Start by marking “The Angel at No. 33” as Want to Read:
The Angel at No. 33

The Angel at No. 33

'Am I dead? I don't feel dead...'

Sophie cannot leave the people she loves. Her husband, Ollie - a man who once watered a houseplant for a year before realising it was plastic - is lost without her. Their son Freddie is so little. And her friend Jenny? There's something she desperately needs to know before it's too late.

Some love stories never end.
Published February 2nd 2012 by Headline Review (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Angel at No. 33, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angel at No. 33

My Book Addiction and More MBA
AFTERWIFE by Polly Williams is an interesting British contemporary women's fiction. It is the sometimes, laugh out loud story of Sophie Brady,who is funny,devoted to the people in her life,beautiful,who just so happens to be dead following a tragic accident. And her heartbroken husband,Ollie,and her best friend,Jenny. When secrets surface concerning Sophie,Jenny,questions,do we really know the people we love after all? A funny,bittersweet story full of insight,second chances,loyalty,widowhood,ra ...more
Betsy
Oh, how I loved this book, which did nothing to change my long-held opinion that British chick lit is far and away better than its American counterpart. This was my first Polly Williams book, but not my last.
Anne
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
I'm a staunch defender of good chick lit - but I'm afraid I found this one pressed all the wrong buttons for me. Light hearted treatment of heavy subjects is all well and good, but the relentless jokiness of this one was really a step too far. Despite all the plaudits, this isn't a new and original idea - on a similar theme I thought "Diving Through Clouds" by Nicola Lindsay did it so much better. My real gripe was the overall tone of the book - wisecracks and wittiness - and the limpest of hero ...more
Kelly
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Hmm it was OK, but nothing special. I didn't find it funny, bittersweet or moving at all. My favourit bit was the last page and I was so glad when I finished it.
The story in itself was OK but it was so boring, and each chapter started on a different persons perspective but you didn't know who until you had started reading it and that was annoying.
Shirley Revill
Made me laugh,made me cry. Loved this book. Recommended.
Vanessa Mozes
I found this book while shifting shelves at my library job. The cover was appealing and the summary interesting, so I decided to give it a go. The story was enjoyable, witty, and moving. I loved the intricacies of Jenny and Sophie's friendship. Most of all, I appreciated how the characters had difficulties of dealing with grief when everyone else around them kept moving on with their lives.

The reason I'm giving this book 3 stars instead of 4 has to do with the ending. It wasn't a bad ending, or
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm, Myrtle Beach
Didn't love it... decent story, good characters, totally predictable.
Karyl
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up on a whim, and thought it would be a light and easy read after what I was plodding through for book club, which was Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall. Hilariously, on page ten of this novel, Williams writes about Sophie's best friend Jenny: "She devours all the big, heavy books you're meant to read, rather than the fun ones. She actually finished Wolf Hall!" I admit that while I usually love the big, heavy books like Jenny does, I couldn't finish Wolf Hall, so she is clearly a bett ...more
Dana J. Moore
"So I get run over by a bus and I am wearing my worst knickers. Huge banana-yellow knickers."

With these hilarious first words, I was completely hooked to Polly Williams' ghosty romance novel Afterwife. I read it in two short sittings in the library two days in a row. That said, it's not a perfect book. Here's the review breakdown:

Writing Technique: ★★★★ I love Williams' way with words. I found her hilarious and emotional and addicting to read. Like a grittier Cecelia Ahern - she blends comedy an
Rea Cobb
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had never read any books by Polly Williams until a lovely friend of my contacted me last week to say she had just finished a fantastic book and was going to send it to me, this book being The Angel at No33 by Polly Williams.

I have to be honest if I had looked at this book in the shop I would have picked it up as I love the cover the colours that are used are very easy on the eye, but I think if I had read the synopsis I don’t think I would have read this book as I have read a couple of books w
Maya Panika
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
So, I guess this is chic lit. I’ve never read chic-lit before, not my sort of thing. I fell into this one by accident, thinking it was a paranormal fantasy.

Are there really people like this? Who talk like this, think like this, live lives like this? I suppose there must be, since there are so many books about them. They seem very alien to me, my life is not like this; my friends and I don’t have these conversations.

I found it very hard to warm to these spoiled, silly people and all those referen
Renee
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Giggled, sobbed, giggled again. I loved the opening line - "So I get run over by a bus and I am wearing my worst knickers". This sets the tone for the whole book. A sad topic of somebody dying and how that impacts friends and family, with lots of humour thrown in.

British chick lit with likable characters I could relate to. Predictable plot, but I would have been unhappy if it had finished any other way.

Favourite word - periodphernalia, as in "There are no beauty products or periodphernalia in
Randy Briggs
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, touching and funny.
Sophie is hit by a bus, but her spirit hangs around. Told in the alternating voices of Sophie and her best friend Jenny, this novel is about the ties of friendship and family.
Mistress Kaz
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the concept of this novel. The premise: One of the main protagonists is his by a bus and killed at the very beginning, so much of the story is told from her point of view in the afterlife, which is a brave and bold step from the author.

The storyline, which flips between the now deceased Sophie and her best friend Jenny is a slow burning romance, which toys with the emotions like a cat would play wth a mouse. The beginning is quite poignant and then William's blend of dark comedy has your
Robert Bone
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This book will always be special to me. After a year in my Masters where ultimately my mental health declined (though I didn't realise this until after), my first job gave me the most special gift - time. Time for myself. For the first time in forever, I could read fiction. And 'The Angel at No.33' was the fluff I decided upon to start...the book that now symbolises a new era of reading for FUN.

And this book, is fun! The constantly jammed in references to biscuit brands and children's TV shove t
Andreab
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved loved loved this book. If you are a chick lit fan you will really enjoy it. I love the authors writing style. Very easy to read and flowed nicely. I didn't find there were any lulls or dull moments. I was unsure how i would feel about the wife being portrayed as a 'ghost' in this book, and it so worked. A must read for chick lit lovers.
Susan Thompson
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I felt for the characters and it was a lovely heart warming story.
Aileen
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Randomly pick this book up one day and I actually really enjoyed it! It's not anything spectacular or very entertaining, but it was funny and a little moving/touching.
Samantha Alvarez
Received this book in my monthly Yureka subscription. Absolutely loved it!! Could not put it down!!
Lyndsey
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just loved this. A real page turner and some of the most relatable descriptions of female relationships I’ve read
Charlotte Lynn
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sophie Brady dies young after a traffic accident. She then attends her own funeral and watches her friends mourn her. Sophie has moved out of her life as a human, but still can watch those she left behind. Unfortunately, it seems that only animals will realize she is there.

Sophie’s friends, including Jenny her best friend, have banded together and are helping Ollie, Sophie’s husband and Freddie, Sophie’s son. They bring meals, arrange daycare, and anything else that the grieving Ollie and Freddi
Kim
Sophie and Jenny have been friends since university days when they met for the first time in their new dorm. Through thick and thin they have been there for each other. Sophie is now married to the smoulderingly handsome, Ollie, they have the adorable Freddie and her life seems perfect, whilst Jenny is still single, but still, they are more like sisters than just friends.

Jenny has been engaged for over a year, but, despite the fact that they agreed to a short engagement, there seems to be no si
Lisa
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not a subject most of us like to think about - dying. But young mum Sophie does just this when she is killed by a bus on Regent Street wearing unflattering yellow knickers. Sophie leaves behind husband Ollie and young son Freddie and narrates the story of her after-death as a ghost. So far, so unreal and yet....I have to admit that the idea of Sophie flitting through air vents and floating by the ceiling didn't quite do it for me - couldn't she just hover above ground?....but that is the only bi ...more
Best Crime Books & More
I have never read a Polly Williams book before and was looking forward to trying somebody new. Polly Williams is far from a newbie on the writing scene though and this will be her 7th release. The synopsis of the book was interesting and the cover was appealing enough.

When I first started reading the book I instantly liked the main character Sophie. She is a normal married mum with her little boy Freddie and her handsome husband Ollie. However, when she meets her best friend Jenny for a drink, s
Laura Elle
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun and playful read. Extremely British so be prepared to not understand some references if you are not from there. A few story flaws and predictable but overall enjoyable and entertaining!
Rachel
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
I only read a few Chic Lit books a year - it's not one of my favourite genres and they usually come to me via my mum and - with no disrespect to the authors - I sometimes like to sit down with a book and not have too concentrate too much in the plot. With some Chic Lit books I feel that you tend to know where it's heading but you can enjoy the journey there in a sort of pedestrian way, like an elderly person meandering down the seaside promenade enjoying the waft of salty, vinegary smell of fish ...more
Louise Wilkinson-Best
A light hearted read, typical 'Chick Lit' book
Sara Palacios
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of AFTERWIFE by Polly Williams in exchange for an honest review.

Sophie Brady is just one of those gals – funny, gorgeous, strong-willed, loyal and loving – and continues to be one after she dies. One tragic traffic accident cuts Sophie’s life short and she finds herself attending her own funeral. While there, she watches the reactions of those she holds closest to her heart. She worries most about her husband and their young son. She watches over them closely and although she l
Cyndy
Mar 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only read about 35 pages. The book did seem very promising and started off encouragingly. It starts with Sophie (the afterwive) floating above her body after just being hit by a bus. She's bemoaning the fact that her skirt is pushed up to her waist and she has her huge yellow knickers on. Of all days to wear them etc. About 10 pages further though, Sophie describes the circumstances leading up to her untimely demise and embarrassing display of granny pants. She is rushing around at home trying ...more
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I picked this up on a complete whim at the library, without really knowing what it was about, but I really enjoyed this cute, sometimes fluffy, sometimes sad, story.

This story begins with Sophie, a thirty-something woman who steps off the edge of a curb and is hit by a bus and sadly loses her life, leaving behind her husband Ollie and her little boy, Freddie. It deals with the aftermath of Sophie's death, and the effect it has on her family and friends.

The story is told in dual narration from t
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Only Way Is Up
  • Babies in Waiting
  • Stranded
  • IOU: the laugh-out-loud romantic bestseller to help see in the new year
  • The Things We Do for Love
  • Wellesley Wives
  • After Effects (Inspector Sloan #15)
  • Pastures New
  • Down to Earth
  • Still Thinking Of You
  • Lantern Lake (The Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
  • Song of the Blackbird
  • Odessa Again
  • Trust by Design (Colorado Trust, #2)
  • Remembering Love
  • The Best of Marion Zimmer Bradley
  • Love So Right (The Lawson Brothers, #7)
  • Looking for a Hero
I've written stories and poems since I was a kid, and am delighted that making up stories is now my 'proper job.' Before I started writing fiction, I was a journalist - I still freelance for magazines and newspapers - but I always planned to write a book 'one day'. My moment came after the birth of my first child. I thought, shit, it's now or never! That sense of urgency - and my experiences as a ...more
“Tidak masalah membayangkan pernikahan akan seperti New York City dan mendapati bahwa ternyata lebih menyerupai Brussels. Bukan berarti ada yang salah, atau bahwa kau dikutuk untuk bercerai. Itu hanya berarti bahwa kau menaiki pesawat yang berbeda.” 2 likes