Start by marking “Ella Bella Ballerina and The Nutcracker” as Want to Read:
Ella Bella Ballerina and The Nutcracker

Ella Bella Ballerina and The Nutcracker

(Ella Bella Ballerina)

Christmas is coming, and Madame Rosa has prepared a surprise party for her ballet class. "Ella Bella, would you fetch the music box?" asks Madame Rosa. "Then we can have some dancing at our party." As the music begins playing, little Ella Bella is magically transported into the enchanting, festive world of The Nutcracker ballet. There, she meets the beautiful Clara and her ...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Barron's Educational Series (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ella Bella Ballerina and The Nutcracker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ella Bella Ballerina and The Nutcracker

Susan
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of a series of books about a little girl called Ella Bella and her ballet lessons with Madame Rosa. As fans of the series will know, Madame Rosa has a magical music box and whenever she asks Ella Bella to fetch it, the little girl usually plays the music when she is alone and is transported into the story of a ballet.

This book covers the most popular Christmas ballet, “The Nutcracker,” which tells the story of Clara, the Nutcracker doll who is really a Prince, the wicked King Mouse a
Abigail
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Ballet Lovers / Fans of the Ella Bella Ballerina Books
Ella Bella Ballerina finds herself slipping magically into the story of The Nutcracker in this entry in British author/illustrator James Mayhew's series devoted to her adventures. Dancing along to the music from her instructor Madame Rosa's music box, suddenly Ella Bella encounters the famous Clara, from the ballet. Together the two girls aid the Nutcracker in his battle against the Mouse King, and travel to the magical Land of Sweets. When our heroine returns to the everyday world, she finds ma ...more
Erin
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A well retelling of a Christmas Classic, to reach a younger generation. The illustrations were colorful, and had tons of detail. Making children look at the pictures, way after the words are read. Giving little dancing princesses dreams, of dancing around a Christmas tree. And letting their imagination run free.
Karen
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ellie, jacob, mom
Jake rates 2 stars. Ellie rates 4 stars...krb 9/7/15

Read again to Ellie. She now rates this 2 stars..krb 11/14/17
C.G.
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute, short version of The Nutcracker, perfect Christmas book addition, especially since our oldest (older sister to the four who heard this book read tonight) is in the Nutcracker performance for the first time this year with her ballet company. A worthy addition to the Christmas book library.
Hana
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heather Jo
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Teri
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the story of the Nutcracker and found this to be an engaging story. The character of Ella Bella Ballerina is incorporated into the Nutcracker. Love the layout and illustrations!
Valerie Barnhart
This book is for PS-3, and my student could independently read the book.

The book comes as part of a series with different ballets described. A new book on Ella Bella and the Midsummer Night's Dream will come out in 2015. This could lead to the student reading more books by the author for additional information on other ballets. Natalie expressed interest in music, theater, dancing, and art. Fantasy and animals are included in the ballet. This ballet is written by a Russian writer. Natalie expres
Roewoof
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I went to the ballet when I was little and we watched The Nutcracker, and I hated it. I didn't know what the heck was going on, because no one explained the story to me, and even though the stage and the costumes were gorgeous, it didn't make up for my confusion and what I believed was a lack of story.

In the Ella Bella series the Nutcracker is explained in a simple way that children can understand, so that when I take my young to see The Nutcracker, they'll know what's going on, and will associ
Libby
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This Nutcracker story was an interesting mix of the fairy tale and a "child in a ballet" version. Ella Bella (who apparently stars in other ballet books...I didn't realize how many ballet series are out there until we started looking for Nutcracker stories! In this one, Ella Bella and her ballet class are having a Christmas party, but when Ella goes to get her teacher's music box, the music magically transports her (or is she just imagining things?) into the story of the Nutcracker. The Rat King ...more
The Library Lady
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wrote negative reviews of the other books in this series--negative enough for me to get an annoyed comment from the author in fact(!), but I liked this one.

We get a lot of requests for a simple Nutcracker retelling every December and except for Susan Jeffers version, none of them are good for the preschool set. This one draws children into the story, just as I try to do each December at my (very) simple Nutcracker program, and I will happily recommend it to patrons.
Samantha
Ella Bella is enchanted by the music of the famous Nutcracker Ballet. She meets Clara and together they battle the evil Mouse King breaking the spell that tranformed the prince into the Nutcracker doll.

A great seasonal read, especially for any youngsters who may be attending a performance of The Nutcracker.
Karen Dransfield
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
A new series about a young Ella Bella Ballerina and her ballet classes and famous ballets. This story the teacher tells the class about the Nutcracker story and Ella ends up in the story and follows it along. A great way to introduce a famous piece of music and ballet for a child. Lovely pictures. A factual page at the end of the book gives more details about the ballet and composer of the music.
Heather
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas, ballet, own
I nice story for those kids who are fans of both ballet and the nutcracker story. It was well received and enjoyed by O. Mom and Dad were happy it wasn't just another Nutcracker retelling as doesn't everyone have a couple different versions already?
Pat
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Lovely story of a little girl and The Nutcracker ballet.
Heather
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
My favorite retelling of the story of the Nutcracker for young children. My three-year-old daughter loves this book, and it was a fun way to introduce her to the classic Christmas ballet.
Michael
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good quick and concise story of the 'Nutcracker' as seen through the eyes of Ella Bella.
Nikki
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Very good for getting kids into a mood to see The Nutcracker or potentially to inspire an interest in ballet.
Jaime
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
My daughter Ella nicknamed Ella-Bella collects and loves all of these!
Alicia
Aug 07, 2017
Katie Fischer
Nov 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
James Mayhew's first book for children was Katie's Pictures Show, (Orchard Books 1989) establishing the long running series about a child's adventures in an art gallery. Many of his books have a cultural agenda and James is passionate about introducing children to art, music, opera, ballet and traditional tales.

He has published over 60 books, and illustrated and written for many other colleagues i

Ella Bella Ballerina (6 books)
  • Ella Bella Ballerina and the Sleeping Beauty