Start by marking “City of Demons (City of Demons, #1)” as Want to Read:
City of Demons (City of Demons, #1)

City of Demons

(City of Demons #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  85 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Demons are invading the Midlands for the first time in centuries. The farmers have no defences against the murderous creatures. Swords in the hands of ordinary soldiers have no effect against demons, for the ability to resist a demon's power-a projection of paralyzing fear-cannot be taught. Garet's life is forever changed the night his Midlands family is attacked. Demonstr ...more
Published July 25th 2012 by Tyche Books Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about City of Demons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Demons

Rlbrown
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
For readers hoping to find an alternative to the young adult literary canon saturated by vampire love and magical witch schools, City of Demons by Kevin Harkness is a fantastic alternative. Through his meticulous character development and dark pragmatic imagery, booklovers will be demanding more from Harkness after turning the last page.

Please read the rest of my review at:

☕ Kimberly
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
City of Demons is an epic fantasy that takes us on one young man’s journey from the farmlands to the cities of Midland. Filled with demons, battles, political conflict, suspense and intrigue this is sure to enchant fantasy lovers. Harkness weaves a tale that will leave you breathless. I consumed this over the course of three evening and was sadden to see it end.

The tale begins when we meet Garet, he is a young sheep herder, who lives on a small farm with his family. He loves his mom and his litt
Patrick
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In all honesty, this is probably not a book that I would have picked up on my own based on the description. I came across it in the “Gods & Dragons: 8 Fantasy Novels” bundle and after reading it, I am glad that I did. So far all of the books in the bundle have been good, but “City of Demons” is one of my favorites. The story centers around Garet, a teenage boy raised on a poor, rural farm. He often day-dreams of one day escaping the mundane farm life, but he is not sure of how to accomplish ...more
Zel Polev
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Jay S
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
First off, I liked it. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but I was struck by the similarities of this book and the "Harry Potter" saga. 1) Both were growing up in an bad "environment" 2) They were saved by a stranger that offered them an opportunity at a school to train their powers 3) By their actions they saved the school and their friends. There were other similarities, but you get the idea. The plot was different enough it was original.

If you have read other reviews I have written, I focus
Colt
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. The world is really interesting and unique and you definitely get the feeling that there is a great deal more to learn about it.

The book follows Garet a young man whose life in the midlands hasn't been great until one day a demon attacks and everything changes. The next thing he knows he's headed to the great cities of the south to become a demonbane.

Overall, I really like Garet he's the kind of person who is always asking questions and trying to figure out why thi
Beverly
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A well written YA fantasy of a boy discovering his path to becoming the man his father was not while developing his skill as a demon killer.

The world building is enough to let you know the surroundings of the settings which are described well without being too wordy. The characters are nicely developed to lead you to care for the good guys and hate the bad guys. The plot moves steadily with both action and intrigue to keep the story moving and interesting.

This has an ending which could have made
Lori
Good first effort. A nice believable world with no magic, just dragons and demons. No vampires, wizards, elves, etc. The world is completely thought out, the plot makes sense, the characters act in a believable manner.

There's a little bit of polishing that the author needs to learn (transitions, when to give background) but overall quite enjoyable.

Good genre fiction = 3 stars
William Quest
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, ebooks
This is a very enjoyable book. The world is interesting, the characters are engaging and memorable and I enjoyed myself. It is a step away from the traditional Tolkinesque brand of fantasy and it brought a bit of fresh air. Not even the "demons" are what one may expect. I cannot wait to encounter the dragons of this world.
Sonja
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very faced paced, action filled storyline. Intricate and detailed characters and relationships. Will be reading more in this series.
Pat Flewwelling
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Harry Potter meets Ender's Game.
Kyra Dune
Aug 21, 2018
NovelBrah
Apr 07, 2015
Seishun Omutsu
rated it did not like it
Nov 16, 2016
Tyler
Nov 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

City of Demons (2 books)
  • City of Masks (City of Demons, #2)