Start by marking “Out of the Deep I Cry (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #3)” as Want to Read:
Out of the Deep I Cry (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #3)

Out of the Deep I Cry

(The Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries #3)

On April 1, 1930, Jonathan Ketchem's wife Jane walked from her house to the police department to ask for help in finding her husband. The men, worn out from a night of chasing bootleggers, did what they could. But no one ever saw Jonathan Ketchem again...

Now decades later, someone else is missing in Miller's Kill, NY. This time it's the physician of the clinic
Published May 3rd 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published April 26th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Deep I Cry, please sign up.
Patty Quite to the contrary. It is trying to rectify the misapprehensions about the use of vaccines.
Ellen Yes, it is excellent! I loved all the twists and turns! It keeps you in suspense, and I like the idea of the female reverend who is also a super…moreYes, it is excellent! I loved all the twists and turns! It keeps you in suspense, and I like the idea of the female reverend who is also a super sleuth!(less)

Start your review of Out of the Deep I Cry (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #3)
Hallie
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5, maybe?

The number of murders, life-threatening situations into which Clare &/or Russ fall, and general wrong-doing continues, in all honesty, fairly ridiculous, but I loved the way the history of Miller's Kill and its families was incorporated into this book. None of the books in the series I've read so far is exactly cozy, despite the small-town setting, but this is even bleaker than the other two. I think the mystery was better too, or at least it seemed as if once I'd got the reveal,
Katie
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Five stars for the ending, which took my heart out and RIPPED IT TO PIECES.

(view spoiler) ...more
Abby
Aug 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
She's done it again! Another stellar mystery from Julia Spencer-Fleming. This one I *almost* had figured out, but she got me in the end.

What I'm struggling to understand is how the relationship of the main characters in JSF's books are doing all the things that in a more "traditional" romance would be my DO NOT CROSS line and would usually lead me to the "DO NOT BUY" category. Having characters engage in an affair (of the heart or physically) which cases one or both characters to cheat on their
Wanda
I am really enjoying this series despite the fact that I’m having to use interlibrary loan to get a hold of this one and the next volume. Once I’ve read that one, they’re all available here locally and I can binge read them if I decide to.

I love the use of history here--linking the present to the past in meaningful ways. As a genealogist, I’ve found that a family’s past can sometimes explain current problems. At least in my own family, it has. We can’t easily escape the ties of past
Cara
Aug 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
This one just finished this series off for me. Clare continues to get overly involved in everything that doesn't have to do with her actual job (frankly, it's a wonder that she has time to actually conduct services and attend to her other clerical duties). Russ continues to let her push her way into stuff that doesn't concern her. The mystery was okay--the story told in flashbacks was moving and the best part.
But the Clare/Russ developments finished this for me. I don't consider myself a r
Sheila
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was the best in the series so far. I have been wondering when we would finally get to meet Linda and of course was hoping that I would instantly hate her, but I didn't. Lots of tension between Clair and Russ. They are definitely playing with fire in more than one sense.

I loved the historical aspect of this story. In todays world we take for granted our access to health care and medicines so it was really interesting to see how people had to deal with disease back in th
Karen Syed
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YOU!
Shelves: favorites
[Book: OUT OF THE DEEP I CRY], and cry I did. I started this book over a month ago after getting an autographed copy (and a hug) from Julia at the South Carolina Book Festival. I was ill at the time and became even more ill in the weeks that followed. I kept plugging along, wanting to read more and more, but alas, my cardiac specialist said "Into the hospital with you!" And in I went. Well, you'd think lying in a hospital bed would give me plenty of time to read. Too bad I could not stay awake. ...more
Sharon
Jan 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is the third of Julia Spencer-Fleming's novels that I have read, and she is bidding to become a new favorite author. In this particular outing, protagonists Rev. Claire Fergusson and police chief Russ Van Alstyne become entangled in a parallel investigation -- two missing men, one who disappeared in the 1930s and one who disappears in the here-and-now. All of the action starts because the church roof is leaking, and one of the vestry members is willing to surrender her family trust to have ...more
Kathy
The Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne series continues to thrill me with its intriguing plots and fascinating characters. Julia Spencer-Fleming never fails to ensconce the reader into the world of Millers Kill through her masterful description and perfectly timed action sequences. This addition to the series must reach back to the 1920s and prohibition to unravel the mystery of a missing doctor. It seems that there was another missing man, gone missing in 1930, who plays a prominent role in the s ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The time hopping in this one took some getting used to. I found it off-putting at first, mainly because the main character involved was kind of depressing—with good cause as she stood at the center of the story and it's a mystery and this is Julia Spencer-Fleming we're talking about here, so it's gonna be emotionally charged. And bleak. To start.

Indeed, gaining sympathy for Jane Ketchum (despite her own evaluation of herself) highlights the author's true genius for getting into her c
Janet C-B
This is a murder mystery told in 2 time frames, current and past (1920's-1930's). The novel is #3 in a series featuring Claire, a local reverend, and Russ, the local police chief in a small town in the Adirondacks. I appreciated that the chapters were simply titled, "Then," and "Now." While I was drawn in to the current storyline, I found the past a bit more tedious. It is a good murder mystery that seemed to end abruptly on the developing relationship between Clare and Russ. I enjoyed the book, ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dr. Allen Rouse, the irascible director of the free clinic in the the town of Millers Kill in Upstate New York vanishes one night. The disappearance echoes another one that occurred in 1930 when another man, Jonathan Ketcham, drove out into the night, never to be seen again.

Reverend Clare Fergusson, Army helicopter pilot turned Episcopal priest, and Sheriff Russ Van Alstyne join forces again to determine what happened to both men and to wonder whether the two disappearances might be linked desp
Mimi Smith
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Not really a review here. Just had to say Linda FINALLY appeared here. I was starting to suspect she was a ghost. Or a goblin.

Love the mysteries, Russ, Clare (even though she has really reckless, dare I say stupid, moments). Am really curious about the personal dilemmas.
Mike Finn
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Out Of The Deep I Cry" links Clare, our modern-day ex-army helicopter pilot turned Episcopalian Priest and Russ our local boy returned to be sheriff after a little too long in the army, more closely to the past of the small town of Miller's Kill, New York.

As with the previous books, "Out Of The Deep I Cry" manages to link the investigation of a crime to a topical issue, in this case, the inoculation of children. It then goes a step further and links the fates of the current Miller's Kill
Joanne Duhl
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am excited to have discovered a new (to me) great author with a cache of books I have yet to read. I loved the characters, the setting (upstate NY not far from where I live), and the issues around which the plot turned - fears about vaccinations - both current and historical - bootlegging, the roles of men and women, both current and historical. Spencer-Fleming is a very good writer and she has created interesting characters in her detective duo - the smart, tough, conflicted feminist minister ...more
Charlene
I read this book after I completed Books 1, 4, and 2. So now I'm caught up on the story line with the female Episcopal priest and the married male police officer, both of whom are in danger of -- but determined not to -- breaking their respective vows.

The story, with its background (and flashbacks to 1920s-30 prohibition and inoculation for diphtheria) having to do with a free clinic, a conflict about inoculations for children, near-violent outcomes, is compelling reading. Oh, and th
Nicole
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finished this in less than 24 hours! Loved everything about this book (even the unrealistic parts)! I was captivated from the start. It is in the middle of a series, but did not impact the enjoyment. Cannot wait to read more.
Ruth Chatlien
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm rereading this much beloved series because I've heard rumors that book 9 may be finally on its way, and I want to have read the others recently when that happens.
Kathleen
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of the Deep I Cry
Two men disappeared - one in the present day, and one in 1930. As the Rev. Clare Fergusson and Chief of Police Russ Alstyne search for the man who disappeared after meeting a young woman in a cemetery, they unearth connections to the disappearance that occurred eighty years ago.
The Ketchem Free Clinic, named after the man who disappeared in 1930, is about to lose some of its funding, and Clare feels responsible. The man's daughter, Lacey Marshall, has decided to break
Nancy
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nicely done. Interesting theme to the plot. I love reading a series from the beginning, in order, and seeing how the characters and their lives evolve. Waiting anxiously to read the next one.

Now decades later, someone els
Ann
Apr 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Jen
May 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brain_candy, audio
I love these so much. I think I'm changing my non-fiction book club to a series fiction book club because I DESPERATELY need to talk to someone about the end of the book.

Let me quote a few passages and see if I can't get you hooked as well. This series is about a former army pilot turned female minister who's falling in love with a small town police chief. A MARRIED police chief. They solve a bunch of crimes together.

"You can wait in the office, back here. I'll be with yo
Melissa McShane
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, mystery
This seemed more substantial than the first two books, which surprised me considering that it hops around in time quite a bit. I had trouble getting used to the time shifts, but by the end I was sold on the effect and felt so satisfied with the way the central mystery wrapped up. Two mysteries entwined kept me interested, and of course I have tremendous feelings about Clare and Russ's relationship (view spoiler) ...more
Linda
OUT OF THE DEEP I CRY has the past taking center stage; something that happened on April 1, 1930. And that something wants closure in present-day Millers Kill.

Welcome police chief Russ Van Alstyne and Rev. Clare. Their town seems to have its fair share of deaths. This time Prohibition surfaces and causes doubts between the two about the reason this day was so important, both then and now.

It also takes the tiny spark of attraction that began in the previous book and has it magnify. I normally d
Carol
Nov 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, series
The Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne series,is yet another I promised myself I'd read when I retired. I had read the first two,liked the light mysteries and adored the angst exhibited by the two main characters. She, a former army chopper pilot, now an Episcopal priest and he, a married small-town chief of police steam up the pages in the cold winters in Millers Kill, NY.

In parallel stories,Van Alstyne and Fergusson seek missing persons, Jonathan Ketchem, a cold case from the 30's, t
Beth
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The third in a series of mysteries set in a small upstate NY town featuring a police chief and a priest as the heros solving the mysteries. In this one there is no current murder but there is a current mystery that hooks into a very old mystery. The story goes back and forth between the current day and the far past. By solving the past mystery they solve the current day mystery.

As usual the romantic tension between the two heros makes for a more realistic story, as time goes on you s
Jan
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very involved plot switching between 1924, 1930 l970 and the present which the author pulls off without breaking a sweat. The character development is flawless and the issue of vaccination -- to do or not to do, handled with conviction. The history behind the dams and the farmers who were bought out was very interesting and, again, loved the chemistry between the reverend and the chief of police.
Judy
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again the Rev. Claire gets involved in a crime that throws she and police chief Russ together. There are several mysteries that are connected, one dating back in time. While Claire is initially bringing ministry to those in her church, she also can't resist trying to solve the mysteries. Both Claire and Russ are faced with the attraction they have for one another, but Claire is adamant that they not even see each other.
Pat
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Julia Spencer-Fleming has arrived...moving between the past and the present she weaves a spell-binding tale of great pathos which appears to have little relevance to the present. And just when you think you have understood the direction of the plot and the final reveal, she delivers one last secret...

Tracy
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was great to listen to. Both the past and present stories were compelling and had a few unexpected twists. Looking forward to the next in the series.
The Narthex: Discussion 1 5 Apr 11, 2012 12:13AM

• A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • All Shall Be Well (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #2)
  • Bomber's Moon (Joe Gunther #30)
  • Southern Discomfort (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #2)
  • Mourn Not Your Dead (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #4)
  • Kingdom of the Blind (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #14)
  • The American Agent (Maisie Dobbs, #15)
  • A Finer End (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #7)
  • A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #1)
  • Bootlegger's Daughter (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #1)
  • Breakup (Kate Shugak, #7)
  • Necessary as Blood (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #13)
  • Ghost Image (Sophie Medina, #2)
  • Murder of Ravens (Gabriel Hawke #1)
  • And Justice There Is None (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #8)
  • Home Fires (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #6)
  • Leave the Grave Green (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #3)
  • The Clincher: A Horseshoer Mystery (Horseshoer Mystery Series, #1)
Wednesday, September 7

Work-In-Progress Wednesday at my Reader Space. We're up to the fifth part of the second chapter of my eighth book, which has some numerological meaning, I'm sure. http://bit.ly/p2QwJa

The Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries (9 books)
  • In the Bleak Midwinter (The Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries #1)
  • A Fountain Filled with Blood (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #2)
  • To Darkness and to Death (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #4)
  • All Mortal Flesh (The Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries #5)
  • I Shall Not Want (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #6)
  • One Was a Soldier (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #7)
  • Through the Evil Days (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #8)
  • Hid from Our Eyes (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #9)
“So I can be the girl from Titanic who stays high and dry while you, the guy, vanish beneath the icy waves? I don’t think so.” 2 likes
“I'm not. Certain. About lots of things. I just know where I belong.” 0 likes