Start by marking “The Cormorant (Miriam Black, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Cormorant (Miriam Black, #3)

The Cormorant (Miriam Black #3)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  1,845 Ratings  ·  267 Reviews
Miriam is on the road again, having transitioned from "thief" to "killer".

Hired by a wealthy businessman, she heads down to Florida to practice the one thing she's good at, but in her vision she sees him die by another's hand and on the wall written in blood is a message just for Miriam.

She's expected...
Published December 31st 2013 by Angry Robot (first published December 29th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Cormorant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cormorant

Dan Schwent
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: angry-robot, wendig, 2013
Miriam Black is lured to Florida by a rich man wanting Miriam to reveal how he dies. This turns out to be a ruse concocted by someone who wants Miriam dead, someone who knows of her gift, and the only person she can turn to is her mother. Can the two angry Black women stop the killer or will they fall prey to the horrors Miriam saw in her vision?

I got this from NetGalley. Thank you, Netgalley!

In the third installment, Miriam Black goes down to Florida and tries to stop a hellish vision. Along th
Brandon
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, ebook, favorites, fiction
He leans over toward her. She smells his breath. It smells of roadkill ripening in a wet ditch. He taps the end of the feather on the dashboard, click, click, click. "I’m just warning you Miriam Black. Forces have been aligning against you for a while. You’ve been fucking with this Jenga tower for too long, and it ain't long before it all comes clickety-clackety falling down."

Responding to a Craigslist ad she wasn't aware had been posted on her behalf, Miriam finds herself travelling to Florida
Mr. Matt
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, fantasy-urban
I like books that make you think. And Cormorant made me think - big time. Cormorant continues the story of Miriam Black. Miriam (for those of you who haven't met her) has a terrible curse. When she touches people she experiences the moment of their death. Worse yet, she knows to the minute and second when they will die. Not surprisingly, Miriam is one messed up woman. In The Cormorant Miriam grapples with her curse.

Miriam is no longer content to be an unwilling witness in the deaths of everyone
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)

If you’ve kept up with this series, then you know what Miriam went through in Mockingbird. To say that she’s physically and spiritually exhausted is an understatement, but she’s a survivor, our Miriam. When she saves the lives of two young men at the hands of a deranged homeless man, she finds a temporary home, but not paying rent is not a good thing, and her “work” as a street psychic isn’t bringing in nearly enough cash. Soon it’s eviction time, but it t
Skip
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, horror, e-books
With the forthcoming publication of the 4th Miriam Black novel Thunderbird next week, I thought it high time to read the 3rd one. Unfortunately, I did not like it as much as the first two. Miriam is lured to Florida, with the promise of a $5,000 fee for using her special power of seeing someone's death by touching them. It turns out to be a fraud, as one of her nemeses who has his own equally impressive talent is out for retribution against Miriam and all she holds dear. The story's timeline bou ...more
Paul Nelson
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-books-read
The Cormorant is a damn clever book and the most personnel of Miriam Black’s stories to date, it’s told through multiple timelines, one of my favourite story telling methods and highly effective when done right. Thankfully Chuck Wendig does it right and The Cormorant is arguably the best of the series yet.

This time Miriam goes up against someone who has powers not to dissimilar from her own curse, someone she knows all too well and they’re sending messages through the lives they take, as Miriam
Lisa
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Full Review: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2013/1...

I this may have taken seat as my favorite of Chuck Wendig’s books and put the fourth Miriam Black one on my must read list (please tell me there will be a fourth!). So, yeah, go read it. Miriam once again kicks ass.
Milo (BOK)
The Review: http://thefoundingfields.com/2014/01/....

“Chuck Wendig once again excels with another awesome look into the kickass character that is Miriam Black – delivering a page-turning thriller that is a must buy for any readers who enjoyed the first two books. Wendig has created a compelling read here, and The Cormorant might just be one of the best books in the series yet.” ~Bane of Kings, The Founding Fields

"Miriam is on the road again, having transitioned from “thief”… to “killer”.

Hired
Holly the Infinite Book Dragon
He's got the muscle tone of a crumpled jerk off tissue.

The Cormorant is the follow-up to the fantastically raucous Blackbirds & Mockingbird. Are you sensing the theme here? Yes, BIRDS! And we get to meet quite the bird in this instalment, Corie the cormorant. She is sassy & I adore her! And Jerry. The scenes with the two of them are top notch entertainment!

Miriam is on the move, making her way to Florida. She is now a killer.. but a killer that is trying to change the fate of innocent p
Jason
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, read-2014
3 Stars

I am giving this 3 stars even though it was a major let down for me. I absolutely loved the first two Miriam Black books and love her equally. My expectations as a result were quite high for The Cormorant.

Chuck Wendig is a fantastic writer and that is evident from the very first page through the closing words. This book is well paced, well structured, and a lot of fun to read. The first third of this book was top notch. I loved the scenes and the banter between Miriam and the FBI agents.
Sadie Mother Horror
"It is what it is."
This book was *almost* a four star rating as compared to Blackbirds and Mockingbird which were both BIG FAT 5 Stars but then, WHAM, BAM, thank you, Ma'am! The ending just sucker-punched me and earned itself that fifth star.
I was concerned at first. I missed my Louis. I didn't like the beginning. I was disappointed a certain character from a previous book was back. I thought maybe the plot line was becoming formulaic or predictable.
*PLOT TWIST*
Shit got real. Really, real and I
Sana
When you want your most hated character in the book to die the worst death possible and he fucking does. Amen.

This book, though. So fucked up and awesome.
Tabitha
Miriam is back in The Cormorant with as much in your face spunk as you’ve come to expect from her. She’s been through a lot since Blackbirds and I must say you’ll see here come quite ways here as well. There were some very some turns that I did not expect and frankly a few that I was somewhat disappointed in, but overall a good showing and great character growth was achieved for Miriam.

I was of course immediately sucked in with the violence, mystery,thrills and the typical awesomeness which Chuc
Essi | morrisongrl
I already miss Miriam. Sadly,the library doesn't have the next book yet and it's kinda driving me nuts. I want to know what happens next,and where the journey takes Miriam.
This one started off maybe a bit slower than the previous two. But that changed quickly. I love the pacing of these books. There really isn't a boring moment.
Also,talk about character development! Miriam is constantly learning,developing,changing all the while not losing who she is and who I've come to adore. I have such a r
LilyElement
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review to come.
Release date: December 31st, 2013
Terry Irving
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
A lot of writers try to do this. Write in a tumbling, stumbling, flood of images, sound, and sensations. Not just tell a story but make you hear it and feel it and damn near live it. Very few succeed.

Hell, a lot of daredevils try to walk on a wire but only Philip Petit managed to make it between the Twin Towers--back when there were Twin Towers.

Chuck Wendig is a Philip Petit of novelists.: one of the very few who can pull off a flow of descriptions, obscenities, emotions, and imagery without sud
3.5 stars that I'm rounding up because I love this series so much. I'm so curious to see where the series is going.
Lorelle
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing

I've decided not to do conventional reviews anymore. I could tell you what happens in this and where the last book left off, but seeing I didn't have time to read Mockingbird before this, the impossibility of telling you where the second book finished, cleared a path to this opportunity. Telling you how book 3 compared to book 1, and how it affected me. I'm selfish that way

Blackbird

When I read book 1, so here we are talking about Blackbird, I was angry with myself. I wanted to give it 5
Maraia
Although Mockingbird is still my favorite in the series so far, The Cormorant did not disappoint. Chuck Wendig plays with words like no one else, and Miriam Black is as badass as ever. Now if only the next book weren't coming out in 2017...

Favorite quotes [note - quotes contain language that some will find offensive]:
"You thought what? That because you're a nice guy my panties will just drop because you deserve to have my thighs around your ears? Fuck you, dude. Being a nice person is a thing yo
Andy
Great addition to the series where the genre that is called "Miriam Black" turns it up yet another notch, to tell you anything more would be to ruin the adventure!
Emma
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fave-books, wendig
"It's like asking John Wayne Gacy, 'what have you been up to?' And he says, 'entertaining children'" Miriam Black

Full of hilarious comebacks & sarcastic comments throughout. Miriam just does not give a fuck, if I were to be a character in a book I'd be Miriam. I read this one in two sittings these books are just so addictive! so much goes wrong for her, she's a complete mess but you can't help but love her!
I loved this one as much as the first.
I can't guess where it's going & it's poi
Kaleb
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I believe it is impossible for Chuck Wendig to write a bad book. His prose, characters, and story will drive anyone crazy after reading the first page. Not to mention the fact he still finds the time to provide his readers with the most insightful advice on writing and the industry as a whole on his blog at http://terribleminds.com/ramble/blog/ , so go check it out. You have no idea what you’re missing.

Miriam Black is back and better than ever in the third installment of the series titled The C
Kdawg91
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
First of all, you need to know something about me, I read damn near everything, it is a curse upon my house, my pocketbook, and my brain which boils like a stewed lamprey in a pot(where that came from, I haven't the damnedest idea.) Secondly, I think Chuck Wendig is a hell of a writer, The Blue Blazes was one of my favorite books of 2013. OK, here is where it gets tricky..

I don't like Miriam Black. Then you go, "Kevin, you just gave this book four stars, but you don't like the main character?, A
Adam Light
The 3rd installment in the Miriam Black series finds our psychic anti-hero on the road to Florida where, once again, her power - the ability to see when and how a person dies - reveals a little too much, and she is forced into a cat-and-mouse style race against time to save someone close to her.
Any other author might end up boring a reader to tears revisiting a similar plot as the 2 two previous books in a series, but Chuck Wendig has an unmatchable gift for highly addictive prose that is unrele
Heather L
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: part-of-a-series
I am back to lovin' Miriam. This was great. I slightly recalled the last 2 books. So a refresher course was not really necessary. What I didn't remember in the last book does not really take away from this story and how it progresses. Miriam's hard-ass ways and crass manner was crude and vile and I friggin love it. I like how this one ended and am excited to continue and find out what happens next.
Philip
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent installment in a series that has rapidly become one of my favourites. Even darker than the first two books, this is another fast paced, blood soaked thrill ride. I'll definitely be picking up the fourth book.
Alissa Patrick

I love this series. In this one, I love how we see both sides of Miriam- the crazy, batshit side but also the vulnerable, damaged side. She has moved on from being a simple thief to a killer, but playing with fate and how things are supposed to go are about to come back and bite her in the ass. Not nearly as good as the first one but I thoroughly enjoy this journey she is on.
Lisa
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
It's weird, how torn I am between having an abundance of words to describe this book and having none. But I'll give that abundance a whirl, otherwise this would be a pretty pathetic (and short) review...

HEADS UP: There will be at least mild spoilers below, so if you haven't read it or the previous books and don't want them spoiled... Wait, you haven't read them? Dude. Fix that. This will wait.

...Okay. The words.

First and foremost, holy crap. If there is an author out there these days who is bett
Reader-ramble
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes books.
Shelves: must-reads
This might be slightly spoilery. I'm not sure. Proceed with caution.

What can I tell you about a book that I waited with bated breath for? A book that I stared longingly at the Amazon page over, dreaming that I could reach through and pluck it our of the sea of ones and zeroes. What can I tell you about the third book of a series that I have come to love so much they sit snuggled up against all my other favorite writers.

I can tell you that this book was the best so far.

It is a year after Mockingb
Talk Supe
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
That was an epic death for a villain!

Full Chat Review

Miriam Black is a series I read along with Mel of Lily Element blog. We both love Chuck Wendig's world building, unique characters and story in general. It's very Stephen King-ish in a weird, creepy way with a heroine who can tell to the detail how and when you're going to die with a single touch. That ability is sure to fluck up anybody and Miriam Black is definitely one messed up anti-heroine.

THE CORMORANT is book three of the series and it
Looking for plot synopsis...! 1 2 Dec 01, 2017 07:14AM
  • The Big Reap (The Collector, #3)
  • Hang Wire
  • The Marching Dead
  • The Nervous System (Dewey Decimal #2)
  • All Is Fair (The Split Worlds, #3)
  • Women Crime Writers: Four Suspense Novels of the 1940s: Laura / The Horizontal Man / In a Lonely Place / The Blank Wall
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror 2012
  • Down the Darkest Street (Pete Fernandez Mystery #2)
  • Dead Harvest (The Collector, #1)
  • Flex ('Mancer, #1)
  • A Different Kingdom
  • Black Feathers (Black Dawn, #1)
  • Near Enemy (Spademan, #2)
  • The Dead of Winter  (Cora Oglesby #1)
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • The Prince of Lies (Night's Masque, #3)
  • iD (The Machine Dynasty, #2)
  • Seized (The Pipe Woman Chronicles #1)
Chuck Wendig is a novelist, a screenwriter, and a freelance penmonkey.
He has contributed over two million words to the roleplaying game industry, and was the developer of the popular Hunter: The Vigil game line (White Wolf Game Studios / CCP).

He, along with writing partner Lance Weiler, is a fellow of the Sundance Film Festival Screenwriter's Lab (2010). Their short film, Pandemic, will show at th
More about Chuck Wendig

Miriam Black (6 books)
  • Blackbirds (Miriam Black, #1)
  • Mockingbird (Miriam Black, #2)
  • Thunderbird (Miriam Black, #4)
  • The Raptor & the Wren (Miriam Black, #5)
  • Vultures (Miriam Black, #6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“I’m a certified bad-ass indestructible bitch. The sun tries to burn me, I’ll kick him in his fiery balls. I don’t need no stinking suntan lotion.” 5 likes
“For the record,” Miriam says, “I’m a supremely vulgar human being and even I think bearded taco is a disgusting term. My vagina is a beautiful flower, thank you very much, not a pube-shellacked burrito. Uck.” 3 likes