Start by marking “The Psychology of the Child” as Want to Read:
The Psychology of the Child

The Psychology of the Child

The definite account of psychologist Jean Piaget's work
Jean Piaget's influence on psychology has been profound. His pathbreaking investigations and theories of cognitive development have set child psychology moving in entirely new directions. His bold speculations have provided the inspiration for the work of others. His studies have been the subject of many books and
Published October 18th 1972 by Basic Books (first published 1950)

Start your review of The Psychology of the Child
CherryB
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hard going, especially when reading it while raising a couple of high energy children. Best used as a reference book. It is dense and the language somewhat archaic, but I did gain some very useful insights into the child's cognitive development through persevering through this work. An example, the development of abstract concepts...where do dreams come from? Very young children might say "my pillow" or similar external source. What are thoughts? Dr Piaget traces the child's responses to this ...more
Owlseyes inside Notre Dame, it's so strange a 15-hour blaze and...30-minutes wait to call the firemen...and

By today's standards, this is an old book on cognitive development, until adolescence. Basically it describes the 4 stages of cognitive development, postulated and researched by Jean Piaget and collaborator Barbel Inhelder.

A more advanced view would include a post-formal stage. We know that, however, the sort of "experimentation" Piaget took recourse to, had some criticism, as well as the logical or mathematical theory under which he formalised this sequence of stages.

To me, he was a kind
Lars Guthrie
May 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
After reading Margaret Donaldson's wonderful 'Children's Minds,' I wanted more immersion in the source material covered second hand in my teaching credential program. Piaget was a god, but we never read him. Now, after struggling through this summary of his work produced for a broader audience, I can tell you Piaget is very, very challenging to read, even in 'dumbed-down' form. In the future, I might use excerpts from this as an example of dense prose requiring full engagement when I tell ...more
Annie
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Definitely more academic than practical use-oriented, so keep that in mind. It is a short lil book though, and not horrifically dense as academic things go.

I liked this because I love psych (one of my undergrad minors), and because I'm working with kids right now. It's fun to read Piaget's classic theories on how their methods and pathways of thought are foundations upon which specific, future methods of thought will build.

Here's a quote on symbolic play in young children, and about how it
Martha
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the seminal book on modern childhood education and development. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is entering or considering to enter into the field of education. I still have my well-worn, original copy with all my penciled commentary in the margins.
Jesus (Ego)
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esencial. Se ha escrito mucho después y hay otras fuentes de las que poder extraer buenos resúmenes, ampliaciones y reflexiones sobre la teoría de Piaget pero de vez en cuando acudir a los orígenes no está mal.
Casey
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Piaget, the famous Swiss developmental psychologist and philosopher, and his ideas as presented in The Psychology of the Child are worth reading if you have any interest in child psychology, developmental or educational theory. The book is fairly technical and presents formalized results in a case study-like language.

His findings in this book, and many of his other works, conclude (I am grossly simplifying here) that children don’t think like adults and it takes a long process to get to
Sarah Milne
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Piaget was a genius, for sure. Thank goodness for a condensed volume of his theories, because I doubt I will ever get through his other stuff. This is an incredibly dense little volume that requires a great deal of concentration to follow (and even then certain parts eluded me entirely - like every time the subject was mathematical concepts). Beyond commenting on the writing itself I can only say there is a reason Piaget's work (as well as the man himself) is venerated.
Abner Huertas
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The development of our being starts since we were a child, this means that every experience counts, one question might be How can we help a child to have a correct development?

In this book, Piaget teaches the different stages of the psychology development of a person, from birth to adolescence, a well understanding of this we'll give us the tools to raise our kids in a better way.
Nádia Faria
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
Very dull. I know Jean Piaget is a master of child psychology, but this book was too theoretical and difficult to read since its writing style was so archaic. It might work as an academic book, but I was looking for something more practical for my line of work and this did not help very much.
AC
A dry, highly technical and formalized schematic primer of Piaget's attack on behaviorism and associationism, etc. Not the general survey I was looking for...
Funda Guzer
Jun 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cok teorik cok. Profesyonel ugrasmiyorsaniz konuyla ilgili yeniden dusunun kitabi okumak icin.
Juanita
Es muy interesante todo lo que se habla en el libro pero siento que fue un poco confuso y tedioso, esperaba que fuera más informativo y fácil de comprender
Jj Ludman
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Probably better to read someone else's synopsis of his work, really. He's kind of a d-bag.
Ahmed
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب رائع حقا ولكن كما تعودنا من العملاق جين بياجيت قمة في الصعوبة و الدقة العلمية....يطفوا على اسلوبه الاستخدام الغزير للمصطلحات العلمية مع الاحتفاظ بالتفاصيل الدقيقة للعمليات العلمية...
كتاب صعب جدا علميا ولغويا...والترجمة الدنماركية لم تساعد في تبسيط هذا الجانب علي...بل العكس لان ليس لدي المام مقبول بالمصطلحات النفسية والمنطقية في هذه اللغة....ولكن مع هذا استطعت ان اهضم محتوى الكتاب واخرج بفهم ابهرني وشوقني على الاستمرار في الغوص في عالم بياجيت الساحر...
يناقش بياجيت التطور المعرفي, العقلي
Denis Mačor
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Materiál, ktorý v mojom prípade nebol študijný, mi dokázal ozrejmiť niektoré záležitosti ohľadom môjho detstva. Žiadna psychoanalýza, ani Freud a jeho nadsvetové úvahy, ani Jung. Samozrejme, netvrdím že ich Piaget nezmienil, avšak svojou vlastnou pracovitosťou a precíznosťou dokázal vypracovať jedinečné dielo, ktoré o dieťati hovorí pragmaticky.

Vychádza zo skúsenosti rovnako, ako aj jeho čitatelia. Tí si milo dokážu pripomenúť časy minulé a presvedčiť sa o tom, že do istej miery aj vždy
Angel Serrano
Este libro fue la base de la asignatura de Psicología Infantil en el primer curso de Magisterio. El argumento fundamental es que la mente de un niño se va formando poco a poco y sufre muchos cambios hasta que se convierte en adulto. En vez de buscar patología se centra en la normalidad.
Dahmani Hicham
it is very interesting to learn about child's psychology since all will become ine day a dad or a mam . so it ie very important to learn this book to benefit from all long the life.
Colin Doran
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a part of required reading at the College of Education. Like so many.of those books I never read it in entirety(1974_78).
Achab_
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: phd, essai
really interesting summary of Piaget's works on the child development.
not enough material about language though.. :/
Paras Suri
Robert Kaufman
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
L
Amberphlame
Aug 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
a bit heavy to read and technical can get boring if you are not interested in profound study of the child's intellect.
Sushant

• The Age of Reason
  • Discipline: The Brazelton Way
  • The I Ching or Book of Changes
  • Your Memory: How It Works and How to Improve It
Jean Piaget (1896 - 1980) was a Swiss philosopher, natural scientist and developmental theorist, well known for his work studying children, his theory of cognitive development, and his epistemological view called "genetic epistemology." In 1955, he created the International Centre for Genetic Epistemology in Geneva and directed it until his death in 1980. According to Ernst von Glasersfeld, Jean ...more