Start by marking “She'll Take It” as Want to Read:
She'll Take It

She'll Take It

Melanie's biggest rule, in life, love, and shoplifting, is this: don't get caught. But sometimes, even the best kleptomaniac has an off day. Now, with every part of her life veering zanily out of control, Melanie's met a guy whose heart is hers for the taking, if she's brave enough to pay the price.
Published March 1st 2006 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about She'll Take It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She'll Take It

Start your review of She'll Take It
Norabee
Sep 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: chick lit fans
This Novel is the “Steal” of the Century!

Melanie is a young, aspiring actress that deals with her stress by shoplifting. She knows that it’s wrong, but she just can’t resist the “warm-all-over-feeling” that she gets when she takes just “a little something” home after a bad day. Although this is a serious problem, I enjoyed the way that Mary Carter tackles this sensitive topic by mixing humor with the crimes. She doesn’t make it okay to be a thief and we get to see how Melanie is negatively affec
Ika Wongsonegoro
Oct 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-like-o
it is hillarious. i'd never read this kind of book before, but when i bumped into it one day in a book store and read the synopsis at the back, well, well, well, i got interested. after reading it, it was real...i love it. it is berry entertaining. :) and...love the romantic part. it's usual, but romantic.
Melanie Girshick
Sep 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
A friend of mine is the author. It is a very good book. It is a funny and easy read. Takes place in New York and is basically about a woman who is addicted to 'shopping'.

Christy
Mar 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
A chick lit about a klepto! Besides the fact that the main character is a thief, I think this is a pretty typical chick lit. I love the cover.
Nona
Mar 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
definitely hillarious....
Lina Siyam
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was boring at the beginning .. but after that I couldn't put it down 'till I finished it .!*
Iris
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wawa
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was exciting although the ending was slightly abrupt. One could empathise with the main character as far as doing something self-destructive and not knowing how to really help oneself.
Virna
definitely one of those book that doesn't take lot of concentration, fun and fast read. But since I have the Indonesian version ones, I'm reading it slowly in between the other books that I read at the time.

The reason I picked up the book because I thought it would be one of those chick-lit like the Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella. Turn out this book is more than that. There's a lot of back story that made the main character - Melanie - the way she does. And weirdly I could relate to her -
Colleen
Jan 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chic-lit
Hello shopaholic. This book is exactly like the confessions of a shopaholic except the character steals instead of buys. I'm not sure which book came out first but I read shopaholic first. There's even the rich boss that she falls in love with and a version of Alicia bitch long legs. I liked the book a lot except the ending, which seemed extremely rushed. In the last 20 pages, she comes clean (on a tv show none the less) gets her man back with a snap of her fingers, revenges against the bitch, a ...more
TaleTerror
What can i say, i learnt alot about stealing haha

Character development was great, story was good but the ending could have been much better. The plot didnt really start until the middle of the book and then the peak of the story didnt happen until right at the very end. I felt the ending was cut short and had the potential to be so much better.
Vanessa O
Okay, not great. After she had stolen every item/prayed to every saint imaginable i wondered where the story was goin .. esp as by then i was halfway! But it picked up from there so i dint put the book down. If you dont think you can put up with that just pick up Accidentally Engaged, its much better!
Nick
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Although it is somewhat formulaic in a chick-lit kind of way, Mary Carter's She'll Take It frequently made me laugh out loud on the subway, which is the ultimate test, since I am generally in a foul mood there. Melanie Zeitgeist, I mean Zeitgar, is a lovable keptomaniac you won't soon forget.
~*Kim*~
Feb 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
The story follows Melanie, who is a kleptomaniac, and happens to be a failing actress as well. When ever something goes wrong in her life, she finds something to steal...lipstick, scarves, even salt & pepper shakers.
It's a light chick lit read, but the first half was better than the second half.
Rosie
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of LBDs and this is probably my favourite to date. It's original, witty, smart and laugh out loud funny. I'm going to have to buy another copy, because I gave mine away, and now I want to read it again.

Brilliant!
Chloe
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is a funny, light quick read. Fairly typical chic-lit type story, it's like the same recipe making the same cake, but it's still delicious even if it's not ground-breaking stuff. The kleptomaniac twist added a little something different
Carrie
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like Sophie Kinsella
For fans of Can You Keep a Secret? and other workplace romcoms. Heroine irritated me for the first quarter of the book, but she got a whole lot better (so stick with it). ...more
Diana Santoso
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it
I like the premise, very interesting and unusual, about a shoplifter. Feels like a diary at times, feels a bit too neurotic at times, but I love the happy ending it's given and towards the end, I actually enjoy the writing style.
J S
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked "Accidentally Engaged" a little better than this one--probably because I was a little uncomfortable with the subject of shoplifting. Having said that, it's still in a funny, flowing style that I found easy to get in to.
Lesley
Jan 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of chicklit
Shelves: read-in-2008
Cute, but nothing special.
Heather
Feb 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mary-carter
Cute read...charming story about a clepto who finds love! Charming!
Nell
Dec 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
I couldn't get into this one. It was well written but the heroine didn't work for me. I couldn't empathise with her.
Anel Reyes
Oct 29, 2009 rated it did not like it
it was bad i couldn't even get past the 3rd page
Roni
Mar 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a chick lit and it was my first ones. It was a quick reading. The ending was kind of corny.
Jayl Mehrten
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chic-lit
Major HAHAHA novel, i enjoyed reading this.

thanks to the saint of chic lit authors :P
Beth Lloyd
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Good twist on normal chick lit. I didn't bother reading al of the italic parts- not sure why, just felt in a rush to finish it.
Kirsty
Apr 21, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Was desperate to read something and I'd gotten this book in a bulk lot. Made myself read it. Annoying character!!!
Meg Waltz sickinger
Aug 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute story. It did manage to make me laugh aloud several times.
Good, light read.
Gresia
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
its a funny... very funny... extra ordinary story about a colorful silly girl.

• Sorry Not Sorry
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Un chemin de tables
  • Too Good to Be True
  • Butterfly in Frost
  • Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
  • What Happens in Paradise
  • Sisters by Choice (Blackberry Island, #4)
  • Rogue
  • The Broken Road (The Broken Road, #1)
  • Memories: A Husband to Remember\New Year's Daddy
  • Forever Friends (Cranberry Cove #1)
  • Rabbit Cake
  • A Vintage Wedding
  • The Forgotten Road (The Broken Road, #2)
  • Murder in an Irish Village (Irish Village Mystery #1)
  • Still Summer
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more information. ...more

News & Interviews