Start by marking “The Passions of Chelsea Kane” as Want to Read:
The Passions of Chelsea Kane

The Passions of Chelsea Kane

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  1,375 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
An enthralling and unforgettable story of a woman’s search for her past, The Passions of Chelsea Kane is a beloved classic from New York Times bestselling author Barbara Delinsky.

After the death of her beloved adoptive mother, thirty-six-year-old Chelsea Kane is consumed by the need to learn the truth about her birth parents. Taking a break from her successful architecture
Published September 15th 2000 by Harper Torch (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Passions of Chelsea Kane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Passions of Chelsea Kane

Brooke
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is classic Barbara Delinsky book! It had a bit of mystery mixed in with human relationships and the complications of family. This was really a page turner for me and I was able to finish it really quickly. It is a romance fiction book with sexual situations and would not be suitable for teen readers. If you liked Suddenly and Together Alone I think you will really like this book.
Robin Byrd
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is one of those i couldnt put down. Barbara Delinsky is on the top of my list as best authors right now.
Judy
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a good book. Couln't put it down wondering what was going to happen next. Mystery with romance.
Beth Britnell
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it
I read this when it first came out and just re-read it. I find that I really like books that are old enough that the characters aren't using cell phones or computers. I think it means the author has to focus more on the content of the character's communicating with others, rather than how it is done. It seems to add depth to the story.
Chris
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I generally like her books and fell in love with some of the secondary characters. That's a good sign. This was an engaging read.
Di
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this last year and remember loving it but I forget the plot.....hmmm guess i will have to read it again.
Ada Iaboni
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
I heard the abridged version of this book.
Although I understand that a lot is lost while abridged, this book did nit stir up a lot of emotion from me. It was okay. It was a good distraction.
Kelli Morton
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an intriguing book. I liked that it was a good mystery amidst the romance. Some of the romance was a bit too graphic for me :)
Rachel Brand
I find myself continually surprised by Barbara Delinsky's older novels. While I think she really found her voice in the early Noughties, some of the sagas from the Nineties are still definitely worth the read, if not quite up to the standards of her more recent books. Despite figuring out who Chelsea's parents were pretty early on in the novel - and who Hunter was in relation to her - I still really enjoyed listening to this book and regretted having to turn it off once the housework was done. T ...more
Beth Pearson
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-had-sex
This book quickly drew me in. I enjoyed the character of Chelsea and the many passions she had. The passion to find her birth parents, hold on to her adoptive parents, prove her worth to the town that rejected her, be successful in the business world, and find someone to love and accept her as she was. The secondary characters were interesting and there was a lot going on in this book. I recommend it to anyone that likes long romance stories with more going on than just romance. There was even a ...more
Joan
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-on-cd
Jamie Duncan
Jun 01, 2008 rated it liked it
I learned that a good book can quickly turn into a book full of unnecessary gratuitous sexual description fast. I was really enjoying the story and interested in the outcome, when all of the sudden at just about half way in, it became a book about descriptions of Chelsea's sex capades.

I was disappointed, because it truly was a good story. But one thing I noticed, there is a difference between reading about "love" and "romance" than reading about descriptive sex. This book made sex seem like it
Denise
Written in the 1990's, this book is a bit dated in some of its information. That being said, it was an interesting story about hidden identity coming to light after many years. As others have indicated, I figured out who the biological parents of Chelsea Cain were pretty quickly. The story does give a good overview of small town life and the moral constraints of the 1950's, the time when I figure the author has her main character born. This book was a bit melodramatic at times, but not horribly. ...more
Sherry
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Years ago, after two abusive relationships, I realized that I had stopped reading romance or any books with romance in them. I didn't like thinking that I'd lost such a vital part of myself to a couple of jerks, so I took my oldest daughter to the book store and we searched for a book (or books) that might help me find that missing part of myself again. After much searching, I bought THE PASSIONS OF CHELSEA KANE. I've read it several times since then, and it remains one of my all-time favorites ...more
Louise
Mar 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-s-fiction
More fantastic reading from Delinsky!!!

From back cover:
"After the death of her adoptive mother, thirty-six-year-old Chelsea Kane is consumed by the need to uncover her biological heritage. Taking a break from her successful architecture career, she travels to the New Hampshire town where she was born, determined to learn the truth, her only clue a tarnished silver key.

One of her first discoveries, however, is something quite unexpected: the irresistibly attractive Judd Street. Buoyed by love and
Misha
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book about 15 years ago (maybe more)and I have been desperately trying to find this book. Funny thing is, I didn't remember the author, the title, the name of the characters or the plot. All I remembered was something about a granite company. It took me almost 2 weeks of intense googling, but I finally found it. I'm sure my mother still has her paperback copy. I plan to reread it very soon!
Melody
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Used to devour Barbara Delinsky books, but hadn't read them in years. I was not disappointed. I enjoyed this book. The development of her characters, the story line - all well done. Read it quickly for pure enjoyment. Looking forward to picking up another one.

Yes I figured out the whodunit long before she exposed the villain, but I still finished the book as I wanted to see how she would reveal the true villain.
Janet O
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Chelsea Kane is a smart woman who needs to make a big change in her life. I liked the story. I did not like the way men treated her. They were mean. Her father was mean. They treated her like she was stupid and not worthy. And what bothers me is the book isn't about how she is treated. In fact the author often writes strong, mean, stubborn, unlikable men characters. Ms Delinsky's male characters need to be a little nicer.
Natalya
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
A great fluid read, must have been written in one sitting, its so easy to read. Everything comes together too neatly in the end, when the baddies are very bad (a la Nora Roberts), but I am a sucker for happy endings so I didn't mind. What I did love was Chelsea's spunky character, where she takes on so much despite the obvious obstacles and given where she is coming from psychologically. Delinsky at one of her best.
K Kelley
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Got it as a light summer read from my lovely M-I-L Laura...man the sex scenes made me blush knowing it was her book! Not my usual read but was perfect to read while I was recovering from emergency surgery; it required little thought, was easy to get into, good character development. But was also predictable w/stereotypical characters, and although it was meant to be a mystery/love story it was so easy to guess who, what and where.
Jen
Jul 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Barbara Delinsky spent much time building up certain story lines and character conflicts only to quickly resolve some of them in the end. She also had strange transitions between one scene and the next. Instead of completing ending the scene with a few spaces, she awkwardly tried to merge them together. All-in-all, a good read... much more romance than I usually prefer but entertaining and page turning.
Celine
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
For the most part the book was good but there were too many unnecessary sex scenes and a story she told in over 500 pages, she could have told in 300 pages. It took her way too long to get to the gist of what the story was about, who Chelsea's Mom and Dad really were. The story had too much extraneous material.
Abi_88
Apr 04, 2011 rated it liked it
I read this book years ago. I was 17. What I remember the most about the story is the characters. The jump out of the pages and there's many of them.I prefer writers that take time to develop their characters and this is exactly what delinski does best. Her story telling is very realistic and insightful.
Jen
Nov 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Chelsea grew up knowing she was adopted. At the age of 37, when her adopted mother dies, she is given a key postmarked from Norwich Notch giving her a clue into her past. There Chelsea's story develops as she becomes a partner in Plum Granite, meets Donna Plum Farr, Hunter Love and Judd Streeter. A story about love and mysterious happenings.
Jeanne
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the characters and the plot. There is a bit of a mystery in the life of Chelsea Kane, an independent, successful woman who goes after what she wants and gets it. There's romance among the mystery with an interesting twist. This book had an ending that, I must admit, took me by surprise.
Becca
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it
My grandmother insisted I take this book to read on a recent plane trip - after I told her I finished the book I intended to read on the first of six flights I had for a trip home. This is definitely not the genre or type of book I read or typically enjoy, but I was somewhat surprised by the interesting character and plot development. The references to Baltimore are nice, too.
Becky
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Barbara Delinsky is one of my favorite authors. I was looking for audiobooks to listen to in the evenings while my hubby watches TV. I know I read this one years ago, but only remembered small parts of the plot. It is an older novel - before email and cell phones - but it held my interest. A good winter escapist novel.
Elisabeth
Jul 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Elisabeth by: Carla
Shelves: 2010-reread
Read originally in 1994 - 1995 and stayed with me. Managed to buy a used copy in 2010 and loved it as much before. The love story between Judd and Chelsea was lovely but Hunter Love definitely made this book. A keeper.
BookDigger
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
An EXCELLENT novel. I have read it many times over and still can't get enough of it. Judd Streeter is an unforgettable character who will make you yearn for the man of your dreams and Chelsea Kane is a woman you will hope to become. Excellent tear-jerker and heart shaper.
Karyn
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish this book. I have really enjoyed some of Barbara Delinsky's books, but this wasn't one of them. I think I prefer her books that lean more toward her sociology bent rather romance. This was definitely more on the romance side of things.
  • The Courtship of Carol Sommars
  • Mountain Rescue (Echo Mountain #1)
  • Tangled Vines
  • Separate Beds
  • Her Stolen Past (Family Reunions #3)
  • Rocky Coast Romance (Holiday Harbor #1)
  • Here and Now
  • Out of Hiding
  • The Secret Hour
  • Played (Deception Series, #2)
  • A Widow Redefined
  • Such Devoted Sisters
  • The Bailey Chronicles
  • A Simple Spring (Seasons of Lancaster #2)
  • About Face
  • Any Wicked Thing
  • Moon Dance (Enright, #3)
  • Love, Lies and a Double Shot of Deception
I was born and raised in suburban Boston. My mother’s death, when I was eight, was the defining event of a childhood that was otherwise ordinary. I took piano lessons and flute lessons. I took ballroom dancing lessons. I went to summer camp through my fifteenth year (in Maine, which explains the setting of so many of my stories), then spent my sixteenth summer learning to type and to drive (two sk ...more
More about Barbara Delinsky...

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)
  • Promise Me
  • The Wedding Pearls
    $4.99 $2.00
  • For Every Solution, A Problem
  • Friction
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fountain Of Secrets (Relic Seekers, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Royal Affair (Royals in Exile, #2)
  • Through the Smoke
  • Finding Bliss
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Rose Garden
    $16.99 $2.99
  • Frozen
  • She Has Your Eyes
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed by His Charm (Dirty Little Secrets, #4)