. It really made me feel like I was transported back in time to when this story took place. The ending was a little strange. It didn’t leave off with as much of a cliffhanger as I would have ...more
Matt
Jun 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Every chapter begins with a simple sentence.

Not only does the chapter begin with a simple sentence, but that sentence gets its own paragraph. When I was in sixth grade, and a budding student of literature and writing, that struck me as the coolest thing ever. I was a new minted Dungeon Master, and I was just beginning to appreciate the value of a good hook – starting a story in a way that right from the start the audience was engrossed in the story – and that simple sentence hanging nakedly alon
Josh
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
Mrs. S
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the Riftwar Saga. This was a new author for me but I have always been a fan of fantasy novels. The first book, Magician: Apprentice was okay, but this book was great. For just the one scene where Pug, now called Milamber, first uses his full magical powers, the book is worth recommending. Fortunately, the entire book is highly entertaining and VERY readable.

Synopsis: A rift has been created between two worlds. In this book, Pug is a slave on Kelewan, the capital city o
Silvana
A very thin, emaciated (and possibly stunted) 3-star rating. (Disclaimer: I might even lower the rating to two stars if I find myself still fuming about this book the week after I read it, like I did with Joe Abercrombie's Half A War)

This book is rather annoying, to be frank. While I appreciated the fast pacing story in Magician: Apprentice, that book has less plots and subplots compared to this one. I could not even find myself liking Pug and Tomas because their character grew exponentially (if
Malum
Apr 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Wow, I really hated this. All of the charm of the first novel is completely missing here. Where the first volume had a young magician fighting trolls, a meeting with a goodly dragon, and a flight from a deadly wraith, this book was nothing but people standing around and talking for 500 pages.

There are no character arcs, and people just suddenly change without warning. The two main characters get completely different personalities (and emo "I'm so dark and powerful now" ones to boot) and become
Paul
Better than the first part and more complex world building than I was expecting. I’ll continue the series.
თემო
May 19, 2022 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
After more or less interesting rewrite of LOTR, I expected second book to be a breakthrough. Alas, it turned out to be a disappointment. Terrible editing ruined everything.
Baal Of
Jun 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apple, stew
Substantially better than the first book, in that the stakes start becoming higher, and the Feist starts managing to break away from the more obvious Tolkeinisms.

Also, this is super wholesome old-school fantasy. There is no cussing, no grimdark, and the violence while present is not described at length. This is neither a plus nor a minus as I think there is room for a broad range of fantasy styles.
Play Book Tag: Magician: Master 4 stars 1 9 Jan 25, 2019 08:24AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Magician: Master [Oct 1, 2018] 53 34 Nov 03, 2018 04:40PM
Goodreads Librari...: Change description 2 13 Nov 27, 2015 07:23AM
Goodreads Librari...: Change description 2 137 Oct 27, 2015 04:54PM
Wellington Reads: Fantasy Fiction 2 26 May 20, 2013 04:17PM
Fantasy Book Club...: Magician Master: Planning to read, first impressions **NO SPOILERS** 21 29 Mar 28, 2011 03:46PM

• Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master (Premiere)
  • Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #3)
  • Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)
  • Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad, #2)
  • Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4)
  • Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #5)
  • Silverthorn by Raymond E. Feist Summary & Study Guide
  • King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2)
  • Breaking: After the Thaw (The Thaw Chronicles, #2)
  • The Elfstones of Shannara  (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #2)
  • Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #2)
  • Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2)
  • The Master of Whitestorm
  • Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy, #3)
  • Elysium
  • The Dragonbone Chair (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #1)
  • Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
  • Guardians of the West (The Malloreon, #1)
See top shelves…
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more

The Riftwar Saga (4 books)
  • Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1)
  • Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3)
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)