Start by marking “Energy of Delusion: A Book on Plot” as Want to Read:
Energy of Delusion: A Book on Plot

Energy of Delusion: A Book on Plot

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Conflating a biography and a criticism of Tolstoy, Shklovsky uses this great author to make a case for a revolutionary way of reading and appreciating literature.
Published September 1st 2007 by Dalkey Archive Press (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Energy of Delusion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Energy of Delusion

Buck
Apr 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: russians
At a street fair last summer, I saw this awesome routine where a female acrobat leaped onto her partner’s shoulders and then, one by one, carefully planted her feet on top of his shaved head. Balancing herself there, she proceeded to juggle machetes and flaming torches while keeping up a steady flow of stage patter. For his part, the man remained stoically immobile. The only signs of strain he showed were a slight tremor in his corded neck and a slow drip of sweat from his chin.

Lame as it is, th
Janet
Jul 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Good God, the top of my head's coming off. Shklovsky was one of the world's great literary critics, a Futurist theorist and writes like an angel--not typical academic criticism, this uses the tools of poetry, of memoir and essay and fiction--I'm missing some of the background, but ideas are POPPING!

DAMN I had to take it back to the library. More TK
Joseph W.D. Nicolello
Dec 26, 2014 marked it as to-read
Cannot get the ball rolling. Oddly, I like everything about this book and sought it out with great expectations. Glad to know of Shklovsky and may even pick this back up over the summer or something. After the fifth or six setting aside I have also noticed a strange pattern:

Each time I plop myself down into my easy chair to get back to Energy, there is much commotion in this quiet abode. As quiet as New York gets, to be honest. There are several doors within this compound, one natrually connecti
Bamcquern
Feb 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Autobiographical, novelistic, sometimes epigrammatic criticism. Great style. Very different from Theory of Prose, the only early work of criticism I have of his.
Dusan Milosevic
Aug 23, 2012
Robert Johanson
Mar 24, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Viktor Borisovich Shklovsky (or Shklovskii; Russian: Виктор Борисович Шкловский; 24 January [O.S. 12 January] 1893 – 6 December 1984) was a Russian and Soviet literary theorist, critic, writer, and pamphleteer. ...more
More about Victor Shklovsky...