Start by marking “A Vacation for Pooch” as Want to Read:
A Vacation for Pooch

A Vacation for Pooch

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  86 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Meet Violet. She’s going on vacation to sunny Florida. She packed her bag very carefully.

Meet Pooch. He’s going on vacation to Grandpa’s snowy farm. Violet packed his bag very carefully, too.

After they both leave, disaster strikes! When their bags get mixed up, Violet thinks Pooch’s vacation will be miserable. But Pooch is having a grand old time, so all is very well!
Published February 19th 2013 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about A Vacation for Pooch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Vacation for Pooch

Sharon Barrow Wilfong
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little girl gets ready to go to Florida with her family for vacation.

She also prepares her dog for his "vacation" on Grandpa's farm.

When she gets to Florida, she finds that she has left her bag at the farm and took her dog's bag.

How will her pet survive without his toys or leash or sleeping pillow?

Let's call Grandpa to find out.
Julie Yim
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My 6 year old fell in love with this book and reads it all the time!!! We had checked it out at the library and I recently returned it which made her sad. I am going to buy it for her, it is a great read!
Paula
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it
While packing for vacation in Florida, Violet packs a green bag of essentials for herself and a green bag of essentials for her dog, Pooch. Pooch will be vacationing with Violet’s Grandpa on his farm. Violet has a grand time in Florida until she gets ready for bed. When she reaches for her favorite doll, she discovers Pooch’s favorite toy. How will Pooch ever survive at Grandpa’s without his essentials? She imagines all the misfortunes that befell Pooch while she was living it up in Florida. How ...more
Dawn
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Violet and her family are going on a beach vacation to Florida, but she's sad because they can't bring along her beloved Pooch. She carefully packs Pooch a bag of his favorite things for his stay at her grandfather's house, but accidentally switches the bag with her own bag. When she discovers the mix-up she is distraught, but a call to her grandfather's reveals that Pooch has had a great day even without all of his stuff. The cutest part is that he happily snuggles up with Violet's doll
in lieu
Emily
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
After Violet packs her bags for vacation in sunny, beautiful, warm Florida, she prepares a bag for her dog, Pooch. He can't go on vacation to Florida with her -- no dogs allowed -- so he is going to Grandpa's farm to play in the snow. Nothing could possibly go wrong -- except that Violet accidentally takes Pooch's bag with her!

Worried that Pooch's vacation is ruined without his Fluffy Cat, his favorite red ball, and his food, Violet frantically calls Grandpa. Will everything be okay?

This would
Willow
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I wanted to give this 3 1/2, but I'll give it 4 for the artwork. VERY cute book about a girl who has some dominant mothering feelings toward her pet pooch. Neat story line with a middle that will jerk children's attention back to the book. If you pay close attention, you will see the illustrator has used a multitude of materials to illustrate this book which include watercolor pencils, fabrics, and pencil crayons.So cool!
Christopher
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wonder who the audience is for this book. The beginning of the story is very word heavy with a lot of text crammed into a small page. Yet, as the story goes on, it becomes more of a book emphasizing new vocabulary with very few words on the page. The story itself was noting special. The book itself is very small and could have the potential to be lost on crowded library shelves.
Great Books
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: birth-4
Vacations can be fun but also stressful. When Violet can't bring her dog on vacation she packs a bag so he will be happy with Grandpa. Diaster strikes the first night when she discovers their bags have been switched. Reassuring for those "I want to go home" moments. Reviewer 5
Hannah Jane
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
- adorable, easy-to-follow story that leaves you saying ‘awww’ - illustrations are plentiful, loud and very sweet (my favorite was the Pooch and Molly page) - great way to say that sometimes it can be a very happy thing when your original plans don’t work out
Palmer
Aug 21, 2013 added it
Shelves: children-s-2013
Violet goes on vacation to Florida worried about how her dog, Pooch, will cope without her. She takes Pooch's bag by mistake. Boy, is she relieved when grandpa says Pooch has been having fun on the farm without her.
Sharon Lawler
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pooch goes to Grampa's snowy farm while Violet flies to the sunny beach, but there is a mix-up with the bags and Violet has all Pooch's toys and vice versa. Cute story with clever art work of gouache with fabric collage on watercolor paper.
Edward Sullivan
Feb 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Pooch has more fun than Violet on his vacation. So much for separation anxiety.
Cindy Dobrez
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
We'd all like to think we are indispensable...but we're not. I have a 22 year old daughter who worries just as much about leaving her pooch behind. I'll have to pass this book on to her.
Michelle
A sweet story about a girl who goes on vacation and leaves her beloved dog with her grandpa for the week. I won't spoil it...it's cute though!
Holly
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: carson-s
So cute! Lovely story and beautiful illustrations!
Brindi Michele
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is cute....about being separated from your pet.
Beth
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ellie-s-shelf
If you like dogs you will like this book.
Emily
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cute kids book about separation. After finding a bag mix up while on vacation Violet is concerned about her dog Pooch. She shouldn't worry because he is just fine with grandpa and his new friend.
Megan
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Adorable.
Lauren
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it
not my favorite, but Libby has wanted to check it out from the library multiple times
PWRL
Apr 24, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Anna
MC reads as Asian to me, thought grandfather reads as Caucasian. Emailed author/illustrator since I was curious!
Fjóla
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Very cute! We're not even all that much into dogs but we empathized and we loved it. Three and a half stars really ...
Kelsey
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Age: Preschool+
Animal: Dog

Fresh concept for a doggie book that also deals with separation and friendship.
Lynn
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dog lovers everywhere will relate to the angst of leaving a pet behind. Cute story and fun illustrations.
Inge
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, picture-books
A good title about feelings/emotions, specifically worry.
Tracy
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Violet has made all the preparations for pooch to vacation with Grandpa, while she goes to Florida.
Michele Reno
May 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Disabled Main Characters in Children's Lit 1 2 May 09, 2014 07:00AM

Maryann Cocca-Leffler of NH, is the Author and Illustrator of over
60 books for children. Maryann’s book, Janine (2015) and its new sequel, Janine and the Field Day Finish (2016), were inspired by her daughter, Janine. Together they have developed a corresponding website, www.janinesparty.com with a mission to help change public perception of children with disabilities. Other books include, A Home
More about Maryann Cocca-Leffler...