Start by marking “Speeches That Changed The World (Book & Cd)” as Want to Read:
Speeches That Changed The World (Book & Cd)

Speeches That Changed The World (Book & Cd)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  561 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Complete with transcripts, biographies of each speaker and the stories of why the world changed as a result, this collection features 20 of the most significant speeches of the 20th century, from Churchill's 'Peace for our time' to Reagan's call to Gorbachev to tear down the Berlin Wall.
Hardcover
Published October 1st 2007 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about Speeches That Changed The World, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Tomas Ramanauskas
The most interesting find in this book is how unspectacular and even boring some immortal speeches appear decades later and in written form. They just don't have any power if you don't pinch yourself about historical importance and the context. Only Patton, Luther King and Churchill really break through and come alive.
Tudor Lazăr
Este interesant să citești discursurile persoanelor care au influențat in mod pozitiv/negativ lumea sau care au avut ceva de spus în perioada respectivă. Uimitor cum carisma, aptitudinile oratorice și un discurs bine pregatit pot influența masele indiferent ca ai intenții de bună sau rea credință. Cartea este bună per ansamblu dar lipsesc multe discursuri legendare precum cele ale clasicilor ca: Demostene, Cezar etc.
Cred că cartea respectivă va fi utilă și interesantă viitorilor vorbitori in pu
Annie
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
some interesting ones, most not so...
Carl
Sep 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-politics
A compilation of influential speeches with poorly written lead ins that fail to give a decent context in which the speeches were given. The speeches themselves are wonderful, but I can't give the book credit for printing abridged versions of better men's words.
Peter McDonald
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best speech book I have because it comes with a set of recording on CD of some of hte modern speeches. It is just electric listening (and reading). Beautifully presented with some great speeches of men and women throughout time. Just love it and highly recommend ikt
Steven S
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bukunya ok, kertas nya lumayan. Isinya yang kurang nyaman dibaca
Joshua
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Samuel Gombe
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
conspicuosly absent is anything about MALCOLM X and MARCUS MESSIAH GARVEY..Mandela championed transfer of power from Apartheid to Democracy,sadly though 30 YEARS later The LAND QUESTION is yet to be tackled comprehensively,when South Africa degenerates like Zimbabwe its the ANC that will shoulder the blame
Dainius Jocas
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man labiausiai knygoje patiko istorinių asmenybių aprašymai - nauji faktai. Ir pačios istorinės asmenybės parinktos tokios, sakykim, svarbesnės britiškam pasaulio matymui.

Kalbose buvo aptariami visokie svarbūs įvykiai, kuriems, mano galva, neįtikėnai svarbus kontekstas. Pavyzdžiui, vienoje paskutinių knygos kalbų George W. Bush po rugsėjo 11-osios sakė, kad "<..> ir imtis visų įmanomų atsargumo priemonių apsaugoti mūsų piliečius nuo naujų antpuolių tiek tėvynėje, tiek visame pasaulyje." Sk
Patrick Garrett
I originally bought this book for a seminar on rhetoric. The book, I think, did me more good than the class did, because it has started many great conversations about the power of oratory among people who have come to the house. I constantly return to it as a reference to speeches delivered by speakers from Oppenheimer to Stalin. With so many copies available for such a small price, this would be a great addition to your coffee table--no matter how you take it. On the other hand, it is not autho ...more
Indhisa
Jul 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
there's just something about great speakers whose words are so powerful and inspiring. yet too, there's something about great speakers whose charisma is spellbinding while delivering their speeches.

the book is really great for those in the writing industry, or those who simply need to be inspired.
Joredos
I give three stars only for JFK,MLK,Nehru,Teresa and Mandela.Amazing contribution to the mankind.Real people devoted to serve in order for people.Another guys are freemasons and their lies follow another.Their speeches are dust in the eye and not real appeal to freedom.It is exactly opposite.
Haley Grizzell
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The selection of speeches greatly improved as the book went on. The first quarter of the book or so was almost entirely devoted to religious figures or presidents, so the speeches were all very familiar. I particularly enjoyed the elegy for Princess Diana, and "The Perils of Indifference."
Keith Perena
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An impressive collection of speeches and back stories. I particularly like the ones from the 40's especially FDR's speech after the Pearl Harbor attacks, Molotov's electrifying speech regarding Operation Barbarossa,and Patton's "in-your-face" machismo towards Hitler.
Michelle
Each speech from Jesus Christ to Barrack Obama has a little history of the person and the reason behind the speech. Though I knew most of the people and their place in history, I had not heard or read most of the speeches. Very interesting.
Balaji
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Nice collection of all the great speeches around the world. This book is neutral and collects the greatest speeches all over the world. Some are awesome and others look fictional. Might be a nice try to read this.
Kinara Shah
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not even once in my life, I have doubted the power and influence of words. This book just strengthened it.
No matter what your age, you will find this book inspiring.
Though it could have been made more interesting. Minus one on the part of author.
P.S : This book is perfect for cold nights.
Josefine
You get it all. The background, the timeline, the speech. But I simply could not read it like a normal book. It was - I'm sorry - really boring. I will definitly keep it on my bookshelf, however, I will keep it as a schoolbook and read in it whenever i need specific information.
Erotic Horizon
Sep 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Speeches That Changed the World by Simon Sebag Montefiore (2006)
Simon
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking and worth reading again and again.
Yew Siang
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book collating SOME of the greatest speeches from the greatest/worst people in history. But some speeches are incomplete.
Tyler Bruns
Many of these speeches changed the world, quelled conflicts, or even started wards. Powerful thing, speech is.
Niall
Dec 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
A really interesting read, with something for everyone.
Whitney
May 05, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I love this sort of stuff, so this is right up my alley. But I wish it went back a little further and including things like Hammurabi's Code...
Noahmay
Jun 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent speeches. A great reference.
Chas Bayfield
All the expected speeches and a few unsuspected ones. An interesting read.
Samer Chidiac
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's always good to look back to the speeches that made us go through history. I loved the book as it made me travel in time and learn so much.
Pat Murphy
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gift from my daughters. You can imagine the content. Some of the speeches I had heard, some not. All very good though.
O carte istorică dintr-o altfel de persectivă 1 1 Jul 13, 2017 11:40AM
  • Contending Theories of International Relations: A Comprehensive Survey
  • A Very Short Introduction to Everything
  • History: The Definitive Visual Guide
  • Understanding the European Union: A Concise Introduction (European Union)
  • World War II: The Definitive Visual History: From Blitzkrieg to the Atom Bomb
  • Castro
  • Social Theory of International Politics
  • History of Britain & Ireland
  • Collected Poems of Thomas Hardy (Wordsworth Poetry) (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • Latin for All Occasions: From Cocktail-Party Banter to Climbing the Corporate Ladder to Online Dating-- Everything You'll Ever Need to Say in Perfect Latin
  • Scientific Wonders on Earth & in Space
  • Communism: A History
  • Theories of International Relations
  • Peace & War: A Theory of International Relations
  • Of Paradise and Power: America and Europe in the New World Order
  • العرب وإسرائيل شقاق أم وفاق
  • Universal Declaration of Human Rights
  • Power and Interdependence
Simon Sebag Montefiore is the author of the global bestsellers 'The Romanovs' and 'Jerusalem: the Biography,' 'Stalin: the Court of the Red Tsar' and Young Stalin and the novels Sashenka and One Night in Winter and "Red Sky at Noon." His books are published in 48 languages and are worldwide bestsellers. He has won prizes in both non-fiction and fiction. He read history at Gonville and Caius Colleg ...more
More about Simon Sebag Montefiore

$12.99 $1.99
  • Who Gets What — and Why: The New Economics of Matchmaking and Market Design
  • The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Trip to Echo Spring: On Writers and Drinking
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Paris Letters
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Secret History of the Mongol Queens: How the Daughters of Genghis Khan Rescued His Empire
  • Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation