Start by marking “The Starlight Crystal” as Want to Read:
The Starlight Crystal

The Starlight Crystal

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  1,877 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
It is 200 years in the future. Paige Christian, 18, has been given the chance to join the crew of the Traveler--a special spaceship/time capsule designed to circle the solar system and study the changes on earth throughout two centuries. But an awful thing happens to the earth--and the Traveler.
Published December 29th 1995 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about The Starlight Crystal, please sign up.

Isabelle That story was the seed that grew into this one. Many elements are the same, but this book has been expanded into a very different story altogether.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

I'm usually such a Christopher Pike fanatic - this year I have an evil plan to read books by him I haven't yet, and re-read books by him I have but never reviewed.

It's all laid out obsessively so, which is how I usually am with most books. I have to say this first book of the year, though - The Starlight Crystal - it and I didn't have chemistry or sync.

He writes well, of course, as he always does, but here there was a stroke of melodrama behind some of the dialogue and emotions. He doesn't typic
Melissa
I love Christopher Pike. I have been reading his books since I was 11 or 12 and I am almost 30 now. His books are amazing, filled with colorful characters, unique settings and amazing stories. And The Starlight Crystal is no exception.

It's probably my most favorite Pike book and it's one of his least well-known. The story is not a typical Pike story and the blurb on the back does not do it justice. Nor does the cover.

Paige Christian is an 18 year old girl who has just fallen in love for the firs
Noel
Apr 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
I have read this book four times and I still adore it. If you like your sci-fi mixed with Eastern philosophy and epic multi-world, multi-lifetime heroes like in the Matrix trilogy, definitely check this out. Don't be put off by the fact that it's marketed as a cheesy teen horror novel- that couldn't be further from what it is.
____________________________

My review from my book journal when I was 12 (I was an aspiring book review columnist):

"Pike's best book, full of wonder, grief, inevitability
Glynnis
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christopher Pike is a King.
I have said this "ironically" in the past before, but I have had a crazy year, and returning to these favorites (thank you Megan and Rachel) helped me get through it.
Thank you, CP!
Marcy Jo
Aug 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: myalltimefaves
Heaven only knows how many times I've read this book, though the last time was well over a decade ago. I remembered how much I loved this book, but I had forgotten how utterly depressing it is. Reading it was like reading 200 pages of chapter three of New Moon, gut wrenching pain. Except this is worse, because there isn't just a metaphorical death to deal with, it is total loss.

I had also forgotten that this was the period in Pike's writing career where he went off into eastern philosophy as th
Michelle
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had read The Starlight Crystal when I was twelve and my curiosity in Cosmology and Physics was only just budding, it helped to put a more personal spin on the same topics I was reading from Hawking and Greene. This book is perfect for young adults who are tired of the same "Romantic Fantasy" or for the nerdy little girl who wants to read about a deeper love than teen vampires. To my younger self this book had a great influence in my personal ideology: We are all microscopic in the eyes of the ...more
Dichotomy Girl
Jun 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012, sci-fi, ya
I don't remember Christopher Pike sucking this bad. In fact, I remember him being a guilty pleasure read as a teenager. I guess it's good to know that my reading tastes have matured so well.

I found this book pretty stupid. In fact, I only finished reading it because it was so short and I was kind of hoping that there would be some grand epiphany at the end and suddenly everything would make sense.
Amanda
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Christopher Pike
An old favorite. Makes me cry every time!
Chelsey
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Teen Creeps made me read this! I missed reading this when I was a kid but I know I would have LOVED it. As an adult, it feels a little rushed, especially the romance (it is short AF after all), but I have to give Pike tons of credit for taking on such an ambitious idea and getting it done in like 200 pages. If this was written in 2018 it'd probably be a trilogy with 1000000000000% more internal monologue and hand wringing, so I'll take the short version any day.
Rachel
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I will love this book until the end of Creation and then back to the beginning and then...wait, huh?
PurplyCookie
It is two hundred years in the future and 18 year old Paige Christian has been given a chance to join the crew of the Traveler, a special spaceship designed to circle the solar system at near light speed. One day aboard the Traveler is equal to ten years on Earth. It is a time capsule as well as a spaceship whose purpose is to study the changes on earth throughout two centuries, and then return home.

Something awful happens to the ship and the Earth and the years pass, billions of them, and stil
Cheyenne Kai
The Starlight Crystal is a very thought-provoking novel, and perhaps - as I went into it blind - one of the strangest books I have ever read.

Although it is relatively short, it packs a lot in. Description was sacrificed, but I still adored the tone and style of this book.

Even though the characters were easy to imagine and create a bond with, the insta-love was a little bit of an issue. As most of the book focuses on Paige Christian wanting to get back to Tem, I think the gravity of their love c
Clinton
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-collection
I will do this man a disservice or..maybe just not be entirely fair by not copying what I say for all of his other books. So far, I come away with the same gratitude that I was able to purchase his books and read them. I simply love them.

What else can I say about Mr. Christopher Pike that hasn't already been said? Each novel that I've read, I've been so enticed by (to say the very least). He creates wonderful characters, a thrilling and creative story while not getting overly complicated with it
Isabelle
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Remains my favorite Christopher Pike story to date. The concepts are perhaps a little too deep - a blend of science fiction, mysticism and spirituality - to fully be given justice in a YA novel. Nonetheless, the idea of a young woman who travels to the end of the Universe and the end of Time itself and lives through two Creations - I have never read anything that comes close to such a stirring love story. For at the heart of it, the book is a story of love (as all Pike's books are) - and no sill ...more
Emairelhd Eartheart
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book ever, I read it in the late 90's and have read it many many times since then. I have gone through at least 4 copies of the book, 2 that I loaned to friends who fell in love with it also so I gave it to them and one copy I actually wore ragged until I had to buy a new one. There seems to be two types of people who read this book, you either think its weird and no big thing - or you are absolutely stunningly amazed at how well planned and developed and freaking brilliant t ...more
Jenny
3.5 stars. TeenCreeps podcast brought me here and despite it losing some of my interest towards the last third of the book, this was a conceptually fascinating premise with pretty good writing. Lots of philosophy and depth to the plot, but the characters needed a bit more fleshing out early on in the book.
Sophie
Jan 30, 2010 rated it liked it
There was a time when this was my favorite book in the world. I reread it so many times I lost count. It was EPIC! With ALIENS and TIME TRAVEL (SORT OF) and SPACE and DEATH and LOVE and CLONING! I think this is where I learned about relativity. Thanks again Christopher Pike.
Karanveer
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the most thought provoking and imaginative books which I read as a teenager. It has the optimum combination of science fiction and romance.
Don't remember much of it, but it was one of those books which you know you really like, and have no idea why.
DaNonne graham
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
it's a great book about what god might be and how life started and where its heading.
Danielle Schutte
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fast read. Kept me entertained. I didn't want to put it down. It gave a different spin on death and the beginning of everything.
Sraah
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
what came first - the chicken or the egg?
Shawn Harpaul
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great work, nice blend of scifi with some spiritual concepts.
Matthew
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
A fun scifi novel, but goes in too many places to be a great read, please not it's a fun read, but the story line is a bit convoluted.
Chris Morton
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
It was okay.
Taylor Mazzola
Dec 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a very interseting book for certain people. I gave this book a 4/5 because of the following reasons....

They get off topic to much
Way to much muchy love stuff
And it gets boring and you dont really know what they are talking about and you just dont feel like reading it anymore. ( trust me i stoped this book like 3 times)

this girl is in collge and she meets this guy and they soon fall in love but she forgets to tell him that she is going on a trip into space with her father. But of course s
Zehra
Jan 16, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kate
Dec 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Christopher Pike Fans, YA sci fi fans
Shelves: read-in-2010
I prefer Pike thrillers to his science fiction stories. The few books I read that qualify as sci-fi are more on the fantasy side of the genre. The Starlight Crystal begins a few hundreds years into the future and ends many lifetimes later. The names Alosha and the Shanti are mentioned so I wonder if that has anything to do with Pike's middle age trilogy which I have yet to read. At the heart of the book is Paige, a young woman who falls in love a week before she is scheduled to embark on a space ...more
Mehreen
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I was given this book by my boyfriend because he loved it as a kid and wanted me to understand his perspective. I must admit the sci fi elements were a bit over my head but I still found it to be a beautiful story. Despite all the physics, it's a timeless love story and a story about humanity and creation.

I used to be really afraid of dying, it made life feel so pointless. But this book can really inspire wonder in all we do not know about the universe and other planets/species/races. Cloning wi
Kristen
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was in 6th and 7th grade. Nearing my 30 year mark I decided to track this book down and reread it. I remembered much of the story and loved it even after all of these years.

One of the first sci-fi books I devoured with a love story that didn't seem forced when I was younger(and wasn't too keen on such things). A story with a lead that stuck with me for years, even if she was at the back of my mind. Honestly I can't seem to really place in words how much I enjoyed this st
Jessica Lange
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I first read this book 9-10 years ago when I was in elementary school. For at least 5 years I have wanted to read it again but couldn't remember the name of it or who the author was. I am so glad I found it. I am in love with the story. Every moment keeps you interested and I didn't want to stop until I was finished. This is a book that really makes you think and question everything you know. Pike really grabs the reader's attention filled with love, loss, aliens, and space travel. Absolutely wo ...more
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • The Possessed (Dark Visions, #2)
  • Silent Stalker
  • The Yearbook
  • Evolussion (Book Two of the Infinion Series)
  • The Deadly Fire (Fear Street: The Cataluna Chronicles, #3)
  • Singularity
  • Book of Signs (Diadem, Worlds of Magic, #2)
  • The Initiation (Nightmare Hall, #14)
  • The Christmas Killer
  • The Evil Twin (Sweet Valley High, #100)
  • Dance Till You Die (Nancy Drew: Files, #100)
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm
More about Christopher Pike

Young Adult Deals

• Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Silent Harmony (Fairmont Riding Academy, #1)
  • You Are Not Small
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt (Atlanta Burns, #2)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Atlanta Burns (Atlanta Burns #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Ever Get Out of Here
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
  • Stop Pretending: Poems About When My Big Sister Went Craz
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
  • Invisible Emmie
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
  • Grit
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Ruined
  • Exo (Exo #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
“They are all I have left—the stars and the memory of the many times I wished upon them. But with all those wishes, I asked for only one thing.

To see him again.

But I will not see him again. I do not see him now.”
36 likes
“How do I explain a life that has lasted for billions of years? It is almost as if I must start with an apology for being alive when everyone I once knew is dead.” 21 likes