Start by marking “The Complete Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Complete Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook

The Complete Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook

The worst of the worst, all in one place!

This deluxe desk reference includes the most popular scenarios from all 11 Worst-Case Scenario handbooks. Avoid the perils of:

• Mountain lions
• Blind dates
• Avalanches
• Teenage driving lessons
• Runaway golf carts
• Christmas turkeys on fire

A remedy for every crisis the worst-case experts have anticipated is now only a click away.
Published November 1st 2007 by Chronicle Books (first published April 1st 2001)

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook

Start your review of The Complete Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook
Sarah Jacquie
Hilarious, until some of the things you realize ACTUALLY scare you and could happen... then you start reading it a little more closer and seriously or you start smiling more at what they have included. My boyfriend got this for me for my birthday this year, after I was always talking about wanting to know "What if" type situations. "What would we do if we ran across a bear?" and other questions that scare you. You see the quiz type board game at certain stores and you smile and think its totally ...more
Michelle
a "greatest hits" sampler of the worst-case scenario books, this is pretty much the ideal waiting-in-line time-killer. in other words, download it for the e-reader program of your choice (this version was free/extremely cheap for kindle), and have it loaded up on your phone. when you're stuck in some waiting room or interminable line, you can dip into a couple of the short topics this book is arranged into. when it's your turn, you won't have a problem tearing yourself away from the brief little ...more
Jennifer Hughes
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was so enchanted when I flipped through this how-to book at the bookstore that I had to...request it from the library. There is so much helpful counsel (like how to survive a poisonous snake bite, important information here in the West) that is right alongside tips like how to determine if your date is an axe murderer, how to survive awkward elevator silence, and how to silence Christmas carolers. Everything is presented so matter-of-fact that I sometimes can't tell if I am supposed be ...more
Bianca
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book helps the reader handle a variety of situations correctly and calmly. If you are not faced with the problem right now and are just casually reading through this book, it makes for a very quick read. I liked that it offered solutions to problems I hadn't even thought about, like "How to Free Yourself From a Coat Hook" or "How to Survive Empty Nest Syndrome" and even "How to Free Your Fish if Stuck in Tank Decorations." While I probably may not remember most of this advice years down the ...more
Beckie
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
I got this book from a guy for my birthday. I was impressed mostly that a guy would even GET me a book for my birthday, let alone one who knew so little about me, And yet, this book couldn't have been a ore perfect present. I haven't read every single page yet but within the first 24 hours of owning this book I was with a friend who was struggling to open a beer bottle without an opener and I had FOUR different ways to help her get it open.

A lot of it is funny but there's really a lot of
Sarah Jane
Jan 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A very funny collection of survival tips from the "Worst Case.." series of books. The great surprise is how useful many of the tips can be. As long as you read it with a grain of salt and use your own common sense and judgement, this book may well just save your life one day (...but don't count on it)
Ulrik Høyer Kold
I learned how to survive with no oxygen while diving, how to survive crashland an aircraft, how to survive in a gunfight, how to swordfight, how to break into (my own!) car, how to take a leap from great heights, how to ...

This books is written with a hint of humour, but the advice and guidelines are completely serious. This is the Junior Woodchucks Guidebook for real life. Sorta :-)
Carolyn Page
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
HA. I picked this up in a TJ Maxx with my husband. "We're going to get this", I said. He was doubtful but then he started laughing out loud as he flipped through it. Called it.
Quora
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a very handy Survival Handbook, I finished it in one day just because I found it so interesting. But I'm glad I have it just because I may need to use one of these techniques one day.
Alina
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Complete Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook was given to me by a friend, and at first when I looked thru the pages of this book it looked like it is a collection of hilarious responses of how to get away from the amusing situation: How to not get eaten by a lion, How to avoid annoying coworker, How to survive a boring class... etc. However as I continue to read the guide, I surprisingly realized that it contains many valuable advices and can certainly be used in real life situations. It ...more
Glen
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really?

Okay again really? I enjoyed most scenarios but "How to Get Sand Out of a Swimsuit?" I guess this book is also aimed those without common sense, or perhaps they live in a desert?
Jean BUCQUET
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun

Humor is born from catastrophes. God too maybe. When everything goes wrong think twice and pray. Also help yourself first if you want to live. This book is funny and full of tips that can save your life.
David Pierce
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Thanks to this book, I am now qualified to be an action movie stunt man. Or maybe, a critic of the action movie genre. Anyway, it was a greatly entertaining read
Benjamin Uke
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: how-to
Did you ever want to know how to run down the top of a moving train?
If the answer is no, you are a sad human being.
My favorite 14th birthday present
Tony
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some good information here. A fun book to read
Paige Redwine
I placed this title on my "Books I Want To Read Someday" list years ago. I read the whole thing and didn't care for it. Yes, it details instructions for surviving things. I learned how to escape from a car that goes into a lake and other deadly situations. Some are certainly more far-fetched than others. I do realize much of the book is meant to entertain. One example is how to dress to cover up a beer belly. But in many scenarios in the book, the reader is encouraged to lie. The reader is given ...more
Marc Royston
If you're looking for a survival guide, this isn't it. If you're looking for coffee table amusement, then this will more suited to you.
Tyler Sanderville
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I read this helpful gist of a book I can imagine that the author's intention was to create a helpful guide kept interesting by a lot of varying scenarios whether serious (How to break into your own car), ridiculous (How to deal with escaped lobsters while cooking), and sometimes plain...interesting(How to deliver a baby in a taxicab).

It's a great book to skim through as some guides are more memorable than others, the only noticeable qualm I have is from the poison snake bite guide, it
Jim
Oct 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
It took too long for me to read this book. My interest waned as certain sections became a lot of work.

There are some very practical and helpful topics: How to survive a riptide; How to remove a tick; How to treat food poisoning.

There are some fun and interesting topics that most people secretly ponder sometime in their life: How to fend off a shark attack; How to land a plane; How to stop a car with no brakes.

There are some some ridiculous but fun topics treated: How to cross a pirhana-infested
Tushar
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Complete Worst Case Scenario Handbook - By Joshua Piven
Pgs - 502

I found this book extremely interesting, at the same time, humorous. It had scenarios that one could only hope to not be put in, as well as relatable ones.
Providing several strategies and tips, this book keeps you interested, with a smile on your face. From aggressive sharks to colleagues from hell, Piven tackles a plethora of issues, some that are highly improbable, and some that are commonly encountered in our everyday lives.
Jana Poe
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely hilarious. Not something that is meant to be read strait through, but every once in a while a passage or two never fails to crack me up. Now the practicality of it really just depends on whether you think you will ever find yourself in a pit of piranas or free falling in an elevator, or in various other unlikely but often hilarious situations that the author comes up with. It also makes a great gift.
Kristen
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was absolutely hilarious. I laughed out loud so many times while reading it. I think it would be a fun book to have around at a dinner party or other social gathering. I love that I now know how to escape from a collapsed sofa bed, drive down a flight of stairs, and determine the gender of my date, and so many, many other vital and critical know-how skills in tough situations.
Sharon
Nov 30, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is truly worst case scenario. So maybe most of these are so out there you'll never have to use them (and probably wouldn't remember what to do anyways) but that doesn't mean its not interesting to read about how to, say, jump from rooftop to rooftop or many of the other things it describes.
Greg
Jul 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
As an Eagle Scout, I'm totally into the whole "Be Prepared" thing, so this book was right up my alley. Regardless of how low the probability is that a person might face one of these worst-case scenarios, I feel better knowing the correct response to them. Just in case...

A must read for paranoid shut-ins and adventuresome folk alike.
Elf_owl
Dec 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, nonfiction
I really enjoyed reading this book. Some of the information was very useful, while some of the situations I am sure I will never get into (example: needing to escape from a giant octopus). This book is also great for entertaining your friends as you regale them with the tips that you read about.
Rich
Oct 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While there were a few serious worst-case scenarios, many of the cases are just plain silly. The book is as much a comedy as it is a serious attempt to deal with worst-case scenarios. It's a quick read, fun at times, and worth passing some time.
Brian
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
Amusing, and probably an occasionally handy reference tool. However, the selection of scenarios seemed a bit random, and, overall, it's not really funny enough to be considered "funny" nor routinely useful enough to be considered "reference." A fascinating idea, though.
Lindsay
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I've had this book sitting on my bookshelf for years (probably since it was published) so I thought it was time to read it. It does have a lot of helpful stuff in it, but some are just silly.
Cheryl
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Good advice, hilariously given.
Kaitlin
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Definiately cool to read!

• The Mathematics of Love: Patterns, Proofs, and the Search for the Ultimate Equation
  • Non-Obvious: How to Think Different, Curate Ideas & Predict The Future
  • Runaway Inequality: An Activist's Guide to Economic Justice
  • The Grid: Electrical Infrastructure for a New Era
  • Walkable City: How Downtown Can Save America, One Step at a Time
  • The Woman with a Worm in Her Head: And Other True Stories of Infectious Disease
  • Interviews with the Masters: A Companion to Robert Greene's Mastery
  • Photoshop Cs3 Bible [With CDROM]
  • Max Payne 3 Signature Series Guide
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Signature Series Guide
  • How to Day Trade for a Living: A Beginner's Guide to Trading Tools and Tactics, Money Management, Discipline and Trading Psychology
  • Kennedy's Last Stand: Eisenhower, UFOs, MJ-12 & JFK's Assassination
  • Assassin's Creed - Prima Official Game Guide
  • The U.S. Navy's Secret Space Program and Nordic Extraterrestrial Alliance
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 1: Power and Responsibility
  • The Atlanta Youth Murders and the Politics of Race
  • Antarctica's Hidden History: Corporate Foundations of Secret Space Programs
  • Eyes on the Prize: America's Civil Rights Years, 1954-1965
Josh Piven is a television writer and producer, speechwriter, playwright, and the author or co-author of more than twenty non-fiction and humor books, including the worldwide best-selling The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook series.

He wrote the teleplay and serves as producer of Don The Beekeeper, a half-hour children’s TV show about honeybees and urban beekeeping. His most recent stage play,