Start by marking “Getting Past What You'll Never Get Over: Help for Dealing with Life's Hurts” as Want to Read:
Getting Past What You'll Never Get Over: Help for Dealing with Life's Hurts

Getting Past What You'll Never Get Over: Help for Dealing with Life's Hurts

When hard times strike, we look forward with longing to the day when we will "get over" the event and have closure. This is a difficult--often impossible--road to travel. There are some things in life that we must learn to live with because they will never truly go away for good. Despite that truth, there is life--rewarding and abundant life--after heartache and pain.

John
Published October 1st 2012 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Getting Past What You'll Never Get Over, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Past What You'll Never Get Over

Start your review of Getting Past What You'll Never Get Over: Help for Dealing with Life's Hurts
Rose Bud
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was a disappointment. It doesn't seem inspired by the Holy Spirit at all. In fact He's never really mentioned at all. This seems to be an effort the author made in his own strength using psychiatric exercises to control anger and things like that. Grace is mentioned but not quite enough in my opinion. Getting past things we'll never get over takes a lot more than changing our thinking. We can't successfully change our thinking anyways. The Holy Spirit must renew our minds and transform ...more
Kimberly
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. He is so real and authentic the way he discusses the feelings that come from bad life experiences. I always felt peace inside after reading from this book. I like how he references both the Bible and secular sources. The only thing I wish he had included was a bit more detail on the experience that led him to write this book, but it is understandable why he may have chosen not to. If you have experienced something that feels insurmountable, I recommend this book.
Faith
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a good light read. I think I was expecting it to be more scripturally based, and it is not. The author relates by his own experiences, heartaches, and truths. And some of those things, are hard to get over.
Rita
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It really helped me through my ordeal in life. i learned a lot about things I'll never get over, but that I will be able to live with once I accept, forgive, stop and begin again.
Shar
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'll sum this 220+ book up in a sentence. Trust in God, forgive others, and get a different perspective on your issues.
Mary Ellen
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me tremendously! It plucked out so many instances that I have been through and feelings I've had and still have and let me see that other people have the same things happen. It helps to know you are not alone and that sometimes life just sucks and sometimes you can do something that will ease your pain or angst. Excellent! I am buying this book!
Vicki Lynn Seeck
Nov 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not worth reading

The title of this book has very little to do with its actual content. Rather than a thoughtful spiritually based discussion of approaching life and it’s difficulties, you get an incoherent collection of anecdotes and superficial information. I could not finish the book. It was that bad.
Holly B
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first half of the book held my attention, but the second half was really busy. As if trying to pack as much information in as possible.
Stanley Williams
Inspirational and entertaining!
Jeff Smith
After being hurt badly, I found some comfort here. A must for those having trouble moving on...
Debra
Jul 26, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just another book with the initially hidden message, convert to Christianity & all your true problems will be solved

I'm tired of these books pretending to be genuinely therapeutic for issues like grief, or sense of loss, self discovery, or self-improvement... ways to be a better person to yourself & those around you, etc) only to find that the authors true mission isn't to offer practical or actual help or answers the reader might actually benefit from, but rather to push his/her true
Sherilyn Young
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book, and has helped me a lot. It's from the prospect of someone who has dealt with Depression himself, I finding that I listened to people that have been through a experience like this and have come through the other end. I rarely give a book 5 Stars. But this one totally deserves. I would highly recommend to anyone struggling with past hurt or issues.
Sharon K. Woolsey
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Getting Past What You'll Never Get Over

Helpful information about understanding there are things in our lives we never get over. To progress to acceptance we must quit reliving the hurt, emotion, etc. Before we can move on with life anew. A book worth reading for all.
Denise
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it took me until halfway through...

I think it took me until halfway through the book before I started to feel like it was worth my time to finish it, probably because I was hoping for something that was more therapeutic.
Susan Morton
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book was very interesting funny true and had a wide range of experiences to learn from and thought the book was brought across well inspired me loads and just made me feel good genrally
Susan
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
A few good tidbits but it took me forever to read this slender little paperback and that's always a sign. Not bad, just not enough. In the vein of advice being worth what you pay for it, I got my 50 cents worth.
Natalie Mangrum
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not much scripture. Just good suggestions based on authors experience. Worth at least skimming through if you're experiencing suffering and want some strategies to help you process through stuff.
Timber
Feb 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This was an ok book. I liked some of the stories, but I skimmed some, too. This isn't a very useful how-to grief book. But I finished it so it wasn't a terrible read either.
Amy
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: personally wouldn't, but if you like self-help, maybe
Recommended to Amy by: No idea, I think it was a free download
I'm not sure how this ended up on my Nook, but I don't like these types of books (self-help). At about halfway through reading it, I started skimming to finish it.
Christine L
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
I took a few tidbits of helpful information away from this book but for the most part I found it tedious and not very helpful.
Sheena
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book! Helpful, real tools to help you get past what you'll never get over --all while pointing to Christ.
Judy
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Much better than expected. Bible based without being preachy. There were some insightful takeaway's that I found worthwhile. Wish now I'd highlighted.
Carol
Jan 21, 2017
Dee Anne
Sep 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Radical Compassion: Learning to Love Yourself and Your World with the Practice of Rain
  • Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham: For Soprano, Boy Soprano, and Orchestra
  • Finding Home
  • The Dark Side
  • The House on Hope Street
  • Safe Harbour
  • A Good Woman
  • Synapse
  • Finding Peace (Bluebird Bay)
  • Conversations with God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Book 1
  • Sugar Cookies & Street Lamps Susan M Baganz
  • Jesus, His Life and Teachings
  • The Proximity Principle: The Proven Strategy That Will Lead to a Career You Love
  • Even in Our Darkness: A Story of Beauty in a Broken Life
  • Do It Scared: Finding the Courage to Face Your Fears, Overcome Adversity, and Create a Life You Love
  • Home Front
  • Making Marriage Simple: Ten Truths for Changing the Relationship You Have into the One You Want
  • Breathe Again: How to Live Well When Life Falls Apart
“It has been said, “Time heals all wounds.” I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.” 2 likes
“self-esteem is not based on what we think of ourselves, nor is it based on what other people think of us. Rather, it is based on what we think others think of us.” 1 likes