Start by marking “Eight Tales of Terror” as Want to Read:

Eight Tales of Terror

Eight classic stories by the master of horror, Edgar Allan Poe.

The Cask of Amontillado
William Wilson
The Mask of the Red Death
The Imp of the Perverse
Mass Market Paperback, 196 pages
Published February 1st 1978 by Scholastic Books (first published 1961)

Start your review of Eight Tales of Terror
Keann
Jan 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
I really did not like this book. It was boring and not interesting at all. It's probably because I don't really like poetry. This is what I thought of Eight Tales of Terror.
CDoyle
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Very questionable stories.
Connie  Kuntz
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collection includes:

The Cask of the Amontillado, Hop-Frog, MS. Found in a Bottle, Ligeia, The Fall of the House of Usher, William Wilson, The Masque of the Red Death, and The Imp of the Perverse.

We also read The Tell-Tale Heart, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Raven, and The Black Cat.

We probably read others, but that's all I can remember right now.

My favorite was MS. Found in a Bottle because we read it during the same month we were reading Moby-Dick and it was so exciting to see the
Nai
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: horror lovers and lovers of dark fairy tales
& eight short? tales on why I re-enjoyed reading this book for the books that made me love reading challenge.
Reason number 1
This way, I don't have to rush myself to finish either Don Quixote orAlso Sprach Zarathustra. Both of those take a whack of time to read, and while I do enjoy large windmills and Strauss, perhaps choosing to read both those books at the same time was a mistake. Toooooo much philosophy makes brain go something something.

Just like this:

Jocelyn
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clarice
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Edgar Allan Poe is a great writer. He seems to like getting inside the head of the characters in his works, which makes them unique. I thought that A Masque of Red Death was the best poem in this book. There is definitely a large variety of vocabulary throughout the book.
Mely
Oct 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
I don't feel like I can give this book a fair, unbiased rating. For that reason alone, I wouldn't give my star rating too much merit. I can honestly say that Poe is not of my taste within the spectrum of horror literature. I'm a little bit sad because I know his writing is classic. I'm just not into Gothic stories or books written in the 19th century. I find the language very hard to comprehend and boring. Therefore, as you can imagine, I zoned out many times while reading these stories. I tried ...more
Sarah Sammis
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's an interesting mix of stories that range from murder for revenge, ghost stories, demonic possession, death personified, etc. The book has a very brief introduction that highlights various aspects of Poe's life and it is one of the rare times that I actually wished for a longer introduction. Also each of the eight stories has a paragraph or two of introduction that includes interesting tidbits like who first published the story and what was going on in the time of Poe's life when it was ...more
Holly
Aug 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Edgar Allen Poe is a great writer, but I think he was a bit crazy. He writes so you really get into the heads of the main characters, however it isnt a place I would like to stay. These stories are classics for a good reason. Eerie, spooky and just a bit gross.
Ashleigh Gamboni-Diehl
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wealth of vocabulary.
itchy
Sep 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: meray
p172: t othe, should be to the
p188: missing period after exists

thanks to meray for this book
Rogue-van (the Bookman)
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fan, rvo-reviewed
Although the elaborate language seems strange today, it helps establish the mood. Poe, a master of the eerie, succeeds in titillating his readers with glimpses into the bizarre.
Aron
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Yep. Still not a fan. I'm impressed with the style of his writing but find the stories themselves too shallow.
Cambria
Jun 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Never am I ever going to read this again...please don't ask me why...it's just a thing ;)
James
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
How could one NOT enjoy E. A. Poe?
Sarah Thompson
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing

When I think of Edgar Allen Poe I think if a crazy person. He is a master of creepy and scary. The 8 stories in this book left me with a creepy, uneasy, feeling. 8 Tales by Edgar Allen Poe is really good, it has 2 stories that I enjoyed the most and they both gave me chills while reading. The Masque of the Red Death, and William Wilson, these 2 stories are my favorite.

The Masque of the Red Death was creepy and chilling. The Red Death had devastated the country. The Prince had thrown a party,
Elias Patino
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This book review will be on Edgar Allen Poe’s book Eight Tales of Terror. This book was published in 1961, but was the republished in on February 1, 1978. Edgar Allan Poe was born on January 19, 1806 in Boston, Massachusetts. Poe was the second to be born out of his one older and younger siblings. After 3 years of Poe being born, he and his siblings were orphaned and they were each sent to live with different families. Poe was raised by a rich tobacco merchant and his wife in Richmond, Virginia. ...more
Damiano
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book ‘Eight tales of terror’ has eight stories put into one book, all of them having their own philosophical takes and different topics. The stories taking a form of the author, Edgar Allan Poe, and his experiences in life and his understanding in the world. The stories; Cask of amontillado, Hop frog , Ms found in a bottle, Ligeia, Fall of the house of usher, William Wilson, the masque of the red death, and The imp of the perverse are stories of murder, to haunting ghosts show the ...more
Joseph
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
The book was an alright book to read during school and in my spare time. Yet the book in my opinion didn’t bring much to the table with the other things I have read. Maybe it’s because I read this book more recent than the other books I have read in the past. The book was kind of interesting it just wasn’t as scary as I was hoping it to be. I mean the book is called 8 tales of terror so I was hoping to have at least a shiver or something.

The 8 tales of terror was even made by Edgar Allan Poe.
Julio Felix
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Eight Tales of Terror
-Spoiler Alert-If i'm being honest I didn't really like this book or I didn't find it interesting whatsoever. The only part of the book I liked was the Hop-Frog chapter.This book is about a guy named Montresor and how he hates strongly hates a man named fortunato because of all the injuries.He cost so eventually he lures fortunato and does the worst thing a man can do.The main conflict in this book is how montresor does something horrible to fortunato as revenge for all
Bethany
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
As someone who loves older poetry and Edgar’s other works, the book is an easy read. If you have issues with somewhat offside stories of revenge and murder then this is not the book for you. If you are also looking for a book of horrific tales of terror, this is also not the book for you (inaccurately titled). There is no “terror” here. Simply classic stories of faint murderous intention and revenge. It’s a book you keep on hand but it’s not a book you really recommend to friends.
Chuck White
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, short-story

Aside from THE TELL-TALE HEART, which I read in high school, I don't recall if I've ever read another Poe story.

Finding this collection in my personal library (when did I pick this up?) I decided to rectify the situation.

Great stuff, really lives up to the hype. I'd rate it 4.5/5 stars, if GoodReads did the half-star thing, but since they don't this one deserves a round-up, over a round-down.

Carly Laughlin
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, horror
I love Poe, but I don't think this is the best collection of his stories. A few were quite good, especially Hop-frog. Each story had an intro before it, but some of them completely spoiled the stories to the end. I recommend reading each intro after reading the story if you don't want the endings given away.
Lucien L
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this book was supposed to be terrifying but it wasn't so much for me. it still had some dark parts in it but not so much scary for me and this book was also probably after the raven because one of these stories is about his 2nd wife. I'd recommend this book to anybody that likes poetry or Edgar Allen Poe.
Cecil Huston
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
While these are classic Poe tales, some take a while to wade through. This is mainly due to the old style of writing which often relies on much excess verbiage to get a point across. Prefer it when there’s more story, and less introspection. Keep your dictionary handy!
This book and the one before (Turn of the Screw) have me craving a good old modern mystery. Written in PLAIN English!
Jimena
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
The Cask of Amontillado (3.5)
Hop-Frog (4.0)
Ms. Found in a Bottle (4.0)
Ligeia (2.5)
The Fall of the House of Usher (3.5)
William Wilson (2.5)
The Masque of the Red Death (3.0)
The Imp of the Perverse (2.0)
Jennifer Hetrick
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Maybe I'm just not a fan of Poe.
May Regan
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
gotta love that Cask of Amontillado
« previous 1 3 next »

• Frankenstein / Dracula / Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde
  • Four Complete Novels: Great Expectations/Hard Times/A Christmas Carol/A Tale of Two Cities
  • Wuthering Heights & Jane Eyre
  • The Fall
  • The Complete Novels
  • The Time Machine/The Invisible Man
  • Tales of H.P. Lovecraft
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray: A Graphic Novel
  • Anthony Bourdain's Hungry Ghosts
  • Mystery on Museum Mile (Eddie Red Undercover #1)
  • Italian Journey
  • 101 Great American Poems
  • Charlotte and  Emily Brontë: The Complete Novels
  • Girls Like Us
  • Mark of the Loon (Gen Delacourt Mystery, #1)
  • Beyond the Myth: The Story of Joan of Arc