Start by marking “The Great Pain Deception: Faulty Medical Advice Is Making Us Worse” as Want to Read:
The Great Pain Deception: Faulty Medical Advice Is Making Us Worse

The Great Pain Deception: Faulty Medical Advice Is Making Us Worse

Recipient of 2 awards in the 2012 International Book Award contest. The Great Pain Deception was awarded Runner-Up Finalist in "Best New Health Book" of 2012 and also honored as Finalist in "Health: Alternative Medicine."

Back pain, knee pain, shoulder pain, hand and foot pain, rarely come from herniated discs and joint failures. Pain, such as fibromyalgia, is a deception o
Published December 13th 2011 by Silver Cord Records, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Great Pain Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Pain Deception

Start your review of The Great Pain Deception: Faulty Medical Advice Is Making Us Worse
John Braine
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Does this book need a professional graphic designer?

I'm afraid this is one of the worst covers I've ever seen. It's not just the lack of professionalism in the design and typography but the imagery just screams "I'm a conspiracy nut!".

Does this book need a professional editor?

One example: I kept getting thrown by the switch from first person narrative to third person narrative. A paragraph would start talking about you, and then suddenly switch to she. This happened over and over. I t
Larry Hansen
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you are a believer in the mind-body unit and its control of health and emotions you will like this book. Very well researched and the author has a humor that runs throughout the book.
It takes an open mind to see the value of these ideas but many, myself included, have found the mind-body concept to be a life giver.
Lots is said about the power of the subconscious mind which is way under rated in our culture.
Kelly Martin
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In my late thirties I began a rather painful experience of back pain and back spasms and as someone who also has had anxiety since a young child I wanted to be able to heal from this condition. A friend had mentioned TMS to me some time ago, but back then I was not prepared to listen to him but I am now.

After reading Dr SARNO's book I wanted to know more. I found Dr Sarno's while thorough, a bit too technical for me, and was recommended this book on a forum on-line. Boy was I glad to read it.

St
Natasha
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb. Amazing. These two words should suffice but hopefully one day, maybe soon, I'll write a comprehensive review. I've just finished reading it and all I can say it's probably one of the 10 (or rather 5?) best non-fiction books I've ever read, and I'm a voracious reader. I think it says all.
Tina Davis
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book is life changing! It takes Dr. Sarno’s amazing work to the next level through real life stories about people just like me! What helped me the most was the detail of Steve’s journey. I wanted a quick fix by the end of Dr. Sarnos book. But after reading this, understanding I’m stage 4, a short step away from complete disability, I now see the path may be longer, but it is absolutely attainable! My experience so far has been eye opening as to how connected my “traveling” pains are to my em ...more
Nate
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Changed my life. Period. Not a lot of books I can say this about. I am walking with confidence and going up and down stairs and actually working, things that were dreams not all that long ago!
Bruce Jenkins
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was insightful for it helped me to know that the things we are exposed to truly affect us in ways we may not immediately understand. The mind body connection is real...
Adam Wesorick
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book was a little slow, especially when describing all of the authors ailments but the information is
priceless!
Sylvia Massara
Nov 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Being an enthusiast and follower of the latest in neuroscience and neuroplasticity and how emotions affect our health, I was really looking forward to reading this book from "the sufferer's" point of view, that being the author of this book. Unfortunately, I struggled to get to page 130, and I mean I really struggled. I would have given up much sooner, except that I always believe in giving the author a chance to put their point across; but I found this book to be a muddled hodgepodge of never-e ...more
Bakestar
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Okay, the writing is a bit goofy. But the point is to lighten up and not take everything so seriously.
If you suffer from any chronic pain or persistent, emotionally influenced conditions like IBS, CFS/ME, ulcers, rashes, psoriasis, anxiety, depression or even allergies, give this book a shot.

Also check out Nicole Sach's Youtube channel - she has a basic series of Heal Yourself 1-4 which will give you the gist of it.

Steve Ozanich also has a Youtube "wall of victory" which is inspiring.
Summer Larson
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been experiencing severe pain in my foot for about 6 weeks and this book was recommended by my mom and a friend (independently), neither of them knew exactly what was happening with my foot. I just finished reading this yesterday and it has been fascinating to observe what is happening in my body as I've absorbed this information. I typically reserve 5 stars for books that change my life and this one makes the cut. So, while this book is in dire need of a good editor, a graphic designer, ...more
Branan Dubh
Jan 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
I think this is the least useful book on this topic that I've looked at. It is scattered, sensationalistic and cluttered by the author's obsession with himself. Much better to grab a book by John Sarno, Howard Shubiner, Dr Schechter or David Clarke.
Rosalind
Long and highly repetitive, but this seems to have been deliberate so that the information will be continually processed. Even the puns starting wearing thin after a while...! Still, obviously well structured and informative.
Justin Hill
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Made a huge difference in resolving my back pain.
Andy rutter
Good chapter on his recovery story and you can take inspiration from this.

With regards to the rest of the book, it’s just information overload and too much to take in.
Denise Hlavka
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You have to read this if you have back pain or other non-damaged tissue pain etc.
Sylvia
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to get well? Just read it. Read it! THE best book I have ever read on the subject of pain, and what you can do about it.
Claire
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone with chronic pain or illness, along with John Sarno.
Óscar SP
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In my opinion the best TMS book
Da-ri-ko
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this book.
Sue
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life. I had read mind-body books before, but the author's guidelines for putting the knowledge into practice made all the difference.

I had, emphasize HAD, fibromyalgia for 12 years. With the help of my M.D. I was better than when first diagnosed, but not well. A diagnosis of Celiac prompted a change in diet to eliminate gluten, and I also am on an anti-inflammatory diet and follow a healthy lifestyle. But I was never totally well until I followed this book. My heating pad,
Mel
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found out about this book through an online TMS Structured Education Program that I participated in. Steve (the author) is a frequent visitor to the site and online program.

It follows the same MBS/TMS principal that Dr. Sarno is known for treating. I recommend reading some of Sarno's books before you delve into this. It is very dense and took me many weeks to get through. It is definitely a book that you can put down and come back to anytime. It's unique because it's a personal account, as St
Roslyn
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Still a 5 for me, despite some flaws (review coming).
Kimberlyn
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good information and great tips on implementing healthy practices.
Lisa Flood
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Divided Mind: The Epidemic of Mindbody Disorders
  • The Mindbody Prescription: Healing the Body, Healing the Pain
  • Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection
  • The Meaning of Truth: embrace your truth. create your life.
  • Dr. John Sarno's Top 10 Healing Discoveries
  • Unlearn Your Pain
  • They Can't Find Anything Wrong!: 7 Keys to Understanding, Treating, and Healing Stress Illness
  • Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Yourself
  • Molokai
  • Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma
  • Pain Free for Life: The 6-Week Cure for Chronic Pain--Without Surgery or Drugs
  • The Mind Body Workbook
  • Dare: The New Way to End Anxiety and Stop Panic Attacks Fast (+Bonus Audios)
  • Still Waters