Start by marking “Lost Arts: A Cook's Guide to Making Vinegar, Curing Olives, Crafting Fresh Goat Cheese and Simple Mustards, Baking Bread and Growing Herbs” as Want to Read:

Hand-cured olives, home-baked bread, fresh goat cheese: Before Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, the only way to enjoy these pure and simple flavors was to make them the old-fashioned way-by hand. This charming little guide will teach you how to blend your own mustards, crush grapes for wine, bottle vinegar at home, and more. Sure, you can buy these things at the neighborhood ...more
Published February 1st 1995 by Ten Speed Pr

To ask other readers questions about Lost Arts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Arts

Stephen
Cooks sort neatly into those who value the ease and speed of using prepared foods and those who value more making foods "from scratch." Each tends to think the other a bit daft. Lynn Alley is a child of the Sixties, perhaps even an ageing hippie, who speaks reverently of Alice Waters, Sahag Avedisian and Alice Medrich. She finds a special joy in recapturing the peasant crafts of food preservation which have been lost to most modern Americans. The revised and expanded edition of her 1995 book lea ...more
Heidi
Mar 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book covers making or preserving
Olives
Herbs
Mustard
Vinegar
Goat Cheese
Bread
Flavored butters and oil
Preserves (low and sugar free jams)
Wine

The chapter on Herbs had great info on growing them and the conditions that they need. The mustard Chapter was something I had never thought of but now want to give a try. The vinegars were all made from wines. The goat cheese is a little beyond me right now. Bread I already do. I skipped the rest.
It was an interesting book, and helped me to see that I rea
Mathew Carruthers
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good how-to book for different culinary techniques, though truthfully, I'll probably never use most of them. Maybe I'll try and make my own mustard or vinegar some day, just probably not any time soon. I doubt I'll ever try to cure my own olives, but it was still an interesting and informative read.
Molly
Dec 11, 2008 rated it liked it
I've had this book in my collection for many years. I've used her ideas for vinegar and cheese making, and have just recently completed my first batch of home cured olives. This reads more like narrative non-fic, rather than recipe listings.
Aileen
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to keep on hand in the kitchen. Good eating, growing and preserving tips. I especially like that it's written in such a fun informing and casual way.
Becky Christensen
Nov 03, 2011
Ann
rated it did not like it
Dec 27, 2013
Lynn Alley began her career as a cooking teacher at a middle school, where she and her students gained fame for selling handmade, gourmet items at Neiman Marcus. Since then, she has taught the art of cooking throughout the United States and France. Lynn has written for the San Diego Union Tribune, the Los Angeles Times, Fine Cooking, and many other publications.