Start by marking “Flowering and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Flowering and Other Stories

Read Excerpt

Flowering and Other Stories

Flowering is a collection of stories built around the themes of loss, social disruption, mistaken judgment and stumbling redemption. From a shoplifting sociopathic genius to a card-dealing witch offering a mystical experience at the blackjack tables to a harsh drunk who turns out to be a malignant-yet chillingly accurate-soothsayer, the story's lead characters are complex ...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by AuthorMike Ink

To ask other readers questions about Flowering and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flowering and Other Stories

Start your review of Flowering and Other Stories
Michelle
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Zoe Tribley
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
First, let me say that I won a copy of "Flowering and Other Stories" through Goodreads First Reads which i am very thankful for. this is a bit overdue but anyways. i really was not disappointed with this book, it was very well written and complex though each story had my adoration. i loved the characters and Tom Bentley, may i just say, your awesome.
Yasaman
Jul 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Very diverse and interesting characters, This book reminded me of the literary works that I used to study and analyse in college. I think that I could study it in my English class. However, I don't recommend this book to people that only want to read entertaining stories.
IndieHeart
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Often in a book of short stories, I enjoy one or two of the stories a great deal and find the rest just okay or even boring. Mr Bentley's collection gets a 4.5 from me---I found the majority of the stories to be very good reads indeed. I enjoyed that the stories, while framed around a small set of themes (loss and the consequences of poor choices being the primary elements), were set in a number of different time frames and different physical/cultural settings. Although many of the stories ended ...more
Bonnie Hudon
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love short stories, this collection was especially enjoyable for a number of reasons.
1. No typos ... I hate having to figure out what someone is saying, in this day of "spellchecker", it's unforgivable
2. Grammatically correct - for the reasons listed above
3. Tom Bentley has an amazing imagination ... he covers a diverse subject area and the endings were not predictable and I like the unpredictable
4. Since I travel for my job, short stories are perfect for me, I can usually finish one before g
Cecilia
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads

First, let me say that I won a copy of "Flowering and Other Stories" through Goodreads First Reads. (For which I am very thankful.)

'Flowering and Other Stories' is a collection of short stories with various settings and themes. There is enough of a variety that most people will find at least one story that appeals to them. There is even a cute little children’s story.

Tom Bentley has a very vivid and picturesque way of writing. (Picturesque is my word for it.) I was easily drawn into each sto
Trebor
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bentley is a super smart and funny writer, and what I like about him is that he writes about real people with real problems. But there is always the essential humor that comes up as well so that indeed, one remembers that life is sad and funny more than anything else. There is a nice breadth to this collection, with widely varied characters and subject matter.
E.D. Martin
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this collection before reading it, or even while reading it. The stories twist and ramble, but all that does is pull you further in. While all the characters are different - mannerisms, motivations, backgrounds, etc - they're all real and relatable. Definitely an interesting read.
Judy
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: good-read-wins
Another good reads win. The endings often had surprising twists so you cant predict what is going to happen. Every story was good and I didnt skip any of them.
cheryl
Stephanie Cook
Marilyn
Vex
Jun 03, 2012
Hello. I hope this doesn't sound like a laundry list (and a soiled one at that) of me, me, me, but: I’ve run a writing and editing business out of my house for many years.

I've published hundreds of freelance pieces—ranging from first-person essays to travel pieces to more journalistic subjects—in newspapers, magazines, and online. (Venues include Forbes, Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Writer’s Digest,