Start by marking “Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!: Poems for Two Voices” as Want to Read:
Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!: Poems for Two Voices

Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!: Poems for Two Voices

A honeybee and a bumblebee have a chat.
A rose offers a worm a bit of its compost.
A mouse assures a root of its importance.

These fun rhyming poems for two voices are blooming, bursting, and buzzing with personality. Eugene Yelchin’s stunning illustrations beautifully accent Carole Gerber’s unusual conversations. Together, they offer a close-up view of the plant and insect w
Published February 5th 2013 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!

Start your review of Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!: Poems for Two Voices
Memory Kopp
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great poetry book intended to be read in pairs. Carole Gerber sets up these poems in a great way using color coding for reading to take turns from person to person. Each person has their own color to read and when the colors are combined then they read in unison. This can make for even more fun and excitement when reading these poems. The themes of all the poems in this book are based around the plant, animal and insect worlds. They are packed with tons of useful information told in an ...more
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, 520info
I am always on the lookout for engaging books that bring science to life for young children. My most recent find, Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!: Poems for Two Voices by Carole Gerber, Eugene Yelchin, would be a perfect addition for early childhood through elementary school classrooms. This collection of nature poems invite children into imagined conversations of nature to share information about how seeds germinate, how seeds travel or the importance of the roots of a plant. I particularly ...more
Rachel Friel
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
This book includes a collection of several short, 1-2 page poems, related to nature, insects, plants, and flowers. Each poem is separate from one another. There are a total of 18 poems in the book. At the end of the book the author includes an informational summary with the accurate explanation of pollination, how seeds travel, plant growth and life, and more.
This book and its numerous poems will be wonderful to use in a classroom. It includes personification as well as great science content. Th
Kristen Badger
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: schl-5200, primary
Gerber, C. (2013). Seeds, bees, butterflies, and more!: poems for two voices. New York: Henry Holt and Co.

This brilliant poetry book was written for two readers. Text is in two colors so reader's can differentiate between the reading parts.

Teachers could use this book to teach students about poetry. This book would also be good to use to teach students about fluency and prosody when reading aloud. This book would also be great for units about plant, flowers, pollination, bees and nature.

Primar
Sandy Brehl
Poems for two voices are ideal in so many ways, and these combine high quality rhymed/metered verses with authentic content, voice, personification, and point of view. Add to that appealing and enhancing illustrations on an important core topic, and this is a book that should spend more time in hands than on a shelf.
D'metria
This is a good book for teaching about adjectives, animals, communication, the environment, repetition and rhyming. This book also provides good vocabulary words.
Emily W.
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Seeds, bees, butterflies, and more! is a colorful picture book full of cute and flower related poems. The poems are meant for two readers and very easy to follow along with and understand what the meaning is behind them.

The book is full of poems featuring seeds, flowers, pollinators, and yellow sunflowers (I rhythmed without knowing haha...). The poems paint clear pictures about how plants grow and what is needed for them to grow. The story also provides a very broad range of vocabulary! There a
Dominika R
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story was very interesting as it was written for two people to read, in two different voices. Every two pages are dedicated to a new perspective in the plant world. The first poem describes helicopters that float through the air. It goes on to describe berries, daffodils, roots, daffodils and so much more! The voices are read like a conversation between what is being described, such as the root and another being. Other than the title, the poem describes the spring word. It makes for a very ...more
Peggy Archer
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a picture book which combines poetry for two voices with science. I enjoyed reading the poems here, which are written in rhyme and intended to be read by two voices, an interesting way to inform readers about "Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!" I enjoyed the content and the rhyme, although the rhythm in some places felt a bit off. A note in front explains how to read the poems in two voices, and back matter adds to the information presented in the book. A fun way to learn about nature.
Lauren Krebs
Apr 13, 2020 rated it liked it
This book has a collection of poems based around nature, plants, and animals. It has beautiful illustrations and can grab young readers attention. I would say that this book is best suited for children 4-8 years of age. Also I find it interesting how the book promotes reading with a partner. This could be a great tool to use in the classroom when learning how to take turns and listen to others.
Taylor Relacion
Apr 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More is made up of rhyming poems. These poems are about nature and the poems are meant to be read by two people, the lines are color coded. Each poem gives an insight to something in nature, like how daffodil bulbs burst in the warming earth and then grow into flowers with the help of the sun. I would recommend this book for grades 2 to 4 because it seems like it is meant for younger readers, it's not content heavy.
In my classroom I would use this book to introduce
Clara
This is a great book for primary students. It encompasses the beautiful of the world we live in and how plant life in the world comes to be. If I was a teacher I think I would use this poem book as a part of a series on the life cycle of plants.
Caleb Moes
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: el230a
I choose this book because I needed a poetic book. This one was simple to read, It gave out facts as well as fun stories.
Jaime
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book for reading together. I think this would work well for performing for young kids.
Shanice Robinson
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book gives a wonderful perspective of nature through poetry!
Cheyanne Schlalos
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book, would be a great partner read for students on the first week of school to create relationships with one another, because you have to read together.
Wendee Vezzetti
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grade K and up
Shelves: schl-5200
SUMMARY:
At the first read, I really didn't like the alternating voices. But the more I read it, the more I like it. I especially like how it explains the story of how seeds are transmitted to create new plants - birds, pollination, etc. AJ (2.5 years) especially liked the illustrations which at his age kept his attention. Yet toward the end of the book he would lose it. So therefore, it is more for the grade K reader and up.

AGES: Primary - Preschool - 3rd

COPYRIGHT: 2013

PUBLISHER: Henry Holt and
Sarah Wilbern
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Gerber, C. (2013). Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More! New York: Henry Holt and Company.
Reviewed by School Library Journal
Poetry

This book was very colorful, and very easy to read. The poems were set up where two people took turns reading the different poems. The lines of the poems were short enough, and easy enough to be read by younger children. The poems were all related to one another because they all dealt with science and how things grew, and showed all the different life cycles. It showed
Katie Luckraft
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More! is an engaging book of poems to be read by two people. The poems are short, easy to read (each stanza is color coded, as well as indented, which makes it easy to see who is supposed to read what), and brimming with genuine information.
While this book details actual scientific topics like how seeds are distributed, why honeybees dance, and the life cycle of caterpillars, I really appreciated that it was written in such a simple way. I think that learning scien
Linda
All one needs to start a garden unit of learning is this book! Each poem will start the questioning, and research will help find the answers as to why each poem says what it does. For example, on the page with “New Shoot”, the first voice asks: “Will you be up soon?/I feel sure you’ll be cute.” and the second replies: “My roots are growing as we speak./I’m about to pop my shoot./Thanks for your concern though./Will we meet when I come out?” There is more talk, also accompanied by a large rabbit, ...more
Alisa
Oct 20, 2016 added it
2nd book review for week 6-Poetry
The poem book Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More! by Carole Gerber is set up for two readers. The text is color coded for a reader on the right and a reader on the left. These poems would be wonderful for fluency practice in the elementary grades (2-4). These poems revolve around plants and how they grow and the animals they encounter. It gives you a sense of what it is like in their world. The beautiful illustrations by Eugene Yelchin are colorful and expressive
Abby Johnson
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fun poems about plants, growing, pollination, etc. are paired with exuberant artwork in this collection. My one small beef is that I always wish for more information included about particular species, etc. but I can see, stylistically, that including such blurbs might have detracted from the beautiful illustrations. For science information, you'll need to pair this book with something else, but on its own it's a glorious celebration of spring and shouldn't be missed!

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Poems for two (or more) voices have been popular since Paul Fleischman's Joyful Noise<\i> was published back in 1988. In this book all the poems are about plants and insects, and the relationships between the two. Children can have fun performing the poems and learn something at the same time. Lines of poetry are color-coded to make it easier for performers to know their parts. The author provides information at the end of the book on how seeds germinate and how insects help in the process. Nice ...more
Ivy Howey
Come on a journey through the garden and explore the creatures that abound! Don't forget to bring a friend, because these poems are meant for two people to share. Gerber, C. (2013) Seeds, bees, butterflies, and more! : poems for two voices; Henry Holt and Co

This is a book that I would recommend to teachers starting a unit in Science that is covering the life cycle or to show different styles of poetry.

Booklist 01/01/13
Kirkus Reviews 01/01/13
Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books 04/01/13
Lib
Lisa E
Oct 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: libs642
Gerber, C. (2013). Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!New York: Henry Holt and Company.

School Library Journal (2013).

Book Soak Category.

Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More is a poetry book that is focused on the world of plants, animals insect. There are many topics in the book that I could see using in the classroom with kids for example topics on pollination, new plants, etc. The book is intended for students K-3. I found it a very informational picture book as well as enjoyed the poetry.
Karen Dransfield
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am currently working on a poetry project for teaching young children. This is one of the books I picked up at the library. The book is full of poems about plants, insects and their lives. Each short poem picks a topic and talks about it. Caterpillars eating milkweed, seeds growing underground, flowers and seed pods, ladybirds eating aphids etc. A great collection of poems to share. Would be a great read if just finishing a unit on bugs and insects.. or life cycles. I plan to share a couple of ...more
Dominique Andrich
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This collection of two voice poems has been illustrated with vivid colors and a sense of realism that make the book a joy to look through. The fact that each poem requires two individuals to read it allows for students to interact on a creative and literary level. By having a rhythmic beat and an overlap in another subject (science), it allows the book to be that much more engaging to the readers.
Laura Salas
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
These poems for two voices all about garden/yard characters are wonderful and whimsical. Kids will have a blast performing them--they're funny and full of facts. And the art is fabulous! It's bright and childlike and colorful--I love it. I have occasional issues with the meter, but this is a really kid-friendly collection that would be great in the classroom.
Barbara
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations and wonderful poems meant to be read by two persons alternately. Great Springtime read-aloud for teachers or parents who want to teach children about the beauty of nature and share a love of poetry. The subject of the poems range from seed dispersal, to parts of a plant, insects, pollinators, and flowers.
Michele Knott
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2014
Beautiful poems that will be fun for young readers to read aloud together since each poem is written for 2 voices. There are several poems about seeds, flowers, bees, and butterflies. At the end of the book, the author ties all of them together by showing how each thing depends on the other to grow!

• Float
  • One Leaf, Two Leaves, Count with Me!
  • They All Saw A Cat