Start by marking “Fed (Newsflesh Trilogy, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Fed (Newsflesh Trilogy, #1.5)

Fed

(Newsflesh #1.5)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  1,606 Ratings  ·  218 Reviews
An alternate ending to the first novel in the Newsflesh trilogy, Feed.

It can be read also on the webpage of orbit books - orbitbooks.net

Be advised there are major spoilers for FEED contained therein. If you haven’t read FEED yet, don’t go any further. These books are fantastic as the many Newsflesh fans will tell you. You’ll want to enjoy every surprising twist and turn on
Published May 16th 2012 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Fed, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

karen
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
i am really glad i didn't read this right after i read feed. it would have been really unsatisfying. as an alternate ending, yeah it works, but it's really just kicking someone when they're down. i mean, it's already bleak, both if you are the kind of person who is really sensitive and the idea of a world destroyed by zombies is enough to bring your emotions to the surface, but also if you are made of somewhat tougher stuff and get, you know, attached to characters (stay away from george r.r. ma ...more
Wendy Darling
Damn it to hell, Mira Grant. Just when we thought you couldn't make us cry any more, you come along with another scenario that punches us in the gut AGAIN.

You can read this alternate ending to FEED at the bottom of the BLACKOUT review on our blog which is ONLY safe for those who have already read the first book. I keep saying this, but holy frak, that woman is an evil genius.
Alice
Fed is an alternative timeline of the end of Feed. If you think the real ending was an emotional punch in the gut, wait until you read how it could've happened. Fed is available for free on Facebook if you "Like" this page.

Mira Grant (aka Seanan McGuire) has often hinted that she knows what would've happened if Feed had ended differently. In Deadline, there's a reference to the figurehead working for the bad guys having been planted to specifically prey on one scenario. Mira Grant has said in in
elizabeth • paper ghosts
Alona
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Alona by: Tina
I said I won't read this yet. BUT. It's in FB. It's just one click away.

I like Feed's ending better than this.

(view spoiler)

Good thing I still felt numb after reading Feed. It's an alternate ending. I'm glad it was NOT the ending or I'll throw all the books within my reach. (I can't throw my kind
Aaron Vincent
May 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
When I read the author's opening along the lines:

"It is not what happened.
But it could have.
We came very close."

I thought I would get the happy ending I didn't got from the original one. I thought that "close" is something everyone wanted -- something triumphant.

I should have known better. This is a zombie novel in the first place. But still.

BUT.

Mira Grant -- or Seanan Maguire, whatever appeals to you more -- don't do this to me again. And please see a shrink. Stat. That is the truth and I beli
Lori Redman
Dec 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
I'm beginning to see how the remaining books in this trilogy have more than 4 stars rating even though they are just not that good (or at least, I've only read this- the 1.5, and Book Two)- the people who read the first book and liked it continue to read, and since they liked the first book, they are more likely to enjoy and highly rate the remaining books... even if they are just plain AWFUL.

This is 90% of the last few chapters in Feed, with some slightly different wording. By which I mean, the
Maria
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopia
I recommend Fed.

*****

You would've thought that there is an alternate ending because Mira Grant wanted you to have a not-so-earth-shattering ending compared to the real ending of Feed. Goodness, think again. Mira writes to torture us Newsflesh fanatics. Torture, i tell you! :)

I still liked the ending of Feed after I read Fed. I mean, if i have to choose heartbreak (Fed) over the previous bigger heartbreak (Feed), i'd choose Feed's heartbreak. I say, why not go for the bigger kill eh, Mira Grant?
Tina
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, ebooks, sci-fi
If you haven't read Feed yet, don't even try opening this. Read it first, digest it, and then come back for this when you're ready enough to do so.

Well if you think having your heart broken from Feed wasn't enough, try this alternate ending. I never thought it could happen this way, but when you think about it, this seemed like the way it could and would happen.

Of course, if you've read Deadline, questions will pop up about how this ending happened. But that doesn't make this less heart breakin
Ari
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Yep, the original version is better, I wouldn't have liked this to happen at the end of Feed.

"This is another way the end of Feed could have gone: it picks up with the events of what would originally have been chapter twenty-five.
It is not what happened. But it could have. We came very close.
Rise up while you can."
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
This is an alternate ending for Feed. As Grant put it:
This is another way the end of Feed could have gone: it picks up with the events of what would originally have been chapter twenty-five. It is not what happened.

But it could have.

We came very close.
The actual canon ending has more punch. I think I prefer it, from a critical standpoint. But bizarrely, I think I would have preferred the Deadline that would have resulted from this ending. Rick being gloomy and morose until something came along
*~Lan Lan~*
Overall, this was an interesting read. This depressing look into what 'could have been' was very, very, very depressing. It even kind of felt unnecessarily sad. This version of what the ending could have been had everything from complete shit show to utmost feelings of despair to the gut retching realization that everything was lost. If this had been the ending in the published version of 'Feed' I would have lost my shit. I really felt that the published ending in 'Feed' was the best one. It ha ...more
James
May 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
I hadn't really planned to read this at all. An alternate ending to the book Feed , which I read nearly 20 months ago, and having read the two sequels to Feed already it didn't seem that important to read this anymore. But, the short story, How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea , bubbled to the top of my next-in-series shelf before Mira Grant had gotten around to writing it yet, so I substituted Fed instead.

Grant herself describes this as: "It is not what happened. But it could have. We cam
Kat_merle
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fed
by Mira Grant

Fanfiction for Newsflesh Trilogy

Can I really call it FANfiction when it was written by the author herself? I remember shortly after Feed was published Mira Grant saying she wanted to write an alternative ending to feed where one key detail changed and how the story would have ended. With the final installment of the trilogy coming out Grant allowed herself that chance and posted it to Facebook as a teaser for Blackout. I of course devoured the story and then was amused when it wa
Elena
This alternate ending to Feed fell far short of the original. There's a reason the ending to Feed is the way it is, and it's because this one was pretty unsatisfying. While this version is technically a worst case scenario, it didn't have the same gut-wrenching emotional charge that the real ending provided. (view spoiler) ...more
Erin
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Because that's a happy alternate ending to FEED . . .

Yes, I feel like I must resort to some sort of humour and gifs to counteract how depressing this was. Depressing in a good way! A good way that broke my heart and pretty much destroyed me! But good!
Kimberley doruyter
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it
one things for sure if that had been the ending to feed there would not have been a sequel.
usagi ☆ミ
Holy crap. I'm glad things didn't end this way, but still, this is a great alternate ending!
Paul Bonamy
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Alex
i don’t know how i feel about this - if its aim was to tug at my heartstrings then it definitely succeeded, but the fact that it was just names and pronouns switched definitely stopped me from being too absorbed in the storyline.

i think it’s really interesting to think about how the trilogy would have turned out if this were the ending, but i’m glad grant went with the original ending of feed. there’s only so much heartbreak a girl can take.
Melissa
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: only-ebook
not sure whether this was just as bad, more bearable or worse, but I am gonna go for more bearable cuz that whole van scene wasn't there
Bisquit
I'm sorry but this book sums up all of my problems with the first book of the series, Feed. If you can simply switch a character, and the text, interactions and reactions of the other characters mostly stay the same, even if the two characters are alike, then something went wrong. Those characters of Mira Grant in Feed and in Fed simply lack depth - they are there so the plot can work out, but that's it. The plot doesn't revolve around the characters, the characters revolve around the plot.

Mayb
Barry
Apr 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
I got the Newsflesh trilogy on the back of the Hugo nominations for each book in the series. I'll be honest I read Feed and thought it was completely overrated with characters who annoyed the hell out of me. Basically, their actions and voices got on my nerves from page one. In fact I wanted Shaun to die on page one.

I downloaded the pdf of the alternative ending of Feed at the time of buying the three books. Since I disliked the book quite a lot I didn't bother with 'alternative' ending for abou
Kerry *Soulcaster*
I absolutely LOVED the ending of Feed, so this alternative ending had a lot to live up to. It didn't quite do it for me mainly because: (view spoiler) ...more
Sam
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of "Feed"
Shelves: short-stories
This is the alternative ending to Feed. And i'm so glad it didn't end like this!! First off, i don't know how Deadline would have worked with this and secondly, it was a lot sadder than the actual ending! And the original ending was sad enough!! But it was still interesting to read what would have happened if the things from chapter 25 onwards happened differently. A must read for fans of "Feed".
Keertana
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
You have got to be kidding me. Mira Grant, wasn't it enough to rip our hearts out the first time? Why couldn't you leave my sobbing body of despair and loneliness and unhappiness alone? Now I feel like dying all freaking over again! Well...I actually am kind of glad this isn't the ending. I always thought alternate endings were supposed to make you happier...not when Mira Grant writes them apparently.

Still, this was brilliant and stunningly realistic. Gosh, can this woman write or what?
Denise
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
An alternate ending for Feed, spelling out a "what if..." scenario that was also occasionally contemplated in the later books. It was interesting to see how things could have gone if one event happened just a little differenty, although IMO this version just didn't have the same extreme gut punch impact as the original ending.
Kreiden
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
“The Alternate Ending with possibilities…”

Whoa! It was more messed up ending than the original one. I must say that I really appreciate the author ‘Mira Grant’ for making this alternative ending. Although it was really sad->how it ended with the Mason Siblings.

The Original Ending is still the best! =)
mrsj
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
You see, I can't remember the ending of book 1. But I know what happened.

This alternate ending is good but not to my liking.
I prefer crazy Shaun.
Yep. I do.

(view spoiler)
Holly
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Alternate ending to "Feed" - this would have made the series VERY different. I like both endings, but now I'm curious as to what the author would have done for Deadline and Blackout had she used this ending.
  • One Hell of a Ride (InCryptid, #0.02)
  • In The Land Of The Dead (Rot & Ruin, #1.5)
  • Desolation
  • Maker Space (Rachel Peng, #2)
  • Shambling With the Stars (Living With the Dead, #2.5)
  • A Fantasy Medley 2
  • Sadie Walker is Stranded (Zombie, #2)
  • Ground Zero (The Becoming, #2)
  • Unfed (Undead, #2)
Mira also writes as Seanan McGuire.

Born and raised in Northern California, Mira Grant has made a lifelong study of horror movies, horrible viruses, and the inevitable threat of the living dead. In college, she was voted Most Likely to Summon Something Horrible in the Cornfield, and was a founding member of the Horror Movie Sleep-Away Survival Camp, where her record for time survived in the Swamp C

Newsflesh (4 books)
  • Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy, #1)
  • Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy, #2)
  • Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Feedback (Newsflesh, #4)