Start by marking “The Peacock Emporium” as Want to Read:
The Peacock Emporium

The Peacock Emporium

3.44  ·  Rating Details ·  3,069 Ratings  ·  271 Reviews
Athene Forster embraced the Sixties like few others. Nicknamed the Last Deb, she was spoiled, beautiful, and out of control. And within two years of her marriage, the rumours had begun again.

Thirty-five years on, Suzanna Peacock finds refuge from her mother's shameful legacy in her shop, the Peacock Emporium. Within its magical walls she discovers not just friendship, and
Published February 28th 2005 by Hodder and Stoughton (first published June 10th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Peacock Emporium, please sign up.

Virginia Schmadtke Guarino I thought that the first chapter tied the entire story together. It made the story come full circle.

(ツ) Hache
Jul 21, 2014 (ツ) Hache rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, jojo-moyes
I'm so relieved that I've finished this!
Of all the books I have read, I have never hated a character as much as I hated Suzanna

I feel like I should get a medal for making it through this. Any other author and I would have given up easily after the first couple chapters. I'm not an easy reader, I'm not one of those people that can finish a book in a day so its really a miracle that I slugged through this and finished it.

I would not recommend this to anyone who loves romances

My thoughts while re
LindyLouMac
Sep 03, 2009 LindyLouMac rated it it was ok
I did enjoy this eventually; it took for me an exceptionally long time to read, over a week. I found it very slow and it took me ages to feel involved enough in the story to want to read much more than a chapter at a time. The first few chapters are important as they introduce the reader to the history of the heroine’s family background. At the time this may seem irrelevant but persevere and read beyond this and it will all click into place.
The protagonist is Suzanna Peacock who with her husband
Kathryn
3.5★ There’s something about the word “emporium”, isn’t there? It hints at lushness and exotic goods.

The main character, Suzanna Peacock, was a bit of a prickly sort of person and a hard character to love, but I did feel sorry for her, with her difficulty in finding her “place” in life, and alienating those people who she most needed to draw toward her.

I also felt sorry for Vivi, with the thankless task she has done in running her household, the reward being that she was taken for granted by eve
Audrey Dry
Jul 29, 2016 Audrey Dry marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Lo siento mucho, pero ha sido imposible terminarlo. Y de veras lo he intentado. Comencé a leerlo con la esperanza de encontrar algo tan bien construido como "Yo antes de ti", pero... ni de lejos. Voy a intentar hacer esta reseña por partes, ya que hay varios puntos que quiero comentar:

Lo primero de todo es el comienzo del libro, el cual no tiene nada que ver con la sinopsis del libro. La sinopsis cuenta sobre una chica llamada Suzzana que abre una tienda y en la cual conoce la vida de los client
SarahC
Jan 10, 2011 SarahC rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-fiction
The Peacock Emporium tells of a woman in her 30s, with a troubled marriage, who returns to live in the small town of her origin. She and her husband are trying to come to terms with what they really want in life. And the decision to return home and live near Suzanna's family isnt an answer that gives her much confidence. Opening a small-town coffee and gift shop, The Peacock Emporium, is an attempt by Suzanna to make something she will be proud of.

Suzanna Peacock's life is also shadowed by a mot
MaryG2E
I was not sure what I was getting into when I started this book. By the end I was enchanted by the story.
In the Swinging Sixties, the glamorous spoilt socialite Athene appears to have it all, but she has a big fall from grace and disappears, leaving an infant daughter Suzanna. The daughter has fraught, complicated relationships with her remaining family, which has led to bad feelings and social distance between them. Suzanna eventually finds a kind of liberation in the shop that she opens in he
Amy Eddison
Oct 25, 2010 Amy Eddison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent description of how we are all affected by our upbringing. Suzanne has never felt she belonged with her family having always known that her Fathers love for the Mother who died when giving birth to her has made him resent her. His second wife who raised her and her brother and sister is her real Mother, but still she cannot understand how anyone can love her. Everything changes when she decides to make a go at doing something for herself- without the help of anyone in he ...more
Rachel
Nov 10, 2015 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found The Peacock Emporium to be slow and slightly uninteresting. The main character was selfish and I was unempathetic to her.
I was disappointed with this story as so far I have loved every book I have read of Jojo's, but I just felt that this fell below the mark; in my opinion the story line could have been more exciting and the characters more loveable.
Anne-Marie
Jun 06, 2015 Anne-Marie rated it really liked it
Another wonderful novel from Jojo Moyes. she has the perfect ability to keep you wanting more, not wanting the book to end. The main female character Suzanna was a bit annoying, however very real, as were the other characters. It contains heartbreak, love and tragedy, a great read.
Elizabeth Moffat
Mar 08, 2014 Elizabeth Moffat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After finding a new favourite author in the form of Jojo Moyes, I’m now on a mission to read everything she ever wrote and today’s review is on The Peacock Emporium, published in 2004. Similar to the previous book I read – Foreign Fruit, the story is set in two time frames, the first is in the 1960′s and deals mainly with the fortunes of the aristocratic Fairley-Hulmes family, when the young heir Douglas falls madly in love with a woman he meets at one of their famed parties. Always one to stand ...more
Nicole Jeffries
Dec 27, 2012 Nicole Jeffries rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry but after reading "The Last Letter from Your Lover," by Jojo Moyes I had high hopes for this book. I'm afraid I was disappointed.

I absolutely could not stand the main character. I found her annoying and depressing. Through out the entire book all you want to do is meet this main character just so you can tell her to grow up and stop complaining. Every time I would finish a chapter I felt like my life was just as crappy's as the main character. While Jojo Moyes does a great job in gett
Carinya Kappler
Nov 21, 2012 Carinya Kappler rated it really liked it
This author has an interesting knack of telling a convincing comprehensible story which skips to and fro between various time frames in the lives of the characters. As each chapter commences the reader is initially mystified about who is the subject and which era the events are taking place. However as the tale evolves, the mystery solves itself and the jigsaw of the lives of the characters takes shape.
The book is not unusual in its plot involving a multitude of human emotions and scarred relati
Karen ⊰✿
Nov 06, 2015 Karen ⊰✿ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: towerteamsiv
Another great character story from Jojo Moyes.
Although this one started out a little slow, and I had some difficulty initially with keeping track of the characters (I was listening to the very well narrated audio version), I was hooked and invested into the characters and keen to find out their stories.
The book took a few turns I was not expecting, but ultimately is a story of how family forms our self-belief and the seemingly simple decisions people make and the complexity of why they do so.
Kathryn
Jun 06, 2017 Kathryn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading this book on and off for months. It was readable but didn't grip me at all. I sort of wanted to know what happened at the end but not really. I have loved other JoJo Moyes books but sadly I didn't love this one.
Lainy
Aug 30, 2012 Lainy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time Taken To Read - 2.5 days

Blurb From Goodreads

In the Sixties, Athene Forster is the most glamorous girl of her generation. Nicknamed the Last Deb, she is also beautiful, spoilt and out of control. When she agrees to marry dashing young heir Douglas Fairley-Hulme her parents breathe a sigh of relief. But within two years rumours have begun to circulate about Athene's affair with a young salesman. Thirty five years on, Suzanna Peacock is struggling with her glamorous mother's legacy. At odds wi
Julie (73)
Jul 08, 2010 Julie (73) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-read, favorites
In the Sixties, Athene Forster is the most glamorous girl of her generation., she is also beautiful, spoilt and out of control. When she agrees to marry dashing young heir Douglas Fairley-Hulme her parents breathe a sigh of relief. But within two years rumours have begun to circulate about Athene's affair with a young salesman. Thirty five years on, Suzanna Peacock is struggling with her glamorous mother's legacy. The only place she finds comfort is in her shop, The Peacock Emporium, a coffee sh ...more
Brittany
Now it is no secret that I love Moyes, but this one was a struggle to get through. I was pretty close to DNF'ing. The Peacock Emporium is a small town, mutli generation family drama. The beginning third is pretty damn slow and boring. It did get a bit more interesting from that point on. But my main problem was pinpointed to Susan, the main character and her dead mom. Both are just selfish. It makes it so hard to relate to rich families and their trivial problems. Mostly because they are usually ...more
Susan Brown
May 22, 2013 Susan Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: books-i-own
Another amazing story from Jojo Moyes. Ms Moyes injects life into her characters in a way that no other author manages. Suzzana, a flawed and unhappy young woman, is haunted and moulded by her past despite the fact that she knows little about it. In searching for a way to live an authentic and happy life she opens her shop and stubbornly styles it following her heart. The shop becomes the catalyst for a new life and a new confidence for Suzzana. Be prepared to squirm a little as you see facets o ...more
Preethi Venugopala
A lovely family drama written beautifully. This is my second audio book and was just an amazing experience. Judith Boyd's narration brings to life the story and it plays like a movie. It has been my companion while travelling, cooking and other mindless household chores.
Suzanna Peacock and the people that populate her life, their sorrows, their little joys, their agonies, their mistakes, everything is painted by Jojo Moyes in a delightful manner.
In her characteristic style there is suspense, ra
Linda
May 20, 2015 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story. A little hard to get into at the beginning. I found it confusing with constant time changes. Suzanna was a dreadful woman. Spoiled and selfish.

Vivi was my favourite character and even though she was Douglas's second choice I was happy for her when she married him.

*Spoiler*!!
I don't know why Neil wasn't overjoyed when Suzanna left him. She hardly said a kind word to him throughout the entire story. I would have loved to have had a HEA for Neil.
*End of Spoiler*

I love Jojo Moyes w
penelopewanders
I've read other books by this author which I appreciated a lot more. The main problem here was yet again my issue with unpleasant main characters. Yes, she grows and becomes less self-absorbed, but so much of the book is focussed on an unhappy person. At the end she finally discovers more about her mother but what she learns (no spoilers please) only seems to go towards justifying the grandmother's attitude, as inexcusable as that is! Of course, the book reads well, but was not my favourite by t ...more
Aylavella
Jan 12, 2016 Aylavella rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Al principio de la novela no me acababa de convencer pero decidí darle una oportunidad. Y al final, no me ha disgustado, mejoró. Es una historia bien llevada aunque un poco pesada al principio, no le veía el interés por ningún lado y no veía la relación con la sinopsis. Luego si, luego ya sabemos el porqué de la intruducción.
En general, es entretenida, algo previsible, pero entretenida. Una historia romántica con alguna que otra trágedia.
Mya
May 29, 2015 Mya rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Not one of her best, but still an easy, interesting read. I thought the one topic (Jessie's story) was quite well developed and some of the other threads had flashes of what she would be like in her later books, but they still weren't quite 'strong' enough. I did also get a little confused in the first few chapters as there was some jumping around in time, but it got easier.
Flory
Mar 15, 2013 Flory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful book by Jojo, and one that included an argentinian guy, a lot of accurate descriptions of a difficult time for my country, and mate! My favorite drink.
This woman always makes me cry and leaves me with this ache in my heart, that I can't explain.
Donna
Jun 23, 2014 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the last one I was hesitant to pick up another. But this was a nice book. Not spectacular, like Me Before You, but just a nice read. I would recommend it to anyone who likes romances.
Anne-Marie
Mar 15, 2015 Anne-Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written with well rounded characters, another great read from Jojo Moyes.
The setting in two time frames works well, with great descriptions of the era.
Marion Dodson
May 13, 2014 Marion Dodson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so boring. I just couldn't finish. I didn't like the characters nor did I care what happened. Very disappointing since I have loved all of her other books.
Natalie
Jul 11, 2015 Natalie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just could not get into this book. I really wanted to like it, but it was much more melancholy than I wanted and I really hated the main character and well .... not for me.
Kim Loewen
I wanted to like this book but just couldn't get into it. Took me way too long to read it.
Victoria
Mar 25, 2017 Victoria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First, I am familiar with Jojo Moyes and have read almost all of her novels. Some of them I absolutely adore: Me Before You, Silver Bay, The Girl You Left Behind and The Ship of Brides, others I liked a bit less: The Last Letter from Your Lover, couple I didn’t like at all: Sheltering Rain and Foreign Fruit. Nevertheless, I like Jojo Moyes as a writer and read every book she publishes. Therefore, I was looking forward to read The Peacock Emporium, as soon as I saw it in a bookstore.

The novel ope
  • The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society
  • The Summer House
  • The Summer Guest
  • Le brave ragazze combinano guai
  • Tallie's Knight
  • The Day You Saved My Life
  • The Sisterhood
  • Falling for You
  • The Islands
  • Contele de Monte Cristo (Contele de Monte Cristo, #1)
  • Love and Marriage
  • The Children's Hour
  • In Love and War
  • Daughters
  • Every Vow You Break
  • The Girl From World's End
  • The Vienna Melody
  • First We Take Manhattan
Jojo Moyes is a British novelist.

Moyes studied at Royal Holloway, University of London. She won a bursary financed by The Independent newspaper to study journalism at City University and subsequently worked for The Independent for 10 years. In 2001 she became a full time novelist.

Moyes' novel Foreign Fruit won the Romantic Novelists' Association (RNA) Romantic Novel of the Year in 2004.

She is mar