Start by marking “Tales for the Midnight Hour” as Want to Read:

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  335 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Terrifying Tales

These seventeen stories are guaranteed to keep you awake and shivering with fear. We dare you to read them alone, late at night. The moon is full. The clock strikes twelve. Don't be afraid. But what's that sound? Footsteps in the hall? It's just the dog. That creaking door? Merely the wind blowing. And is that a face at the window? Or is it just your imagin
Published May 1st 1992 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Tales for the Midnight Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales for the Midnight Hour

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
When everyone talks about Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, this is the book I think of instead -- I read this a handful of times (because once clearly wasn't enough even though it scared me shitless every time) when I was in school.
Gabrielle
Mar 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I read this in about Grade 3, and still stories from it haunt me. It was probably one of the first really scary books I read, and it absolutley terrified me. I got it from our school library, after I saw a friend reading it. I remember sitting in a corner of the library, wide-eyed with horror, and not even talking to anyone at lunch because I was a traumatized wimp. I dreamed about it, and vividly remember the tales that affected me the most: One about a creepy windego grandmother, one about a t ...more
Melissa
Mar 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
The stories are really short so this is a quick read. The problem is these stories are not scary. I could read these to my 5 year and she would laugh at how unscary they are. Some were predictable and others are just different retellings and versions of stories.
Kate
Mar 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Kate by: Janina Majeran
Shelves: age-ya, horror, 2011
My friend Janina brought up this book when we were talking about books we'd read as teens (this, and Sweet Valley High). She remembered being really freaked out by the first story, and so we checked to see if any libraries still had this gem. Yep! My local town library, in fact. I told her to find out when this book had last been checked out (since we were teens back in the 1990s). She went one step further and checked the book out to me. Surprisingly, this book - first published in the late 70s ...more
Andrew Huff
Mar 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
A favorite from my childhood--I reread this one again the other day. I initially picked this one up from someone back in third grade or so who got it at a book fair (remember those?).

I've got to say, for being so short and written for children, these stories are really pretty good. Most achieve a good deal of psychological tension and really stick in your head. My personal favorite is the one about the jigsaw puzzle and it's stuck with me since I first read it.

The only story I don't really care
Katie
Dec 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a guilty-pleasure book. The type of book you curl up in bed with alone looking for a cheap thrill or adrenaline rush, yet feeling very cheesy and juvenile indeed. But alas, as you read, you realize the stories are quit disturbing, not your average "ghost stories." I read the book many years ago, as a child, and some of the stories have stayed with me for over 10 years now.
Jacob
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tales For The Midnight Hour by J.B. Stamper. I really like this book. It is about all kinds of different short stories. My personal favorite was the first one called The Furry Collar. Here are one of my favorite quotes is “ My fingers closed around the thick fur of Susan’s collar. My body drained with relief. I moved my hand’s up to touch Susan’s face. I was so happy; I no longer wanted to scare her. But as my fingers moved up, THERE... WAS…. I recommend this book to people who like horror and ...more
Jenny Clark
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, childrens
Actually quite creepy for a kids collection. I have read the Black Velvet Ribbon before though. A Free Place To Sleep was the creepiest to me. Recommend it for older kids who like horror, and are too old for Goosebumps, ect, but too young for Stephen King.
Nate
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tales for the Midnight Hour
Two girls sitting up stairs, home alone having a great time. While they’re having a great time, there’s a noise that came from downstairs. This frightens them. Because they’re home alone.”The Tales for the Midnight Hour”, is a decent book. In my opinion, you should give this book a try, if you’re not easily frightened! This book isn’t just one story, it’s many stories. It’s only 124 pages and some stories are slow. Things i liked about the book is that some stories ha
Gabriel alexander Arras
I think that this book is ok. I am not in to horror stories that much. I am more into graphic novels and fiction books. Even though it wasn't that good, the one that I liked the most was called ''A Free Place To Sleep''. Even though I didn't like this book that much, I would recommend this book to someone who likes horror books or horror short stories (not me) ):❎
Steve Schlutow
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.. I read it in elementary school (the scholastic book club, or whatever it was called).. For some reason, I still own this book.. I have no idea why I still possess this book that I received 30+ years ago in my 5th grade class (in the scholastic book box--it was so cool to receive books (presents) in school).. I guess I will pass it on to my kid--maybe he to will like it..
Simran Saxena
I think that this story is really stories. I read this in about the 4th grade. It still haunts me and I am in 7th grade. I am really scared to read this at night but I still read this now! THIS BOOK IS AWESOME!! You should seriously read it if you love scary stories!!!!
Erin
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
A perfect scary book for a child - but it was REALLY scary. I can't believe I got it from my school's book sale (when they used to send the flyers around). I still think about the jigsaw puzzle story sometimes....

Mine had a much more frightening cover - a skeleton, I believe.
Lydia
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
How do I read a book. I just downloaded this app today and I have no idea how to read the book:(
Tricia
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The favorite spooky kid book of my Jr. High years. Wore my copy out from re-reading.
Yvette Adams
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Not bad (remembering it's for kids).
Diego Boyero
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Tales for the midnight hour is a compilation of many stories — the stories are not related to each one. The book ranges from a woman haunted by her dead husband to a man eaten by a lizard to campers trying to cope with supernatural problems.
Within this book we can find the horror displayed in a non-exhaustive way — the boom doesn’t have the horror very developed, so it can be more scarier.
In my opinion the book can be better because the stories aren’t very interesting and also are not developed
Amy
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Note: This review is for the original Tales for the Midnight Hour. For some reason it shows up under Tales for the Midnight Hour Volume 2, which is a different collection of stories by the same author.)

I spent Halloween with my 9 year old nephew and every night we would read a couple of stories in this book together by candlelight. This book was just the right level of scary for him with old classics such as the Black Velvet Ribbon but mysterious and unfamiliar stories such as The Train through
Julia
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book, ya-juvenile
This is a classic book to show the differences between the horror novels from the 1970s versus the modern day ones. The stories aren't all that gory although they may have some blood, some horror elements and of course plenty of death.

Unlike modern horror stories the true modern day horror aficionado will be disappointed to read these stories. Some of them you can figure out what is going to happen with the stories before you get too far into them (all of them are short stories) and others of
Jazlyn
Jul 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes not-too-scary YA shorts.
Stories were pretty good, not too scary. Main problem I had was that the stories weren't very thorough. Nothing was ever explained in some stories. Sometimes it was just be like "and then a monster got him! boo!" Ok...what monster? why? haha

It was just very vague in some instances like the author was just in a hurry to get to the 'scary climax' without really building up a plot or backstory. I know they are just SHORT stories and that can be hard to do but still; the lack of plot kinda ruined t
AxeL Juarez
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I believe this book is okay. I say this because some of the scary stories were not, but there were some of them that caught my attention. My favorite thing about this is that you feel what is going to happen but at the same time you don't. I recommend this book who like mystery, short stories, and horror.
Fernanda Portocarrero
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because it thrilling. I like that in all the small storied u could imagine them on ur head. There is really only 1 emotion for this book which is scared! There are so many short stories in here so it's not just one story and I like those types of books! I recommend this book if u like thrilling books!!
Cata
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I started reading JB Stamper when I was about 10. The stories are short but very creepy, especially to a young preteen. I don't know if I would have liked it if my first reading would have been now, but it solidified my interest in horror fiction and short stories.
Heidi-Marie
This was a Tice Kid Classic and I loved having it around to read. I never tired of reading these scary tales over and over. They were very well-written, too, now that I look back on them with an English major's analysis.
Gabrielledewolfe
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
one of my favorite horror stories book i would recommend to read this book in the middle of the night with the lights turned down and a thunderstorm going on out side if you love horror you will love this
Retniap
Feb 07, 2016 rated it liked it
This book and its sequels sure did scare the crap out of me as a child - which is probably a measure of their success.

And seriously, that red fluffy collar story. Fuck that story. The fear is gone but the trauma lingers.
shilohD.
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
this is a scary book that leaves you wondering you'll make sure you've locked your doors at night and wonder whats lurking in the shadows....sometimes it even makes you wonder if you'll even wake up the next morning!!
Greta
Very short stories...very disturbing. Stories are not only creepy but have a level of pyschological disturbance that will haunt you (some you won't forget). Hey, I'm forty years old, and I still remember with vivid clarity the stories in this book.
Esteban Caropresi
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beware of what you are about to read! All your greatest fears are in this book. I wouldn't read this book at night, all by your self, in the DARK!!! This book is the scariest book I have ever read. I can not be in room by my self anymore. Good luck if your going to read this book by your self!
Serena
This book scared the **** out of me when I read it as a kid. I still remember having nightmares of that bony hand left on the door of the carriage.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
TALES FOR THE MIDNIGHT HOUR 1 1 Sep 24, 2017 06:21PM
TALES FOR THE MIDNIGHT HOUR 1 1 Sep 24, 2017 06:21PM
  • The EC Archives: Tales from the Crypt, Vol. 1
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Dracula vs. Grampa at the Monster Truck Spectacular (Wiley & Grampa's Creature Features, #1)
  • Field Notes: The Grace Note of the Canyon Wren
  • Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey? (Choose Your Own Adventure, #9)
  • Super Burp! (George Brown, Class Clown, #1)
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • Journey Under the Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure, #2)
  • Snoozers: 7 Short Short Bedtime Stories for Lively Little Kids
  • Jake Drake, Bully Buster
  • Snowy Day (Curious George)
  • Coloring Mandalas 1
  • Star Wars: Luke Skywalker's Amazing Story
  • How to Write a Children's Book and Get It Published
  • Games and Puzzles from the Ice House (Magic Tree Hous Activity Book)
  • A New Introduction to Bibliography