Start by marking “The Art of Animal Drawing: Construction, Action Analysis, Caricature” as Want to Read:
The Art of Animal Drawing: Construction, Action Analysis, Caricature

The Art of Animal Drawing: Construction, Action Analysis, Caricature

"You'll learn everything there is to learn about drawing animals." — Collectors' Corner
This thoughtful and incisive guidebook, written by a former animator for Walt Disney Studios, will help artists at many skill levels improve their ability to draw a wide variety of animal forms both realistically and as caricatures.
You'll learn why the author considers construction, act
Published February 9th 1993 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Animal Drawing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Animal Drawing

Kenneth
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have a number of books about how to draw animals on my shelves, but this one stands a cut above the rest. Having been a senior animator for Disney in animation's golden age, Hultgren has a mastery of expressive motion that imbues even his least cartoony renderings with a personality and liveliness that are unusual in a genre where critters are much more likely to appear taxidermically stuffed. Like a skilled caricaturist, he hones in on the essence of what makes a horse horselike, for example, ...more
Carrie
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-instruction, own
This book is full of great information and wonderful to look at, and it's unique for its emphasis on exaggeration and caricature. It helped me a lot with my gesture and motion drawings and with learning to get more character into a sketch.

My only issue; this book kind of implies that each section is divided into "realistic" and "caricature". Actually, all of the drawings some level of exaggeration, including the skeletons and diagrams showing motion of the legs. Many of the animals are depicted
Stina
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
I'm glad I bought it. It's a pretty cheap book to come by online, and worth it to have a quick reference of basic anatomy for several animals. Plus the illustrations (759 of them, says the cover) are lovely and offer some wonderful inspiration for dynamic poses. They convey weight and sense of motion very well. There are more pages dedicated to horses than to the other animals, but there's a nice variety in the rest. Plenty of deer, cats (domestic and a few different big cats) cattle, foxes, rab ...more
Mike
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I just recently got this book and I must admit, as a graphic designer, this book is quite helpful with learning more of the different animals' anatomy and structure but the only negative thing I can say is that it could be even more helpful if it had more words in it to go along with the images he shows you. Adding some instructions would help a long ways to showing a person how he got to each image. But all in all, it's very helpful.
Hannah
Jun 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
While the last page of each section was useless for me, leaning as it does towards the overly-simplified cartoon, the basic sections on each animal are quite useful and dynamic.

The whole of this text is more on the graphic/cartoon side, but by and large the simplifications are useful; combined with some other anatomy books and/or photographs, one could learn quite a lot from this volume.
Jamie Needham
This book is a favorite on my shelf. Being an animal artist, it helped me learn basic anatomy. It also has a very good chapter on horses and not many animal drawing books will focus on equines. That's a plus for me! The author also worked for Disney so, he knows what he is talking about!!
krad
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 - just needs a reprint and an expanded collection of animals (most of the ones featured were common ones in Disney movies), but this is the best reference on critters I've seen yet. Perfect for animators and illustrators of all kinds.
Lionel
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent and diverse reference.
Sheila Read
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
my dad loves this book he can use it to get designs for his leather.
Ian
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Helpful and well-stated. I do wish more space were dedicated to general process than specific species, but only because the process is so concise.
Tahlia C
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great reference book for form, action, and figure composition.
Blue
Shane Koch
Nov 25, 2014
Bri
Dec 16, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Separate entries for the same book 3 20 Sep 29, 2015 09:04AM

• How to Draw Animals
  • Cartoon Animation
  • Successful Drawing
  • Figure Drawing Without a Model
  • Drawing the Human Head
  • Character Animation Crash Course!
  • Creating Characters with Personality
  • Drawing People: How to Portray the Clothed Figure
  • Directing the Story: Professional Storytelling and Storyboarding Techniques for Live Action and Animation
  • Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
  • Vilppu Drawing Manual
  • Figure Drawing: Design and Invention
  • Anatomy Lessons From the Great Masters
  • Drawing and Painting Fantasy Landscapes and Cityscapes
  • Constructive Anatomy
  • An Atlas of Anatomy for Artists
  • Anatomy: A Complete Guide for Artists
Kenneth Vernon Hultgren was one of the great "animal artists" at Disney in the 1940s. Born in Minneapolis, he studied at the School of Art in his hometown. In 1935 he moved to California to start his artistic career. Soon afterwards, he joined the Disney Studios, where he became one of the best animators. He worked on such productions as 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' and 'Bambi', doing model s ...more