Start by marking “The House of Doors” as Want to Read:
The House of Doors

The House of Doors (House of Doors #1)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  778 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Bent on taking over the Earth, the deadly Thone have planted a monstrous device on our planet's surface. Trapped inside is a group of scientists, spies, and innocent bystanders. Part maze, part torture chamber, part laboratory, the House of Doors is a test. If its captives survive, the Thone will withdraw from Earth and leave us in peace.

Survival seems impossible. At every
Published March 15th 1990 by Tor Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The House of Doors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House of Doors

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Lovecraftian robes, MacLeanian heart.

I'd vaguely heard of Lumley and his never-ending Necroscope series as well as his Lovecraftian fiction. What I'd heard of the former didn't exactly have me rushing to check out the latter, but I decided to finally sample something by him and this novel seemed like a good place to start as I wanted something outside of the Necroscope series to start with.

The novel is billed as horror, but really, it's closer to science fiction, and even closer to a plan and
Erin
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting premise (an enormous castle appears with no explanation, causing international consternation and a then a group of people get sucked inside and have to choose among various doors. That's the good part.), but the execution wasn't my thing.

The bad? I didn't grasp the pseudo-scientific explanation (of what should probably be unexplainable) but what really put me off was the horrific sexism. The book was published in 1990, so it's certainly recent enough that it can't be explained away b
Clint
Aug 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I just found this book 20 years after the first time I saw it. Though it probably should have had one more rewrite (some continuity errors, like 222 being Varre's number in one scene and Angela's in another), Brian Lumley's insanely fertile imagination and macho, balls-out style of storytelling make up for everything. Super cheesy, like the best EC comics, super violent and dark, super creative and always surprising, this is just Brian Lumley doing what he does best, raping the hell out of your ...more
Jamie Rosen
May 09, 2012 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
I gave up when the abused woman mused about how at least she hadn't lost her figure.
Donovan
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy, horror
The House of Doors and its sequel - The Second Visit remind me of the cult movie Cube. It's a fun read.
Amelia
Nov 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sean McBride
I went into this book thinking it was going to be "saw" like. It was marketed as a "labyrinth which holds your worst fears." I also like the ideas which Lumley comes up with. He is a distant disciple of HP Lovecraft and has very inventive ideas (his best are the original Necroscope and the Titus Crow series, which expand the Cthulhu mythos). This story however fell short.

Poorly designed trite characters run around and act exactly as you would expect them to and the end of the story is the super
Carl
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Well...

This book didn't meet my expectations based on Lumley's previous works such as Necroscope. I thought the characters were decent enough, but fell into stereotypes that belittled the work. Biggest disappointment (besides the damsel-in-distress) was the antagonist, who proved to be less "evolved" than the supposed inferior creatures he was tormenting.

On the positive side, this work of fiction would make an excellent gaming experience.
Kristine
It was ok. I took it on a trip so I would be "forced" to finally read it. Interesting idea on how an alien race might judge us as worthy/unworthy. (Not that aliens exist), but I found it hard to believe that an alien would have such petty human feelings of revenge, jealousy, hate for an inferior species.
Steve
May 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly expected something with a more supernatural angle, and maybe that is part of the reason this book disappoints me. I really enjoyed the first Necroscope trilogy as well as the Vampire World trilogy.

It's just "ok".
Paula
May 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Interesting premise but any author who thinks frequent rape is necessary to propel a story similar to "The Cube" is wrong. I had high hopes for this book but 56 pages in and I'm done with it.
Athena
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book of all time!
Genny Clary tice
did not read it. decided to wait till another time.
Arin
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book! Dark maze with portals and various alternate realitie.
Susan
Jan 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit disappointed as I expected it to be a bit more on the horror side. Over all not a bad take on the genre of aliens.
Paul
Aug 12, 2012
Jeff Lawhorn
May 07, 2013
Chad Cowgill
rated it did not like it
Jul 27, 2011
rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2011
  • The Pet
  • Night of the Wendigo
  • The H.P. Lovecraft Omnibus 1: At the Mountains of Madness and Other Novels of Terror
  • Breeder
  • The Dealings of Daniel Kesserich
  • Disciples of Cthulhu
  • The Ceremonies
  • Black Star Black Sun
  • Burnt Bones  (Special X, #7)
  • The Book of Common Dread (Vincent DeVilbiss, #1)
  • Little Brothers
  • Beneath the Surface (Revised & Expanded)
  • The Freakshow
  • The Overnight
  • Halloweenland
  • The Wild
  • The Call of The Black River
  • Strange Eons
20602
Brian Lumley was born near Newcastle. In 22 years as a Military Policeman he served in many of the Cold War hotspots, including Berlin, as well as Cyprus in partition days. He reached the rank of Sergeant-Major before retiring to Devon to write full-time, and his work was first published in 1970. The vampire series, 'Necroscope', has been translated into ten languages and sold over a million copie ...more
More about Brian Lumley...

House of Doors (2 books)