Start by marking “Addiction by Design: Machine Gambling in Las Vegas” as Want to Read:
Addiction by Design: Machine Gambling in Las Vegas

Addiction by Design: Machine Gambling in Las Vegas

Recent decades have seen a dramatic shift away from social forms of gambling played around roulette wheels and card tables to solitary gambling at electronic terminals. "Addiction by Design" takes readers into the intriguing world of machine gambling, an increasingly popular and absorbing form of play that blurs the line between human and machine, compulsion and control, r ...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Princeton University Press

To ask other readers questions about Addiction by Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Addiction by Design

Start your review of Addiction by Design: Machine Gambling in Las Vegas
Jen
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best, most engaging academic books I have read in a long time. I am an academic, and my field of study is addiction. Needless to say, this kind of writing is totally my bag. However, I didn't just enjoy this book because I am a total nerd for the subject matter. Schull is also just a really good writer. I found her text approachable and engaging. She has a really excellent sense of narrative and flow, and her organization is linear, thematically sound, and well organized. I al ...more
Em
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most fascinating books I've ever read. It had everything I love - architecture, design, psychology, business, public policy! I have no interest in gambling, so I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.

The book is thorough yet covers a lot of topics, including the environmental design of casinos, the design and ergonomics of machines, how electronic slot machines are mapped so it looks like the odds are better, why people gamble, the way games adapt to players, the massive amoun
Daniel
Jan 05, 2014 added it
In this book about how people who play video poker and slot machines play not for the reward of winning money, but for the reward of being able to play longer, there's list of preconditions for an activity that lets you get into the state of "flow" (which you sometimes achieve, for instance, when programming) where your sense of time fades along with your concern for the troubles of everyday life:
1. each moment of the activity must have a little goal
2. the rules for attaining that goal must be
Michael Hughes
Read about half and quit only because the information is, for me, of limited utility. Make no mistake, though: this is a dense and carefully researched ethnography, one written with a journalist's gift for storytelling. Very little jargon clouds Schull's prose, a rare thing in academic writing. Addiction by Design is recommended to anyone with an interest in the science of addiction and the ways profiteers manipulate the brain's reward system in order to separate people from their savings.
Benjamin Buckmaster
The most striking aspect of this book for me is brought up early and often in this volume: gambling addicts know they're going to lose. The incentives for the problem gambler have been assembled at the intersection of psychological disorder, product design, capitalist economics, and local regulation. The objective: increase the time on device for an addicted customer.

This interaction is the product of many defensible decisions, but has a devastating effect on the lives and finances of real peop
Konstantin Samoylov
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great overview of the gambling business and the addition it's thriving upon. Natasha shows how the gambling ecosystem is designed to create and develop the addiction. The book reflects a solid research work that Natasha conducted. All theses are backed up by examples. All examples are concrete, detailed and linked to the sources. That was a great read.
I've never thought how thoroughly casinos research and design all sides of the gambling experience. AB experiments, big data analysis, user segmen
Dan'l Danehy-oakes
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Though the main text is only 309 pages long, it took me nearly three weeks to read this volume on "Machine Gambling in Las Vegas". It is dense, and there are another 79 pages of feetnote, many of which sent me skittering to the bibliography.

Dense (in this case) does not translate as "boring" or "hard to read." It translates, rather, as "stop and think a lot", and "give your brain frequent rests."

So what is it about? It makes the following case, more or less:

1) Gaming machines encourage problema
Wilte
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Interesting and diverse look at video/slot machine gambling. I liked the psychological aspects on design the best, less so the ethnographic descriptions and the emphasis on addiction. I also felt the book could have been shorter/more concise.

Some tidbits:
"“It is not absurd to try diagnosing a civilization in terms of the games that are especially popular there,” he wrote in 1958. Caillois argued that one could make a cultural diagnosis by examining games’ combination of the following four elemen
Robert A
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Surprising, but quite academic book about gambling addiction to machines (slot machines). Slot machines make up a huge % (~90%) of casino revenues and so much goes into making them more addictive. The machines have gotten more and more computerized and everything has been done to keep people playing for as long as possible. People think that they have a better chance of winning than they really do (virtual reels & "near misses"). Many people use machine gambling as a way to escape life and its p ...more
Sam O’Brien
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An exhaustive look at an addiction you probably weren't aware of, and if you WERE aware of it you probably didn't know how complex it was. There is no stone left unturned in this book. You get to look at every aspect of machine gambling addiction, from the people who make em to the people who put em out to the people who use em. May slow down sometimes, but for the most part there's always a new piece of information that keeps you reading. After this, it's hard to look at slots the same way.
Mijael
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting investigation and dive into the gambling and casino's road to maximize revenue by using their customers/gamblers biases.
It's a perfect guide to understand how to make people addicted, hopefully in your case for a good purpose.

Sounds like the same methods Facebook, instagram, Netflix and other social networks are using to keep us hooked.

The author is sometimes repetitive in her examples, which makes the boom a little boring at times.
Jim
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
After reading this book it strikes me that many of the techniques used in Las Vegas machine gaming are so deceptive they should be illegal--virtual reel mapping, losses disguised as wins, and overproduction of "near misses" (Vegas permits 6X what would occur by chance in a fair game) all give players deceptively false information about their chances.
Joseph
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
An academic but very readable look at how machine design, data science, and casino architecture affect gamblers’ behavior. Personally, I’m not a gambler and, after reading this book, I’m even less likely to become one.
Niklas Laninge
A bit too long

I read it as a part of a research project. I found what i needed but after part one and two i lost interest in gambling and it got too caught up with anecdotes.
Tong
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Very good information, but with too many words...
Ietrio
May 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
A more sincere title would have been "Superstition by mediocre writing style."
Daniel  Potts
Insanely good. Observant, concise, erudite, and well organised. An extraordinary analysis of the nightmarish confluence of technology, capitalism, and addiction.
Aldo Biagini
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Good book that elaborates well on the many different facets involved in machine gambling and addiction. Sometimes it gets a little repetitive, though.

Overall, it's worth it.
Kevin Whitaker
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: behavior
Fun topic to read about, and some nice nuggets, but quite long given the subject and seemed pretty dated at this point -- would love to read an update.

Three things I learned:
1. A representative quote from a heavy gambler: “I’m not playing to win — I’m playing to keep playing, to stay in the ‘machine zone’ where nothing else matters.” (And most heavy gamblers understand the odds are stacked against them -- even machine technicians can be addicted.)
2. Casino design tips: Lighting should be stead
Arash
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone interested in users and designers of addictive systems
DJ Williams
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
written in a dry, academic tone that makes it a bit of a slog, but very informative. definitely worth a read if you're interested in the topic, but occasionally a bit painful.
Raakhi Chotai
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great great book. Highly recommend.
Pete Welter
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book looks that phenomenon of machine gambling and the addiction that can form to this type of gambling.

The gambling industry frames the addiction discussion entirely in terms of the users of its machines. Addiction or gambling to excess is an internal problem with the person using the machine, either because they are genetically predisposed towards addictive behaviors, or because they are undisciplined and irrational.

What Schill demonstrates here though, is that the machine designers and
Erhardt Graeff
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an amazing work of anthropology. The amount and quality of research poured into the author's study of machine gambling makes for a convincing account of how the casino and gambling machine industries continue to refine and perfect slot machines, video poker machines, and other electronic gambling devices in order to keep gamblers in their stools and feeding money into the machine. The odds are stacked against the average gambler in many ways beyond simply the random number generators pow ...more
Jeff
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
really enjoyed this book, really informative and didn't present the detail in a judgmental fashion. Data comes from a huge range of sources and presented in a balanced fashion. The consequences of pokies are pretty obvious even to those who are affected by them (but unable to stop)and this book details this but balances it with the recognition that people make these decisions themselves. The consequences of free choice and the market are discussed at length and this dynamic was the most fascinat ...more
Steven
Apr 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: big-people-books
Addiction by Design takes a deep dive into why slot machines hold such a tight grip over users. And tightly they do grip! The book begins with an account of a casino patron slumping over and having a heart attack. Fortunately, a quick intervention by the staff using an AED saves the patron's life. But, next to the victim, and throughout the frantic event, sits another patron, mechanically playing away at a slot machine, never moving out of the way or even flinching as the life of another hangs ...more
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book, extremely well-written with a deft writerly craft that incorporates interview and scholarly support for the argument in a way that makes reading effortless.

The primary theme is that it is wrong-headed to try to locate 'addiction' at some specific locus in the system of users, designers, casino owners, and technologies that are all required to make video gambling happen the way it does. Reducing the causal argument to something like brain chemistry, profit-seeking owner
Sue
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology, culture
The content of this book is fascinating. I don't know how many times I said, "Wow!" Slot machines bring in 85% of casino revenue. The design of both the casino space and the machine itself is targeted toward separating a gambler from his/her money. While slot machine players may get started because they're looking for the wins, the addicted players are looking for the "zone" -- that mental space where nothing else exists. Wins are not celebrated; wins just allow one to stay in the zone longer.

At
Ariadna73
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really interesting account on how the casino business has hired the best talent to keep their addicted clients glued to the machines and drain the last dollar out of them. Casinos are like rat traps. If you are vulnerable in any way, you enter them and then cannot get out. You will blow all your money and your dog's, and you won't be able to stop. Casinos are designed for that. They are designed to trap their victims. They are horrible places. I was in a casino once and all I saw was a group of ...more
Stuart
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Timely and profound. Timely, because 'America' is hooked on gambling in more ways than just video slots (I'm recalling 'betting on hunger') and more and more states are making it easier to participate. Profound, because I believe that in a generation we will label machine gambling as the first evidence of wide-spread brain hacking (unless maybe you count broadcast television). The whole way through I was thinking "Snow Crash".

Ms. Schüll takes us through the various levels the modern gaming/gambl

• Of Walking in Ice: Munich-Paris, 11/23 to 12/14, 1974
  • The Elephant in the Brain: Hidden Motives in Everyday Life
  • The Makioka Sisters
  • Fixing Failed States: A Framework for Rebuilding a Fractured World
  • Empress Orchid (Empress Orchid, #1)
  • Turing's Cathedral: The Origins of the Digital Universe
  • We Were All Someone Else Yesterday
  • The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2015 Bundle (Official Guide + Verbal Guide + Quantitative Guide)
  • The Poetry Pharmacy: Tried-and-True Prescriptions for the Mind, Heart and Soul
  • Invisible Ink: A Practical Guide to Building Stories That Resonate
  • Human Compatible: Artificial Intelligence and the Problem of Control
  • According to Doyle
  • Building People: Sunday Emails from a Chairman: 4
  • Unholy Trinity
Natasha Dow Schüll's graduated Summa Cum Laude from UC Berkeley’s Department of Anthropology in 1993 and returned to receive her Ph.D. in 2003. She held postdoctoral positions as a Robert Wood Johnson Health and Society Scholar at Columbia University’s Institute for Social and Economic Research and Policy and as a fellow at NYU’s International Center for Advanced Studies. She joined MIT's Program ...more

News & Interviews

“Csikszentmihalyi identified four “preconditions” of flow: first, each moment of the activity must have a little goal; second, the rules for attaining that goal must be clear; third, the activity must give immediate feedback so that one has certainty, from moment to moment, on where one stands; fourth, the tasks of the activity must be matched with operational skills, bestowing a sense of simultaneous control and challenge.” 1 likes
“they are charged with the task of governing their own tendencies while participating in activities designed to stimulate those tendencies.” 0 likes