Start by marking “Wedding Song: Memoirs of an Iranian Jewish Woman” as Want to Read:
Wedding Song: Memoirs of an Iranian Jewish Woman

Wedding Song: Memoirs of an Iranian Jewish Woman

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  80 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Farideh Goldin was born to her fifteen-year-old mother in 1953 and into a Jewish community living in an increasingly hostile Islamic state--prerevolutionary Iran. This memoir is Goldin's passionate and painful account of her childhood in a poor Jewish household and her emigration to the United States in 1975.

As she recalls trips to the market and the mikvah, and as she evo
Published September 21st 2004 by Brandeis University Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Wedding Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wedding Song

Afsaneh Hojabri
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
It is a story of growing up (as a Jewish woman) in a Jewish-ghetto in Shiraz during the 50s, 60s and 70s in a super traditional family and in an utterly anti-Semitic society. It is almost a book of doom and gloom as Golden describes the most backward practices and attitudes, especially towards woman both in her family and within the society. Her depiction of an almost exclusively hostile society towards religious minorities likewise suffers exaggeration. While I do sympathize with Golden at many ...more
Sara
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
This is a story of growing up in a Jewish-ghetto in Shiraz during the mid 50's in a super traditional Jewish family.
Goldin describes a very hostile society against religious minorities in so much exaggeration during Shah's reign, which is not comparable with the hostile way of Islamic Republic society against religious minorities.
Laurisa
Feb 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Far from an uplifting story, but the author's ability to overcome is inspiring.
Peggy
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this memoir. I had no idea what it was like for Jews to live in Iran in the 50's and 60's, especially Jewish women. The author did an excellent job describing her life and feelings during this time.
Amir
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was just awesome, perhaps more for personal reasons. I was born in the same city that this writer was and her memories did ring a bell, although I was raised in the dominant Islamic culture, and for that reason too it was fun to read about the then mysterious lives of Jews who lives in our city. I enjoyed reading it more than anything I've read in recent years, although there were some minor inaccuracies here and there (Khomeini's birth place is not Qum, etc.) The hardships of Farideh' ...more
Karen Bograd
Nov 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting story about life as a Jewish Iranian. Full of the typical male dominated, female not worth anything lines. Which I know is the story about life at that time, but is depressing and so sad that so many girls had to suffer through their lives. Being given away as brides (before their first period), their test to see if they made a good bride was to pluck chickens, clean and wash, and serve food. They had no real say so in what they did, who they saw, etc. Unfortunately, many girls still ...more
Unwisely
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
A memoir of growing up Jewish and female in pre-revolutionary Iran. It sounds pretty terrible - constricted, sexist, girls married off before they finished high school. She manages to break free of the chains of history and family and get out, which seems prescient given what we now know.

It's possibly not a universal experience, but I sure wouldn't want to try it to see if I could do better.

Susie Krause
Aug 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Reading this book made me very happy to be a woman in the USA! This author is my age and it was amazing how different our childhoods were. Women in America have no idea how lucky we are and ignorant of the how the women in other countries are still to this day treated. A must read for ALL women to learn or be reminded of how far we've come to equality and how far we still have to go.
Maggie
Jun 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book really complicated my understanding of ethnicity, religion, and politics in the Middle East. By sharing her personal and painful experiences with sexism and Antisemitism in Iran, Goldin made me question some of my preconceived notions of the role politics and religion figured in Iran during this time.
Kate
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
not a fun read, very depressing. she is a great writer though and I feel this book is worth the read to people interested in Jewish life in Iran prior to the Islamic Revolution of 1979
Angela
Sep 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Faridah's depiction of her life is poetic, tragic, and triumphant all at the same time. A rare glimpse into the lives of Iranian Jews.
Ilana
Jul 03, 2013
Kellie
Jul 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Farideh Goldin is the author of Wedding Song: Memoirs of an Iranian Jewish Woman. Farideh was born in 1953 in Shiraz, Iran, to a family of dayanim, judges and leaders of the Jewish community. Farideh's family moved out of the mahaleh, the Jewish ghetto, to a Moslem neighborhood when she was eight years old. There, she experienced both friendship and anti-Semitism. Later, attending an American-styl ...more
More about Farideh Goldin