Start by marking “Storytimes for Everyone!: Developing Young Children's Language and Literacy” as Want to Read:
Storytimes for Everyone!: Developing Young Children's Language and Literacy

Storytimes for Everyone!: Developing Young Children's Language and Literacy

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Recognizing that informed, caring adults are critical to supporting early literacy development, this important resource builds on the concepts introduced in the second edition of the ALSC/PLA Every Child Ready to Read(R) initiative. Offering practical suggestions for incorporating early literacy information and strategies into the storytime setting, early literacy authorit ...more
Published July 22nd 2013 by ALA Editions (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Storytimes for Everyone!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storytimes for Everyone!

Abby
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an invaluable guide for planning and leading meaningful storytimes. From the expert, you'll learn the five early literacy competencies and how to incorporate them into your story time with tons of examples of asides for adults in storytime and more. Ghoting breaks it down for the earliest of beginners and provides template after template for your success. I can't speak highly enough of this text.
Ashley
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a newbie to early childhood literacy and children's librarianship, this was a fantastic introduction to the principles of Every Child Ready to Read's second version, their importance, and how to incorporate them into storytime. This is a real boots-on-the-ground guide to understanding early literacy components from phonological awareness, print conventions and print awareness, letter knowledge, vocabulary, and background knowledge and how children acquire these skills. One aspect I loved was ...more
Kathy MacMillan
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ghoting and Diaz incorporate the latest research in this resource for what they call “early literacy enhanced storytimes” – storytime programs that introduce early literacy concepts in dynamic, practical ways that engage children and parents alike, providing families with tools they can use to develop children’s language every day. The authors focus on the five components of early literacy:

Phonological awareness
Print conventions and awareness
Letter knowledge
Vocabulary
Background knowledge
The book
Abby
May 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Really helpful reference for reinforcing the five components of early literacy (phonological awareness, print conventions/awareness, letter knowledge, vocabulary and background knowledge [including ECRR1 narrative skills and print motivation]) and the five practices of ECRR2 (talk, sing, play, read, write) and integrating them more purposefully and effectively into storytimes for parents/caregivers.
Again, much of this feels reassuringly familiar, my favorite standout passage reads,
"Letter knowl
J.D. Holman
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book on library science I've read since my days as a graduate student in the field. I feel like I have a grasp on some theories for early literacy enhanced story times. Be sure to follow the links provided in the book! http://www.earlylit.net is unbelievably valuable. In addition to the handouts there, I'll likely copy down many of the early literacy asides in Chapter 12 to use in my upcoming baby programs or even my generic story time.

I highly recommend this for not only childr
Jessica
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is fantastic for new ideas or enhancing your storytime. I am definitely going to try their science storytimes---and I like the pre-reading surveys they would give parents, charts, calendars, so parents have more involvement in understanding how beneficial early literacy is for their children.
Paula
Storytimes for Everyone! builds on the concepts introduced in the second edition of the Every Child Ready to Read® initiative to offer practical suggestions for incorporating early literacy information and strategies into the storytime setting.
Lupine
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great resource for incorporating literacy concepts into storytime. Wish it had existed when I first became a children's librarian.
NALANI DEVENDRA
Meg
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: textbooks
Has premade storytimes, will be helpful in a library setting.
Marta-Kate Jackson
Grace
Dec 13, 2013
Christina Karvounis
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource for story time research and activities. Highly recommend.
Kate