Start by marking “Curious Behavior: Yawning, Laughing, Hiccupping, and Beyond” as Want to Read:
Curious Behavior: Yawning, Laughing, Hiccupping, and Beyond

Curious Behavior: Yawning, Laughing, Hiccupping, and Beyond

3.28  ·  Rating details ·  189 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Robert Provine boldly goes where other scientists seldom tread--in search of hiccups, coughs, yawns, sneezes, and other lowly, undignified human behaviors. Upon investigation, these instinctive acts bear the imprint of our evolutionary origins and can be uniquely valuable tools for understanding how the human brain works and what makes us different from other species.

Many
Published August 31st 2012 by Belknap Press

To ask other readers questions about Curious Behavior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curious Behavior

Deb
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
**Nothing to sneeze at. (Including the explanation of why we sneeze.)**

Now, how many other books out there have an entire chapter dedicated to farting and belching?

This book is truly one of a kind. In addition to farting and belching, other curious human behaviors such as yawning, laughing, hiccupping, coughing, tickling, itching, vomiting, crying, and tearing are explored like never before. A developmental neuroscientist, the author takes us on a tour of the evolutionary origins and communicati
Peter Mcloughlin
A potpourri of some of our automatic and overlooked quirks in human behavior. Yawning, laughing, crying, tearing, sneezing, hiccupping, expelling flatus, and a bit on behavior of fetuses. A lot of interesting factoids in this book for cocktail conversation and some insight into uniquely social and human aspects of ubiquitous behavior that is usually not noted. Most of this behavior that we dismiss as trivial does illustrate how deeply social our species is as a lot of it is used for signaling to ...more
Tony
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
CURIOUS BEHAVIOR. (2012). Robert R. Provine. ***.
The subtitle for this book by Professor Provine is: “Yawning, Laughing, Hiccupping, and Beyond.” Also included in this study are “farting” and “vomiting.” This should get the reader’s attention, aside from the fact that the book was published by Harvard University Press. Provine is a Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience at the University of Maryland. He conducts research in areas related to the above phenomena, and is probably pretty lonely at
Rock Angel
"both passing gas and speaking involve the expulsion of gas and vibration to produce a sound. Why, he asks, did we evolve to speak with one end of our digestive pathway, and not the other?"

And then there is the peril of exporting natural gas:

"The World Journal of Gastroenterology cited 20 colonic explosions reported in the medical literature from 1952 to 2006."

---
i read a snippet of excerpt and found his style awkward. Hence the i-aint-sure label

A fellow
Lee-ann
Oct 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
very dry, didn't finish
Susan Krich
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is not a book to read when you have five or ten minutes to spare. You need to concentrate on what you are reading.
The first few chapters are a bit hard to get through but the rest is a lot easier.
Keep with it.
There are some interesting facts and possibilities.
Lavinia
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The read was nice and funny here and there, but besides some dry statistics which were not really surprising it did not teach me much, nor did it stir any puzzling.
Book
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Curious Behavior: Yawning, Laughing, Hiccupping and Beyond by Robert R. Provine

“Curious Behavior" is an interesting yet incomplete pop-science book that covers our most curious behaviors. A mostly neglected area of science, this book covers the “other” familiar areas that are part of being human. Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Robert R. Provine has written a stimulating book on the everyday quirks of behavior. This 288-page book is compo
Cheryl
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ebook wnc - reading for the chapter on laughter as communication, as alluded to in an Edge question response by Provine ... extensive notes, references, and index enable a quicker-than-expected read...

Gosh the chapter on yawning took a long time to read.... ;)

Chimps can't talk because they don't have breath control - we who are bipedal have freed our breathing pattern from the sync. of our locomotion and can therefore laugh within one exhalation, instead of pant-laugh in sync. with our breathing
Christie
First sentence: "We humans are talkative, sociable, bipedal, tool-using mammals that Shakespeare found noble in reason and infinite in faculty."

In this book, Robert Provine investigates the neurobiology, evolutionary history, and humorous anecdotes of human behaviors that most people take for granted and do not discuss in polite society (sneezing, yawning, scratching, farting, vomiting, etc.). It is all presented in a way that is acceptable to the layperson and includes easy experiments that the
JQAdams
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it
As a series of chapters studying everyday behaviors*, this book provides a nice entrée into basic neuropsychology and, because many of the behaviors are contagious (yawning, vomiting) or inherently involve multiple people (tickling), social psychology as well. Provine is admirably willing to throw in technical language ("the motor output of the spinal cord via the ventral roots was not disturbed"), though mostly he tries to keep the tone light. Not aggressively light to the point where he's tryi ...more
Little
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'll admit that reading the chapter on yawning was a bit of a struggle. The whole "yawning" thing got to be a bit much. I also think it's easier to cry than to hiccough. My 2 year old can cry at will pretty easily, and I don't know anyone who can actually hiccough on command. That pettiness aside, Curious Behavior is an interesting read, and I love the irreverent tone of the book, espousing that science is for everyone and cheap experiments are as valuable as ones requiring fancy equipment. Prov ...more
Sehar  Moughal
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great read. Basic actions that we never think about are thoroughly explained integrated with past and current research. Anecdotal stories at the start of each chapter makes it more relatable and interesting. Each topic is discussed from an evolutionary point of view which puts everything in perspective. However, the discussion is limited and is understandable since not much thought/research is being given to the topics in question. Overall, Provine does a good job in getting the message across ...more
Ethan
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In the spirit of Rachel Carson, Provine uses a highly accessible writing style to tell people why they do the things they do. Unfortunately, Provine comes across as having a chip on his shoulder, emphasizing the importance and practicality of HIS type of research in almost every chapter. Ultimately, the book could use more continuity in style and content. Each chapter comes across as an abstract rather than an in-depth analysis. Focusing on one subject may be more effective.

It's generally an un
Donna
Dec 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
Normally I enjoy this sort of "science for the common man" type book. But this one didn't live up to my expectations. The prose was not compelling and the balance of science to interesting anecdote was too heavy on the science end. Interesting subject matter - just needed a better translator to make it a compelling read.
Cheryle
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Three stars for originality, two stars because my (admittedly unrealistic) expectations were not met. I still can't explain the phenomenons of contagious yawns, laughter or tears after having the topics explained to me by a professor of Psychology and Neuroscience.
It's not you, Dr. Provine, it's me.
Vicky
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to find this interesting, and I know he was trying to speak in layman's terms, but it just wasn't cutting it. The behavioural keyboard doesn't even make sense. The lower keys on a piano aren't harder to play, for crying out loud! This book might be fun for scientists to read but I tried really hard for 170 pages before I gave up.
Becky Roper
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
The author of this non-fiction book is a Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience. He tries to explain in plain language and with some humor, the strange goings-on we experience in our bodies. I learned a few interesting facts, but it wasn't necessarily worth the time it took to read. I was hoping for a little more physiology and a little less lame jokes and cartoons. Sigh.
Dan
Oct 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Uneven, but I suspect that most readers will find some parts very interesting and some not so compelling. I especially enjoyed the chapters discussing the psychophysiology of yawning and vomiting, and how could anyone resist the tale of Frenchman Joseph Pujol who was the most highly paid entertainer of his time, farting music at the Moulin Rouge?
Jeremy
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: qr-books-shelf
Curious behavior was a good book that indulged me on what causes, and the origins of behaviors like laughing, crying, and yawning (i.e. it is not to provide extra oxygen to the brain). If you want to know, read the book!
Ruska
Jul 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Loads of accessible brain fun. I wonder whar Provine might think about my friend, the hiccup-stopping equivalent of Rasputin... I feel like the farts were almost forced in between the more related behaviours - fortunately though. I laughed until I farted. This book turned me into a monkey. Thanks.
William
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Never has our coughing, tickling, itching, belching (and all else mentioned in the subtitle) been explored so nicely in one compact book. If not a page turner, it is at least easy to pick up and read at any particular point.
Alexi Parizeau
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There aren't many books that seriously investigate tickling, laughing, crying, etc. I really appreciated the science that was thrown at these behaviors, especially since so little is actually understood. But it's the last chapter on embryology that I loved the most. Very interesting stuff.
Nlb
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love how the book was formatted, and sectioned. The content was also very engaging. It made me reflect on my everyday habits, and others. It's a really good read, and can give your small talk game a bump.
Linda Rosenfeld magid
Well, sometimes reading reviews isn't such a good thing. I read a few that said it wasn't a great read so I didn't read much of it. I took it out of the library so I might read bits and pieces when I visit with my daughter.
kristin
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
This is really more of a 3.5. It is by no means a must-read, but it was very interesting especially if you like "sidewalk neuroscience (simple & cheap observations of everyday life that everyone can do)."

The best quote: "Sneezes are humbling."
Uyar
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
not a scientific book.. rather an entertainment imbedded with some findings from quoisi-scientific studies...
Jaki
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-books-read
The chapters on vomiting and itching were interesting, but the others seemed hobbled together and didn't illuminate much on the topic.
Dian Cronan
Feb 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
BORING! Not nearly as interesting as Mary Roach's books. It is full of jargon that most readers will not understand, even with a dictionary handy. It's much too technical.
Jennie
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Can be a bit dry as he goes into neuro-biological processes, but fascinating nonetheless!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Undead: Organ Harvesting, the Ice-Water Test, Beating Heart Cadavers--How Medicine Is Blurring the Line Between Life and Death
  • Sleep Paralysis: Night-mares, Nocebos, and the Mind-Body Connection (Studies in Medical Anthropology)
  • I See Rude People: One Woman's Battle to Beat Some Manners Into Impolite Society
  • Ode to Happiness
  • The Man with the Phantom Twin: Adventures in Neuroscience of the Human Brain
  • The Origin of Feces: What Excrement Tells Us about Evolution, Ecology, and a Sustainable Society
  • Internal Time: Chronotypes, Social Jet Lag, and Why You're So Tired
  • Pink Ribbons, Inc.: Breast Cancer and the Politics of Philanthropy
  • The Twenty-four Hour Mind: the Role of Sleep and Dreaming in Our Emotional Lives
  • The Universe Inside You: The Extreme Science of the Human Body From Quantum Theory to the Mysteries of the Brain
  • How to Good-Bye Depression: If You Constrict Anus 100 Times Everyday. Malarkey? or Effective Way?
  • Serial Killers: Being and Killing
  • Mirrors in the Brain: How Our Minds Share Actions and Emotions
  • The Power of Your Other Hand: A Course in Channeling the Inner Wisdom of the Right Brain
  • Every Twelve Seconds: Industrialized Slaughter and the Politics of Sight

• Just Another Kid
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free
    $8.73 $1.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99