Start by marking “The Starlight Crystal” as Want to Read:
The Starlight Crystal

The Starlight Crystal

It is 200 years in the future. Paige Christian, 18, has been given the chance to join the crew of the Traveler--a special spaceship/time capsule designed to circle the solar system and study the changes on earth throughout two centuries. But an awful thing happens to the earth--and the Traveler.
Published December 29th 1995 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about The Starlight Crystal, please sign up.
Isabelle That story was the seed that grew into this one. Many elements are the same, but this book has been expanded into a very different story altogether.
The Princess and the Peacock by C.S.  JohnsonThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumThe Yard by Alex GrecianThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
The
498 books — 25 voters
Bleeding Violet by Dia ReevesSlumber Party by Christopher PikeWeekend by Christopher PikeThe House of Evil by R.L. StineThe Tachyon Web by Christopher Pike
Teen Creeps Podcast
133 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

I'm usually such a Christopher Pike fanatic - this year I have an evil plan to read books by him I haven't yet, and re-read books by him I have but never reviewed.

It's all laid out obsessively so, which is how I usually am with most books. I have to say this first book of the year, though - The Starlight Crystal - it and I didn't have chemistry or sync.

He writes well, of course, as he always does, but here there was a stroke of melodrama behind some of the dialogue and emotions. He doesn't typic
Melissa
I love Christopher Pike. I have been reading his books since I was 11 or 12 and I am almost 30 now. His books are amazing, filled with colorful characters, unique settings and amazing stories. And The Starlight Crystal is no exception.

It's probably my most favorite Pike book and it's one of his least well-known. The story is not a typical Pike story and the blurb on the back does not do it justice. Nor does the cover.

Paige Christian is an 18 year old girl who has just fallen in love for the firs
Noel
Apr 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
I have read this book four times and I still adore it. If you like your sci-fi mixed with Eastern philosophy and epic multi-world, multi-lifetime heroes like in the Matrix trilogy, definitely check this out. Don't be put off by the fact that it's marketed as a cheesy teen horror novel- that couldn't be further from what it is.
____________________________

My review from my book journal when I was 12 (I was an aspiring book review columnist):

"Pike's best book, full of wonder, grief, inevitability
Glynnis
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christopher Pike is a King.
I have said this "ironically" in the past before, but I have had a crazy year, and returning to these favorites (thank you Megan and Rachel) helped me get through it.
Thank you, CP!
Emily
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marcy Jo
Aug 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: myalltimefaves
Heaven only knows how many times I've read this book, though the last time was well over a decade ago. I remembered how much I loved this book, but I had forgotten how utterly depressing it is. Reading it was like reading 200 pages of chapter three of New Moon, gut wrenching pain. Except this is worse, because there isn't just a metaphorical death to deal with, it is total loss.

I had also forgotten that this was the period in Pike's writing career where he went off into eastern philosophy as th
Michelle
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had read The Starlight Crystal when I was twelve and my curiosity in Cosmology and Physics was only just budding, it helped to put a more personal spin on the same topics I was reading from Hawking and Greene. This book is perfect for young adults who are tired of the same "Romantic Fantasy" or for the nerdy little girl who wants to read about a deeper love than teen vampires. To my younger self this book had a great influence in my personal ideology: We are all microscopic in the eyes of the ...more
Dichotomy Girl
Jun 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012, sci-fi, ya
I don't remember Christopher Pike sucking this bad. In fact, I remember him being a guilty pleasure read as a teenager. I guess it's good to know that my reading tastes have matured so well.

I found this book pretty stupid. In fact, I only finished reading it because it was so short and I was kind of hoping that there would be some grand epiphany at the end and suddenly everything would make sense.
Sylvie
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, teen-creeps
Teen Creeps made me read this! I missed reading this when I was a kid but I know I would have LOVED it. As an adult, it feels a little rushed, especially the romance (it is short AF after all), but I have to give Pike tons of credit for taking on such an ambitious idea and getting it done in like 200 pages. If this was written in 2018 it'd probably be a trilogy with 1000000000000% more internal monologue and hand wringing, so I'll take the short version any day.
Jenny
3.5 stars. TeenCreeps podcast brought me here and despite it losing some of my interest towards the last third of the book, this was a conceptually fascinating premise with pretty good writing. Lots of philosophy and depth to the plot, but the characters needed a bit more fleshing out early on in the book.
Amanda
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Christopher Pike
An old favorite. Makes me cry every time!
Rachel
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I will love this book until the end of Creation and then back to the beginning and then...wait, huh?
PurplyCookie
It is two hundred years in the future and 18 year old Paige Christian has been given a chance to join the crew of the Traveler, a special spaceship designed to circle the solar system at near light speed. One day aboard the Traveler is equal to ten years on Earth. It is a time capsule as well as a spaceship whose purpose is to study the changes on earth throughout two centuries, and then return home.

Something awful happens to the ship and the Earth and the years pass, billions of them, and stil
Cheyenne Kai
The Starlight Crystal is a very thought-provoking novel, and perhaps - as I went into it blind - one of the strangest books I have ever read.

Although it is relatively short, it packs a lot in. Description was sacrificed, but I still adored the tone and style of this book.

Even though the characters were easy to imagine and create a bond with, the insta-love was a little bit of an issue. As most of the book focuses on Paige Christian wanting to get back to Tem, I think the gravity of their love c
Clinton
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-collection
I will do this man a disservice or..maybe just not be entirely fair by not copying what I say for all of his other books. So far, I come away with the same gratitude that I was able to purchase his books and read them. I simply love them.

What else can I say about Mr. Christopher Pike that hasn't already been said? Each novel that I've read, I've been so enticed by (to say the very least). He creates wonderful characters, a thrilling and creative story while not getting overly complicated with it
Zehra
Jan 16, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Isabelle
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Remains my favorite Christopher Pike story to date. The concepts are perhaps a little too deep - a blend of science fiction, mysticism and spirituality - to fully be given justice in a YA novel. Nonetheless, the idea of a young woman who travels to the end of the Universe and the end of Time itself and lives through two Creations - I have never read anything that comes close to such a stirring love story. For at the heart of it, the book is a story of love (as all Pike's books are) - and no sill ...more
Lena
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
This year I am re-reading books from my childhood.

This book was a wild ride. It's got time dilation! It's got freaking awesome spaceships! It's got incest clones! It's got multiple genocides! It's got the heat death of the universe followed by a second Big Bang! It's got meditations on such topics as genetic memory, determinism, reincarnation, causality, the nature of consciousness, and true soulmate love!

But does it need all of those things? Heck no! (view spoiler)
Aug 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I read the crap out of Pike when I was a kid. It was like the graduation from Boxcar Children and Goosebumps = Sweet Valley and Christopher Pike. And now, when I think back on his books, THIS is the one that easily stood the most remembered in my head. I was glued to the concepts of time, space, and free will that this book touched on. And of course it had to have the drama, teenage love story. But still, you couldn't pull me away from Starlight Crystal and a couple years later listening to Sava ...more
Emairelhd Eartheart
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book ever, I read it in the late 90's and have read it many many times since then. I have gone through at least 4 copies of the book, 2 that I loaned to friends who fell in love with it also so I gave it to them and one copy I actually wore ragged until I had to buy a new one. There seems to be two types of people who read this book, you either think its weird and no big thing - or you are absolutely stunningly amazed at how well planned and developed and freaking brilliant t ...more
Sophie
Jan 30, 2010 rated it liked it
There was a time when this was my favorite book in the world. I reread it so many times I lost count. It was EPIC! With ALIENS and TIME TRAVEL (SORT OF) and SPACE and DEATH and LOVE and CLONING! I think this is where I learned about relativity. Thanks again Christopher Pike.
Karanveer
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the most thought provoking and imaginative books which I read as a teenager. It has the optimum combination of science fiction and romance.
Don't remember much of it, but it was one of those books which you know you really like, and have no idea why.
Chris Morton
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
It was okay.
DaNonne graham
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
it's a great book about what god might be and how life started and where its heading.
Andrea
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
The first time I read this book I was in middle school and found it an enthralling, time traveling epic. Coming back to it again 20 some odd years later, the sci-fi adventure story falls flat. I suppose that's the consequence of reading far far better books in it's genre in the interim years.
Emily Dean
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this one, but it was a little too all over the place for me. I love Christopher Pike books, but I'm not as big of a sci-fi fan, so maybe that's why this one fell flat. I would've liked to see more character development and have loose ends tied up a bit more.
Danielle Schutte
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fast read. Kept me entertained. I didn't want to put it down. It gave a different spin on death and the beginning of everything.
Sraah
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
what came first - the chicken or the egg?
Shawn Harpaul
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great work, nice blend of scifi with some spiritual concepts.
Matthew
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
A fun scifi novel, but goes in too many places to be a great read, please not it's a fun read, but the story line is a bit convoluted.
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • The Evil Moon (Fear Street: The Cataluna Chronicles, #1)
  • The Possessed (Dark Visions, #2)
  • The Locker
  • Singularity
  • The Yearbook
  • The Initiation (Nightmare Hall, #14)
  • The Curse of the Ruby Necklace (Sweet Valley Twins Super Chiller, #5)
  • Oddly Enough
  • Book of Signs (Diadem, Worlds of Magic, #2)
  • Spirits That Walk in Shadow (Chapel Hollow, #3)
  • Dreamwalker (Dreamwalker, #1)
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm
“They are all I have left—the stars and the memory of the many times I wished upon them. But with all those wishes, I asked for only one thing.

To see him again.

But I will not see him again. I do not see him now.”
36 likes
“How do I explain a life that has lasted for billions of years? It is almost as if I must start with an apology for being alive when everyone I once knew is dead.” 20 likes