Start by marking “The American Revolution” as Want to Read:
The American Revolution

The American Revolution

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  144 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
From Lexington to Yorktown, this book covers the story of America's fight for independence in vivid detail. Lancaster brings the dilemmas faced by early Americans into sharp focus.
Published 1985 by Mariner Books (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The American Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The American Revolution

Dan
This was a good book for a breif overview of the Revolutionary War, with enough detail to keep interest but not so much as to weigh down the reader. While it does not meet todays standards to be considered a scholarly work, nuch of the work is supported by my limited reading of scholarly works on the subject.
My favorite quote comes near the end of the book where the author puts forth "... freedom, however won, is never static, must always be fought for."
Ron
Aug 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Concise, narrative summary of the American War of Independence almost exclusively focused on the combat.

A good read.
Steven Peterson
Nov 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid history of the American Revolution, written by Bruce Lancaster. The narrative begins with the background to Revolution. And, step by step, battle by battles, event by event, takes us through the time period. From the first conflicts to "The world turned upside down" at Yorktown, the literate history unfolds.

An example of the detail here. Chapter XII, focusing on Yorktown, begins with the French General Rochambeau's appearance in Rhode Island--with no one there to greet him on thi
Jim
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a good young adult book ( published in 1958! ) and I read it back in high school. I picked it up again while cleaning the basement and started reading through it again--to the end. It's a concise overview focusing on the combat and the leaders. Reading it again, it has impressed on me again how indispensable Washington was to the final victory of the United States. The British were no pushovers and perhaps at least 1/3 of Americans stayed loyal to the Crown ( with many more fence-sitter ...more
Nat
Oct 20, 2013 rated it liked it
As someone who was never officially taught the history of the American revolution as a teenager, I told myself I would read it up on my own. After my visit to Boston, the revolutionary cradle of America, I was fascinated by the ideals and the courage that the American people held onto in their fight for freedom.

I have to say that this book does an amazing job of articulating the important battles in the revolution. Though I have to admit I skimmed through a lot of them towards the end because t
Rebecca L. Snowe
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite, history
I love this book, it is one of my favorite! A great read and very informative about one of the best times to read about in our history this book was packed full of cool and unknown facts about that famous time period the American Revolution. This book is written very well and not boring or hard to keep up with like some historical books. A fantastic read for any American Revolution nut like me I highly recommend it to anyone. Five stars for being great and informative.
Meg
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Given that I am not much of a history buff, I was impressed that this book threw so many names, dates, and places my way, and yet I wasn't bored or overwhelmed. Bruce Lancaster did a nice job of covering the important aspects of the Revolutionary War without getting mired in too many details. His character descriptions of the key actors in the war brought them to life, and I liked how the leaders of the war felt like real people, rather than mere names on a page.
Richard
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very readable and comprehensive account of the 7 years of revolutionary war (that's right, that's how long it lasted!). A good supplement to the famous episode histories like "1776" and "Washington's Crossing".
Glenn Sullivan
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
More of a coffee table book I had around for years, but finally decided to read. It is one of the better coffee table books about the revolution I have every read. Lots of details, excellent artwork and a good full picture of the war and how it was won.
Chris
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is easily one of my favorite books, if not my favorite! An amazing story that Bruce Lancaster tells beautifully.
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 4 21 Mar 10, 2016 04:02PM
  • Redcoats and Rebels: The American Revolution Through British Eyes
  • A Struggle for Power: The American Revolution
  • The Winter Soldiers: The Battles for Trenton and Princeton
  • Slapped by the Invisible Hand: The Panic of 2007
  • The Whites of Their Eyes: Bunker Hill, the First American Army, and the Emergence of George Washington
  • General George Washington: A Military Life
  • If By Sea: The Forging of the American Navy--from the Revolution to the War of 1812
  • America: A Patriotic Primer
  • Liberty! The American Revolution
  • George Washington's War: The Saga of the American Revolution
  • Jefferson and the Rights of Man
  • A People's History of the American Revolution: How Common People Shaped the Fight for Independence
  • Barack Obama: Son of Promise, Child of Hope
  • All for the Union: The Civil War Diary & Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes
  • Wreck and Sinking of the Titanic: The Ocean's Greatest Disaster: A Graphic and Thrilling Account of the Sinking of the Greatest Floating Palace Ever Built Carrying Down to Watery Graves More Than 1,500 Souls
  • United Tweets of America: 50 State Birds, Their Stories, Their Glories
  • Henry VIII
  • An Honorable Defeat: The Last Days of the Confederate Government
Bruce Lancaster was born in Worcester, Massachusetts on August 22, 1896. He served in the U.S. Army along the Mexican border in 1916 and later in France. After the war he returned to school and received a B.A. from Harvard in 1918. He worked in administration and sales for nine years, after which he served in the U.S. Foreign Service as Vice-Consul to Kobe, Japan (1928-1932). Following his return ...more
More about Bruce Lancaster...