Start by marking “The Nightmare (Joona Linna, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Nightmare (Joona Linna, #2)

The Nightmare (Joona Linna #2)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  12,760 Ratings  ·  956 Reviews
"Kepler provides a master class in noir."—The Boston Globe

A drowned young woman is discovered on an abandoned pleasure boat drifting by the Stockholm archipelago---strangely, her clothes are dry. The next day in Stockholm, a man turns up dead, hanging from a lamp hook inside his completely bare apartment---but how could he have hung himself with no furniture to climb upon?
Published January 29th 2013 by Picador USA (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Nightmare, please sign up.

Jayson
(B+) 77% | Good
Notes: As before, the dust jacket hook is incidental and fleeting, purely a gateway and device to a less compelling main plot.
Chelsea Humphrey
I think I did myself a disservice by reading The Sandman before starting this series from the beginning. Clearly this is no one's fault but my own, and truly is just personal preference, but I will say that it wasn't anything to do with the quality of writing or the translation that had me give a middle of the road rating. I had the privilege of picking up the updated translation, and I'm told it is a massive improvement from the original english translation done, although I haven't read both to ...more
Lalaluya
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a message regarding Stef's review, which sadly is the first review and has five likes. Firstly, Penelope (the girl in the first 21, not 30, pages) is not the protagonist, that point of view was merely to give an insight on the character, character depth if you will. If Stef had continued reading she would've realised that Joona Linna was the actual protagonist. Secondly it is quite disparaging how she gives it one star because of merely twenty one pages in comparison to the whole book, a ...more
Vaso
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
Πάει καιρός από όταν διάβασα τον Υπνωτιστή και είχα σχεδόν ξεχάσει τη γραφή του Lars Kepler. Το συμβόλαιο του Παγκανίνι, ξεκινάει γρήγορα, με αρκετούς εμπλεκόμενους, είτε πρόσωπα είτε δολοφονίες, που σε κρατά σε εγρήγορση καθόλη τη διάρκεια της ανάγνωσης. Από τη στιγμή που ανακαλύπτεται το πτώμα της Βιόλας, μαθαίνουμε για την αυτοκτονία του Παλμκρόνα και στη συνέχεια παρακολουθούμε με κομμένη την ανάσα,την προσπάθεια της Πενέλοπε να αποφύγει το διώκτη της και να παραμείνει ζωντανή. Νέα πρόσωπα, ...more
Gary
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd book in the Joona Linna series by the husband and wife writers that publish under the name Lars Kepler. I have read most of the books in this series and found them to be of a consistently high standard. This one is up there with the others and is an excellent addition to the series, a good plot and well paced with excellent characters.
A young woman is found drifting around the coast, her lungs are full of water but there are no other signs of water in her abandoned boat or even
Luís C.
We do not let go of the book easily even if the track is long and where the main characters come out incredibly. The plot is sufficiently conducted not to know what the reasons are and which is at the origin of all these murders.
The murders are strange, and disrupt more than one policeman except Inspector Joona Linna who quickly understands that he is not dealing with a criminal. We find ourselves caught up in an important political traffic.
Carol
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
This 500 page book could have been at least 200 pages shorter. The main story about people involved in arms deals, was surrounded by several unnecessary side stories. I enjoyed the previous Lars Keplar book, The Hypnotist. This one was difficult to get into and a disappointment.
Morana Mazor
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prvo Hipnotizer, pa sad ovo...Kepler (tj. bračni par Ahndoril) definitivno zauzima visoko mjesto na mojoj listi pisaca trilera. Odlična priča, ovaj puta ulazi u sam vrh švedske politike (izvoz oružja), napeta radnja; zaista s iščekivanjem okrećeš stranice i pratiš razvoj događaja... I još jedan (potpuno subjektivan) detalj zbog kojeg mi je ova knjiga izvrsna, je to što se tijekom cijele knjige provlači muzika, a od muzike najčešće, moj omiljeni David Bowie ... Tako da sam nekoliko puta, tijekom, ...more
Cat
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Afinal não tardou muito para que voltasse Lars Kepler e ao seu Joona Linna. E ainda o li em dois dias...

Ainda não posso dizer que Linna tenha conseguido garantir um lugar no meu coração, ao contrário de umas quantas personagens femininas que o rodeiam, mas admito que me agrada sempre o livro que se leia bem, que não seja chato.

E 'chato' não é um adjetivo que se aplique a este livro, carregado de cenas de acção. Ao contrário d'O Hipnotista, que tinha umas partes um bocado arrastadas, n'O Executor
kenzimone
Feb 09, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one. Stay away. Stay far, far away.
I made it approximately thirty pages into this one, and I just... can't. I can't read any more.

The whole thing reads like a mediocre self-insert fanfiction, and the protagonist is the most hateful one I've ever come across; the first chapter describes a televised debate between a peace activist and a weapons manufacturer, with the manufacturer pwning the activist quite severely, and I was really amused until horrendous realization began to dawn and I understood exactly which one of the two was t
K.
I've seen this book sitting on the shelf at work over the course of the past year, and every time I've seen it, I've thought "..........why does a high school library have a book that looks that creepy?" So when I noticed it AGAIN this past week, I figured I should probably read it and decide whether or not it's something that we need in the collection.

I had pretty high hopes going into this one. I'm in the mood for thrillers, and Scandinavian crime novels usually deliver. But there was just so
Lisa
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
This was my first read of Lars Kepler the husband & wife team set in Sweden i enjoyed it at the beginning but toward the end was a little drawn out had unnecessary dialogue which could have been settled in half the book, but that is just my opinion.

I enjoyed the character of Joona Linna thought he was strong & did his job well i have the Hypnotist on my kindle just hope that one is not as dragged out at this one was.
Justė
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-own
svajonė ar košmaras

Vadinti šiuos autorius Stieg Larson įpėdiniais yra labai stipru. Štai jau antrą jų knygą iš serijos apie Joną Liną perskaičiau ir nors įspūdis šiek tiek geresnis nei Hipnozuotojo, vis tiek detektyvas jis labai vidutiniškas.

Šį kartą viskas buvo gerokai nuosekliau, nebebuvo išvis nesisiejančių nusikaltimų, nereikšmingų neištikimybės dramų ir panašių dalykų. Nors aišku kaip dieną, kad autoriai labai mėgsta per prievartą į siužetą sukišti visokiausias vaikystės ir praeities traum
Gary
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richard
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is the second book in a developing series based around hard hitting cop Joona Linna. Basically it is one long thrilling experience from the first page. Reminiscent of a James Bond movie this is a novel on a really large scale with not a page wasted as this writing duo take you on a journey of threat, brutal chases and hand to hand conflict. It has action throughout balanced by involved characterisation. It is a mystery you will enjoy reading and a story that will captivate you based around ...more
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
MUCH better than the first book! The plot was linear and cohesive; you felt like you were in the same story from the beginning to end. The addition of Saga Bauer is a great character, and there were some open-ended things (like did Peter not re-load the gun on purpose?)that left you hanging and wondering about the balance of things at the end of the book. The chapters are short and tight and this is a good thriller.

The downside for me is still that Joona Linna isn't that interesting a character.
Christa
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
No where near as good as The Hypnotist. Disappointing. :(
Todd Simpson
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a fantastic story. After reading the first book in this series ‘The Hypnotist’ and being blown away by how good it was, I was keen to read this second book. I wasn’t disappointed, as both Authors have done an amazing job in writing non-stop and unpredictable story. I love Joona Linna as the main character, he stands out from the other detectives with his unique ability in seeing thing that the others can’t. His fighting skills and self-defence are another stand out in each book.
Joona
Mohikanos
Καλογραμμένο αστυνομικό μυθιστόρημα, με σφιχτή δομή, το οποίο εστιάζει στον βρώμικο (υπο)κοσμο της (νόμιμης ή παράνομης) πώλησης όπλων, κυρίως σε χώρες που βρίσκονται σε εμπόλεμη κατάσταση, όπου ξεδιπλώνεται το διπλό και ύπουλο παιχνίδι που παίζεται στις πλάτες αθώων ανθρώπων και άμαχου πληθυσμού.
Εντούτοις το βιβλίο δεν περιέχει στοιχεία ψυχολογικού θρίλερ οπως ο "Υπνωτιστής", ούτε το σασπένς και την αγωνία του, ούτε όμως και την κορύφωση στο τέλος του, στοιχεία που - κατά την άποψή μου - δεν επ
Rita
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Estou triste e ao mesmo tempo chateada com esta dupla de escritores.

Passei de umas magníficas 5 estrelas do primeiro livro, O Hipnotista, para 2 estrelas com este segundo livro. Fiquei desiludida.

Os capítulos mais interessantes envolvem a fuga de duas personagens numa ilha do arquipélado de Estocolmo. São realmente de tirar o fôlego e senti que vivi aqueles momentos de pânico com ambos. O problema é que estes capítulos e esta sensação que me fizeram sentir, duraram pouco.

A história não me deixou
Matt
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kepler returns with another sadistic thriller, placing Detective Inspector Joona Linna in a place of greater prominence. What do a woman found drowned on the dock of a pleasure ship left adrift and a man left hanging in his barren apartment have in common? Leave it to Linna to find the link and vow to bring the killer(s) to justice. Working with the rest of the National Criminal Investigation Division, Linna links his investigation with Saga Bauer from the Säpo's Security division (presumably pa ...more
Tereeeza
Jsem na rozpacích, už u Hypnotizéra jsem byla.. Autoři píší čtivě, to bez debat, za mě ale nějak pokulhává děj a to se snažím nesrovnávat s ostatním severem. Joona Linna je sympaťák, mám pro tyhle detektivy nějak slabost, jen mě v prvním díle zklamalo, kam se ubíral děj a tady mě celkově nějak nevtáhnul a do dalších dílů mě láká hlavně ta detektivova linka, o čem se to tam na konci mluvilo a o čem poměrně často dumal.
Ale jako odpočinková četba to svůj účel splňuje, jen čekám, že mě to víc odzbro
Donna Hines
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Two deaths only days apart in strange circumstances that lead to nowhere without many clues to build upon.
As Joona Linna is attached to the case he uncovers more than he bargained because this may just be the beginning of Pandora's box.
We are not dealing with an ordinary killer if there exist such a thing.
Were these deaths accidental, suicides, or something deeper and more elaborate such as an execution style murder?
Penelope the young lady we are introduced to brings us up to date on the charact
Vilius
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller
Patiko labiau nei Hipnotizuotojas, bet vistiek kažko teūksta. Netempia nei iki Nesbo, nei tuo labiau iki Stieg Larson knygų, su kuriomis yra lyginama.
Rita
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emprestaram-me
4,5 em breve farei opinião no canal ^^
Toni Osborne
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 2, in the Detective Inspector Joona Linna series

This is another nail-biting mystery with chase after chase and tense situation that keeps coming at every pages or so. This second complex installment looks into two bizarre deaths, one being of Carl Palmcrona, the general director of the National inspectorate of Strategic Products overseeing military exports found hanged at his home and the other of Penelope Fernandez found dead on a drifting boat.

And voilà, Linna detective extraordinaire is
Monika Zbínová
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mne ten Joona Lina skrátka nesedí. Dala som 4 hviezdy, ale za celkový dojem, bavilo ma to čítať. Detektívne série založené na hlavnej postave poznám ale aj lepšie. Okolo Keplera je skrátka „veľa kriku pre nič“.
Dimitris Passas
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent crime/thriller, written by a truly talented duo of Swedish authors, Alexander Ahndoril and Alexandra Coelho Ahndoril who are considered to be one of the brightest representatives of the 'Nordic Noir' genre. ''The Nightmare'' is the second installment in the magnificent Joona Linna book series, with the protagonist being a Finnish super-detective working in Stockholm police, and his background story, which unfolds slowly in the first three books in the series, is stigmatized ...more
  • Summer Death
  • Pierced (Henning Juul, #2)
  • The Black Path (Rebecka Martinsson, #3)
  • Dark Secrets (Sebastian Bergman, #1)
  • Silenced (Fredrika Bergman and Alex Recht, #2)
  • Blessed Are Those Who Thirst (Hanne Wilhelmsen #2)
  • Blodläge (The Öland Quartet #3)
  • Flickan med snö i håret (Hagfors, #1)
  • Hour of the Wolf (Inspector Van Veeteren #7)
  • Dregs (William Wisting #6)
  • Änglamakerskan (Patrik Hedström, #8)
  • Flaskepost fra P (Afdeling Q, #3)
  • Bad Blood (Intercrime, #2)
Lars Kepler is the pseudonym of critically acclaimed husband and wife team Alexander Ahndoril and Alexandra Coelho Ahndoril, authors of the No. 1 internationally bestselling Joona Linna series. With six installments to date, the series has sold twelve million copies in 40 languages. The Ahndorils were both established writers before they adopted the pen name Lars Kepler, and have each published se ...more
More about Lars Kepler

Joona Linna (7 books)
  • The Hypnotist (Joona Linna, #1)
  • Eldvittnet (Joona Linna, #3)
  • The Sandman (Joona Linna, #4)
  • Stalker (Joona Linna, #5)
  • Kaninjägaren (Joona Linna, #6)
  • Lazarus (Joona Linna, #7)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
  • Horrorstör
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1)
  • The Sound of Rain
  • Since We Fell
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Monkey's Raincoat (Elvis Cole, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
  • The Secret Mother