Start by marking “The Cormorant (Miriam Black, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Cormorant (Miriam Black, #3)

The Cormorant

(Miriam Black #3)

Miriam is on the road again, having transitioned from "thief" to "killer".

Hired by a wealthy businessman, she heads down to Florida to practice the one thing she's good at, but in her vision she sees him die by another's hand and on the wall written in blood is a message just for Miriam.

She's expected...
Published December 31st 2013 by Angry Robot (first published December 29th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Cormorant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cormorant

Start your review of The Cormorant (Miriam Black, #3)
Dan Schwent
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: angry-robot, 2013, wendig
Miriam Black is lured to Florida by a rich man wanting Miriam to reveal how he dies. This turns out to be a ruse concocted by someone who wants Miriam dead, someone who knows of her gift, and the only person she can turn to is her mother. Can the two angry Black women stop the killer or will they fall prey to the horrors Miriam saw in her vision?

I got this from NetGalley. Thank you, Netgalley!

In the third installment, Miriam Black goes down to Florida and tries to stop a hellish vision. Along th
Bradley
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dark and gritty as ever, I have to admit that I also had a slight bit of an issue with the first half or so of the read. It jumped all over the place between the present and the past and while it all eventually became obvious why it might have been necessary, it was still slightly off-putting. There were slightly less raunchy/funny descriptive elements than before, too, but that's a grab bag of happy oddities and discoveries that not everyone might enjoy. In other words, I loved them but not eve ...more
Brandon
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, 2014, favorites, fiction
He leans over toward her. She smells his breath. It smells of roadkill ripening in a wet ditch. He taps the end of the feather on the dashboard, click, click, click. "I’m just warning you Miriam Black. Forces have been aligning against you for a while. You’ve been fucking with this Jenga tower for too long, and it ain't long before it all comes clickety-clackety falling down."

Responding to a Craigslist ad she wasn't aware had been posted on her behalf, Miriam finds herself travelling to Florida
Holly (The Grimdragon)
He's got the muscle tone of a crumpled jerk off tissue.

The Cormorant is the follow-up to the fantastically raucous Blackbirds & Mockingbird. Are you sensing the theme here? Yes, BIRDS! And we get to meet quite the bird in this instalment, Corie the cormorant. She is sassy & I adore her! And Jerry. The scenes with the two of them are top notch entertainment!

Miriam is on the move, making her way to Florida. She is now a killer.. but a killer that is trying to change the fate of innocent people wh
Mr. Matt
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, fantasy-urban
I like books that make you think. And Cormorant made me think - big time. Cormorant continues the story of Miriam Black. Miriam (for those of you who haven't met her) has a terrible curse. When she touches people she experiences the moment of their death. Worse yet, she knows to the minute and second when they will die. Not surprisingly, Miriam is one messed up woman. In The Cormorant Miriam grapples with her curse.

Miriam is no longer content to be an unwilling witness in the deaths of everyone
Essi🦄
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I already miss Miriam. Sadly,the library doesn't have the next book yet and it's kinda driving me nuts. I want to know what happens next,and where the journey takes Miriam.
This one started off maybe a bit slower than the previous two. But that changed quickly. I love the pacing of these books. There really isn't a boring moment.
Also,talk about character development! Miriam is constantly learning,developing,changing all the while not losing who she is and who I've come to adore. I have such a r
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)

If you’ve kept up with this series, then you know what Miriam went through in Mockingbird. To say that she’s physically and spiritually exhausted is an understatement, but she’s a survivor, our Miriam. When she saves the lives of two young men at the hands of a deranged homeless man, she finds a temporary home, but not paying rent is not a good thing, and her “work” as a street psychic isn’t bringing in nearly enough cash. Soon it’s eviction time, but it t
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
"It is what it is."
This book was *almost* a four star rating as compared to Blackbirds and Mockingbird which were both BIG FAT 5 Stars but then, WHAM, BAM, thank you, Ma'am! The ending just sucker-punched me and earned itself that fifth star.
I was concerned at first. I missed my Louis. I didn't like the beginning. I was disappointed a certain character from a previous book was back. I thought maybe the plot line was becoming formulaic or predictable.
*PLOT TWIST*
Shit got real. Really, real and I
Emma C.
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, wendig
"It's like asking John Wayne Gacy, 'what have you been up to?' And he says, 'entertaining children'" Miriam Black

Full of hilarious comebacks & sarcastic comments throughout. Miriam just does not give a fuck, if I were to be a character in a book I'd be Miriam. I read this one in two sittings these books are just so addictive! so much goes wrong for her, she's a complete mess but you can't help but love her!
I loved this one as much as the first.
I can't guess where it's going & it's pointless t
Skip
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, horror, fantasy
With the forthcoming publication of the 4th Miriam Black novel Thunderbird next week, I thought it high time to read the 3rd one. Unfortunately, I did not like it as much as the first two. Miriam is lured to Florida, with the promise of a $5,000 fee for using her special power of seeing someone's death by touching them. It turns out to be a fraud, as one of her nemeses who has his own equally impressive talent is out for retribution against Miriam and all she holds dear. The story's timeline bou ...more
Paul Nelson
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-books-read
The Cormorant is a damn clever book and the most personnel of Miriam Black’s stories to date, it’s told through multiple timelines, one of my favourite story telling methods and highly effective when done right. Thankfully Chuck Wendig does it right and The Cormorant is arguably the best of the series yet.

This time Miriam goes up against someone who has powers not to dissimilar from her own curse, someone she knows all too well and they’re sending messages through the lives they take, as Miriam
Lisa
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Full Review: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2013/1...

I this may have taken seat as my favorite of Chuck Wendig’s books and put the fourth Miriam Black one on my must read list (please tell me there will be a fourth!). So, yeah, go read it. Miriam once again kicks ass.
Emma
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent series. I really feel for Miriam. What a great anti-hero!
Milo
The Review: http://thefoundingfields.com/2014/01/....

“Chuck Wendig once again excels with another awesome look into the kickass character that is Miriam Black – delivering a page-turning thriller that is a must buy for any readers who enjoyed the first two books. Wendig has created a compelling read here, and The Cormorant might just be one of the best books in the series yet.” ~Bane of Kings, The Founding Fields

"Miriam is on the road again, having transitioned from “thief”… to “killer”.

Hir
Josh
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The foul speaking, butt kicking heroine, Miriam Black, cursed with the ability to peel back the curtain of the future to witness the death of anyone she has physical skin-to-skin contact with, returns for a third and very gratifying installment in The Cormorant.

After a violent encounter by which she tries to save a man from a street kid’s gun, Miriam’s hired by a mystery man from an ad on Craigslist. Miriam is naturally guarded and is skeptical of the man’s advert – 5K to know how he dies – but
Jason
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014, e-books
3 Stars

I am giving this 3 stars even though it was a major let down for me. I absolutely loved the first two Miriam Black books and love her equally. My expectations as a result were quite high for The Cormorant.

Chuck Wendig is a fantastic writer and that is evident from the very first page through the closing words. This book is well paced, well structured, and a lot of fun to read. The first third of this book was top notch. I loved the scenes and the banter between Miriam and the FBI agents.
Sana
When you want your most hated character in the book to die the worst death possible and he fucking does. Amen.

This book, though. So fucked up and awesome.
Ashley Daviau
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are like a bag of candy, I open it and POOF, before I know it the bag is empty and I’m left satisfied yet regretful that I didn’t savour it. But there is no savouring these books, they just BEG to be devoured. This time around the stakes are even higher because its personal and Miriam will do anything to save those she loves. It’s kind of crazy when you look from the first book to this one, Miriam has grown so much as a person and it’s kind of beautiful to see. She’s still badass and ...more
LilyElement
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review to come.
Release date: December 31st, 2013
Terry Irving
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
A lot of writers try to do this. Write in a tumbling, stumbling, flood of images, sound, and sensations. Not just tell a story but make you hear it and feel it and damn near live it. Very few succeed.

Hell, a lot of daredevils try to walk on a wire but only Philip Petit managed to make it between the Twin Towers--back when there were Twin Towers.

Chuck Wendig is a Philip Petit of novelists.: one of the very few who can pull off a flow of descriptions, obscenities, emotions, and imagery without sud
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
3.5 stars that I'm rounding up because I love this series so much. I'm so curious to see where the series is going.
Lorelle
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing

I've decided not to do conventional reviews anymore. I could tell you what happens in this and where the last book left off, but seeing I didn't have time to read Mockingbird before this, the impossibility of telling you where the second book finished, cleared a path to this opportunity. Telling you how book 3 compared to book 1, and how it affected me. I'm selfish that way

Blackbird

When I read book 1, so here we are talking about Blackbird, I was angry with myself. I wanted to give it 5
Maraia
Although Mockingbird is still my favorite in the series so far, The Cormorant did not disappoint. Chuck Wendig plays with words like no one else, and Miriam Black is as badass as ever. Now if only the next book weren't coming out in 2017...

Favorite quotes [note - quotes contain language that some will find offensive]:
"You thought what? That because you're a nice guy my panties will just drop because you deserve to have my thighs around your ears? Fuck you, dude. Being a nice person is a thing yo
Philip
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent installment in a series that has rapidly become one of my favourites. Even darker than the first two books, this is another fast paced, blood soaked thrill ride. I'll definitely be picking up the fourth book.
Andy
Great addition to the series where the genre that is called "Miriam Black" turns it up yet another notch, to tell you anything more would be to ruin the adventure!
Baba
Miriam Black hits us up again, but this time we're in Florida, and she may have met her match! You know all that life-saving that Miriam did in Blackbirds and Mockingbird that required life-taking, well it looks like forces are being unbalanced, and a need for balance is required. Oops, sounds like bad news for Miriam. Chuck Wendig keeps the reader glued to their seats with a non-linear tale that starts with Miriam captured by an unlikely looking duo, to whom she recounts what she's been up to o ...more
Mili
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-the-book
Fantastic continuation of the series. It gets darker by the book, and the series starts dark enough! I love that the supernatural aspect gets more attention. And messy things just keep on heaping up, Miriam does not hold back!
Kaleb
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I believe it is impossible for Chuck Wendig to write a bad book. His prose, characters, and story will drive anyone crazy after reading the first page. Not to mention the fact he still finds the time to provide his readers with the most insightful advice on writing and the industry as a whole on his blog at http://terribleminds.com/ramble/blog/ , so go check it out. You have no idea what you’re missing.

Miriam Black is back and better than ever in the third installment of the series titled The C
Kdawg91
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
First of all, you need to know something about me, I read damn near everything, it is a curse upon my house, my pocketbook, and my brain which boils like a stewed lamprey in a pot(where that came from, I haven't the damnedest idea.) Secondly, I think Chuck Wendig is a hell of a writer, The Blue Blazes was one of my favorite books of 2013. OK, here is where it gets tricky..

I don't like Miriam Black. Then you go, "Kevin, you just gave this book four stars, but you don't like the main character?, A
Adam Light
The 3rd installment in the Miriam Black series finds our psychic anti-hero on the road to Florida where, once again, her power - the ability to see when and how a person dies - reveals a little too much, and she is forced into a cat-and-mouse style race against time to save someone close to her.
Any other author might end up boring a reader to tears revisiting a similar plot as the 2 two previous books in a series, but Chuck Wendig has an unmatchable gift for highly addictive prose that is unrele
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Looking for plot synopsis...! 1 2 Dec 01, 2017 07:14AM

• Seven Blades in Black (The Grave of Empires, #1)
  • Eden
  • The Book of Koli (Rampart Trilogy, #1)
  • Wake of Vultures (The Shadow, #1)
  • Afterland
  • A Man of Shadows (John Nyquist, #1)
  • The Ridealong: A Suspense Thriller
  • Death & Honey
  • Providence
  • Near Dark (Scot Harvath, #19)
  • Goldilocks
  • Empire Ascendant (Worldbreaker Saga, #2)
  • Survivor Song
  • Grave Writer
  • The Princess Beard (The Tales of Pell, #3)
  • The Wishbones
  • Three Slices
  • Dead Aim
Chuck Wendig is a novelist, a screenwriter, and a freelance penmonkey.
He has contributed over two million words to the roleplaying game industry, and was the developer of the popular Hunter: The Vigil game line (White Wolf Game Studios / CCP).

He, along with writing partner Lance Weiler, is a fellow of the Sundance Film Festival Screenwriter's Lab (2010). Their short film, Pandemic, will show at th

Miriam Black (6 books)
  • Blackbirds (Miriam Black, #1)
  • Mockingbird (Miriam Black, #2)
  • Thunderbird (Miriam Black, #4)
  • The Raptor & the Wren (Miriam Black, #5)
  • Vultures (Miriam Black, #6)

News & Interviews

“I’m a certified bad-ass indestructible bitch. The sun tries to burn me, I’ll kick him in his fiery balls. I don’t need no stinking suntan lotion.” 7 likes
“For the record,” Miriam says, “I’m a supremely vulgar human being and even I think bearded taco is a disgusting term. My vagina is a beautiful flower, thank you very much, not a pube-shellacked burrito. Uck.” 3 likes