Start by marking “Greenback Dollar: The Incredible Rise of the Kingston Trio” as Want to Read:
Greenback Dollar: The Incredible Rise of the Kingston Trio

Greenback Dollar: The Incredible Rise of the Kingston Trio

How big an act was the Kingston Trio? Big enough that the their first 19 albums not only reached Billboard's Top 100, but 14 of them entered the top 10, with five albums alone hitting the no. 1 spot! At the height of their popularity, the Kingston Trio was arguably the most popular vocal group in the world, having single-handedly ushered in the folk music boom of the late ...more
Published December 13th 2012 by Scarecrow Press (first published November 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Greenback Dollar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greenback Dollar

Don Ruiz
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered John Stewart before I knew he had been a member of the Kingston Trio. This book caught me up nicely on a band that's very interesting in its own right: among the most popular in the world until the Beatles changed everything. Written lovingly, but not blindly.
Robyn Marcs
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed gaining invaluable insight from one of my favorite groups, but I found myself quickly losing patience every time the author included one of his long lists. He loves listing things, long lists that are unnecessary and distracting from the content. Like artists who recorded at a certain place or songs on a given album. That made me give it 4 stars instead of 5.
Having said that, I loved learning about The Kingston Trio, and that they weren’t all as innocent as I thought they were!
Dave
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, simply because there's so little information about this group, and I loved listening to them as a kid (my older brother had their records). No, it isn't totally unbiased. The author is obviously a fan and admits to friendships with some members of the Trio. But he makes a good effort to present both sides of the internal conflicts, including the causes of the split of the original Trio.

Like Don Ruiz, I became a big fan of John Stewart's solo music before I realized th
Dan Lalande

Detailed valentine to The Kingston Trio, three clean-cut, semi-bad boys from San Diego and Hawaii whose inspired harmonies and two-chord catalogue accidentally spawned the folk boom of the '60's. The book thoroughly investigates both versions of the Trio: the 1958-61 juggernaut and the 1962-67 follow-up. As a whole, the Trio has been short-changed historically - thanks to the politicization of their audience, who then turned on them for lack of depth - but as this book rightfully points out, if
Phair
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need some time to digest this book. The KT were such a big part of my teen years (my first big obsession) that I have very mixed feelings after reading this. Hope to edit this review at a later date.
Ted
Aug 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: music
Not very good. Couldn't finish it..
Marie