Start by marking “Heroin: A True Story Of Drug Addiction, Hope, And Triumph” as Want to Read:
Heroin: A True Story Of Drug Addiction, Hope, And Triumph

Heroin: A True Story Of Drug Addiction, Hope, And Triumph

Hardcover
Published by Not Avail (first published May 8th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Heroin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heroin

Lyndsay Byrne
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Julie is obviously not a writer, so aside from the repetition and grammar etc that some have commented on, focusing on the story itself, I found it fascinating. I felt for her mother, my heart broke for her. Its an interesting story, with a positive outcome, thankfully!
Sam Dunne
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional book depicting the reality of drug use; hard hitting example of how environment can shape us. Make one think about the multilayers of society; disadvantage and privilege perpetuates the social divide.
Cheryl
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an interesting read. I picked this up because I wanted to read more non-fiction this year. I'm also looking to read more short stories and this is only 194 pages long.

I read this in a couple of hours. It was really interesting to see drugs from the side of an ex-user. There is so much out there and so many opinions, but not a huge amount from the users themselves.

It shows how easy it is to let drugs take over. It also shows the strength it takes to overcome this.

Parts of the writing
Margaret Madden
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Let me start by admitting that, as I opened the first page, I said to my hubby 'It better not be all about thanking God'. And there it was, on the first page: "I would like to start with thanking God [...] His hand was on me". Turns out she's now a born again Christian. I'm not a religious person so immediately felt irritated. But, I kept going and read in one sitting. It's short (195 pages of HUGE font) and seems to be in her own words, as grammar is awful, spelling mistakes and lack of editing ...more
Ben
May 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Heroin: A True Story Of Drug Addiction, Hope, and Triumph, by Julie O'Toole is a memoir about her life as a heroin addict. This is a pretty good book but not one of my favorites. It was very interesting to hear what it was actually like for Julie as she grew up on the streets of Dublin as a heroin addict. She had to go through a lot each day, life was a big struggle for her. I found it interesting that she first tried heroin at the age of 16, because at that age, you usually know better. She wen ...more
Aimee
Aug 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs
Definitely an interesting tale of heroin addiction and lifestyle changes in Dublin during the 80's and 90's. Good memoir, but lacked a lot of detail. I'm not sure if details are missing because the author can't remember them due to her drug abuse or that she decided to tell the story this way.
Naomiroche
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
fasinating !
Ashley Barnett
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I would without a doubt read this book again and maybe once more after that. I read it for the first time 2 years ago and I found it to be a very reputable account of addiction.
Chiara
Jul 06, 2018
Eimear McHugh
Mar 26, 2017
Silvia GT
rated it did not like it
Apr 07, 2017