Start by marking “The Penny Bangle” as Want to Read:
The Penny Bangle

The Penny Bangle

(Charton Minster #3)

When should you trust your heart?
It’s 1942 when Cassie Taylor reluctantly leaves Birmingham to become a land girl on a farm in Dorset.

There she meets Robert and Stephen Denham, twins recovering from injuries sustained at Dunkirk. Cassie is instantly drawn to Stephen, but is wary of the more complex Robert – who doesn’t seem to like Cassie one little bit.

At first, Robert wa
Published May 7th 2012 by Choc Lit (first published October 31st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Penny Bangle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Penny Bangle

Start your review of The Penny Bangle
Shirley Revill
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the third and last book in this series by Margaret James and I have enjoyed every one.
The narration was absolutely superb and made me feel I really knew the characters in the story.
This particular book is set in world war two and really gave a glimpse of how life was then when women took on the men's jobs and became land girls,drivers etc.
I really love books set in this era and this particular book was really interesting with the story it told when two people of a different class meet a
Charlotte Mcfall
The Penny Bangle is so much more than a romance, it gives the reader a glimpse of the work of women during the second world war. After being sent from Birmingham by her grandmother Cassie joins the land girls.
I laughed on page one when Cassie our 19 year old heroine dropped her underwear on the station platform and when she got hit by a bull. Finding her self in several sticky situations you are always willing her to get out of anything she finds herself. Especially when she gets drunk on Champa
Christina
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy romantic tales set during the second World War, with plucky heroines and gallant heroes, then this book is for you! The heroine, Cassie, is a city sparrow who has never seen the countryside when she signs on to be a land girl. But she’s determined to learn quickly and not even the farm bull can dent her spirit! When the hero Robert begins to show his appreciation, she tries to remain indifferent, but he’s not the sort of man any girl can resist for long. Soon they are falling in lov ...more
Janelovering
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! As I've said before, I'm neither a family saga person, a war story person nor someone who reads anything historical at all if I can help it. But this was lovely, like revisiting old relatives of whom one is distantly fond and listening to tales of the family long before you were born, somehow. And I cried at Alex's funeral too....
Blodeuedd Finland
This is actually part 3 in a series but it can well be read on its own. Book 1 took place during WWI, book 2 was about that couple's daughter and this book has a new heroine named Cassie who arrives at a farm to work. The farm owned by the couple from book 1. It's her story.

I have read the other two books but this was actually my favorite. I can't say what made it so, was the writing better? The story? The heroine? Who can tell what tiny detail makes me fall more? I did like the two previous boo
Jo Butler
Cassie Taylor isn’t sure whether she is lucky or unfortunate to be sent to a Dorsetshire farm during World War II. She will be safe from Nazi bombs, but she will have to earn her living. Farming is hard labor, her quarters and food are not luxurious, but Cassie is determined to fit into her new home with the Denhams The family includes a pair of handsome twins just few years older than Cassie.

Robert is recuperating from war wounds, and proves a stern tutor in how to handle livestock. On the othe
The Commuting Bookworm
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Steve Emmett
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Romance is not my genre but I read this book in two sittings. James wastes no time in getting the story going and keeping it on a roll. Recommended as a change for people like me.
Kathryn
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: choc-lit
The Penny Bangle is the last in a trilogy of books following the lives and loves of various members of the Denham family. It’s a series I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading and a family who I’m sorry to have to leave behind, no matter how fitting an end The Penny Bangle is to the series.

In The Penny Bangle, it’s the turn of Alex and Rose Denham’s twin sons, Robert and Stephen, to take centre stage. It’s 1942 and both men are home, recovering from injuries they suffered at Dunkirk. Into their lives co
Louise Graham
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Choc Lit approached me to see if I would be interested in reviewing this book, I had a quick look at their website to see what the book was about and noticed it was the 3rd book in the Trilogy. My concern was that I hadn’t read the first two but they said that wouldn’t be a problem and I totally agree. It reads as a stand alone as the other two books focus on other characters from the book and therefore doesn’t distract your enjoyment of the book.

As with all Chock Lit books, you know you ar
Gayle
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while listening to this story to get involved. It is set in the 1940s during World War Two. The lives of men and women are being drastically altered and love blossoms in the strangest places.
Jessica
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
As with the other books in the series, I was wanting more.
Many things could have been tied up nicely, yet there seemed to be a rush during the last few chapters. As if trying to fit in a lot of information towards the end.
Nicki
Loved this, it's my favourite of the series. Patricia Gallimore was a brilliant narrator, I kept having to remind myself that it was just her doing all the voices, male and female. Full review to follow.
Karen
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
an easy read about love and war. enjoyed the whole trilogy.
Wrathsqueen
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
My review of The Penny Bangle by Margaret James: http://wrathsqueensbooks.blogspot.co.... ...more
Blythe Smith
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review-books
Meh.
Pauline
Nice easy read.
Claire
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by Margaret James. The Penny Bangle is the third book in the Charton Minster Trilogy. I have not read the first two books but definitely will be as I thoroughly enjoyed The Penny Bangle. The Penny Bangle can be read as a standalone book.

The book is based in the 2nd World War and the detail and content shows how much research has gone into the book. I learnt so much about how it was to live during the 2nd World War and how this affected their lives, world and wo
Allyssa Huck

• The Ringmaster's Daughter
  • Before the Rains
  • The Birthday Present
  • Distress Signals
  • The Shrine (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #16)
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • Six Ways to Sunday
  • Christmas at Rachel’s Pudding Pantry
  • The French Photographer
  • The Cry
  • The Downstairs Maid
A pseudonym used by Pamela Bennetts.

Margaret James has been a member of the RNA for 22 years. She has written thirteen published novels, many short stories, and she also teaches creative writing for the London School of Journalism. Margaret's first novel was A Touch of Earth, a family saga set in Herefordshire where she was born and grew up, and her most recent is The Penny Bangle, set in Dorset

Charton Minster (7 books)
  • The Silver Locket (Charton Minster #1)
  • The Golden Chain (Charton Minster #2)
  • The Wedding Diary