Start by marking “Once Upon a Christmas (Nobody, #2)” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Christmas (Nobody, #2)

Once Upon a Christmas

(Nobody #2)

After a tragic loss, Celia Delacourt accepts an unexpected holiday invitation -- which is, in fact, a thinly veiled matchmaking attempt. For the lonely Celia and a reluctant young man, it turns out to be a Christmas they'd never forget.
Published October 1st 2000 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Christmas

Lyuda
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming and heartwarming romance from one of my favorite traditional regency writers.

After a tragic death of her immediate family, Celia Delacourt faces a life of loneliness and poverty - until her distant cousin, the Duchess of Arnsford, unexpectedly arrives to sweep her off to the family seat of Delacourt. Unknown to Celia, the Duchess has ulterior motives. She decided to marry her son off to Celia.
Jack Delacourt, the Marquess of Lynden, is well aware of his mother's matchmaking activities,
Leona
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: regency, romance
Enjoyable, but I felt the pacing was slightly off. I agree with one reviewer's assessment that some things were left incomplete, or not worked through properly. But, it was still a very enjoyable read and I throughly enjoyed the heroine. For me, her character made the story. She was well written with depth and dimension and my heart went out to her.
Anne
Once Upon A Christmas by Diane Farr is probably the best Christmas novel I have read up to date. What a wonderful piece of work!

I love it when a story makes me feel a lot of different emotions, and when a sad premise is lightened up by humorous situations. In this case, the story starts out sadly. Miss Celia Delacourt has just lost her entire family, and she is taken in by the Duchess of Arnsford, a distant relative, who offers to give her a place to live at her estate, Delacourt. Such a benevol
Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)
This was interesting in a sweet and slow burn way.

The orphaned, poor relation h is invited to spend Christmas with a yet unheard branch of the family. Her grandfather was the younger son of a duke who married down for love and so was kicked out of the ducal fold.
The invitation is hardly warm and comes from the present duchess, an autocratic and manipulative woman.

She has an agenda of her own that her son, the H realizes as soon as he receives a quite superfluous urging letter to be home for Ch
Caz

Once Upon a Christmas is a sweet Regency romance that tells the story of a bereaved young woman who is trying to come to terms with the loss of her entire beloved family while struggling to adjust to a new life at the ancestral home of her wealthy relatives, the starchy, autocratic and incredibly proper Delacourts.

Celia Delacourt’s father was disowned by his family when he married a penniless vicar’s daughter. Nevertheless, he and his wife and children were very happy, until a tragic il
Georgie-who-is-Sarah
3.5 stars for not being a run-of-the-mill HR
Only on the face of it is this a light-hearted Christmas story. Jack & Celia's dance to an HEA is fluffy enough, but the sub-plots become increasingly grim. They're good sub-plots, though, with depth and feeling - and, IMO, rather more interesting than the main plot.

(view spoiler)
Jacqueline J
A cute book but not as good as the other book I read by this author The Fortune Hunter. Somehow it didn't realize its potential. It was too short and neither of the two romances felt complete to me. A lot more could have been done with the set up of having the heroine think that the hero was mad. And it felt unfinished because we never found out what happened to the plotting duchess.
Ilze
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable story. Some extremely funny situations ensue from the hero's deciding to behave like a lunatic because he thinks the heroine is pursuing him for his money and position, while the heroine, who is not pursuing him at all, actually believes that he *is* a lunatic. The characterization of the hero's cat is spot-on (and how can you not love a hero who appreciates cats?)

(But why on earth did the publishers put such a dorky-looking pair on the cover of the 2000 edition of the book?)
MRB
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Sweet, quick...and fairly forgettable. Celia is a likable heroine and Jack, while not exactly the deepest and most nuanced hero you'll ever come across, is a charming, life-loving sweetheart. We get some amusing dialogue and comedic situations here, though we also also some dialogue and situations that seem to be trying a bit too hard to be amusing and not *quite* making it. The ending had me smiling like a sap even as I reflected that Jack and Celia's connection seemed a bit too much like 'inst ...more
M.A. Nichols
I loved this book. It made me feel the whole gambit of emotions and did so without resorting to over-the-top melodrama or ludicrous plot twists. The synopsis makes it sound like a fluff piece, but I found that though the story doesn't include big, sweeping plot-lines, it does have deep characters with interactions and misunderstandings that are genuine and compelling.

The heroine is a great mix of conflicting emotions. At one moment she's tough and standing up for herself and the next, she's vuln
Aneca
Dec 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
I had already read another book by Diane Farr when I came across this one. The other book was The Fortune Hunter and I really enjoyed it so I couldn't resist picking this one up.

After a tragic loss, Celia Delacourt accepts an unexpected holiday invitation-which is, in fact, a thinly veiled matchmaking attempt. For the lonely Celia and a reluctant young man, it turns out to be a Christmas they'd never forget....

And it was a really nice and occasionaly fun story. Celia Delacourt has lost her entir
Janet
Aug 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Excellent Regency and on my keeper shelf for good. Why a "cabin romance"? Because what is Christmas but a time set out of time. Very enjoyable.
Sheryl Tribble
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cover: painful.
Story: wonderful.

Read this back when it came out and thought it good. Still think so. Didn't realize it was connected to another book so now I guess I'll add that to my want list.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Celia lost her whole family suddenly and tragically, and has been invited to visit long lost family by a duchess, who is dying and her family has no idea. She isn't sure what is expected of her in this grand house, but soon finds a friend in her cousin Jack, who she believes to be mad. The duchess means to use Celia to make Jack marry, and to remake her in her own image, but Celia is not amiable to the rude duchess's underhanded plans. Celia and Jack fall in love regardless of any interference, ...more
Joycelyn
Jan 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Shelley
This is one of the books that I chose while looking for some light holiday reading material. I liked the characters and storyline in this book to the point that I really wish the author had taken more time to develop both. They were both good enough I would have loved another 200 pages.
Julia
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice G rated Regency Romance. Grab a box of tissues at least for me it was a real tear jerker. It also made me laugh outloud. Very sweet story.
Beeface
Dec 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
A wonderful holiday story. This is going on my keeper shelf. Loved Celia, Jack, and the way Diane weaves their story.
Pam Faste aka Peejakers
Oh my goodness, this was the most charming thing!

I've never read or even heard of this author before, but just by chance I noticed a review of this that someone tweeted the other day & it sounded lovely, so I decided to try it. And I'm so happy I did!

It's really well written, with a story that ranges from endearing to cracking-up hilarious to deeply touching on themes of grief, illness, self-worth, and social anxiety.

There's an adorable central couple: a smart, spirited, & movingly vu
Michelle
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Farr definitely read Heyer's Cousin Kate.
GG
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not as good as first one in series; still it had some very funny moments.
Colette
This was a cute holiday read.
Pauline Ross
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another lovely story from Diane Farr. Why have I only just discovered this author? She writes exactly the sort of tale I like to read - two people thrown together almost against their will, who oh-so-slowly fall in love. Now, the obstacle to their happiness in this case is one of those misunderstandings that would be cleared up in five minutes if they just sat down and discussed things, and normally I hate that, but in this case the obstacle is so outrageous and funny that I didn’t mind it at al ...more
Vana
Jan 03, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency, lol
Sweet innocent country girl bro't to be Duke's wife, but he pretends to be addled to scare of what he thinks is fortune hunter, but she takes pity on him and tries to be nice.
Nenya
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
The main couple's romance is bland enough. It is the dowager (H's mom) who adds something (anything) to the novel.

I think I read this before I read the first of the series, and therefore had more sympathy with Elizabeth, h's sister and the ow from the first book.

I did not feel like she got a HEA. The Duke of whatever was in love with his first wife, whom he ditched her for. He still remembers her. And, though they both agree they might come to love each other, all I see for them in the future,
Gail
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Heroine is a poor relation brought to the estate of her rich ducal relatives to marry the son-and-heir--she was selected, because the son is mad, and the duchess tells her he needs a keeper. The son realizes his mother is matchmaking, and decides to drive the harpy off by giving her a distaste of him. He brings a colorblind would-be valet, who does him up in outrageous clothing--confirming her belief that he's mad. He learns the heroine is really quite nice. She learns that he's not so mad-behav ...more
Louise Allen
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this novel, which has a similar theme to Heyer's Cousin Kate but without the darkly Gothic feel. Celia has been selected as the least-worst choice to be groomed as a future duchess by the hero's controlling and icy mother - and stands up to her well. As always wityh Farr's Regencies the hero and heroine are engaging and interesting and the writing flows beautifully. But the ending, where the villain of the piece is left to their fate without any redemption or hope made me uncomfortable ...more
H2bourne
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a delightful story! A fairly quick read but still well-developed and well-paced. The developing relationship between Celia and Jack is sweet. There's humour but also depth to the dialogues. I appreciated that misunderstandings weren't allowed to carry on for frustratingly long periods. Considering the time period, there was actually relatively good communication between the characters. Nice, clean romance that tells a good story.
Sbuchler
Feb 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008, romance
Genre: Regency Romance

This is light fluff, but amusing for it's kind. There are no bedroom scenes, and the dialog is occasionally laugh-out-loud funny (in a good way). Both the hero and heroine are very sweet; the kind of individuals you'd like to know, but all of the characters seem to be impressions rather then fully drawn people.
Jane
4.55 stars - pg13

Sweet, sad, romantic, funny, fast-moving regency romance. Great characters. Loved the Hero (sweet & funny). Loved the cat! This is second and last book in series; not necessary to read "The Nobody" first. Looking forward to reading the Lord Rival series next.
TJ
Sep 16, 2009 rated it liked it
A nice, cozy, stay-at-home-night kind of read.

• A Loyal Companion
  • A Regency Christmas Carol
  • Marian's Christmas Wish - Just a simple Christmas Wish -- but not simple when Love is at Stake
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • Regency Christmas Wishes
  • A Regency Christmas V
  • Miss Lacey's Last Fling
  • A Double Deception (Regency Duo, #2)
  • A Countess by Christmas
  • Lord of Dishonor
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)

Nobody (2 books)
  • The Nobody (Nobody, #1)