Start by marking “The Nightmare (Joona Linna, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Nightmare (Joona Linna, #2)

The Nightmare

(Joona Linna #2)

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  15,166 ratings  ·  1,125 reviews
"Kepler provides a master class in noir."—The Boston Globe

A drowned young woman is discovered on an abandoned pleasure boat drifting by the Stockholm archipelago---strangely, her clothes are dry. The next day in Stockholm, a man turns up dead, hanging from a lamp hook inside his completely bare apartment---but how could he have hung himself with no furniture to climb upon?
Published January 29th 2013 by Picador (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Nightmare, please sign up.

·  15,166 ratings  ·  1,125 reviews

Jayson
(B+) 77% | Good
Notes: As before, the dust jacket hook is incidental and fleeting, purely a gateway and device to a less compelling main plot.
Chelsea Humphrey
I think I did myself a disservice by reading The Sandman before starting this series from the beginning. Clearly this is no one's fault but my own, and truly is just personal preference, but I will say that it wasn't anything to do with the quality of writing or the translation that had me give a middle of the road rating. I had the privilege of picking up the updated translation, and I'm told it is a massive improvement from the original english translation done, although I haven't read both to ...more
Lalaluya
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a message regarding Stef's review, which sadly is the first review and has five likes. Firstly, Penelope (the girl in the first 21, not 30, pages) is not the protagonist, that point of view was merely to give an insight on the character, character depth if you will. If Stef had continued reading she would've realised that Joona Linna was the actual protagonist. Secondly it is quite disparaging how she gives it one star because of merely twenty one pages in comparison to the whole book, a ...more
Gary
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd book in the Joona Linna series by the husband and wife writers that publish under the name Lars Kepler. I have read most of the books in this series and found them to be of a consistently high standard. This one is up there with the others and is an excellent addition to the series, a good plot and well paced with excellent characters.
A young woman is found drifting around the coast, her lungs are full of water but there are no other signs of water in her abandoned boat or even
Carol
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
This 500 page book could have been at least 200 pages shorter. The main story about people involved in arms deals, was surrounded by several unnecessary side stories. I enjoyed the previous Lars Keplar book, The Hypnotist. This one was difficult to get into and a disappointment.
Luís C.
We do not let go of the book easily even if the track is long and where the main characters come out incredibly. The plot is sufficiently conducted not to know what the reasons are and which is at the origin of all these murders.
The murders are strange, and disrupt more than one policeman except Inspector Joona Linna who quickly understands that he is not dealing with a criminal. We find ourselves caught up in an important political traffic.
BAM The Bibliomaniac
On hold
I’m not finding this very interesting
Lisa
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
This was my first read of Lars Kepler the husband & wife team set in Sweden i enjoyed it at the beginning but toward the end was a little drawn out had unnecessary dialogue which could have been settled in half the book, but that is just my opinion.

I enjoyed the character of Joona Linna thought he was strong & did his job well i have the Hypnotist on my kindle just hope that one is not as dragged out at this one was.
Richard
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is the second book in a developing series based around hard hitting cop Joona Linna. Basically it is one long thrilling experience from the first page. Reminiscent of a James Bond movie this is a novel on a really large scale with not a page wasted as this writing duo take you on a journey of threat, brutal chases and hand to hand conflict. It has action throughout balanced by involved characterisation. It is a mystery you will enjoy reading and a story that will captivate you based around ...more
kenzimone
Feb 09, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one. Stay away. Stay far, far away.
I made it approximately thirty pages into this one, and I just... can't. I can't read any more.

The whole thing reads like a mediocre self-insert fanfiction, and the protagonist is the most hateful one I've ever come across; the first chapter describes a televised debate between a peace activist and a weapons manufacturer, with the manufacturer pwning the activist quite severely, and I was really amused until horrendous realization began to dawn and I understood exactly which one of the two was t
Christa
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
No where near as good as The Hypnotist. Disappointing. :(
K.
I've seen this book sitting on the shelf at work over the course of the past year, and every time I've seen it, I've thought "..........why does a high school library have a book that looks that creepy?" So when I noticed it AGAIN this past week, I figured I should probably read it and decide whether or not it's something that we need in the collection.

I had pretty high hopes going into this one. I'm in the mood for thrillers, and Scandinavian crime novels usually deliver. But there was just so
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
MUCH better than the first book! The plot was linear and cohesive; you felt like you were in the same story from the beginning to end. The addition of Saga Bauer is a great character, and there were some open-ended things (like did Peter not re-load the gun on purpose?)that left you hanging and wondering about the balance of things at the end of the book. The chapters are short and tight and this is a good thriller.

The downside for me is still that Joona Linna isn't that interesting a character.
Ti.Me
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
2nd in the Joona Linna series, The Nightmare is pretty intense. I had to take several breaks to lighten up with podcasts and sports, etc...

I'm feeling so into Joona and company that my next read is number 3 in the same series.

A solid 4 stars.
Todd Simpson
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a fantastic story. After reading the first book in this series ‘The Hypnotist’ and being blown away by how good it was, I was keen to read this second book. I wasn’t disappointed, as both Authors have done an amazing job in writing non-stop and unpredictable story. I love Joona Linna as the main character, he stands out from the other detectives with his unique ability in seeing thing that the others can’t. His fighting skills and self-defence are another stand out in each book.
Joona
Matt
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kepler returns with another sadistic thriller, placing Detective Inspector Joona Linna in a place of greater prominence. What do a woman found drowned on the dock of a pleasure ship left adrift and a man left hanging in his barren apartment have in common? Leave it to Linna to find the link and vow to bring the killer(s) to justice. Working with the rest of the National Criminal Investigation Division, Linna links his investigation with Saga Bauer from the Säpo's Security division (presumably pa ...more
Gary
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maja Ingrid
I'm actually quite enjoying these books!
Kat Dietrich
The Nightmare by Lars Kepler is the 2nd in the Detective Joona Linna series.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Series Background (Warning – May contain spoilers from previous books):
Homicide Detective Joona Linna works for the National Criminal Investigation Department in Sweden. His father was a policeman who was killed on the j
Toni Osborne
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 2, in the Detective Inspector Joona Linna series

This is another nail-biting mystery with chase after chase and tense situation that keeps coming at every pages or so. This second complex installment looks into two bizarre deaths, one being of Carl Palmcrona, the general director of the National inspectorate of Strategic Products overseeing military exports found hanged at his home and the other of Penelope Fernandez found dead on a drifting boat.

And voilà, Linna detective extraordinaire is
Dimitris Passas
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent crime/thriller, written by a truly talented duo of Swedish authors, Alexander Ahndoril and Alexandra Coelho Ahndoril who are considered to be one of the brightest representatives of the 'Nordic Noir' genre. ''The Nightmare'' is the second installment in the magnificent Joona Linna book series, with the protagonist being a Finnish super-detective working in Stockholm police, and his background story, which unfolds slowly in the first three books in the series, is stigmatized ...more
Pedro Silva Dias
Another great book by the Lars Kepler team. Like the first one, its an easy to read adventure full of violence, mystery and blood. Although I'm not a fan of political matters, it covers a very problematic reality that threatens the world stability which makes this book not so fictitious after all. The work is also full of music, which is something that truly interests me, so I found a great amount of terms and names that made the book so familiar to me.
Laura Rash
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This was much better than the first in the series. Faster paced and some very exciting and tense moments. Still a bit longer than necessary but I wonder if the translation is adding to the length.
Michael Martz
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
'The Nightmare', 2nd in the Joona Linna series, is an excellent example of procedural police work except for 3 things: it's too damn long, the ending is too 'made for the movies'-like, and it depends too much on the non-linear thinking of Linna. Other than that, it's a great mystery with a good plot and unspectacular writing (it's a translation, so it gets a pass on that).

In a nutshell, here's the outline of the plot..... A woman is found dead on a boat drifting in a bay, yet she's upright in a
Donna Hines
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Two deaths only days apart in strange circumstances that lead to nowhere without many clues to build upon.
As Joona Linna is attached to the case he uncovers more than he bargained because this may just be the beginning of Pandora's box.
We are not dealing with an ordinary killer if there exist such a thing.
Were these deaths accidental, suicides, or something deeper and more elaborate such as an execution style murder?
Penelope the young lady we are introduced to brings us up to date on the charact
Jo
I passed on reading the first book in this series when it appeared because there was a large pair of bloody scissors on the cover. Even though this one features a knife, I decided to plunge in. The detective, Joona Linna, a Finn living in Sweden (and male) is a fun character.

Reviews of this book describe is as "noir" and I suppose it is a bit. As of now, I have gone back to read "The Hypnotist", scissors and all, as well as the third book in the series, "The Fire Witness". (Bloody hammer on the
Debbie
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! I loved it every bit as much as The Hypnotist, and now I completely understand why it was on the Good Reads "Best of 2011" list.

Lars Kepler does a fantastic job of weaving an intricate web of suspense, intrigue, danger, and precarious circumstances to make even the most casual reader want to sit down and read this book in one sitting.

Every one of the characters is fully fleshed out, and the book reads like a miniseries would look. You see them, walk with them, and can use all
Gloria Feit
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It must be somewhat of a nightmare for an author to sit down and contemplate how to create a follow-up novel to one as successful as The Hypnotist. But that is exactly what faced the team writing under the nom de plume Lars Kepler. So they wrote “The Nightmare,” in which they again feature the Finnish-born protagonist, Swedish Detective Inspector Joona Linna.

The novel is not only a fast-paced procedural, but an action-filled suspense story. The plot centers on the corruption of the system by the
Alexis
Feb 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-finished
I hate to review books I didn't actually finish. Unfortunately, I gave up after 150 pages, because I gave up hope of getting into it. The writing (or possibly the translation) is very awkward--for some reason, the use of the present tense with a 3rd person omniscient point of view kept grating in a way I can't quite describe. After 150 pages of a thriller, I should feel like I've gotten some kind of mystery to get my teeth into. Instead, I'm treated to 3 page chapters that don't add up to anythi ...more

• Autumn Killing
  • The Disappeared (Fredrika Bergman & Alex Recht, #3)
  • The Black Path (Rebecka Martinsson, #3)
  • Blessed Are Those Who Thirst (Hanne Wilhelmsen #2)
  • Dark Secrets (Sebastian Bergman, #1)
  • Pierced (Henning Juul, #2)
  • Flickan med snö i håret (Hagfors, #1)
  • Blodläge (The Öland Quartet #3)
  • Skuld
  • Am Abend des Mordes
  • Misterioso (A-gruppen, #1)
  • Lucifer's Tears (Inspector Kari Vaara, #2)
  • The Inner Circle (Anders Knutas, #3)
Lars Kepler is the pseudonym of critically acclaimed husband and wife team Alexander Ahndoril and Alexandra Coelho Ahndoril, authors of the No. 1 internationally bestselling Joona Linna series. With seven installments to date, the series has sold 13 million copies in 40 languages. The Ahndorils were both established writers before they adopted the pen name Lars Kepler, and have each published seve ...more

Joona Linna (7 books)
  • The Hypnotist (Joona Linna, #1)
  • Eldvittnet (Joona Linna, #3)
  • The Sandman (Joona Linna, #4)
  • Stalker (Joona Linna, #5)
  • Kaninjägaren (Joona Linna, #6)
  • Lazarus (Joona Linna, #7)