Start by marking “Deepening the Soul for Justice” as Want to Read:
Deepening the Soul for Justice

Deepening the Soul for Justice

The challenges of global injustice can be overwhelming. The pain is real; the violence dark. Many well-intentioned Christians get burned out. What can you do to stay in the game? Bethany Hoang, director of International Justice Mission's IJM Institute, has seen firsthand how spiritual formation can fuel our response to God's call to justice--from the inside out. Hoang shar ...more
Published October 29th 2012 by IVP Books (first published October 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Deepening the Soul for Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deepening the Soul for Justice

Start your review of Deepening the Soul for Justice
janice l. dimond
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a small book that packs a punch. I read one chapter at a time, so I could absorb all the wisdom within the pages. This is one that I will read again and again!
Angela
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Heard her speak at the IJM global prayer gathering 2013 - Lament, Station, Rejoice. Compelled by the biblical command to seek justice, rescue the oppressed, defend the orphan and plead for the widow - Isiah 1:17.
"God has called his people to the work of justice. At the end of the day, if our attempts to seek justice do not first begin with the work of prayer we will be worn and weary - not deeply satisfying, joy filled tiredness, but bone and soul crushing weariness.

This book
Adam Parker
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
This book, though a short one, was bursting with practical wisdom. The author has spent years working with the International Justice Mission, so she has a true understanding of the immense amount of injustice around the world. Because of that understanding, she was able to bring clarity to what it takes for a follower of Christ, for anyone really, to be sustained in their pursuit of fighting injustice. As one who is emotionally and passionately drawn into the plight of the suffering, Hoang offer ...more
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and the authors practical focus on being intentional in our prayer and our hope in the King of Kings. It is too easy to despair when we look at the numbers and the reality of mans inhumanity to man - what can I do? But God takes our tiny voices and our small actions and expands their impact in incredible and tangible ways. Be intentional.
Brooke Fradd
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
A book like this is hard for me to rate/review. At under 50 pages, I feel calling it a "book" to be a stretch, but its certainly a deep/heavy topic.
I didn't really have much take away, but I hesitate to place that on the author. Perhaps had I read it more prayerfully, I would have had a different feeling on it.
Becky
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This short book surprised me. It challenges us to understand that fighting injustice requires a life of worship, study, prayer, and sabbath. It tells us that deepening our souls for justice requires deepening our souls for God. I expected a typical list of ways to engage injustice, and I was convicted to discover something very different.
Amanda Espinoza
This a great place to start if you are a Christian who wants to know how to handle injustice, slavery, and other soul crushing atrocities. The books shows you how you can champion a cause long term. The answer is surprisingly simple and necessary.
Lindsay
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book explains our faith - our hope - in a way that holds high the majesty of our God of justice. We do not act in faith to be 'good', but instead to worship and follow the mighty Lord who brings hope to the hopeless.
Jenn Cherry
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!!
Laverne Byas-smith
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Deepening your soul for anything?... great wisdom and insight. Hoang calls us back to the disciplines and for the right purpose.
Rose Anderson
Mar 07, 2013
Debbie
Jun 09, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• 恆毅力:人生成功的究極能力 (Traditional Chinese Edition)
  • Sunday Comes Every Week: Daily Habits for the Busy Preacher
  • Getting Involved with God: Rediscovering the Old Testament
  • Seven Practices for the Church on Mission
  • White Awake: An Honest Look at What It Means to Be White
  • One-to-One Bible Reading: A Simple Guide for Every Christian
Bethany Hoang served as IJM’s Director of the Institute for Biblical Justice. Bethany leads the ongoing development and application of IJM’s biblical justice theology. She engages Christian leaders around the world and regularly speaks and writes on IJM’s behalf.

Bethany joined IJM in 2004, and in her previous role she led the vision and execution of IJM’s Global Prayer Gathering. Her f
“And so, seeking justice -- bringing right order and exerting life-giving power to protect the vulnerable - does not begin at the threshold of abuse. Seeking justice begins with seek God: our God who longs to bring justice; our God who longs to use us, every one of his children, to bring justice; our God who offers us the yoke of Jesus in exchange for things that otherwise leave us defeated.” 1 likes