Start by marking “Scripts: Elegant Lettering from Design's Golden Age” as Want to Read:
Scripts: Elegant Lettering from Design's Golden Age

Scripts: Elegant Lettering from Design's Golden Age

Seen in everything from wedding invitations and birth announcements to IOUs, menus, and diplomas, script typefaces impart elegance and sophistication to a broad variety of texts. Scripts never go out of style, and the hundreds of inventive examples here are sure to inspire today's designers.

Derived from handwriting, these are typefaces that are stylized to
suggest, imply, o
Published November 12th 2012 by Thames Hudson (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Scripts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scripts

Ellen
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-and-design
When I was little I developed a fascination with Holy Cards. I collected them like my brother collected baseball cards. Looking back I realize now it was more an indication of my obsession with design rather than a study of the saints. Everything about them was beautiful to me, especially the type setting on the back. How I longed to write with that kind of delicate flourish.

What's the point of this story? None other than this book is a collection of script typefaces and is almost as beautiful
Rebecca
This book is seriously beautiful, and unlike Just My Type: A Book about Fonts, almost 100% visual. I know scripts and fonts are not quite the same thing, but this would be a great gift for anyone who likes either, or just plain eye candy and ads from another era.
Christine Neo
Great reference for anyone interested in typography and graphic design in general. I'm an illustrator interested in hand lettering and calligraphy, and this book has come in handy. Even though the collection is made up of mostly sources from the past century, it is not difficult to adapt them for contemporary use.
Anne
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book for anyone who loves type, design and calligraphy. So inspiring and lovely to flip through or study . This is a great book to set out on your coffee table and enjoy! would make a beautiful gift. it certainly made me more aware of looking at all the print, signage, type, labelling, and advertising I come across in my daily life. Loved, loved, loved it!
Greta
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
This book was pure eye candy if you are a font enthusiast, if you enjoy lovely design, handwriting and vintage products and especially if you're fascinated by various cultures' (French, British, German, Italian, American) versions of those things.
Jane
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lots of eye candy! Not only the scripts, but also the gorgeous ephemera they're printed on.
Jocelin
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
There is nothing more perfect than the beautiful swirl of elegant script. This is a lost art form that will probably not exist in the next few years, except on computer fonts. It is such a shame.
Camello
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best calligraphy reference books I own which I keep coming back to.
Eling
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, reference
Not a ton of information here, but what there is is great, and the photos/illustrations more than make up for it. Amazing collection of lettering & vintage ephemera. Gorgeous. I will be returning to this often.
Penny
This is such a beautifully designed book. Its giving me a lot of inspiration for calligraphy ideas
RW Press
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful collection of script typography. Great for those days when inspiration is lacking.
Sam
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As advertised in terms of quality and depth.
Daniella
Craig M
Jul 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Elegantissima: The Design and Typography of Louise Fili
  • Type: A Visual History of Typefaces and Graphic Styles (Volume 1, 1628-1900)
  • Sign Painters
  • Little Book of Lettering
  • Logo, Font & Lettering Bible: A Comprehensive Guide to the Design, Construction and Usage of Alphabets and Symbols
  • The Anatomy of Type
  • The Art of Calligraphy: A Practical Guide to the Skills and Techniques
  • In Progress: See Inside a Lettering Artist's Sketchbook and Process, from Pencil to Vector
  • A Map of the World According to Illustrators and Storytellers
  • The Complete Manual of Typography
  • Penguin by Design: A Cover Story 1935-2005
  • By Its Cover: Modern American Book Cover Design
  • Typographie =: Typography
Steven Heller writes a monthly column on graphic design books for The New York Times Book Review and is co-chair of MFA Design at the School of Visual Arts. He has written more than 100 books on graphic design, illustration and political art, including Paul Rand, Merz to Emigre and Beyond: Avant Garde Magazine Design of the Twentieth Century, Design Literacy: Understanding Graphic Design Second Ed ...more