Start by marking “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star” as Want to Read:
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star

A favorite lullaby becomes a celebration of love in this lushly illustrated version featuring animals from all over the world.
Published August 1st 2012 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star

Start your review of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
The Library Lady
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
In this day filled with picture books so clearly aimed at hipster librarians (I wince for the millionth time over nonsense like "Kidslit Drink Night)and the sort of parents who think that traditional children's music is boring, this is a lovely example of what picture books are supposed to be about--children--and of the reasons that traditional children's music will survive the hipsters and live forever.

Cabrera has the talent to take a classic children's song and turn it into something new and s
Lori
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this story at a preschool today. Great book with beautiful illustrations. Will use again in story time.
Polly-Alida
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Very sweet. Lovely illustrations of a twinkling star shining down on different landscapes and animals around the world. Perfect bedtime book.
David
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star by Jane Cabrera is an expanded version of the classic lullaby.

Cabrera's bright, colorful illustrations give views of that twinkling star from around the world. Animal pairs of babies and mothers who watch are owls, deer, whales, kangaroos, polar bears, raptors, cats, lions, monkeys, and people. Other animals to spot include squirrel, rabbit, octopus, fish and lizard. I love the picture of Ayers Rock and the kangaroos. My other favorite images are deer, whales, polar
midnightfaerie
Oct 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Cabrera is a great author for the younger crowd. My twin 3 yr old's loved it. Colorful fun pictures that helps get the child engaged and keeps them engaged. The illustrations were paintings that had a unique brushstroke and the colors were so vibrant! Cabrera has a style all her own. Loved the paintings especially! Also, many of her books have themes that are popular children’s songs, so immediately her books grabbed my preschoolers attention. A great addition to any children's library.
Fjóla
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 2 - 5 year olds, bedtime story
We're getting too old for this type of books, but I find the naive illustrations so charming I almost could eat them! I might feel compelled to get a Scholastic copy of the book, just so that I can continue to savor them once we return this one to the library ...

This is a great bedtime story for the younger ones.
Amy Hogue
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Jane Cabrera books. Great for storytimes. This one flows well to the tune until the final verse. With a little practice you can sing it smoothly.
Casandria
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Added verses to the original song, with adorable illustrations.
Felicia Moore
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
cute pictures read it to baby girl
Ashley Dam
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nursery
Jane Cabrera did a fantastic job with the colorful illustrations that gives views of the twinking start from all around the world. This first page of this book introduces the owl and the original song of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. As we keep turning the pages we see baby animals and their mothers watch the twinkling star from their habitat. The pair of animals we see are owls, deer, whales, kangaroos, polar bears, raptors, cats, lions, monkeys, and then people. Each one of these pictures has ...more
Bethany
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Awards received?
n/a

Appropriate Grade level?
Pre K -K

Original Summary:
Venturing off around the globe, Cabrera takes her readers on a journey visiting a variety of animals that all share something in common. Each parent-child pair are looking up into the same sky at the same start. Cabrera takes the traditional verse of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and makes it her own.

Original Review:
A very engaging read that truly makes you want to sing-a-long as you go. Cabrera’s bold images truly transport you
Olivia Hansen
Shelves: nursery
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star by Jane Cabrera has received no awards. I believe this is best suited for Pre K- K. This version of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, Cabrera takes her readers on a journey visiting a variety of animals that all share something in common. Each parent-child pair are looking up into the same sky at the same start. Cabrera takes the traditional verse of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and makes it her own. This book is a very engaging read that truly makes you want to sing-a- ...more
Amanda Oquendo
1. Awards: None

2. Grade Level(s): Preschool - Kindergarten

3. Summary: The book “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star” by Jane Cabrera uses the classic nursery rhyme Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star in a unique way. Throughout the story, it introduces different animals from all over the world who are looking up at the stars in the sky. The classic nursery rhyme is altered to match the animal and their habitat.

4. Review: Overall, this is an excellent and unique way of using the classic Twinkle, Twinkle, Lit
RLL22016_Joy Bailey Bailey
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I think this is one of the coolest night time stories ever. The author, Jane Cabera, took a lullaby and added more verses to it and came up with a wonderful story. I believe when reading this story you can interpret many ways. From my point of view, I believe that all the different any male in this story have a version of what they see in the sky about the same exact star but just from a different point of view, their location on the planet. Some animals are living in cold climates while others ...more
Jessica Steward
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
1 - No awards.

2 - Pre-K through 1st grade

3 - The book starts off with the famous nursery rhyme “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.” Next all different kinds of animals are looking up at the star around the world, mentioning how it shines over the environment they live in. The book then ends with the start looking over the entire earth, and more specifically, a mother and her child.

4 - This book carries a lot of wonderful teaching aspects. It incorporates rhyme, various animals, and various differen
Madison
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: c-nursery-rhymes
1.No awards
2. Pre K - 1st grade
3. This Nursery Rhyme book takes you through the classic rhyme with grown animals and their babies. The rhyme changes throughout the story based on the habitat that the specific animal lives in.
4. I really liked this book, it changes the original rhyme up to line up with the specific animal on the page. The lines were catchy and the illustrations were vivid and capturing.
5. This book can be used to taught about different animals and what their babies are called. Th
Ashley Hickey
Shelves: nursery-rhymes, songs
1. This book is appropriate for Preschool through 1st grade.
2. This book is a version of the lullaby "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". It goes beyond the version that is known to most people. It features animals parents singing the lullaby to their young.
3. This book has great illustrations that children will be drawn to. There is not along of words on the page so it is easy for children to follow along. The rhyming in this book will also be easy for children to retain and remember.
4. One way to us
Gabriella Brown
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: songs
This book is appropriate for pre-k to 1st grade. The story follows the original lullaby and continues as the star travels throughout the world. It appears in the sky and introduces a variety of animals. The book ends with the star shining its light all over the world and our loved ones. The book is a great expansion of the original "twinkle twinkle" song. It introduces the reader to all kinds of different animals. I also enjoyed the heart-warming ending. This book is great to read and sing aloud ...more
Nancy
I read (and sang) this to preschoolers, and to launch our own poems, we asked ourselves: who (or what) do we want to talk to? What do wonder about or what do we want to ask this thing? The kids loved the illustrations, and loved that they could sing along, and I loved that there were new words.

The last page is a bit jarring -- that it is a baby (and not an older child), and that they are so white. (Every time, in every group, there was a bit of a re-adjust at that moment. Like: oh. A baby? White
Samantha Beaujour
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
1. None.
2. Pre k- Kindergarten.
3. A twist on the classic song takes readers all around the world. Parents and their baby animals look up at the stars above and point out the ones they love. A great bedtime story.
4. Once again a classic rhyme that almost every child knows. Perfect for introducing early readers rhyming.
5. Look up and research different types of stars, analyze all the rhyming words.
Gabriella Balbo
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A. N/A

B. PreK-2nd Grade

C. This nursery rhyme is about ones curiosity of the star that shines in the sky.

D. This is a popular nursery rhyme that resonates with many young children. I believe it is very catchy and an easy read for most early readers.

E. Memory- By repeating this nursery rhyme children are able to strengthen their memory skills.

Rhyming- Create a game that matches the rhyming words that are used throughout the nursery rhyme.
Danielle Tulp
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Awards: N/A
Appropriate Age Level: newborn- 6 years
Original Summary: This book shares an original song between baby animals and their parents from the city to the jungle, and places in between.
Original Review: This book puts a twist on an original lullaby and shares the wonder of a star in the sky.
In-Class Uses: This book can be used as a transition before nap time in a younger classroom or as a read-aloud during a thematic unit on families.
Tori
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A picture book version of the old song, but with lots of cool new verses. The illustrations show the star shining down on lots of different parts of the world (deserts, jungles, towns) with different animals that I was sure to point out to the children. It was the perfect length for my preK group, but in the future I'll skip a few verses for the toddler group.
But I say "in the future" because it was a great storytime pick and I'll definitely use it again.
Erin
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I successfully used this in a preschool storytime. It's basically several verses of "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" set around the world with different animal parent/baby combos all looking up at the starry sky. Some great vocabulary words for young children: flicker, shimmer, sparkle, glisten. I would have rated it 4 stars if only it hadn't ended with a blonde mother and child, given how relatively few of the world's children are blonde.
Ashley Quick
Awards the book has received (if any)
No awards received

Appropriate grade level(s)
PreK-K

Original summary:
This book uses a classic song "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", but the sight of the star happens all over the world. It shows parent and baby animals looking at the same star from many different areas of the world.

Original review:
I think the book was a great twist on the classic "Twinkle Twinkle" nursery rhyme. It shows the reader how everyone can take in the beauty of the same star across the
Carlie Morrison
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it

Awards: None
Summary: This book provides beautiful illustrations to a popular childhood song, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
Review: A cute book to sing along too! Provides beautiful visuals to a commonly known and wonderful child's song. Whats not to love?!
Age: Pre-K to First Grade
Uses in class: Leisure/ Independent reading/ Classroom Song
Mya Zuckrow
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: songs
1. This book is appropriate for pre-k through 2nd.

2. This book is about all different animals and their children. You notice that every animal is looking at the same star in the sky even though they aren't in the same place.

3. I like the beginning of the book because it gives the tradition song that you can sing to your children or students and it also gives it an interesting story to have a better understanding what the book is up. Overall, I thought it was adorable and I recommend reading bec
MeganRuth - Alohamora Open a Book
Twinkle, sparkle, shimmer, flicker, and glisten- all synonyms. The great word choice would make it fantastic for a school aged or family read aloud.

Storytime: School age, family, dancing

Lesson/Focus: word choice, vocabulary
Asho
F has always liked Twinkle Twinkle since she was a tiny baby, and owls are her jam (lately she likes pretending to be one, flapping her arms around the house and telling us all "hoo hoo! hoo hoo!" so this was right up her alley. I liked the vibrant illustrations. They really pop!
Gina
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really good bedtime book, with additional verses for the original song, and lots of pictures of animal parents and babies.

I didn't like the cover that much so my expectations were low, but I really liked it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Little Book about Colors (Leo Lionni's Friends)
  • Moo, Baa, La La La!
  • Pete the Cat: The Wheels on the Bus
  • Bear Came Along
  • Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party
  • Jamberry
  • Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
  • The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend
  • Everybunny Dance!
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Just Because
  • The Scarecrow
  • When Spring Comes
  • Little Owl's Orange Scarf
  • Circle
  • Harriet Gets Carried Away
  • Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
Jane Cabrera is best known as an Author and Illustrator of Children's Books.
She has written and illustrated 56 books which have been translated into over 25 languages and won awards in the US and Europe. She lives on the edge of beautiful Dartmoor National Park in the UK.
Her books range from picture story books to concept board books for babies.

FOLLOW ON INSTAGRAM https://www.instagram.com/janec