Start by marking “Dress Your Marines in White (Monument 14, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Dress Your Marines in White (Monument 14, #0.5)

Dress Your Marines in White

(Monument 14 #0.5)

It was just a test report. Like one of many, many he’d written up in the past. Except this time, several of the test subjects are dead…”

At first, Dr. James Cutlass had thought his new job at NORAD was thrilling and full of opportunities, but that was before the demonstration… “Dress Your Marines in White” is the story of the terrifying choices surrounding a chemical weapon
Published May 22nd 2012 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Dress Your Marines in White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dress Your Marines in White

Start your review of Dress Your Marines in White (Monument 14, #0.5)
karen
WELCOME TO DECEMBER PROJECT!

last year, amy(other amy) tipped me off to this cool thing she was doing: the short story advent calendar, where you sign up to this thingie here and you get a free story each day.

i dropped the ball and by the time i came to my senses, it had already sold out, so for december project, i'm going rogue and just reading a free online story a day of my choosing. this foolhardy endeavor is going to screw up my already-deep-in-the-weeds review backlog, so i don't think i w
Rose
I think some of my favourite quotes from this little novella and my comments on them will explain my feelings for Dress Your Marines in White perfectly. :-)

Dr. Janko Savic was a tall man—Serbian or Croatian, if there was a difference.

Did you just—

or have this other fabulous one:

A giant brute for O. A guy who looked ethnic for AB—did she think he'd be more garrulous, somehow, because he looked like a gypsy?

Did you really just, I have no words—

or how about this awesome piece?:

Freckles o
Andrew
Feb 07, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the first story in the Monument 14 series and yes its another TOR original free short story. It too is a kind of prequel setting the scene for the first book in the series.

Having not read the first book (only an extended exert from it a while ago which intrigued me very much) I do not know much of the series so I cannot tell if this short story reflect style content or even characters. What I can tell you is that it explains a lot about one of the contributing factors to the disaster whi
Greg
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, science-fiction
This short story describes an incident involving a biological warfare experiment that goes horribly wrong and the psychological effect it had on a witness who survived it. The lead up to the incident and what happens when things start to go wrong reminds me a little of the findings of Stanley Milgram's experiment on obedience to authority figures, except that the experiment in this story is no mere simulation.

The writing is good as is the suspense - even though I understood from the outset that
MischaS_
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was thinking about it, how could they produce something terrible? With such a horrible impact on human being. And here is the answer. Pretty... horrifing.
Cherie
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Unimaginable to think of any scientist creating a compound like that indicated in this story, and too terrorfying to think our government would ever be involved! Well written and chilling. An unnecessary prequel to an awesome debut novel.
Michael
This story by Emmy Laybourne is tense, hypnotic, and horrific. I should have been prepared for the horror of the climax, because it was prepped the entire story, but still I wasn't. I guess because this story was in a Young Adult anthology and so I had been reading Young Adult stories and therefore expected this to be something a Young Adult would read. I am an "Old Adult" and I shouldn't be reading this stuff! It is the stuff of nausea, and nightmares, and pieces of your soul being chipped away ...more
Marni
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read Monument 14 and it didn't go over big with me, but this story, this blew me away. This is what should have been at the beginning of Monument 14, this is what should have started the story and this is what would have brought my review of book one to a higher level.

A bit scary. Why? Because I could see reality mixed with fiction. I could see people in our government going this far and farther. You don't want to think about it, but you have to wonder how they come up with the things they do.
Kaethe Douglas
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stories
Brutally effective story. Prequel to the Monument series

Available to read for free online at Tor
Eduardo Ventura
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Personal Response

I liked Dress Your Marines in White, but I was expecting more from this story. It was the prequel of one of my favorite dystopian series, because of this I was hoping to find some answers about its chaotic universe. I was a little disappointed, but the story itself was acceptable.

Plot

It all started with a doctor named James, who worked for the company NORAD. James had to write a report about their last experiment. He refused to bring back the horrible memories of the experime
Molly
So, I read the first book in the series about a month ago, and to tell the truth... didn't plan to read the second one.
I picked this short just because I'm marathoning through tor.com free short stories.

I find that I liked it more than the novel, maybe because of the short format. It wasn't groundbreaking; more or less what you'd expect of the sci-fi/post-apocalyptic genre. Solid short story.

What let me a little perplexed were some reviews, almost stating (based on this short) that the author wa
Ari
Jun 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Rating 3.5

The story is told through a serious of flashback Dr. James Cutlass has as he is working on a report for an incident, if you can call it that, which happened during a testing demonstration of a chemical weapon. The use of these flashback, which kept getting cut off when present time events broke James' trip down memory lane, certainly helped give it a suspense filled air. I really wanted to smack his teenage son just so his father could get on with it and I could finally know what the h
Marissa
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Turns out I read this accidentally a few weeks ago, in a Tor.com anthology. Unlike the following novel, Monument 14, this was actually a great read, well developed, well paced, intriguing. I remembered wanting to read more. (Which made for weird deja vu when I read Monument, since the biochemical weapon in it sounded JUST LIKE THIS ONE, but I didn't make the connection.)
david y biblioflick
Sep 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, novellas

This is just a prequel to the trilogy, Monument 14. It doesn't give any information that we (the readers) already know. But nonetheless the novella is quite good but not reading it is just fine for it is just an additional story/content which is also available in the paperback version.
Kellie
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, young-adult
A short sort of prequel story included with Monument 14. Nice to have some background to part of what is going on in Monument, but man, it was disturbing! I hate to think such things are really happening, but unfortunately they probably are. :(
Loni
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Crazy! Do people not know they’re creating the end of the world when they’re creating the end of the world? I guess not.
Darla
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Very disturbing tale of experimenting bio weapons on marines. Preparing to read the entire Monument series. Looking forward tying this in with the rest of the story.
Mehsi
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book, this answered the questions I had about that toxic that was in the air in Monument 14.
Ellie
May 02, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was enlightening about the inside details in NORAD.
It was also interesting because it was based off of Dr. Cutlass’s experience.
Although it was cool to see the behind the scenes of the MORS compound experiments, it was also just sad to read about. I could see corrupt people doing similar stuff today and that was a scary realization. It didn’t help that this story happened in 2021... 😳
Erin
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
After hearing a lot about this series, I wanted to start it.
I wasn't really sure what to expect, but this was a big surprise for me and I wasn't expecting it to be caused by a lab. But it also makes sense when you think about how other epidemics have started in tv shows right now. I can't wait to start this series in 2018!
Tweller83
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, dystopia
Wow, that was just as disturbing and disgusting as I thought it would be. Told from the perspective of Brayden's father about the testing of the chemical compound from Monument 14.

I read the edition in the back of the Monument 14 book rather than the ebook.
Greyjoyous
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story, freebie, 2017
Intriguing.

Maybe a little bit over the top?

Added Monument 14 to my TBR shelf.
M. Basnet
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
S.
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pretty horrific to think about, actually.
Ryan
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it
It’s always tough to grade a short story because there’s little chance for characterization. I will say this one was perfectly fine, provided a bit more exposition into the blood related impacts of the chemicals. (I’m still not convinced the science is plausible.)

This one was straight down the middle. Nothing impressive or offensive about it.
Jack
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
For book reviews and more, please visit my book blog, The Book Stop

Jeez.

Seriously, do people not know they're creating something that could destroy the society around us. This novella was quite chilling. It gave me a better understanding of Monument 14. And please, if you're planning on reading Monument 14, make sure you read this first. Monument 14 will make a lot more sense if you read Dress Your Marines In White first. You can read it for free at the link above.

Synopsis

"It was just a test rep
Clair
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Summary: This story starts out with Dr. James Cutlass, Brayden’s father, at his desk trying to type out an official report about the MORS Test, that he and his colleagues set-up. The story is kind of like a flash back because Dr. Cutlass is remembering the horrific past, but is typing it up in present time. The author lets you know what Dr. Cutlass is really feeling and thinking, what actually occurred during the experiment, and also what he types out for the official documentation of the experi ...more
Caity
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
As seen on Caity Reads.

This was an interesting read. It wasn’t necessarily bad, but the downfalls far outweighed the good things for me. It was nice to get some background of the chemicals released in Monument 14. It was also fairly terrifying to think of a scientist creating compounds like these. Emmy’s writing is gross, and imaginary which is good. Especially for a story like this.

However, I had a few issues with this short story. First, the format in which is was written didn’t mesh well with
Katherine
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is written half as a scientific report and half as an account of the man writing the report. This is necessary to get the actual thoughts and feelings of the scientist behind the report that would otherwise be lost.
The first thing to note is that there are various racist and judgemental remarks made by the scientists about test subjects and others. But that is the point. It is hard as human beings to truly believe that an entire race is worthy of death, so a quirk of our subconscious is tha
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Glitches (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (Grishaverse, #0.5)
  • Prophet (Struck, #0.5)
  • Unlocked: An Oral History of Haden's Syndrome (Lock In, #0.5)
  • Mangos and Mistletoe
  • The Fierce Reads Anthology
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
  • Reasons She Goes to the Woods
  • A Dead Djinn in Cairo
  • A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)
  • Potkin and Stubbs (Potkin and Stubbs #1)
  • Legacy Lost (The Syrena Legacy, #0.5)
  • The Tea Dragon Tapestry (Tea Dragon, #3)
  • Sky Doll: Die Gelbe Stadt (Sky Doll, #1)
  • Weaveworld
  • The Demon in the Wood (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Unexpected Stories
  • Riden's Chapter (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1.5)
EMMY LAYBOURNE is a Young Adult novelist best known for her Monument 14 series, an internationally best-selling trilogy that has been translated into 9 languages. Her standalone book Sweet won a Junior Library Guild Award, was a YALSA Quick Pick and got a Perfect Ten rating from VOYA. Her latest books, Berserker, and Ransacker tell the story of a family of Norwegian teens with ancient Viking power ...more

Monument 14 (3 books)
  • Monument 14 (Monument 14, #1)
  • Sky on Fire (Monument 14, #2)
  • Savage Drift (Monument 14, #3)

News & Interviews