Start by marking “Vivid” as Want to Read:
Vivid

Vivid

(The Grayson Family #1)

It's 1786 and Dr.Viveca Lancaster is frustrated by the limits placed upon female physicians of color. When she is offered the chance to set up a practice in the small all Black community of Grayson Grove, Michigan she leaves her California home and heads east. The very determined Viveca is one of the few nineteenth century Black women to graduate from the prestigious ...more
Published December 1st 2000 by iUniverse (first published January 15th 1995)

Start your review of Vivid
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Vivid by Beverly Jenkins

A historical romanc but more.
Includes lots of historical facts in detailed story form. An example is the establishment of the first black church. And the selling of slave brothers and sisters.
Not something I expected in a romance novel. I felt like I was attending a lecture at times and it distracted s bit from the story itself.

Doctor Viveca Lancaster travels to Grayson Grove, Michigan to become the town’s doctor. Nate Grayson wasn’t aware he was hiring a female doctor
Layeshia
I'm so glad that I read this book I thoroughly enjoyed it I haven't read it historical Romance in donkey years!! (A very long time) lol. But I'm glad I did I was pleasantly surprised and I learned a few things. Regarding potato chips that they were called Saratoga chips and they were invented by an African-American also I learned that Frederick Douglass had a messy personal life and not too many African-Americans trusted him. But I digressed this is the love journey Vivid and Nate. Vivid is bit ...more
Ka’leneReads
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jenkins has a knack for being able to gain and maintain my interest in her stories....One of the Best
Andrew
Great historical fiction!

Set in the period following the American Civil War and Reconstruction Era, Viveca Lancaster is an educated Black woman trained as a physician and raised in the state of California. Frustrated by the lack of opportunities for her to practice medicine where she lives, she takes up the post of a Doctor in a small Black community in Michigan.
At first and with few supporters she finds herself either ignored by most who feel that 'Doctoring' is not a job for a woman or seen
Sue
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this well written and researched fact based novel of a fictional female African-American doctor (Vivid) in 1876 trying to settle into the all black community town of Grayson Cove in a time when female black doctors was a rarity.

I love the characters of Grayson Cove who were essentially good and had a good community spirit - I can see myself living there. I loved the Nate and Vivid love story.

I enjoyed the inclusion of a sentence of fact into the storyline like how black skin was
Tia
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Community aspect of this book. blacks coming together and being protective over one another, definitely not like today. The relationship between Nate and Dr Viveca was enchanting and smoldering hot! I liked the family dynamics of the Graysons and Abigails defiance of Mr. Crowley. She taunted that man for years. The rich history lessons told throughout the book were fantastic, native people, scholars, politicians, and the game,lacrosse. All very wonderful. I would recommend this book ...more
Shawnette
A Very Vivid Historical/Romance Novel

This is the second novel I read by Beverly Jenkins, 'Night Song' being the first. I just have to say I thoroughly enjoy her writing style. I could not put either book down! You can't help but fall in love with the main characters and it feels like your watching a movie with the descriptive storytelling. She made the characters and the story jump off the page for me. And you not only get a great history lesson, you get some very HOT and steamy
Rbeey
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a MUST read! I found pleasingly nice..sexy too..
My educational love story...my keeper..sigh.. Ms. Jenkins makes learning about history fun. I adore how see places historic findings so effortless entwine within in her Romance..it's like magic. It keeps me happy & coming back for more. ((You rock)) Ms. Jenkins UR the best!
Lulu
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s Beverly Jenkins. Nothing else really needs to be said. She does an amazing job of mixing the perfect amount of romance with historical fiction.
Ilia Johnson
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This was a nice quick read. Beverly has a nice formula and I love the black history peppered through the novel. I always walk away learning something new.
Jerrika Rhone
I'ma say this from the door. I do not like Robin Eller's narration and I miss Kim Staunton's rendition. For me this can make me not finish an audiobook preferring to read a copy instead. Ugh.

18% Done: She is the worst.

The story was juicy and fun just like all Beverly Jenkins stories are. I'm on a mission to read all her work.
L. Wright
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
When Viveca (referred to as Vivid by her family) arrives in Grayson Grove after a long train ride from San Francisco, she meets up with mayor Nate Grayson. Their first meeting is challenging, to say the least.

Nate has sworn off love after a failed marriage and he immediately notices Vivid's beauty. He mistakes her for an "undecent woman" but is proven wrong when she produces documents stating that she is the doctor hired to practice medicine in his town.

As the story unfolds, Nate is unsure if
Darla
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was another great by Beverly Jenkins! I enjoyed this story of Dr. Viveca Lancaster and Nate Grayson. Two characters that bumped heads from the first they met, but who grew to share a great connection later. She was headstrong, independent, and danced to her own beat, which was out of character for females during this time period. He was headstrong, caring, and a damned good man. What a great combination they made together, especially once they stopped aggravating one another. I loved ...more
Alyssa Cole
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really, really enjoyed the banter between the hero and the heroine even though the set-up was something that usually drives me mad. I feel like the last third of the book flagged, but is carried through by the momentum of the first portion. Truly enjoyed it!
Lauren (The Novel Lush)
Not sure how to rate this one because the audio narration was ROUGH, stilted and choppy with odd intonations that didn’t match the mood of the text. The story was good but whereas the bits of history are usually added in seamlessly, this time it felt just thrown in, and so much so that it took away from the story, which overall, just didn’t flow as well as usual
Tracy
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved all the historical ties of black, Hispanic, and Native Americans in the 19th century, especially female physicians, Black vote, native traditions, etc. I learned so many interesting things while enjoying the fictional aspect. I want to enjoy more contemporary/historical AA fiction!
Lois
This had multiple 'annoying romance tropes' I found charming. I enjoyed the local history as always:)
Desiree
Having read Jewel (Eli & Jewel) early last year, I had been looking forward to reading Nate & Vivid's story. Imagine my excitement when it became available in ebook format and I'm happy to say it did not disappoint. I love the way Jenkins writes her characters and the communities they live in because you find yourself caring about them so much. Not only were the interactions between Vivid & Nate *ahem* sizzling but their banter was funny and enjoyable to read.

The Grayson Grove
Heather
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook
I was really disappointed by Vivid. I've been trying to read more romance and more African American writers, and when I saw Vivid recommended on a blog, it sounded really fascinating. A black woman doctor in the 1870s? Sign me up.

Unfortunately, though it seems like I'm oddly the only one, I thought the writing was *terrible*. It's choppy and badly paced. There's a ton of infodumping and exposition about Black history, things that might be interesting on their own but don't weave very
Bebe20018
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it.
Renee
Nov 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
I just love historical romances....only Beverly Jenkins..she adds a lot of facts
Wendy
Sep 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great intro to author, well written development of characters and storyline based on historical events
Elisabeth Lane
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. I loved everything about it. Vivid might end up being my favorite Jenkins heroine. Any woman who can handle a rifle gets an extra star from me. And Nate took some getting used to, but once we found out more about him, he was delicious. Not, perhaps, as swoony as the Black Daniel, but a lovely man and perfect for Vivid. Plus the secondary characters almost steal the show. I can't believe I waited this long to binge Jenkins' backlist.
Riikka
I like these stories about these strong, competent, untraditional women who know what they want and work through their opposition and win everyone over. Vivid was definitely a heroin to my liking. Not that Nate as a hero was bad either.

My least favorite part of this audiobook was the narration that felt very jerky at times. Looking forward to reading or listening other Beverly Jenkins books in the future. But hopefully with different narrator.
Cynthia
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this historical romance that told the story of a African American female physician in the 1900s. Vivica responds to an ad for a physician in a small Michigan Black community. She travels across country to on her own only to realize that the local community leader did not realize she was a woman. Not only was he suspicious of female physicians but he also did not believe she would stay through the harsh Michigan winter. In the telling of this story about her struggle towards ...more
Rochell Eatman-Handley
Vivid is an excellent example of a book being a good read no matter how many times you read it or how long between re-reads it is. I haven't read this book in atleast 5 years and to combine this eBook with the audiobook made it come alive like watching a movie. This book is fresh, informative and perfect for Black History month.

I've always loved Ms. Jenkins romantic historical because you learn little known black history facts without it coming across as boring or just another history lesson.
Alyssa Lane
Feb 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
If I could give this book 0 stars and get back the hours I attempted to listen to this disaster, I would. DNF 60%. I tried. I regret trying.
Lisa Harper
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adults over 21
I absolutely love this book. I have read it a least 4 times already and I am now listening to it on Audio books from my library. Beverly Jenkins is an excellent author and she is one of my very favorites. I love to read all of her books more than once. She was the first African-American Author that I found who wrote historical romance novels. Her research is awesome. She makes you feel as if you were there living in the time the novels are set in.
Kathleen Yohanna
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As historical romances go, this is one of the best I have read so far. The story takes place post Civil War and the story illustrates that women, especially black women, had many obstacles to contend with.
I love the writing style and the bits of history that are thrown in. I received this book for free from the Goodreads
first read program in a CD format. Thank you Goodreads, Beverly Jenkins and her publisher for the chance to give an honest review. I really enjoyed "Vivid".
Tony
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Good read. I enjoyed how Ms. Jenkins intertwined history specifically little known black history as well as medical history into the story. The characters were so much fun to read that I definitly be interested in being apart of this lovely little town. Growing up watching Andy Griffith, apart of me always wished for that experience.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• His to Claim (The Westmoreland Legacy)
  • Agnes Moor's Wild Knight
  • Forget Me Not (Catalina Cove)
  • Can't Escape Love (Reluctant Royals, #2.6)
  • Jane
  • If Only For One Night
  • A Prince on Paper (Reluctant Royals, #3)
  • Passion Rekindled (Brooks Family, #1)
  • I Think I Might Want You (Love Sisters Book 3)
  • Nothing to Fear (Final Hour #2)
  • A Hope Divided (The Loyal League, #2)
  • An Honorable Seduction (The Westmoreland Legacy)
  • The Rules (The Johnson Family #4)
  • A Duke by Default (Reluctant Royals, #2)
  • That Kind of Guy (Ravenswood, #3)
  • I Think I Might Need You (Love Sisters Book 2)
  • A Lesson On Love (Jenkins & Sons Construction Series Book 3)
  • The Arrangement (Hot Latin Men #1)
Beverly Jenkins is the recipient of the 2018 Michigan Author Award by the Michigan Library Association, the 2017 Romance Writers of America Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievement Award, as well as the 2016 Romantic Times Reviewers' Choice Award for historical romance. She has been nominated for the NAACP Image Award in Literature, was featured in both the documentary Love Between the Covers and on CBS ...more

The Grayson Family (2 books)
  • Jewel
“all females, regardless of age, race, or circumstances, should always be plotting rebellion to better the state of women.” 0 likes
“Michigan in Ann Arbor were seeking to establish practices in larger cities such as Boston, Philadelphia, and Richmond. Nate had written many letters, but it seemed no one wanted to practice in a place like the Grove where payment for services was more likely to be rendered in chickens and vegetables than in coin. There were also no big city amusements available unless one counted the gambling and whores at Maddie's Liberty Emporium outside town. There were no theaters, no tea houses. Only occasionally” 0 likes