Start by marking “Professional Capital: Transforming Teaching in Every School” as Want to Read:
Professional Capital: Transforming Teaching in Every School

Professional Capital: Transforming Teaching in Every School

The future of learning depends absolutely on the future of teaching. In this latest and most important collaboration, Andy Hargreaves and Michael Fullan show how the quality of teaching is captured in a compelling new idea: the professional capital of every teacher working together in every school. Speaking out against policies that result in a teaching force that is inexperience ...more
Published March 9th 2012 by Teachers College Press

To ask other readers questions about Professional Capital, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Professional Capital

Start your review of Professional Capital: Transforming Teaching in Every School
Michelle
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was really keen to read this as Fullan and Hargreaves featured prominently in my own Masters work about 'Educational Change'. I was not disappointed. Easy to read and yet still thought provoking in its content. I loved their anecdotes and their collaborative writer's voice is engaging and charismatic. They inspire change and provide a road map for action. What more could you ask?
MisterHobgoblin
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Professional Capital is a highly readable text that makes the case for schools focusing on creating a dynamic learning culture for their own staff. The central thesis is that successful teachers build professional capital, and this is a function of human capital, social capital and decisional capital. In other words, great teachers have great subject knowledge and pedagogical skills, actively collaborate with colleagues to raise both their own professional practice and practice across the school ...more
Mary Norell Hedenstrom
Favorite quote about politician's and the public's view of teachers:

Teachers were a big part of our lives, and many made a big impression on us - sometimes in a good way, but not always. These memories and feelings profoundly influence people's views about teaching today and what they want from it - to benefit their own children and to justify the taxes they pay for the children of other people...They also have an impact on those in high office who often design policies that try to r
Helena
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a book within the existing framework of the school systems, misters Alan and Michael do push against the edges. I wish they had stepped outside that system as well, but who knows, perhaps they will in the future?

Brenda
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another part of the action plan that we need to put into place at NHS. Teachers we need to join together and lead from the side and/or behind to rebuild a professional, innovative staff culture. Much to think about and much inspiration to draw upon.
Jeremy Ang
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for any educator, from the classroom teacher to national policy makers.
Darian Jones
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
This group of authors seems to continue to recycle their own works with simple nuances in name changes. It is one thing to stand on the balcony and look into the work and an entirely different thing to have done the work any time recently. This edition or re-edit was frustrating in content and discussion in that they gloss over the root issues and the root challenges as if their new nomenclature and focus on same will move the needle around student achievement and fixing our schools. They talk a ...more
Becca
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
I heard one of the authors, Andy Hargreaves, speak last year, and he was insightful, witty, and fascinating - one of the best speakers I have ever heard on education. His book is similarly satisfying. Having been in the world of education for 8 years years now, and in some of the most dysfunctional school around, I've seen the best of intentions play out in idiotic, destructive, and sad ways. This book takes a refreshing global perspective on education - he's been researching what works in educa ...more
Sean Kottke
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional, 2013
An excellent work on change leadership and the peculiar organizational dynamics of schools, Professional Capital provides a concise critique of contemporary education reform efforts that follow a business model and proposes a three-way lens for understanding what drives excellence in teaching. The combination of human capital, social capital and decisional capital is not simple to nurture, and no single silver bullet will get any school there ... except for one: trust. I've been thinking that the essen ...more
Joe
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching
I thought this book started very slowly but I'm glad I stuck with it. The authors make a convincing argument for investing not just in individual teachers (e.g., the bright kids who go into TFA) but in teaching as a profession. They show how we need to build social networks that will support teachers as they move from executing current best practices to innovating next practices.

As the director of a university writing program, this book reminds me that my job is to help teachers develop their own v
Chris Wejr
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an important read for educators looking to create real change that is driven by... educators. Policy makers are showing us over and over again that the business capital model of education reform does not work. Building up professional capital by creating the conditions for educators to grow together is the way to real educational change.

I really enjoyed the concepts, ideas, and strategies discussed in the book. I struggled with some of the examples used by the authors as I ha
Bea Elwood
Oct 04, 2013 rated it liked it
I find it hard to review this book because it's hard to pinpoint what was so taxing about it to read. So much in here I totally agree with and when I decided to become a teacher it was in large part because I felt there was a disconnect between what "we" knew and how we were teaching. I loved that they referenced Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hours essay (I talk about it all the time too) and I agree with the need to take action now, to stop talking and do. Maybe as a first year teacher I just found ...more
Tara Brabazon
Jul 01, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a solid book about the potential and challenges of teaching. While the word 'capital' is used in a cliched form throughout many discourses and disciplines, there is some currency to 'professional capital.'

Why do teachers succeed? Why do teachers fail? The answers to those questions are not often predictable or clearly revealed in the research literature. But by understanding the motivations and aspirations of teachers, then supportive environments and contexts can be construc
Dawn
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gradschool
One of the most inspiring books I have read about the power of teacher professional development and ground-up teacher movements to impact education in tremendous ways (as opposed to top-down initiatives that disempower teachers). Hargreaves and Fullan do an excellent job of providing international examples and it was a fascinating read. The case study of Ontario is particularly memorable and inspiring. As a teacher leader, this is one of the most important large-scale books I have read.
Jessica
I'm kind of torn on whether to give this 3 or 4 stars. It's probably 3.5 in reality. I really wanted to like this book, but it just didn't do too much for me. I think the important pieces could really be communicated in the course of a long article. It felt like a lot of the book was filler just to have enough material to make a book. Also, there were more exclamation points in this book than anything else I've ever read, for reals.
Spacek Kim
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The authors present a brief historical perspective on education and professionalism. They lead the reader to the evidence that portrays a strengthening of the profession. At the end of the book they provide action steps. Education reform cannot be sustained by young in experienced teachers. Teachers of all ages must be involved.
Nancy
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This follow up to their earlier book is exactly what we need in education. We need to make the change not those outside of education. With the support, professional development and collaboration time our teachers can be incredible. Now to figure out how to do this together . . .
Phoebe
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This would be a great book for teachers and school administrators to read within a professional learning community. Very good insights into how we can make our schools all they can be for our children.
Sue
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely the best book about education that I have read in years! This book even changed the direction of my dissertation after I read it. Hargreaves and Fullan recently won the Grawemeyer Award in Education for this book and their research. A must-read for all leaders in education!
Julie Aquilina
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
Fascinating read. I highlighted way too much - oops. Human, social, decisional capital equals professional capital: the sweet spot of maximizing learning in our schools (key message of book). Still rolling this around in my brain a lot lately and what it actually looks and feels like in reality.
Christy Valyou
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is such an inspirational book and a must-read for any educator or leader. Full of many powerful ideas to help school systems transform teaching and learning in lasting ways.
Jianna Taylor
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Eye-opening and inspiring--a must-read for those who hope to transform education!
Karen James
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good; and humanizes the transformation process.
Joanne Kelleher
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
As far as professional books go, I enjoyed this one. I would recommend it. It's a quick read.
Christopher Lehman
Remarkably necessary. A read for every educator, leader, policy maker and what the right moves for educational growth really are. Brilliant.
Thalia
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Valuable read. Highly recommended.
Steve Moore
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended, especially if you just read Finnish Lessons by Pasi Sahlberg.
Al
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This has important and useful things to say.
Colette
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished the first reading assignment of my masters - which involved rereading this book.

• The Art of Coaching Teams: Building Resilient Communities that Transform Schools
  • What School Could Be: Insights and Inspiration from Teachers across America
  • Internment
  • Leading Well
  • Home of the Brave
  • Before Words: Wordless Picture Books and the Development of Reading in Young Children
  • Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide from the Authors of Craft Lessons