Start by marking “Ten Mile River” as Want to Read:
Ten Mile River

Ten Mile River

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  188 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Best friends Ray and Jose are not your typical teenagers. They've escaped foster care and juvenile detention centers to live on their own together in an abandoned stationhouse in New York City's Ten Mile River Park. Ray and Jose are as close as brothers. But then they meet Trini, the smart, beautiful, and confident girl from their local barber shop, and they both fall for ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Turtleback Books (first published June 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Mile River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Mile River

Christian Pizzarelli
Christian Pizzarelli
3/27/15

For the third quarter, I read the book Ten Mile River by Paul Griffin.

There are two major characters: José, 15 and Ray, 14 are two street smart best friends who have survived foster care and juvenile detention together, and now hide out from their parole officers in a burned-out stationhouse in New York City's Ten Mile River park. They make their day’s pay by stealing, working occasionally, and trying to stay under police radar. The two boys have no parents and live by
Alicia
Nov 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban, male, abuse
I didn't like The Orange Houses, but was suprised to find out that this book was actually his first, and I really liked it! Two boys are surviving under the radar after skipping out on juvie and foster care by squatting in a place by Ten Mile River with their motley crew of dogs. When Raymond, the slower of the two, befriends a girl from a braid shop, she falls for Jose and the competition begins. Back and forth, they get into trouble, try to make things right again, while playing the roles simi ...more
Cheyla
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a quick read at only 187-or-so pages, fast enough to keep my attention even though it didn't have a definite plot. It was one of those books that makes you see the world a little differently, through the eyes of someone else for once. I wouldn't suggest it if you're looking for romance, or high-intensity plot. It was a book that warmed my heart and I think its a good read for teenagers. Teaches a little something about loyalty, about courage, and about making your own choices in life.

*Up
Karlan
Nov 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Two teen aged boys who met in a juvenile detention center live alone in park land near the Hudson River in NYC. Jose is the handsome leader and Ray the shy,smart and strong one. Ray's loyalty to Jose leads him to make mistakes and pass up opportunities to improve his life. It is a gritty, moving story with appropriately tough language.
Angela
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
So, gritty. So, real. Paul Griffin is a treasure. He changes lives. Every. Day. Recommended for the most reluctant urban reader, ages 13 & up.
STAY WITH ME is still my favorite, but this is an excellent novel for struggling teens.
Angela
Dec 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gritty urban YA. An excellent first novel. I cared so much for Ray by the end; I need a sequel!!
Mandy Peterson
This book is very popular in the high school library where I work. I've read all kinds of YA (it's my favorite), but I just could not get into this book. Perhaps it's because I was spoiled with books like "The Outsiders" and "Snitch". However, now I can talk to students about this book so it's worth something to them. Maybe I'll discover more about it through those conversations.
Shackldm
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a good book with a lot of detail included, I would say the book is a best fit for teenagers.
Lydia
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of unsatisfied with the ending. Doesn't feel like enough things were resolved.
babyhippoface
Young teens Jose and Ray, friends who met in "juvie", live on their own in New York City, squatting in an abandoned building and stealing food to survive. While they can rely on Miss Yolie, who runs a braid shop, to treat them with kindness, most of the adults the boys meet only seek to use them for personal gain. The owner of a body shop pays them to shatter windshields and eventually entices them to steal cars for him, promising big financial rewards.

Jose is a slick one, bold, handsome, and c
Dialouge 1 2 Sep 29, 2011 07:10PM
  • The Grave
  • Jumped In: What Gangs Taught Me about Violence, Drugs, Love, and Redemption
  • Comfort
  • The White Horse
Paul Griffin lives, writes, and trains dogs in New York City. His previous novel, The Orange Houses, was an ALA Best Book for Young Adults Top Ten, an International Reading Association 2010 Notable Book for a Global Society, a Chicago Public Library's Best of the Best Book of 2009, and an Amelia Bloomer Project Award winner.
More about Paul Griffin...