Start by marking “Look Back on Happiness” as Want to Read:
Look Back on Happiness

Look Back on Happiness

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  181 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published October 11th 2007 by BiblioLife (first published 1912)

To ask other readers questions about Look Back on Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Look Back on Happiness

Steven
"But one thing I'll never be done with: withdrawing to sit in the solitude in my room, surrounded by a deep darkness. In spite of all, that's the last joy. (131)
The Last Joy, also translated as Look Back on Happiness, is the last of what Hamsun's so-called Wanderer Trilogy. It is preceded by Under the Autumn Star (1906) and A Wanderer Plays on Muted Strings (1909), both of which are wonderful. This is the weakest of the three; it is not as sustained as the others, and it reveals Hamsun at his mo
Katelyn
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I've ever read a better first chapter. It had me hooked immediately and then throughout the entire book. I love the way Hamsun writes and how he incorporates certain sentences that contain so much meaning. Love it, love it, love it.
Manheim Wagner
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Every Hamsun book is great, and Look Back in Happiness is no exception. Here we have an older Hamsun persona still seasonally wandering the Norwegian countryside in search of work, while commenting on the modernization. As always, Hamsun offers the reader sharp insights into the motives of people through his wide range of characters that all happen to stay at a resort lodge, where Hamsun's persona is employed.
Vladthepoet
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: read in original language if you can
This his last (or one of the last books) before he got involved into politics and tragically supported Nazi occupation of Norway, met Hitler (who read his books as a young men, well Gebbels read for sure). Of course, all of his books are gems. One of my favorite authors. I read this book in both Russian and English translation.
Bettie☯
I have read this, remember that opening page. Will have to check to see what other title this comes under when back on the Big Girl computer.

**This book is also known as The Last Joy**
Jonathan Widell
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In his last book of the Wanderer Trilogy, Hamsun's narrator is the same forward-looking individual as he was before in the trilogy. But he is also older. The narrator is in his seventies. At a certain age, what is there to look forward to but death? So the narrator lives vicariously through younger people that he comes in contact with. Gone are his own love interests; in come the love interests of others. Which is good, because now - in retrospect - the narrator's tendency to see everything thro ...more
Konstantin
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: norsk
"For my own bed, I cut fresh pine twigs, as is fitting. I have an axe and a saw and the necessary crockery. And I have a sleeping bag of sheepskin with the wool inside. I keep a fire burning in the fireplace all night, and my shirt, which hangs by it, smells of fresh resin in the morning. When I want coffee, I go out, fill the kettle with clean snow, and hang it over the fire till the snow turns to water.

/.../

While the pot is boiling I lie down and gaze at the fire till I fall asleep. I take my
Mat
Mar 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a somewhat different read of Hamsun than I'd grown accustom to with his past work. The style and flow however, was similar and I really enjoyed this book. As usual, there's not anyone who gets lost in the story along the way and it's a neat insight into the community of a small rural town.
Michael Smith
This is the third volume of "Wanderers." I look forward to reading it. The first two books are wonderful—the narrator's outlook is strange and surprising. He is not exactly likable but extremely engaging, with odd relationships over space and time. Years go by, nothing really happens, yet you keep wondering what's next, what's the point, where is he going.
Walter Alligood
Hamsun is one of my top five writers. If you ask me why I couldn't really explain except to say that his narratives are appealing. However, this book seemed a bit scattered with no clear point to the story. His writing took me through to the end, but this was not his best.
Michel Van Goethem
The Last Joy
by Knut Hamsun
Peter Perhac
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
ah. nice read. finally some hamsun after a long while. good old hamsun.
Roger
  • Kafka's House
  • Love Letters from Cell 92
  • Abel Sánchez and Other Stories
  • Lewis resa
  • The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk During the World War, Book(s) Three & Four
  • The Glassblower's Daughter
  • Gargoyles
  • Forty Stories
  • Ultimate Rush
  • Creatures That Once Were Men
  • Freedom Flyers: The Tuskegee Airmen of World War II (Oxford Oral History Series)
  • As Seen on TV: Provocations
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1920 "for his monumental work, Growth of the Soil". He insisted that the intricacies of the human mind ought to be the main object of modern literature, to describe the "whisper of the blood, and the pleading of the bone marrow". Hamsun pursued his literary program, debuting in 1890 with the psychological novel Hunger.
More about Knut Hamsun...

“Och med en annan sak blir jag aldrig färdig: Att draga mig tillbaka och sitta i ensamheten i skogen och ha det gott och mörkt omkring mig. Det är den sista glädjen. Det är det höga, det religiösa i ensamheten och mörkret, som gör att man har behov av dem, det är däremot icke därför man söker sig bort från de andra, att det bara är sig själv man härdar ut med, nej, nej. Men det är det mystiska, att allt brusar fjärran och dock så nära en, man sitter i mitten av en allestädes närvarande. Det är väl Gud. Det är väl en själv som är en del av allt.” 1 likes
“an overexertion to which one is driven by inner content is easy to bear.” 0 likes