Start by marking “The Brightworking” as Want to Read:
The Brightworking

The Brightworking

(The Brightstone Saga #1)

Mikal, a blacksmith's son, enjoys working with fiery metal in his father's forge. But when the sorcerers' Guild of Constant Working comes to his small village for a Gleaning, the young boy's destiny is changed forever. Mikal begins a life of servitude at the Guild and soon learns of the magical world around him. Before long, he is apprenticed to the most powerful wizard in ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Enslow Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Brightworking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brightworking

Hilary
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, tri-review
Mikal is learning the blacksmith’s trade when the Guild of Constant Working tests all the youngsters in his village and “gleans” him. Following a harrowing journey from his rural home to the capital city, Mikal becomes friends with street-wise Lyra, is apprenticed to the powerful (but evil) wizard Harlano, and is caught up in events that threaten to destroy the kingdom.

The plot moves forward at a rapid clip, the emphasis is on the action, and it ends with a cliffhanger. As the novel was written
Samuel
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
The novel tells the story of Mikal, who is "gleaned" from his village in a scene that makes one half expect someone else to Volunteer As Tribute, and then shipped off to serve the Guild of Constant Working (which, I have to say, is one of the best-named organizations I've heard of in a while). While there, he makes a friend named Lyra, becomes apprenticed to a powerful wizard of questionable morals, and becomes part of a sweeping series of events that promise to have Lasting Consequences For Eve ...more
Mrs. McGregor
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, ya, middle-grades
The Brightstone Saga is a forthcoming fantasy trilogy from Enslow Publishers. The Brightworking was a relatively light story that was easily digestible and takes place in a world of ancient magic, which I can see appealing to certain students. This could certainly pass as a read-alike for the youngest Harry Potter fans, but lacks the depth those fans may be used to. The story does not waste much time with background and setting details and gets right into the action of the story, but the trade-o ...more
Bob
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Alrighty, totally honest review time here. Having been fortunate enough to win this book (through Goodreads First Reads), the least I can do is review it.

Brightworking is a fantastic story, trapped by the simplicity of its language. The story is filled with interesting and entertaining possibility, with some interesting bits of magic, it just never fully reaches its potential. The language is just too simple, it lacks the real shine that one would find in the works of the masters of fantasy.

Of c
Tom Pintong
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as from Goodreads' First Reads program.

When I looked at the name of the author, I knew I had seen Paul Thompson's name somewhere before, but I did not connect his name to several of the Dragonlance novels I have read in the past and enjoyed until I read the blurb about the author at the end of the book.

The Brightworking is the first novel in a series, set in a fictional world of magic, that seems to have come from the stars. Mikal is the main character in the book, a nice, c
Staci
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My 13 year old son snagged this book as soon as it arrived in the mail and read it before I could get my hands on it. He really enjoyed it but said it was a pretty quick read and ended too soon. He is now waiting for the next book to come out. I think that is the best recommendation for any book...I am now reading it as well and my 8 year old wants to read it next.

My rating system is as follows:

5 stars - Excellent, Worth Every Penny, Made It Into My Personal Library!

4 stars - Great book, but not
Chris
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it
A story of Mikal who is gleaned from his village to work for the Guild of Constant Work which is under the control of wizards. The head wizard, Harlano, is evil in what he wants to happen to the city. Mikal is noticed because of some special skills he may have and is moved up to work for Harlano. Befriending Lyra the two work together to survive along with a metal talking head that Mikal calls Orry. The adventures of the three continue in book 2, The Fortune-Teller, not yet released but I read t ...more
Michele Minor
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an interesting tale about a young man's introduction to the magical world when he is gleaned to work for the sorcerer's Guild of Constant Working. Mikal soon learns of the magical world around him and about the politics within the Guild. He has a metal talking head that assists him and his friend Lyra. This would be a good book for young readers since it does introduce the readers to a new world.
Dan
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received this Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) through LibraryThing.
I enjoyed reading this one a lot. It is fast-paced, and I read it in just a few hours. I can't wait to read the next book in the series, it should be a page-turner just like this book.
If you like fantasy stories, then give this book a try, it's a good read, and the author is a great storyteller.
Shana
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I won this book from Goodreads First-reads! I loved this book. Thompson is a master storyteller, he pulls you right into the action from the very begining! I love that he leaves out anything inconsequential, and that you can understand the story lines without chapters of meaningless backstory. Wonderful quick read for fantasy lovers of all ages, can't wait for the next one!
Saige
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fun and interesting, I enjoyed it a lot. I want to see what becomes of the scattered wizards and the clashing kingdoms but more so than that I need to find out what becomes of Mikal. Putting pages from the next installment at the end, I'm going to need that next book. I'm too involved to let it go now. There are things I need to know.
Cassie C
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I won this book through Goodreads (Yeah!!!). I would give this book a 3.5-3.75. I thought the story was well paced. I did not think it lagged anywhere.The book was a joy to read and I definitely would recommend it for ages 8-12. However, older people would still enjoy the book. The book is a quick read but it packs a punch. I can't wait for the next book.
Mildreddavis
  • The Rexworth Manifesto
  • Prepare
  • Did I Expect Angels?
  • Orcs: Forged for War
  • Raven's Blood (Raven Chronicles #4)
  • Route 66:The People-The Places-The Dream
  • The Magician's Apprentice
  • Ambergate (Murkmere Hall, #2)
  • The Soul of Anime: Collaborative Creativity and Japan's Media Success Story
  • Guruji: A Portrait of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois Through the Eyes of His Students
  • Ivy and the Meanstalk
  • The Worst Witch and The Wishing Star (Worst Witch, #7)
  • The Sign of the Cat
  • Sabbath in the Suburbs: A Family's Experiment with Holy Time
  • The Misadventures of the Magician's Dog
  • Wish (triology Faerieground, #1)
  • How Not to Save the World (A Remi Austin Adventure)
  • Josh (Wyoming Sky, #2)

The Brightstone Saga (3 books)
  • The Fortune-Teller
  • The Battle for the Brightstone (The Brightstone Saga, #3)