Start by marking “Remedy For Treason (Chronicles Of Isaac Of Girona, #1)” as Want to Read:
Remedy For Treason (Chronicles Of Isaac Of Girona, #1)

Remedy For Treason

(Chronicles Of Isaac Of Girona #1)

Girona, Spain. 1353. Struggling to save his patients from the plague, and avoiding the even greater danger of his wife's temper, Isaac discovers that pestilence isn't the city's only killer. A nun dies in the public baths. Then it is revealed that she is not a nun at all, but an attendant to the queen in nun's disguise. The Bishop of Girona calls upon Isaac to help determi ...more
Published May 1998 by Berkley Prime Crime

To ask other readers questions about Remedy For Treason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remedy For Treason

Susan in NC
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked this book upseveral years ago at my favorite used book store because historical mysteries are my favorite genre, and medieval Spain is a period I've never read about. I want to rush out and find the next several in the series!

Blind Jewish physician Isaac is a very appealing hero - wise, logical, compassionate and kind; the back cover made it sound like he was always ducking his wife's temper which made me think for some reason it would be more humorous or slapstick - not at all. He is a
C.
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
It is rewarding to read Caroline Roe at last. I was drawn to her books years ago. Several of these medical series volumes stood together, the covers uniquely gorgeous. It’s lucky I didn’t know they’re set in the 1300s. A medieval setting wouldn’t have appealed to me then. Revisiting my collection, I saw the author is Canadian, a pleasant surprise. My quest to fill in the few remaining volumes was quick and I tried “Remedy For Treason”.

Something within these stories, I like at once. Some readers
Vilia
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review from Backchatting Books

"Remedy for Treason" is set in the small town of Girona, Spain in 1353. Isaac, the blind Jewish physician is asked by the Bishop of Girona to investigate why a nun died in the public baths. Along the way we meet his family and a young Moor (Yusef) with a very big secret. Medora Sales who writes under the pseudonym of Caroline Roe has a PhD in medieval history and this makes for a rich, evocative tale.

Isaac is a very intelligent if introspective man and this along wi
Dina Tanners
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had read book #2 before #1, so this book really helped to set the setting.

The story takes place in 1353 in Medieval Europe.

It is quite complex, paced in a balanced manner, with very good development.

I love learning about the social history of the time especially and the details of the Jews (I am Jewish) in that area in Girona, relatively close to Barcelona.

I would give it a 4+ if I could and I highly recommend it.

Miryam
Aug 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
The first (I think) of a series of books starring a blind Jewish physician and his Muslim apprentice in 14th century Spain. In addition to being engaging mysteries, these books, which are written by a medieval historian, provide a fascinating glimpse into medieval Spain.
Lectrice Hérétique
Excellent premier volume de la série Chroniques d’Isaac de Gérone, cette entrée en matière donne vraiment envie de lire la suite des aventures et enquêtes d’Isaac le médecin. Le contexte historique est passionnant et bien reconstitué, ça change et dépayse, l’intrigue est bien développée, les personnages intéressants. À découvrir !
Julie Hulten
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great read!
Shannon
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Not recommended
After reading all the reviews for this book (all of which gave it a much higher rating than I do,) I was expecting something far more erudite and historical. The evil characters hardly play any active role; once revealed, they are killed or leave the stage the story is built on. The good characters move about in a haze of either obliviousness or obtuseness until something occurs to shake them into taking notice of what is going on around them!
I cannot really believe that in mid-14th century Spai
Timothy Williams
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a nice departure from what I have been reading lately. Well not a radical departure as it is a historical mystery, but it is the first I've read by an outsider. Caedfael, Owen Archer, Eleanor and Thomas and all the rest, while set apart in different ways, were all European. Isaac of Girona on the other hand is part of a society viewed with suspicion by the greater society around him. As a doctor, and a good one at that, he is instrumental to his town, but as a Jew he is viewed with susp ...more
Sue Bradley
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very engaging, thoughtful, well plotted historical fiction set in 1300's Girona. Captures the politics, religion and way of life of several intersecting cultures in medieval Spain.
Maddy
SERIES: #1
RATING: 4.0
Carol Colfer
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Disappointing though mildly interesting---about a blind Jewish doctor in the 14th century, his spunky daughter/student, and a plot against the king.
Mazel
Dans l'Espagne du XIVe siècle, Gérone accueille la deuxième plus importante communauté juive de toute la Catalogne. Le médecin juif Isaac y officie malgré un sérieux handicap il est aveugle. Respecté et reconnu, ce ne sont pourtant pas seulement ses talents de guérisseur qui font sa réputation. Observateur subtil de la nature humaine, assisté de sa femme Judith, de son jeune apprenti Yusuf et de sa charmante fille Raquel, il répond immanquablement présent lorsqu'il s'agit d'enquêter sur les crim ...more
Travis
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history, mystery
An interesting idea, hero and setting are hurt by a major case of 'first book in the series' syndrome.

I like Isaac and the members of his household, but the story jumps around too much and we get information that he doesn't, so it feels like I'm cheating when I pieced things together before he did. The jumping around between three story threads and a dozen characters in a book that's a little over two hundred pages really hurt it. I was expected to keep track of thinly developed characters, whil
Kinsey_m
May 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
The first line of the Synospsis should give you an idea of the historical accuracy to be expected: Girona, Spain 1353. In 1353, Girona was not part of Spain but of the Crown of Aragon. Not only that, but Spain did not even exist, with the peninsula beign divided into the Crown of Aragon, The Crown of Castilla, Navarra, the Califate of Cordoba and Portugal. But who cares about historical accuracy? Not this writer apparently.

Diana Sandberg
Jun 21, 2009 rated it liked it
First of her Isaac of Girona series. Isaac is a blind Jewish physician in 14th century Spain. I enjoyed this and would welcome another; I have to say it wasn't, I don't know, deep maybe? I did like the characters and the plot ticked along nicely, I can't quite say what I thought fell short, but it wasn't very short anyhow.
Libby
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
The mystery itself I'd only give 3 stars, but as historical fiction, the setting and characters were excellent. I was fascinated by the interplay of cultures in 14th century Spain. Well-written enough that I've read several others in the series - and want to read more!
Paula  Obermeier McCarty
This excellent series, by Caroline Roe, is about a blind Jewish physician in medieval Spain. They are presented as mysteries, but as one Amazon.com reviewer mentioned, they are really more like historical novels than mysteries. I have enjoyed all of her books so far.
Dawn
What a fantastic first book to a series. I love that it is set in fourteenth century Spain and that the main character is a blind Jewish doctor. While the mystery was good, it was really the setting and the hero that made this such a good story for me.
Patty
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one more than my husband, Travis, did. I found the setting and characters intriguing, though Yusuf's flashbacks were a bit heavy-handed. I am looking forward to more of this series.
Roshni
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fast paced mystery set in medieval Spain - intrigue and complex political webs
Laurie Rockenbeck
May 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
A jewish doctor in pre-Isabella Spain...
Lisa
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it
The first in a medieval medical mystery series that is good. I hope the series gets even better.
Cristin
Jul 23, 2013 rated it liked it
took me a while to get into but it was an enjoyable read
Tania Nikitenkova
Oct 06, 2016
Eliza
Sep 08, 2012
Joan
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Would a merchant in medieval Spain use the phrase I’ll box your ears?
Laurence
Sep 12, 2007
Susan Dunn
Nov 22, 2014
Nina
Jul 11, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Shrine of Murders (Kathryn Swinbrooke, #1)
  • Thirteenth Night (Fools' Guild, #1)
  • Fortune Like the Moon (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #1)
  • The Nightingale Gallery (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #1)
  • Hangman Blind (Abbess of Meaux, #1)
  • Death and the Chapman (Roger the Chapman, #1)
  • The Bone-Pedlar (Sir Richard Straccan, #1)
  • Death Comes As Epiphany (Catherine LeVendeur, #1)
  • A Mortal Bane (Magdalene La Batarde, #1)
  • Falconer's Crusade (William Falconer, #1)
  • The Tainted Relic: An Historical Mystery (The Medieval Murderers, #1)
  • The Sanctuary Seeker (Crowner John Mystery #1)
  • A Play of Isaac (Joliffe the Player, #1)
  • Ovid (Marcus Corvinus, #1)
  • One for Sorrow (John the Eunuch, #1)
  • High Marks for Murder (Bellehaven House, #1)
  • Firedrake's Eye (David Becket and Simon Ames, #1)
  • A Plague on Both Your Houses (Matthew Bartholomew, #1)
Caroline Medora Sale Roe AKA Medora Sale

As Medora Sale, Caroline Roe has written six police procedurals, including an Arthur Ellis Award winner. These books are set in and about Toronto and feature homicide detective John Sanders and architectural photographer Harriet Jeffries. As Caroline Roe, Medora used her PhD research on religious diversity in medieval times to re-create the character of the

Chronicles Of Isaac Of Girona (8 books)
  • Cure For A Charlatan (Chronicles of Isaac Of Girona, #2)
  • An Antidote for Avarice (Chronicles of Isaac of Girona, #3)
  • Solace for a Sinner (Chronicles of Isaac of Girona, #4)
  • A Potion for a Widow (Chronicles of Isaac of Girona, #5)
  • A Draught For A Dead Man (Chronicles of Isaac of Girona, #6)
  • A Poultice for a Healer (Chronicles of Isaac of Girona, #7)
  • Consolation for an Exile (Chronicles of Isaac of Girona, #8)