Start by marking “A Kiss Means I Love You” as Want to Read:
A Kiss Means I Love You

A Kiss Means I Love You

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  254 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
"A kiss means I love you, a wave means hello, a smile means I'm happy, a tug means, let's go!" Featuring engaging photographs of real children and sweet rhyming text, this fun read-aloud teaches little ones about nonverbal communication
Published September 1st 2012 by Albert Whitman Company

To ask other readers questions about A Kiss Means I Love You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Kiss Means I Love You

Sylvester
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
5* photos
5* concept/rhyme

Lovely book. Teaches the meaning behind the actions in a sweet way. Squirt likes to look at the kids and their expressions.
Amanda
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read this for storytime today.
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hollis LOVES this book. We literally read it eight times in a row this morning, and I think she would have kept going. Nice choice, 2x2 committee.
Casandria
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sweet collection of photographs about what facial expressions and actions mean. Perfect for an "all about me" toddler storytime!
Chelsea Kirkland
Rhyming, about what different facial expressions mean. Would be good for younger ones, get to gesture along, instruct caregivers to also act along with the book.
Nicole
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The genre of this book is nonfiction. The age group for this book is 4-8. This book is about teaching young children about expression and communication between one another. I rated thisbook five stars because this is a great book for children to read to understand facial expressions theymake and the people around them. The plot of this story is just teaching children about waving to people saying hello, giving hugs out to people just all around helpful book to children about the things people to ...more
Sierra Brewer
This book covers basic gestures that children and people see on a day to day basis. It covers, high fives, hugs, kisses, reaching, and yawning.

I liked this book because I could really teach young, young children what gestures mean or allow them to recognize the gestures they have seen before outside of reading the book. The book also included pictures of different (real life) children making the gestures of all different races, showing equality, which I enjoyed as well. Over all a great, learni
Barbara
Perfect for reading aloud early in the morning or right before bedtime, this book is filled with rhyming lines and excellent photographs of children and their family members taken up close. Every page shows beautiful children with expressive faces, and while they aren't always smiling, each one seems to know he/she is loved. What better gift can we give to a child? Children will enjoy having this one read to them and pointing to their favorite pages. I smiled all day after reading this one.
Jocelyn
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: t-l-544
Genre: informational book
Copyright:2012

This is a book which tells the representations of different means when people have different actions, such as "a smile means I'm happy" or "a hug means I care". Each sentence accompanies with a real picture which shows the action. It is a very good book for teaching children about the relationships between human actions and the meanings behind the actions. There is no difficult content, just simply introduces the actions and meanings.
Cara
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nkyclear, storytime
Young readers will appreciate the large, engaging photographs of babies and toddlers from all ethnicities in this board book that is perfect for small hands. Each spread has two photographs and two actions, such as a kiss or a laugh, and the accompanying emotions that go along with the actions. The same format is repeated throughout the text, and the book starts and ends with a kiss. Children ages 0-3 can share this book with a family member or in a group setting to explore emotions.
Sara
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: natalies-books
Definitely a favorite! My daughter loves to tell me if the people are happy or sad or sleepy or mad. She especially likes the boy who says "Shh, that's a little too loud" and we say that at home when my daughter gets noisy (she does not have a small voice). I love that there are photographs of real people instead of drawings - I think that helps make the expressions more understandable for little ones.
Saba N  Taylor
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a really fun way to engage children in learning how to understand all kinds of communication. Since communication is not limited to speaking, it teaches children various ways they can express their feelings and wishes as well as understand what others want or feel by looking and listening then interpreting those actions, expressions and sounds. The use of photography makes it wonderful and realistic.
Camille
This is the cutest board book I've seen in a while. I think if I ever get the opportunity to do a preschooler storytime or circle time again, I would use this book to close it out!
Illustrated with nice photos of children and their caregivers, this books is about common gestures and facial expressions.
Jeanne Mcpeak
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Written in catchy rhyme, this adorable book introduces young readers to emotions and how we use facial expressions to show how we are feeling. Beautiful, up close photographs of real children showing facial expressions such as a smile, a kiss, a frown, a pout, etc... add to the appeal of this story.
Stephanie Martin
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Picture Book 28: This book was just too cute! I think that children are so precious (most of the time at least) and this book really showed how precious they are. The pictures of each child were so cute and adorable. Also, this book really teaches children about emotions and how different ones mean different things.
Lara
Simple, sweet non-fiction book for children about non-verbal communication, with nice photo illustrations and rhyming text. It's not something that really stood out to me as an adult, but I can see it being a nice, quiet book to read to very young children especially.
Karen
Sep 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I am not a big fan of photo picture books. Something about them almost always seems "off" or a bit creepy to me. And, although the text was OK, and the photos weren't bad, this book did not change my mind.
Tracy
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is excellant. It has pictures of real kids, and it shows some simple forms of communication. The photographs are great. This would be good for babies and preschoolers. Especially for kids who like to see real people in their books.
Nancy Jo Lambert
This one is just ok. I won't read this one aloud. The pictures and the text are very simple and I did't particularly enjoy this one. Might be a good recommend to teachers working with kids with special needs though.
Josie B.
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime, one-on-one, 3s, 2s, 1s
The full page photos illustrate simple and more complex emotions and can be used to introduce young children to the vocabulary for talking about feelings. I have used it with toddlers in storytime, reading 4-5 pages at a time. It can also be used with preschoolers and kindergarten classes.
Lindsay
emotions - A GREAT book about emotions. It's rare to find one with photographs. Could be useful for families with kids on the spectrum.
Yoo Kyung Sung
Great concept book in verbal and nonverbal expressions. Different background children are attraction in this book.
Vicki
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lovely and sharp photographs for the illustrations of this sweet picture book. Interactive text gets the listeners involved in the story.
Bethe
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rhyming text and bright photos demonstrate different emotions and feelings in all sorts of children's faces. Great for character traits lessons or character counts type lessons.
Haley Baker
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Age range: 1-5

ECRR:
Print awareness: words match illustration in a way that helps show what they are
Vocabulary: new words for emotions
Kelsey
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Age: Baby-Toddler
Art: Photography

Melodic read filled with obvious emotions and actions with little text.
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great photos
Love
Communication
Melanie
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
My 1-year-old LOVES this book. Cute photos, great opportunity to teach (and practice) expressions.
Beverly
Jan 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
nice photos of really cute kids
Mariah
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I think it is a funny and nice and cool book to read to people
  • All Kinds of Kisses
  • Fire! Fuego! Brave Bomberos
  • Stretch
  • It's a Tiger!
  • Two Little Monkeys
  • Who Put the Cookies in the Cookie Jar?
  • One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters
  • Nose to Toes, You Are Yummy!
  • The Obstinate Pen
I am a children’s author who writes diverse, interactive picture books that teach babies and young children about nonverbal communication, manners, families, and love.

I AM A BABY has just been released! Along with SHOW ME HAPPY and A KISS MEANS I LOVE YOU (both now available as board and picture books), the companion books feature beautiful photographs of real children.

All three books work well in
More about Kathryn Madeline Allen...